Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [JS] Activision Shoveling Microtransactions Into Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1730572-javascript-activision-shoveling-microtransactions-into-crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled.html)

TK421 07-31-2019 12:27 PM

[JS] Activision Shoveling Microtransactions Into Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

Quote:

To the surprise of only those who haven't kept an eye on Activision's modus operandi, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is getting microtransactions.

Yes, a remake of a 20-year-old game will soon allow for the "option" of purchasing Wumpa Coins with real money to skip grinding for them. With a storefront that resembled Fortnite's, the groundwork was clearly in place.

Yet again, Activision has smuggled microtransactions in long after game reviews were published, weeks after launch, and it stinks. Microtransactions don't belong in there to begin with, but these post-launch additions are really getting despicable.

Some other website have similar article.

speed_demon 07-31-2019 12:29 PM

It's bad for games but good for business. Sadly.

bigjdubb 07-31-2019 12:58 PM

Microtransactions are hit or miss with me. They aren't that bad as long as the real money to game money ratio is reasonable. Things can get out of hand when it's done like GTA V where an in game item can cost you more real money than the game itself did. The other issue is when they make in game items priced higher than what people can reasonably grind out. If you have to grind all day for weeks to buy something, IMO, it costs too much and it was probably done intentionally to sell game currency.

At some point we are either going to have to accept DLC and microtransactions as the way it is, or accept paying more than 59.99 for a game. I don't think we can have both.

ToTheSun! 07-31-2019 01:13 PM

The part about kids being bullied for having a "default" character in Fortnite killed me. I guess this is where we are now.

bigjdubb 07-31-2019 01:16 PM

I felt guilty for commenting without watching the video, but now that I read your post I'm glad I didn't.

skupples 07-31-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjdubb (Post 28068010)
Microtransactions are hit or miss with me. They aren't that bad as long as the real money to game money ratio is reasonable. Things can get out of hand when it's done like GTA V where an in game item can cost you more real money than the game itself did. The other issue is when they make in game items priced higher than what people can reasonably grind out. If you have to grind all day for weeks to buy something, IMO, it costs too much and it was probably done intentionally to sell game currency.

At some point we are either going to have to accept DLC and microtransactions as the way it is, or accept paying more than 59.99 for a game. I don't think we can have both.

agreed, it's been quite some time since the standard game MSRP hit $60.00.

DNMock 07-31-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28068144)
agreed, it's been quite some time since the standard game MSRP hit $60.00.

I honestly am not too sure about that though. The development costs have gone up for sure, but the cost of manufacturing the goods (the cartridges/cases/manuals/disks) has all but vanished with everything going digital. Granted, it might only cost $1 or $2 for printing the games/manuals per unit after shipping them, but when you are talking 5 to 10 million copies being sold of a game across all platforms, that's 5 to 20 million in savings and easily offsets the added development costs.

Asmodian 07-31-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28068218)
Granted, it might only cost $1 or $2 for printing the games/manuals per unit after shipping them, but when you are talking 5 to 10 million copies being sold of a game across all platforms, that's 5 to 20 million in savings and easily offsets the added development costs.

Isn't that only a savings of $1-2 per copy though? If a game needs to cost more than $60 to make money saving $1 per copy isn't going to make up the difference. $61 per copy wouldn't cover the difference in development costs, if it did this entire point would be pretty irrelevant.

Nightbird 07-31-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodian (Post 28068304)
Isn't that only a savings of $1-2 per copy though? If a game needs to cost more than $60 to make money saving $1 per copy isn't going to make up the difference. $61 per copy wouldn't cover the difference in development costs, if it did this entire point would be pretty irrelevant.

Going from brick-and-mortar to digital (steam anyways) saved more than 1-2$, the store took 50% so the developer only took home under 30$ of that 60$ game. Steam takes 30%, so 30$ to 42$ per sale was a big 40% bump back then. Now, there's even lower margin competitors. Basically, devs are getting a lot more per sale than before.

