Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   1440p monitor options (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1731672-1440p-monitor-options.html)

Shaded War 08-18-2019 03:54 AM

1440p monitor options

Looking for the best options in the 1440p 144Hz IPS category.

I was hoping to pick up the LG 27GL850 within the next month but the rtings review showed 700:1 contrast ratio. I only play games after 10pm so it's completely dark in the house. If the black levels of the monitor are this bad combined with a dark room, I don't think I would be happy. Plus the 1 year warranty is a red flag.

The Asus ASUS PG279QZ had a much better contrast reports on rtings and is apparently their best rated monitor. The motion blur is slightly worse than the LG but I can't imagine it being an issue.

I'm not really sure what to do here. I'v been looking for a monitor since ~2015 and there always seems to be some problem with the products that makes me not want to bother. I also wanted to try 21:9, but I'm not completely sold on it when they all seem to sacrifice features and cost way more.

Leopardi 08-18-2019 04:07 AM

PG279QR should have better BLB situation, if their zero frame design reaps the same benefits as Acer's XB271HU did.

There's also PG279QE apparently with traditional Asus BLB-bezels, I don't know if it's just a renamed PG279QZ. What a mess these model names.

shilka 08-18-2019 04:23 AM

From what i understood the PG279QZ is actually worse than the old PG279Q in some ways but i might have misunderstood

poliacido 08-18-2019 04:39 AM

I have the PG279Q and i can tell it's the best monitor i've ever had
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews...ift_pg279q.htm

JackCY 08-18-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopardi (Post 28092828)
PG279QR should have better BLB situation, if their zero frame design reaps the same benefits as Acer's XB271HU did.

There's also PG279QE apparently with traditional Asus BLB-bezels, I don't know if it's just a renamed PG279QZ. What a mess these model names.

QE is the economic version with no RGB cancer and such at least from what I remember reading.

LG always has minimal warranty as allowed by law in any country, so for 1 year you can only blame your gov.
That's simply how LG rolls to reduce losses. Buy a several thousands TV? No problem, here is minimal warranty :D They really don't care. If you want more you have to buy warranty from 3rd party and many shops try to sell that sort of stuff.

AUO is spitting out new variants of IPS 27" 1440p in 165Hz and 240Hz Q3/4 2019. And they've already had that M270DAN2.x up to at least 2.6 last time I had one.

The mounting of newer panels and frames can help with BLB but it heavily depends on implementation, you can have old version with low BLB and good frame while newer version has bad frame design for it despite having better mounting options.

From a technical perspective large thick bezels are desirable as it gives more structural integrity and space to mount things properly.
Those newer zero frame designs often only wrap around the panel and warp all around it due to them being inject molded thin plastic, so they do press on sides of the panel, here are gaps in some parts etc. it's not a pretty sight at times how big the tolerances and warping is.

You can find my summary thread in signature, I will try add what is there on news on TFTC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poliacido (Post 28092852)
I have the PG279Q and i can tell it's the best monitor i've ever had
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews...ift_pg279q.htm

A massive lottery on those.

Shaded War 08-18-2019 09:50 PM

What do you all think the best move to do is. At some point it would be nice to get off these old monitors and move up. It's been nearly 5 years of looking for something worth my time that didn't come packed with QC flaws. But nothing seems to be improving.

Should I wait until the PG279QE comes out and see if QC improves any? Get something currently out now? I'm so lost because of the panel lottery issues makes me want to avoid these monitors all together.

Leopardi 08-19-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaded War (Post 28093804)
What do you all think the best move to do is. At some point it would be nice to get off these old monitors and move up. It's been nearly 5 years of looking for something worth my time that didn't come packed with QC flaws. But nothing seems to be improving.

Should I wait until the PG279QE comes out and see if QC improves any? Get something currently out now? I'm so lost because of the panel lottery issues makes me want to avoid these monitors all together.

QE will be the same old bezel so it won't improve QC, but QR has the zeroframe, would be interesting to see how it does.

If you're ready to lock yourself to nvidia, the Viewsonic XG2703 is still sold at retailers and has potentially good QC as well. I wouldn't recommend XB271HU without gamma controls, it can look really washed out with no way to fix.

