Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/)
-   -   Should i switch to Normal noctua fans? Positive pressure and quietness (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1731920-should-i-switch-normal-noctua-fans-positive-pressure-quietness.html)

Synoxia 08-21-2019 04:58 PM

Should i switch to Normal noctua fans? Positive pressure and quietness

I am trying to improve both my air cooling performance and quietness.
Fan config is x2 intake industrial 2000 noctua, x2 D15 chromax, x1 exhaust industrial 2000.
I want to achieve positive pressure case by raising intake fan speed. However i noticed that after 1200 rpm industrial motor whines and is audible compared to chromax which is silent until 1400rpm.
Should i replace those industrial 2000 on front with somethimg else? Im never gonna run them at 2000 unless > 75c which means never.
I also thought i could remove 1 noctua chromax from the d15 and use it as intake on the top... but i think that would sacrifice too much cooling performance... no?
Any ideas? The case is a phanteks enthoo pro M temoered glass with stock air filters (i only removed the one on top)

The Pook 08-21-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synoxia (Post 28097770)
I also thought i could remove 1 noctua chromax from the d15 and use it as intake on the top... but i think that would sacrifice too much cooling performance... no?

try it and see, would take all of .... 15 minutes?

I run my iPPC 3000 at a fixed 600 until 70c (then 800 until 80c and 1200 at 90c) on my radiator and they're silent and do a good enough job as my only intakes. If you need to run yours at 1200 to get good enough performance then it sounds like you have other issues than fan choice.

Regardless, I've been happy with my Phanteks F140XP, I'm using 4 @ 600-1000 RPM as exhaust and they're plenty quiet. Maybe look into those (or the MP if they're going on a radiator).

Rocklin 08-21-2019 05:25 PM

some tests/advice =)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techta...id=wh_positive

http://www.ronwoods.us/2013/08/posit...e-pc-case.html

http://www.scholarlygamers.com/tech-...-air-pressure/

Synoxia 08-22-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28097782)
try it and see, would take all of .... 15 minutes?

I run my iPPC 3000 at a fixed 600 RPM (until 70c) on my radiator and they're silent and do a good enough job as my only intakes. If you need to run yours at 1200 to get good enough performance then it sounds like you have other issues than fan choice.

Regardless, I've been happy with my Phanteks F140XP, I'm using 4 @ 1000 RPM as exhaust and they're plenty quiet. Maybe look into those (or the MP if they're going on a radiator).

ryzen 3000 scales with temp, i mtrying to get the most cooling out without too much noise

ciarlatano 08-22-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synoxia (Post 28098322)
ryzen 3000 scales with temp, i mtrying to get the most cooling out without too much noise

First off, if you run the two intakes and single exhaust at the same speed, you already have positive pressure.

Second, I'm going to throw a curveball at you......go dig out those F140MP fans that came with your case (provided it came with the MP style, and isn't an older case that came with the SP) and try them as intakes. In the lower rpm ranges that you are going for they move more air with less noise in this application than the Noctuas that you replaced them with.

Synoxia 08-22-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciarlatano (Post 28098350)
First off, if you run the two intakes and single exhaust at the same speed, you already have positive pressure.

Second, I'm going to throw a curveball at you......go dig out those F140MP fans that came with your case (provided it came with the MP style, and isn't an older case that came with the SP) and try them as intakes. In the lower rpm ranges that you are going for they move more air with less noise in this application than the Noctuas that you replaced them with.

Damn. I already throw them in the bin unfortunately (the mp)... which fan you recommend buying then? P.S I use the provided dust filter... shouldn't static pressure fan be better for this?

Also, there are 2 intakes and 1 exhaust but didn't you count the D15 fans?

doyll 08-22-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciarlatano (Post 28098350)

What carlatano said above. :thumb:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synoxia (Post 28098372)
Damn. I already throw them in the bin unfortunately (the mp)... which fan you recommend buying then? P.S I use the provided dust filter... shouldn't static pressure fan be better for this?

No, the D15 fans are flowing air through cooler inside of case, not flowing air into / out of case.

Using only case intake fans instead of intake and exhaust is like running a cooler with only middle or from fan (depending on cooler) instead of front and back/middle fans. Difference is only a degree or 2 higher with single fan at same speed, but noise level is lower with single fan. If we speed up fan to same noise level as 2x fans made the cooling is basically the same.

Most all of my build have no exhaust fans, just good front intakes and maybe a bottom intake with all PCIe back slot covers removed. Removing PCie slot covers increases rear vent area around GPU dramatically and thus improves airflow back and out of case around GPU. Ths gives us lower CPU and GPU temps becuase the GPU's heated exhaust is more likely moved back and out thru PCie open slots.

ciarlatano 08-22-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synoxia (Post 28098372)

You aren't really understanding how static pressure ratings matter (or don't, as the case may be) in actual application. For example, you are probably assuming that your IPPC 2000 fans have higher static pressure than your Chromax. They do at max speed, but that is only because they spin faster. At the same speed they have the same same pressure because they are the same fan blade and housing. So, when you are looking at these static pressure ratings for max speed, they mean little to nothing in terms of real world usage, unless your real world involves running all of your fans at max speed at all times. The important measurement of a fan's SP and AF performance comes from a PQ Curve (https://www.nidec.com/en-NA/technolo...sary/000/0630/) which shows the relationship between AF and SP throughout a fans usable range.

No, you would not count the fans on the D15 as they are neither intake or exhaust.

doyll 08-22-2019 06:28 AM

What ciarlatano said. :thumb:

PH-F140MP (same impeller as newer Phanteks case fans) are very good case fans with good static pressure and airflow in the speed range (400-1100rpm) most of us run our case fans. There are better fans (be quiet! Silent Wings 3) but they case 2-3 times more for maginal improvement.

Technodox 08-22-2019 09:13 AM

I had thos 140MP's static pressure fans with the wider fins, they sound very bad, the air flow XP's are way better. The difference is a whir like a propeller starting.