Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [PCGAMER] EA hints at return to Steam (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1735310-pcgamer-ea-hints-return-steam.html)

keikei 10-26-2019 06:07 PM

[PCGAMER] EA hints at return to Steam

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

It may not seem like much to go on, but EA tweeting out a picture of a steaming hot beverage in an EA mug sure seems like a hint their games will be returning to Steam. Said games have been available exclusively through Origin on PC since the launch of Battlefield 3 back in 2011, and Crysis 2 was even pulled from Steam (though it came back a year later).
https://twitter.com/i/status/1187828019106238464
source

The Pook 10-26-2019 06:18 PM

:confused:

keikei 10-26-2019 06:21 PM

I'm reading EA needs moar sales. What better way to lower the bar? Who knows, this is EA.

Prophet4NO1 10-26-2019 06:34 PM

Well, I have not purchased any games for several years, partly because Origin sucks. Also, because EA is eviler than ever. lol But before they went full stupid, I would have purchased some games. But, I could not be bothered to reinstall Origin.

tpi2007 10-26-2019 07:35 PM

Lol, will I finally be playing Crysis 3 as an exception of a game I'd still be willing to buy from Steam (otherwise it's GOG all the way)? Or will this be one of those cynical comebacks where the game is on Steam but it requires you to have an account and login into Origin all the same, just like Bethesda (started doing it with Rage 2 at least), Ubisoft (has been doing it for years), Rockstar (same), etc games that are on Steam do with their respective services?

keikei 10-26-2019 07:45 PM

BFV has been free to play for a few weekends in a row due to low sales. I've never seen that series go f2p after a single year of release. I smell desperation. The new Pacific content also drops next week. Removing origin as another barrier to NOT play EA makes sense. They're looking for a win at the end of the year and this may do it. I will gladly remove origin and reinstall BFV on steam. :)

ToTheSun! 10-26-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 (Post 28172428)
partly because Origin sucks

How come? I know it's no Steam, but I find it pretty good.

wingman99 10-26-2019 08:33 PM

The problems I have had with EA Origin have been many. However, they do solve the problems eventually.:mellowsmi

ozlay 10-26-2019 08:53 PM

I use steam and only steam. So if they want me to buy their games they have to put them on steam. Games shouldn't be exclusive to one launcher. :)

tpi2007 10-26-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keikei (Post 28172454)
BFV has been free to play for a few weekends in a row due to low sales. I've never seen that series go f2p after a single year of release. I smell desperation. The new Pacific content also drops next week. Removing origin as another barrier to NOT play EA makes sense. They're looking for a win at the end of the year and this may do it. I will gladly remove origin and reinstall BFV on steam. :)

They may be desperate, but they'll just use Steam to further promote Origin in the hopes of getting some clientèle back - from the article it doesn't seem like they are willing to do any different from Ubisoft, etc, in that they'll still require an Origin account and the Origin client installed, so that won't do for me, and you will basically stay the same.