Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Getting static randomly when gaming at 4k (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1730970-getting-static-randomly-when-gaming-4k.html)

Destrto 08-06-2019 06:22 PM

Getting static randomly when gaming at 4k

Hey everyone, I'm a little stumped at the moment on this issue.

I just recently bought a Sceptre (Don't hate) 55" UHD 4k Tv. And the issue is, when I game at 4k, every few minutes the screen will cut to static, as if the signal is lost. Then a split second later it comes right back as if nothing happened. This happens within minutes of playing most any game I've tried so far (The Crew, NFS Most Wanted, EVE Online as examples).

When I turn the resolution down to 1080P, it never happens.

I thought it may have been my older HDMI cable, so I bought a new one that specified HDMI 2.0 and [email protected] No Change.
I'm running the latest AMD Drivers 19.7.5. Latest Win 10 x64.

My Specs are:
AMD FX 8370 @ Stock (Under full water loop, 2x240mm rads in P/P)
RX 580 Red Devil @ Stock (Reaching 80C under load, possibly an overheating issue?)
16Gb G. Skill Sniper DDR3-2100Mhz

Anyone have any thoughts? This is my first venture into 4k, so admittedly I'm new to any expectations.

Destrto 08-07-2019 07:43 AM

I have tried turning GPU Scaling on and off within AMD's settings. That made no difference. This tv has a setting to switch between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0. That didn't seem to make a difference either.

I have not yet tried playing a movie in 4k to see if it happens there as well.

Destrto 08-08-2019 07:28 AM

Tried a movie last night that I think was running in 4K (Netflix). And it did not seem to cut out like it did while gaming.

I also noticed this, that might be helpful.

GPU Temps at 1080P - 55C
GPU Temps at 4K - 78-80C

The Pook 08-08-2019 08:18 AM

you're hitting 80c watching Netflix and you're wondering if it's an overheating issue? :laughings

I'd sort that out before you kill the card.

Destrto 08-08-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28080034)
you're hitting 80c watching Netflix and you're wondering if it's an overheating issue? :laughings

I'd sort that out before you kill the card.

Hitting that temp while gaming. Not watching netflix.. Sorry for not clarifying

Socks keep you warm 08-08-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destrto (Post 28080040)
Hitting that temp while gaming. Not watching netflix.. Sorry for not clarifying

Sounds like either the cable or TV issue. If it only happens with the TV than i reckon something is wrong with the optical display port.

Destrto 08-08-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm (Post 28080042)
Sounds like either the cable or TV issue. If it only happens with the TV than i reckon something is wrong with the optical display port.

I was watching Netflix through the PC. So I'm not for certain if it was at 4K or not. I just know that I only get this issue while gaming.

I did try a new HDMI cable that stated it was for [email protected], for what that's worth.

Native resolution of the TV is [email protected] (2160P). However I do notice that whenever I change the resolution, the TV changes back to 30Hz.

Not sure if any of this is helpful.

briank 08-08-2019 09:55 AM

Normally I'd say this is a cable or TV issue. Perhaps you can try different inputs on the TV and outputs on the GPU.

Your temperature is interesting though. Anyway to down tune the card to get temps under control? Anything up with you case that your GPU is not getting any fresh air?

Socks keep you warm 08-08-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destrto (Post 28080054)
I was watching Netflix through the PC. So I'm not for certain if it was at 4K or not. I just know that I only get this issue while gaming.

I did try a new HDMI cable that stated it was for [email protected], for what that's worth.

Native resolution of the TV is [email protected] (2160P). However I do notice that whenever I change the resolution, the TV changes back to 30Hz.

Not sure if any of this is helpful.

You have manually changed the GPU to output 4k @ 60Hz? Are you sure that your TV supports HDMI 2.0? Are you sure that your GPU supports HDMI 2.0?
HDMI 1.4 will support 4k at 30hz only.
If you can get it running at 4k 30hz and not 60 i assume this is your issue.
I cannot find the actual specs for this tv online?

EDIT: If you are using the 290 X which is in your sig it does not support HDMI 2.0. I owned this card, you can however run 60Hz with Display Port.

Destrto 08-09-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briank (Post 28080148)
Normally I'd say this is a cable or TV issue. Perhaps you can try different inputs on the TV and outputs on the GPU.

Your temperature is interesting though. Anyway to down tune the card to get temps under control? Anything up with you case that your GPU is not getting any fresh air?

I did try every input on the TV, with no difference. I believe it is a heat issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm (Post 28081074)
You have manually changed the GPU to output 4k @ 60Hz? Are you sure that your TV supports HDMI 2.0? Are you sure that your GPU supports HDMI 2.0?
HDMI 1.4 will support 4k at 30hz only.
If you can get it running at 4k 30hz and not 60 i assume this is your issue.
I cannot find the actual specs for this tv online?

EDIT: If you are using the 290 X which is in your sig it does not support HDMI 2.0. I owned this card, you can however run 60Hz with Display Port.

Tv Supports HDMI 2.0, it has a setting that allows me to switch between 1.4 and 2.0. https://www.sceptre.com/overview-365.html
I have to change the monitor options within Windows back to 60Hz whenever I change the resolution. (Display adapter properties>Monitor tab)
It runs at [email protected]

I am not using a 290X, I used to , which is why I have that in my Sig. I am now using a PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil.