Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [Notebook Check]AMD leaves the RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII out in the cold; claims it is listening (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1733354-notebook-check-amd-leaves-rx-vega-56-rx-vega-64-radeon-vii-out-cold-claims-listening.html)

dagget3450 09-16-2019 06:11 PM

[Notebook Check]AMD leaves the RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII out in the cold; claims it is listening

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-le....434869.0.html
Quote:

AMD has already brought its Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) algorithm to its Polaris GPUs, but Vega architecture GPUs may miss the cut. Enough demand for RIS from owners of an RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64 or Radeon VII may sway the company, as may response from Navi and Polaris users. AMD is making no promises for the time being, but it is actively seeking feedback from the gaming community.
I guess AMD wants me to buy Nvidia now. Why would you exclude your flagship gpus from new features, yet add it to your low end ones? What the hell AMD

SoloCamo 09-16-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagget3450 (Post 28129762)
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-le....434869.0.html

I guess AMD wants me to buy Nvidia now. Why would you exclude your flagship gpus from new features, yet add it to your low end ones? What the hell AMD

Pretty much how I feel on this. I went 7970Ghz > 290x > Vega 64 (Fury X wasn't worth it). This would be quite a slap in the face.

tpi2007 09-16-2019 08:18 PM

AMD making nonsense decisions yet again. What feedback are you waiting for AMD? Consumer feedback or telemetry in this day and age where every little thing is apparently ripe for being slurped from consumers' habits should never be a substitute for a cohesive strategy and short, mid and long term support practices of your products that lead to this rather diffuse but ultimately decisively important concept called mindshare.

This shouldn't even be a question you should be asking. Implement it already. Seriously, the thought of the Radeon VII, technically still your flagship card that is not even a year old, not getting RIS being under consideration is utterly baffling.

rluker5 09-16-2019 09:57 PM

I sure would like to use RIS with my Fury Nitro along with Trixx boost on the living room 4k tv, but AMD would probably want to sell me a newer card instead.
Where do you draw the line if RIS works with all GCN? No line?
It's probably a sales based decision.

Kepler couldn't do much more than one type of thing at a time. Maxwell couldn't keep up with Pascal's clocks, Turing has all of these available int operations waiting to be used, not counting its other cores. Vega still has too many tflops and is still too versatile to be obviated on a hardware basis by Navi. Maybe there will be software advantages to the current selling cards.

huzzug 09-16-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpi2007 (Post 28129842)
AMD making nonsense decisions yet again. What feedback are you waiting for AMD? Consumer feedback or telemetry in this day and age where every little thing is apparently ripe for being slurped from consumers' habits should never be a substitute for a cohesive strategy and short, mid and long term support practices of your products that lead to this rather diffuse but ultimately decisively important concept called mindshare.

This shouldn't even be a question you should be asking. Implement it already. Seriously, the thought of the Radeon VII, technically still your flagship card that is not even a year old, not getting RIS being under consideration is utterly baffling.

It's a stratergy to keep the current status quo between the only 2 viable options for discreet graphic cards in consumer space. Why would they want to fight for a few mil more than they make now while also risking all of theire revenue when shaking hands under the table gets them a secured 30% stream from the market pie.

geoxile 09-16-2019 10:01 PM

They probably shouldn't make specialty flagships anymore if they're really just going to drop support like that.

rdr09 09-16-2019 11:33 PM

Current NAVI is next in line when Big NAVI comes out. I agree with the sentiments here.

Defoler 09-16-2019 11:37 PM

VII owners basically got screwed over completely.
Within less than 6 months the card became barely supported, almost ignored by AMD, as if it doesn't even exist and they never released it.
And then people tell me only nvidia are doing shady business and AMD are all about the consumer. Sheesh.
I'm just happy I use the VII for compute and not gaming.

WannaBeOCer 09-17-2019 12:13 AM

311 Attachment(s)
I'd rather they bring back core overclocking for the Radeon VII than implement RIS.

Malinkadink 09-17-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler (Post 28129984)
VII owners basically got screwed over completely.
Within less than 6 months the card became barely supported, almost ignored by AMD, as if it doesn't even exist and they never released it.
And then people tell me only nvidia are doing shady business and AMD are all about the consumer. Sheesh.
I'm just happy I use the VII for compute and not gaming.

Is this at all surprising though? The moment the VII was shown i knew it was a stop gap that would be quickly surpassed by mid range navi. I've been on a 1080 for what feels like forever and am still waiting for AMD to release something to rival the 2080 Ti as i see that card as my only real upgrade but im not paying $1200 for one. The 2080 is also sad as its just a 1080Ti with ray tracing. I definitely did not see it coming that this generation would be the first where the x70 card didn't beat the previous generation Ti in this case the 1080Ti, as i was hopeful to get 2070 for <$500 that would exceed the 1080Ti by 10% or so.