Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [JS] Activision Shoveling Microtransactions Into Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1730572-javascript-activision-shoveling-microtransactions-into-crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled.html)

Gunderman456 07-31-2019 06:01 PM

Don't buy games that have microtransactions even cosmetic. Done.

Defoler 07-31-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28068464)

In today's market, that basically mean almost every popular or AAA game.

JackCY 08-01-2019 12:01 AM

Even not popular and B games. They always add some ingame coins to buy with real money to lower the grinding in free games.

Butthurt Beluga 08-01-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler (Post 28068710)
In today's market, that basically mean almost every popular or AAA game.

Ok, so where's the problem? Corporate AAA gaming is trash anyway

azanimefan 08-01-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

the problem is this game has been out for months.

these microtransactions were added in months after the games release. So explain how you're supposed to prevent this.

ToTheSun! 08-01-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azanimefan (Post 28069170)
the problem is this game has been out for months.

these microtransactions were added in months after the games release. So explain how you're supposed to prevent this.

Well, it seems to me that you could always simply not spend any money on items or bonuses if they don't hinder your gameplay significantly or at all. If it turns out they made it so that you have to spend extra money you never agreed to spend upon purchasing the game on extras in order to remain competitive in a multiplayer environment and/or expect a leisurely feasible experience in singleplayer modes, I guess you're screwed, and your only recourse is review bombing and not buying subsequent games from relevant publishers and/or developers.

bigjdubb 08-01-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

I would much rather enjoy the game without making any microtransactions.

Does the player base that is making all these microtransactions not share any responsibility for it's spread? The vocal minority rails against these things while quite a few people seem to be spending their money and enjoying their new multicolored pants with matching vest.

I think we need a new acronym, GJW's Gamer Justice Warriors, it's our way or the highway.

Slaughtahouse 08-01-2019 10:22 AM

Who really cares about micro transactions? Unless they impact game play or present an unfair advantage, then I honestly don't mind.

For instance, Killing Floor 2 is loaded with "micro transactions" but they are all cosmetic.

Let's say the upcoming CoD MW remake allowed users to buy the final unlock weapons... does that really matter? You have the opportunity to unlock it for yourself and if you value your time vs $, it may be justified to spend $2 to get the final unlock.

The grey area (from my understanding) is the amount of time required to unlock. Once developers put up pay walls for unlocks, such as the final weapon in CoD, the developer can begin to manipulate gamers. Such as requiring 1,000,000,000 XP to unlock (without paying). Which may take 1,000 hours...

Developers have access to everyones information (including total hours). If they determine 75% of users only play CoD for 200 hours, they can easily push those unlocks to require users to play for a minimum of 300 hours.

Has that ever happened? Maybe? I honestly don't know.

However, I hate micro transactions which impact game play AND can only be acquired through additional purchases.

Gunderman456 08-01-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse (Post 28069392)
Who really cares about micro transactions? Unless they impact game play or present an unfair advantage, then I honestly don't mind.

For instance, Killing Floor 2 is loaded with "micro transactions" but they are all cosmetic.

Let's say the upcoming CoD MW remake allowed users to buy the final unlock weapons... does that really matter? You have the opportunity to unlock it for yourself and if you value your time vs $, it may be justified to spend $2 to get the final unlock.

The grey area (from my understanding) is the amount of time required to unlock. Once developers put up pay walls for unlocks, such as the final weapon in CoD, the developer can begin to manipulate gamers. Such as requiring 1,000,000,000 XP to unlock (without paying). Which may take 1,000 hours...

Developers have access to everyones information (including total hours). If they determine 75% of users only play CoD for 200 hours, they can easily push those unlocks to require users to play for a minimum of 300 hours.

Has that ever happened? Maybe? I honestly don't know.

However, I hate micro transactions which impact game play AND can only be acquired through additional purchases.

Stop repeating this nonesense. These companies know how to play people (use psychology) and even on the level of cosmetic microtransactions they take advantage of young people, weaker minded people, keeping up with the Joneses type personalities and whales that may or may not be able to afford their impulses, not to mention the bullying that takes place on those that refuse to partake in these egregious microtransactions.

Watch the video and open your mind. This is bigger then just you.

bigjdubb 08-01-2019 02:11 PM

Well I gave in and watched the video. I agree with most of the base information, but not necessarily the conclusions he draws from it. I have strong disagreements regarding the bullying, or at least against the implication that kids wouldn't be bullying each other about fortnite if it didn't have micro transactions. That seems really naive to me.

I don't think I will continue further just in case some of the folks here are as madly passionate about this subject as the crazy guy in the video.