There are also 75Hz alternatives at a decent price, if you want to go with a stop-gap solution while waiting for the OLED screens for example.

JackCY 08-19-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaded War (Post 28093804)

It's been the same 5 years ago indeed, 100Hz+ non existent and even 60Hz was plagued with QC issues, decent panels stuck at 60Hz electronics. 2015+ more options available at 100Hz+ but kind of one worse than the other with AUO holding almost a monopoly for half a decade.
You can try play the lottery on some models you like but in the end it really is a big lottery.

Maybe check the EVE Spectrum and see what they are able to do with the LG panel, if they are able to get a better variant of it, etc. If they will do a better QC at higher price, and so on.

The 75Hz market is fairly limited too, there were some older 27" IPS in 75Hz but those had terrible BLB and glow issues all over shopping sites posted by customers.
I only know about the AOC Q3279VWFD8 that's newer and fairly usable if you're not unlucky with calibration or something. It's not the best, nor the fastest but it's OK at most aspects and has a low price making it great value. There is also an LG variant, harder to find any reviews but I did once and a friend has it but I haven't heard much after he got it:

https://geizhals.eu/aoc-q3279vwfd8-a1831967.html
https://geizhals.eu/lg-electronics-3...-a1951236.html

With the 27" IPS 144Hz+ you're stuck with AUO, Innolux, LG panels for now, AUO being miserable since 2014 with terrible lottery, Innolux released recently but similar issues and LG released now with their push for faster response time sacrificing contrast. And then you have all the quirks of each monitor model to add to the panel issues. And they often cost a fortune of 500+ EUR unless you try luck with the 400 EUR models which I think when it comes to Acer get the worst panel bin of all.

There is no win so far. All you can do is find shops that let you return at no cost to you and try lottery with a few monitors.

Shaded War 08-21-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCY (Post 28094218)
With the 27" IPS 144Hz+ you're stuck with AUO, Innolux, LG panels for now, AUO being miserable since 2014 with terrible lottery, Innolux released recently but similar issues and LG released now with their push for faster response time sacrificing contrast. And then you have all the quirks of each monitor model to add to the panel issues. And they often cost a fortune of 500+ EUR unless you try luck with the 400 EUR models which I think when it comes to Acer get the worst panel bin of all.

There is no win so far. All you can do is find shops that let you return at no cost to you and try lottery with a few monitors.

That is what I was suspecting. I'm not really wanting to screw about with multiple RMAs to try to get a good panel. If there was any perfect 1440p IPS I would probably buy it even if it costed over 500.

So I'v kind of narrowed it down to a couple of options.

Wait for the PG279QR and see if it's better. Or give the LG a chance considering it gets away from gsync exclusivity as a bonus.

But I'm starting to lean toward trying an ultrawide out. The 34GK950F-B seems to be a pretty well reviewed product if you can look past the 800:1 contrast.
I set up my 3 screen eyefinity / surround to play Borderlands 2 again, and I'v been enjoying the larger FOV. I think I would probably like 21:9 quite a bit since you get the FOV advantage without having the bezels and extra bulk. My only concern is game support being a bit sketchy when you shy from 16:9.

Also, does anyone know how "fulfilled by amazon" works? If I order a display and it turns out to be a lemon, will it be just as easy to get a refund like amazon direct or will the third party be involved? I ask because most of the decent priced monitors I see are all sold like this.

JackCY 08-21-2019 07:27 AM

On Amazon.de when it's fullfilled by Amazon it's shipped from Amazon warehouse on behalf of the 3rd party and Amazon handles sending and receiving (warranty/RMAs/returns). You can probably find this in their endless support/help pages or ask them.

EVE Spectrum should have LG panel, when and for how much, who knows. https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-m...l#post28030826

Ultrawides cost a fortune and most are nothing more but a wider 27" 16:9. So it's still pretty small height wise and you get the same PPI/scaling issues for text/office/web. There are plenty older, some newer, most are curved which to me is highly undesirable.
LG and their latest IPS... contrast is sometimes meh, 800-1000:1.