JackCY 07-31-2019 05:58 PM

A new update for a game, what's in it? Microtransactions to avoid increased grinding.
A new update for an application, what's in it? A whole installer that forces you to install 3rd party bloatware, oh and a couple of bug fixes.

Gunderman456 07-31-2019 06:01 PM

Don't buy games that have microtransactions even cosmetic. Done.

Defoler 07-31-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28068464)

In today's market, that basically mean almost every popular or AAA game.

JackCY 08-01-2019 12:01 AM

Even not popular and B games. They always add some ingame coins to buy with real money to lower the grinding in free games.

Butthurt Beluga 08-01-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler (Post 28068710)
In today's market, that basically mean almost every popular or AAA game.

Ok, so where's the problem? Corporate AAA gaming is trash anyway

azanimefan 08-01-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

the problem is this game has been out for months.

these microtransactions were added in months after the games release. So explain how you're supposed to prevent this.

ToTheSun! 08-01-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azanimefan (Post 28069170)
the problem is this game has been out for months.

these microtransactions were added in months after the games release. So explain how you're supposed to prevent this.

Well, it seems to me that you could always simply not spend any money on items or bonuses if they don't hinder your gameplay significantly or at all. If it turns out they made it so that you have to spend extra money you never agreed to spend upon purchasing the game on extras in order to remain competitive in a multiplayer environment and/or expect a leisurely feasible experience in singleplayer modes, I guess you're screwed, and your only recourse is review bombing and not buying subsequent games from relevant publishers and/or developers.

bigjdubb 08-01-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

I would much rather enjoy the game without making any microtransactions.

Does the player base that is making all these microtransactions not share any responsibility for it's spread? The vocal minority rails against these things while quite a few people seem to be spending their money and enjoying their new multicolored pants with matching vest.

I think we need a new acronym, GJW's Gamer Justice Warriors, it's our way or the highway.

Slaughtahouse 08-01-2019 10:22 AM

Who really cares about micro transactions? Unless they impact game play or present an unfair advantage, then I honestly don't mind.

For instance, Killing Floor 2 is loaded with "micro transactions" but they are all cosmetic.

Let's say the upcoming CoD MW remake allowed users to buy the final unlock weapons... does that really matter? You have the opportunity to unlock it for yourself and if you value your time vs $, it may be justified to spend $2 to get the final unlock.

The grey area (from my understanding) is the amount of time required to unlock. Once developers put up pay walls for unlocks, such as the final weapon in CoD, the developer can begin to manipulate gamers. Such as requiring 1,000,000,000 XP to unlock (without paying). Which may take 1,000 hours...

Developers have access to everyones information (including total hours). If they determine 75% of users only play CoD for 200 hours, they can easily push those unlocks to require users to play for a minimum of 300 hours.

Has that ever happened? Maybe? I honestly don't know.

However, I hate micro transactions which impact game play AND can only be acquired through additional purchases.

Gunderman456 08-01-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse (Post 28069392)
Who really cares about micro transactions? Unless they impact game play or present an unfair advantage, then I honestly don't mind.

For instance, Killing Floor 2 is loaded with "micro transactions" but they are all cosmetic.

Let's say the upcoming CoD MW remake allowed users to buy the final unlock weapons... does that really matter? You have the opportunity to unlock it for yourself and if you value your time vs $, it may be justified to spend $2 to get the final unlock.

The grey area (from my understanding) is the amount of time required to unlock. Once developers put up pay walls for unlocks, such as the final weapon in CoD, the developer can begin to manipulate gamers. Such as requiring 1,000,000,000 XP to unlock (without paying). Which may take 1,000 hours...

Developers have access to everyones information (including total hours). If they determine 75% of users only play CoD for 200 hours, they can easily push those unlocks to require users to play for a minimum of 300 hours.

Has that ever happened? Maybe? I honestly don't know.

However, I hate micro transactions which impact game play AND can only be acquired through additional purchases.

