Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   Old Crosair h100i. Unusally high temps (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1734228-old-crosair-h100i-unusally-high-temps.html)

bhsmurfy 10-05-2019 05:08 PM

Old Crosair h100i. Unusally high temps
 
Blockage or has all my water finally evaporated?
Got this baby when 4690k came out so its pretty old.

I feel i used to be aable to hit 4.7G @ 60c.

Now my temps are everywhere and i cant run cbench15 with out crashing. temps go to 90c fast.. then hit 100c.

15c difference in cores at time.
https://imgur.com/a/gPKnmkZ

About to go to ace hardware get some hose clamps and take it apart see how much water i got.

Push pull, ambient temp is like 13c-18c Sometimes 0c if i stick the rad in the window (live in cold as **** wyoming)

BroadPwns 10-05-2019 05:13 PM

Was it running ever since you bought it or had you put it in the attic for a while?

bhsmurfy 10-05-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 28150024)
Was it running ever since you bought it or had you put it in the attic for a while?

Always running. Intel braket is mounted correctectly. Ive done the washer method and without the washer method(a little jiggly backplate)

I've reapplied as5(only thing I can buy out of a store thats not 2hrs away) with the line method(as instructed by the instructions via as5 and my cpu) and pea method after the line didnt work.

skupples 10-05-2019 05:56 PM

something weird happens to the oily coolant inside of them. idk if it congeals or what, as I've never busted one open. However, my brother and I both had the same type of failure on our original H80 and H100 units (not i)

The Pook 10-05-2019 06:01 PM

old = ?

a year? 5? big difference. every AIO is going to fail eventually.

bhsmurfy 10-05-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28150084)
old = ?

a year? 5? big difference. every AIO is going to fail eventually.

Possibly 7 years old.

BroadPwns 10-05-2019 06:17 PM

You've got liquid with chemicals inside, plus mechanical parts. They're bound to expire or fail after some worked period.

bhsmurfy 10-05-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadPwns (Post 28150100)
You've got liquid with chemicals inside, plus mechanical parts. They're bound to expire or fail after some worked period.

Oh yeah I know. I didnt hear any air bubbles(when pumps start pushing air) tho so I was more concerned that I warped my IHS and maybe thats the reason?

Anyways I cut the black hoses removed the rad went and got some tubing and an fish tank pump.
Filled my old fish tank with rain-x and its on the porch keeping nice and cold (0c-10c) and connected it to the block. at least I was able to finish cinebench this time.. got max to 81c which im ok with this ghetto rig until i upgrade in november.(was hitting 104c and shutting off)

The fish tank pump isnt over working the pump in the crosair block and all flow is going same way. Figured I got 4ft of hose so needed a lil extra pump.

I just think i have a warped IHS on my 4690k and just cant get good contact.
Core1 is always around 30c while the other 3 or 16-19c with a 3%load. Core 2-4 also never go above 60c in cinebench so yeah. I unno.

Thanks for the reply.

Liquid inside was tinted yellow. No specks no gelation. I did take the block apart tho and noticed some lime build up maybe inside the cooperblock.

BroadPwns 10-06-2019 04:04 AM

You can delid your i5 too and replace the paste inside.

rluker5 10-06-2019 06:21 AM

If you warped your IHS, the whole cpu would be bent. You really can't warp it at the temps where your pcb wouldn't burn to a crisp. I had an old coolermaster aio (3 or 4 years old) half/mostly die. It started getting high temps like yours, I replaced it and everything was good again. I kept it around and tried using it on my daughter's computer. It worked again for a little bit and then started performing like yours again where it cooled at a fraction of it's previous potential. Also you seem like the type that would find delidding your 4690k worth it.

skupples 10-06-2019 07:17 AM

7 years is pretty damn good, we got 4-5 out of our h80/100s.

failure for us were temps drastically higher than originals. my i5 was delidded with CLP(cuz time is a thing) so my IHS temps never changed.,

bhsmurfy 10-10-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28150466)
7 years is pretty damn good, we got 4-5 out of our h80/100s.

failure for us were temps drastically higher than originals. my i5 was delidded with CLP(cuz time is a thing) so my IHS temps never changed.,

Oh yeah its frankinstiend now. Thats for sure.

I cut the hoses from the rad added a submerged pump and i have aa reso outside my window. (day temps of 20c night temps of -10c) Its -3c outside right now

I've gutted the pump and have flown water thru it without the rubber gromet that spreads water and with. Cant get below 95c r15 @ 4.4Ghz :( This thing used to daily rock out 65c @ 4.8Ghz

I thru a Air cooler on it also and nothing. So Im gonna post on FB today if anyone has a table vice I can come use and delid and I will re-apply TIM.

