Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Forbes] Microsoft Confirms Update Warning For Windows 10, Windows 8.1 And Windows 7 Users (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1731656-forbes-microsoft-confirms-update-warning-windows-10-windows-8-1-windows-7-users.html)

WannaBeOCer 08-17-2019 03:40 PM

[Forbes] Microsoft Confirms Update Warning For Windows 10, Windows 8.1 And Windows 7 Users

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywi...s-7-users/amp/

Quote:

The latest Patch Tuesday update from Microsoft included several critical security fixes. Unfortunately, as Microsoft has now confirmed, it also borked some things. If you haven’t applied that August 13 update and are running on Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, you may want to read this before you do.

What’s the problem with the latest Patch Tuesday Windows update?

Microsoft has confirmed a bunch of “known issues” with the August 13 Windows update. Some, such as the “black screen during first logon after installing updates” issue, have hit users after previous updates. That can be filed in the annoying but ultimately not much to worry about folder: it only impacts a “small number” of users and only the first time they logon after the update.

Anything that impacts millions of users is a far more serious thing. And so it is that Microsoft has confirmed that this Patch Tuesday update does just that.

UltraMega 08-17-2019 10:35 PM

Hardly seems news worthy. A small chance of a black screen only on the one time you boot after the update.. so a few people might have to reboot once. Wow stop the presses.

WannaBeOCer 08-17-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28092668)
Hardly seems news worthy. A small chance of a black screen only on the one time you boot after the update.. so a few people might have to reboot once. Wow stop the presses.

There's another issue if you actually read the article.

UltraMega 08-18-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 28092674)
There's another issue if you actually read the article.

If there's something important not indicated at all in this news post then what's the point of this news post?

JackCY 08-18-2019 06:58 AM

Yeah I was wondering why Windows borked itself again with black screen, not responding to anything other than hard reset and in event log only showing some undescribed issue with user profile. Well now I know, it was that damn security update I rushed it to do. Needless to say it went back to maximum deferred updates right after anyway.

It certainly is a security issue if their updates are of open source backyard quality and every time they happen something else breaks. People will not want to install updates and go to extra lengths to prevent Windows updates even more than they already do because of these endless issues.

I do use VB/VBA in one of my spreadsheets, don't tell me it's broken now! As lazy as M$ is with installing updates on my older hardware there really is nowhere to rush in recent years with their endless bork ups each update.

WannaBeOCer 08-18-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28092762)
If there's something important not indicated at all in this news post then what's the point of this news post?

Are you going to troll every news post? You need to just open your eyes and read before commenting. Let me quote the OP since it seems like you missed it.

Quote:

Microsoft has confirmed a bunch of “known issues” with the August 13 Windows update. Some, such as the “black screen during first logon after installing updates” issue, have hit users after previous updates. That can be filed in the annoying but ultimately not much to worry about folder: it only impacts a “small number” of users and only the first time they logon after the update.

steadly2004 08-19-2019 06:10 AM

I got back from vacation and updated my PC and laptop. Not realizing this potential problem existed. Luckily I didn't receive any black screens.

miklkit 08-19-2019 06:38 AM

Yeah, updated a laptop and desktop with no issues.

PontiacGTX 08-19-2019 07:09 AM

so when they are going to address the driver security hole because I dont know these updates fixed that in some cases seems that a 7th gen intel cpu or newer is required

treetops422 08-19-2019 08:42 AM

"Don’t assume that VB6 isn’t something that concerns you as a non-programmer Windows user. It almost certainly does if you, or your organization, use Microsoft Office. VBA apps along with VB6 still power Office scripts, macros and processes that are essential for many businesses"
There now you don't have to read the article.