Stop repeating this nonesense. These companies know how to play people (use psychology) and even on the level of cosmetic microtransactions they take advantage of young people, weaker minded people, keeping up with the Joneses type personalities and whales that may or may not be able to afford their impulses, not to mention the bullying that takes place on those that refuse to partake in these egregious microtransactions.

Watch the video and open your mind. This is bigger then just you.

bigjdubb 08-01-2019 02:11 PM

Well I gave in and watched the video. I agree with most of the base information, but not necessarily the conclusions he draws from it. I have strong disagreements regarding the bullying, or at least against the implication that kids wouldn't be bullying each other about fortnite if it didn't have micro transactions. That seems really naive to me.

I don't think I will continue further just in case some of the folks here are as madly passionate about this subject as the crazy guy in the video.

TheBDK 08-01-2019 02:31 PM

I guess they learned from Blizzard. My favorite youngling company, now I wish it gets erased from gaming history. It will though, give it time because that's all us sad consumers have in the fight against these companies.

Oh and let's add even more drm. Why not.

skupples 08-02-2019 10:42 AM

my problem is micro isn't micro anymore. "microtransaction" = "small amounts of money changing hands"

k.

girugamesh 08-02-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga (Post 28069068)
Ok, so where's the problem? Corporate AAA gaming is trash anyway

True. The only AAA game that seems to be REALLY good this entire generation is RDR2, I'll play it eventually.

Resident Evil 2 is average, Zodiac Age is good but it's a remake of a 2007 game and I played IZJS a lot already.

I'm sure there's a good game here and there that I haven't played yet or which isn't my style but in general yes, mainstream videogames are boring now. For reference, last game I beat was Castlevania Lament of Innocence. I like how simple and straightforward it is. Current games are often so bloated in comparison. The one element that immediately makes me stop playing any game now are crafting mechanics. It's so dumb and overused.

ToTheSun! 08-02-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girugamesh (Post 28071306)
Zodiac Age is good but it's a remake of a 2007 game and I played IZJS a lot already.

Well, considering you're supposed to pick 2 jobs instead of just 1, it's a different game in the sense that it's generally easier and you get to min-max (a lot) for fun.

The only real challenge would be the Trials' stage 100, which is easily more complicated than Yiazmat and Zodiark.

girugamesh 08-02-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28071490)
Well, considering you're supposed to pick 2 jobs instead of just 1, it's a different game in the sense that it's generally easier and you get to min-max (a lot) for fun.

The only real challenge would be the Trials' stage 100, which is easily more complicated than Yiazmat and Zodiark.

I mean it's good, but it's not exactly new, so not an example of something great born out of the current gen.

Imglidinhere 08-02-2019 09:16 PM

Microtransactions in games don't bother me when the entire game is free to play. When the game costs any kind of cash up front to play, usually with these titles that's $30 or more, adding more transactions after that point is just dumb. The reason it works with mobile titles and other games is because you only ever spend single dollar amounts, usually less than $3 for the game itself and maybe $1-$2 boosts here and there. It's easy to lose track of ten $1 purchases rather than one $10 purchase.

Malinkadink 08-02-2019 11:21 PM

F2P games microtransactions are OK, B2P games microtransactions are OK within REASON ie Guild Wars 2 its an MMORPG so it has ongoing costs to maintain servers etc so it needs micro-transactions to keep it going. Subscription games which are typically MMORPGs should absolutely not have any microtransactions but unfortunately that isn't the case like WoW for example, granted the microtransactions in WoW are pets/toys/mounts, but the mounts are actually a point of contention because some of them are actually really cool unique mounts that would be a good sign of prestige if locked behind a difficult achievement or something similar, but nah $25 and its yours really sours the taste and defeats any feelings of accomplishment.

Really though microtransactions in anygame that isn't F2P is a cancer on gaming and the only real way to stop these things is to not buy into them. Unfortunately these lootboxes play into the weaknesses of human psychology so for many its difficult to resist. Microtransactions aren't new, and they've never bothered me before, but when they deliberately start to design these games with those "time savers" in mind then i get angry because now they're insulting the value of my time by saying you can totally just spend a lot of time grinding these sidequests that offer no meaningful content to catch up to the main story, or you can pay us more $$$ to skip the boring stuff. Yeah okay, how about i just don't buy your game? Or i go get it for "free" and cheat to overcome stupid hurdles put in place to try and force you to spend money on lootboxes. If only more developers could be like cd projekt red.

PhillyB 08-03-2019 05:22 AM

I just wanted to say thank you to the posters in this thread. I randomly clicked on it because I can't stand micro transactions that break games. Since I run a game studio, I just wrote this into my game studio's customer policy.

"[studio name] considers purchasable "Loot Boxes" to be customer robbery. It is not gambling. Gambling implies there is a winning outcome for the customer and purchasable loot boxes do not provide that criteria. They will never be offered by [studio name] and any company which condones their use is harshly judged by this studio."

"Micro transactions are much more difficult to disregard. Some can be good, while others are not. If [studio name] produces content for micro transactions, they will be superficial and cosmetic only. Items available in the game through play will never be available through external purchase, nor will items which change game play (such as a special weapon or armor)."

(i redacted the studio name because I didn't want to get accused of advertising.)

I share your opinions on loot boxes and micro transactions, but didn't think to put it in writing.

Did I miss any key points?

(just as a side note: I bet when people were typing away they never thought it would actually impact a game studio's policy.)

ToTheSun! 08-03-2019 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyB (Post 28072048)
I just wanted to say thank you to the posters in this thread. I randomly clicked on it because I can't stand micro transactions that break games. Since I run a game studio, I just wrote this into my game studio's customer policy.

"[studio name] considers purchasable "Loot Boxes" to be customer robbery. It is not gambling. Gambling implies there is a winning outcome for the customer and purchasable loot boxes do not provide that criteria. They will never be offered by [studio name] and any company which condones their use is harshly judged by this studio."

"Micro transactions are much more difficult to disregard. Some can be good, while others are not. If [studio name] produces content for micro transactions, they will be superficial and cosmetic only. Items available in the game through play will never be available through external purchase, nor will items which change game play (such as a special weapon or armor)."

(i redacted the studio name because I didn't want to get accused of advertising.)

I share your opinions on loot boxes and micro transactions, but didn't think to put it in writing.

Did I miss any key points?

(just as a side note: I bet when people were typing away they never thought it would actually impact a game studio's policy.)

I think you should make a point of not adding microtransactions after the game has released and has been bought by customers. The player should know upfront what they're buying, and these features should be clear to anyone. People could be paying $[insert amount] upon purchase, and that's the agreed sum on both parts, publisher and consumer. Anything beyond that is betraying trust.

With this single point, I have absolutely no objection to either lootboxes or microtransactions. With this kind of transparency, the customer always knows what they're buying from the get-go.

PhillyB 08-03-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28072064)
I think you should make a point of not adding microtransactions after the game has released and has been bought by customers. The player should know upfront what they're buying, and these features should be clear to anyone. People could be paying $[insert amount] upon purchase, and that's the agreed sum on both parts, publisher and consumer. Anything beyond that is betraying trust.

With this single point, I have absolutely no objection to either lootboxes or microtransactions. With this kind of transparency, the customer always knows what they're buying from the get-go.

I honestly have no intention of using microtransactions at all. I hate them for the most part. The studio is small and will only be making single player games for the foreseeable future. I wrote it so that if for some reason it was added, they would never impact game play or encourage pay to win models. I think most players wont mind having additions to cosmetic options later. But, if others agree with you then I will happily reconsider it.

I like transparency as well. Nothing worse than hiding things from customers. My main gripes are opt-out data collection, or even more popular cant-opt-out data collection, and customer robbery by knowingly selling broken games at launch with planned repairs later. I make these policies public, because we as customers should be able to know what our purchases are and what they do.

TheBDK 08-03-2019 07:00 AM

Remember Skyrim and Fallout 4? All of a sudden paid mods were introduced, 4 years after the games were released. It's a despicable way of treating your customers.