Will see if it helps. Also notice one of the pins on the mobo is janky. probably my cause of WHEA UNCONTROLLABLE ERROR and HARDWARE CHECKS BSOD

To be fair. I think the h100i was never the problem. The coolant was yellow like it should off been no micro-bacteria or anythinig. Never got weird noises from it or anything.

The Pook 10-10-2019 12:54 PM

a bent pin is likely not the cause of your BSOD. a large majority of pins are reserved and do nothing or are just redundant grounds.

bhsmurfy 10-10-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28154968)
a bent pin is likely not the cause of your BSOD. a large majority of pins are reserved and do nothing or are just redundant grounds.

Well thats good to know.

bhsmurfy 10-11-2019 03:36 PM

Ok, update time. I found the culprit. I knew a 30c difference between cores should of been a red flag.
https://i.imgur.com/vqJ8DmR.jpg

So here is what im thinking. One night while on my OC config 4.7g-4.8g my pump got clogged and let the CPU bake at about 104c all night(i know i normally turn thermal protection on when afk) and it dried out the superb Intel TIM job.

Took her to the local library pop'd her open with a table vice applied some new as5(all i have without waiting a week on shipping) and now my cores are within 1c at each other with a 37c Idle @ 4.6g 1.32v while my water temp is 13c.

At night water temp is normally -5c to 0c.

Man im so ******* stoked this thing will last until November now.

Was seriously giving me bad luck for the past week.

chas1723 10-12-2019 05:12 AM

Your water temp will not be below ambient. Something is not reading right if that is the numbers you are being shown. Also AS5 is junk for delis. Your temps will go up substantially in a few weeks due to paste pump out effect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hydroplane 10-12-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas1723 (Post 28156892)
Your water temp will not be below ambient. Something is not reading right if that is the numbers you are being shown. Also AS5 is junk for delis. Your temps will go up substantially in a few weeks due to paste pump out effect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think he has the radiator outdoors. OP, just watch the dew point, don't want your motherboard to start getting sweaty lol

chas1723 10-12-2019 11:04 AM

Did he add tube length? My h100i did not have enough tube to get it out of my case much less outside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bhsmurfy 10-12-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroplane (Post 28156916)
I think he has the radiator outdoors. OP, just watch the dew point, don't want your motherboard to start getting sweaty lol

correct.
I keep an eye on RH/DP

bhsmurfy 10-12-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas1723 (Post 28157152)
Did he add tube length? My h100i did not have enough tube to get it out of my case much less outside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes. I have cut the rad out and removed the rubber gourmet from inside the block that focuses water into fins(the submersed pump i use is too strong for the gromet to be in there and im not finding any negative from it *yet*

I have a res outside my window where i have a couple gallons of water/antifreeze/organic hydrogen peroxide flowing. The rez sits in like a pile of snow outside my window. My only problem now is I cant get pass 4.9stable. Ive gotten a couple post at 5Ghz but get hardware checks/clock watch dogs/kernel exceptions etc BSOD when logging into windows. :( Think its this VRM on the ASRock z97 f4tality killer was a cheap mobo at the time and surprised it has lasted this long with all the abuse and shorts and forgetting to ground my self and bending capacitors i have done to it.

I have a liquid metal in the mail.

Im waiting for a waterblock for my 2080 ti also. and a actual ek block for my cpu instead of the gutted h100i.
672 r15. Not bad for a i5 4690k considering stock score is 430-450 i think.

Hydroplane 10-12-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsmurfy (Post 28157302)
Yes. I have cut the rad out and removed the rubber gourmet from inside the block that focuses water into fins(the submersed pump i use is too strong for the gromet to be in there and im not finding any negative from it *yet*

I have a res outside my window where i have a couple gallons of water/antifreeze/organic hydrogen peroxide flowing. The rez sits in like a pile of snow outside my window. My only problem now is I cant get pass 4.9stable. Ive gotten a couple post at 5Ghz but get hardware checks/clock watch dogs/kernel exceptions etc BSOD when logging into windows. :( Think its this VRM on the ASRock z97 f4tality killer was a cheap mobo at the time and surprised it has lasted this long with all the abuse and shorts and forgetting to ground my self and bending capacitors i have done to it.

I have a liquid metal in the mail.

Im waiting for a waterblock for my 2080 ti also. and a actual ek block for my cpu instead of the gutted h100i.
672 r15. Not bad for a i5 4690k considering stock score is 430-450 i think.

I'm interested in the hydrogen peroxide, what purpose does it serve? Anti-microbial? Doesn't it evaporate very readily, or does mixing it with water reduce that?

So far, I've tried propylene glycol, methanol, and isopropyl alcohol in my loop. Running isopropyl/water right now. Keeps it clean lol.

bhsmurfy 10-12-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroplane (Post 28157442)
I'm interested in the hydrogen peroxide, what purpose does it serve? Anti-microbial? Doesn't it evaporate very readily, or does mixing it with water reduce that?

So far, I've tried propylene glycol, methanol, and isopropyl alcohol in my loop. Running isopropyl/water right now. Keeps it clean lol.

yes anything with an extra hyrdo to it will ad very rapidly. My res is a old pony keg thats light proof so only my lines are the only place light hits. I work at a brewery so we have 55gal drums of organic-peroxide outside. We use it after we brew sours so im assuming it kills bacteria. Again. This is some me just guessing ****. Id assume anything iso evaps faster than hydro or meth tho. Methanol is just expensive here and i dont trust the plastics of my gutted h100i block, lol.

I've had nothing green building up tho.

https://i.imgur.com/xNmSmU1.jpg

it works...

delidding and reapply TIM brought my core1 from 94+ and others at 55c @ 4.3g 1.3vcore to all of them at 63c full load at 4.7g at 1.375vcore.


I didnt win the silicon lottery so my chip eats watts.

Edit. I know the waterblock is upside down. vertical cores in the i5 tho so same pattern as long as its not horizontal.

NewType88 10-12-2019 11:37 PM

Why does your local library have a table vice ?

bhsmurfy 10-13-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType88 (Post 28157606)
Why does your local library have a table vice ?

They have a tool section. Just about everything to build a house and or a car.
Library in remote mountain towns are normally top notch and have tools and recreational things to take out too. Not just books. :)

NewType88 10-13-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsmurfy (Post 28157626)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType88 (Post 28157606)
Why does your local library have a table vice ?

They have a tool section. Just about everything to build a house and or a car.
Library in remote mountain towns are normally top notch and have tools and recreational things to take out too. Not just books. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Oh that’s pretty cool. I don’t see how you deal with that snow though. I couldn’t do it 😜

bhsmurfy 10-13-2019 04:42 PM

Yeah its sweet i like it. I do tons of skiing and snowmobiling

skupples 10-13-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroplane (Post 28157442)
I'm interested in the hydrogen peroxide, what purpose does it serve? Anti-microbial? Doesn't it evaporate very readily, or does mixing it with water reduce that?

So far, I've tried propylene glycol, methanol, and isopropyl alcohol in my loop. Running isopropyl/water right now. Keeps it clean lol.

what about ph and corrosion control though? You're only accounting for one of the two main coolant variables. distilled's ph does nothing but go up, every second it spins in your loop.

Ragsters 10-13-2019 06:10 PM

Sorry to thread jack but does a AIO cooler need to be used ever so often? I currently have one sitting in its box for like a year now.

bhsmurfy 10-13-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28158384)
what about ph and corrosion control though? You're only accounting for one of the two main coolant variables. distilled's ph does nothing but go up, every second it spins in your loop.

I grew up on a farm. If I can handle watering 120 acres of blue fraser fir im sure I can handle watering my computer.

Empty it out, clean er with bio-green or some type of organic sink cleaner and refill and repeat.

Too cold of temp is my biggest enemy. Some nights I'll have to turn on my res warmer.

Hydroplane 10-14-2019 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsmurfy (Post 28158482)
I grew up on a farm. If I can handle watering 120 acres of blue fraser fir im sure I can handle watering my computer.

Empty it out, clean er with bio-green or some type of organic sink cleaner and refill and repeat.

Too cold of temp is my biggest enemy. Some nights I'll have to turn on my res warmer.

Want to see pics of said res warmer... sounds cool lol

bhsmurfy 10-14-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroplane (Post 28158774)
Want to see pics of said res warmer... sounds cool lol

Sorry, I know its a lot cooler sounding then what it looks.

Its just some underground wires that stay warm enough to keep everything around it to not freeze.

https://www.campingworld.com/dw/imag...sh=1000&sm=fit
Instead of a probe tho mine goes from probe and a flat 360* and sits in the bottom.

Think RV section of ace hardware/home depot. Its what they drop in their water tanks to keep em from freezing in xtreme weather.

Its like an electric charcoal starter but 1/100th the power


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.