Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [i-programmer] There Really Are No More IPv4 Addresses (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1735604-i-programmer-there-really-no-more-ipv4-addresses.html)

Alex132 11-01-2019 06:07 AM

[i-programmer] There Really Are No More IPv4 Addresses

Quote:

RIPE, which manages IP address distribution for a large part of the world, has updated its address space chart showing how many addresses are left. It is clear that unless something unexpected happens RIPE will run out of addresses in November.

The IPv4 crisis has been going on so long now that it is tempting to say "crisis, what crisis!" There are about 4 billion IP addresses and now we are down to just 1 million. That sounds a lot, but users tend to want blocks of many addresses and 1 million for the foreseeable future isn't enough. There is already, from October 2nd, a limit to only /22 blocks (1024 addresses) being allocated and this will fall to /24 blocks (256 addresses) once the well dries up. At this point applicants will form an orderly queue and wait for IP address allocations to be returned to RIPE. Only applicants who have never received an IP allocation will be added to the queue.
What effect will this have?
In most cases end users don't apply for IP addresses directly - they get them from their ISP or from their cloud or server provider. So for most users it isn't a matter of when RIPE runs out, more what happens when their ISP or server provider runs out. A recent survey by RIPE suggests that about a third ranked IPv4 run-out as a top three challenge and more than half said that they needed more IPv4 addresses in the next 2 to 3 years.
https://i-programmer.info/news/81-we...addresses.html

Where were you when the IP addresses ran out?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/emojis/27...0094723072.png

DNMock 11-01-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex132 (Post 28178594)

Hasn't this been known about for a long time and the solution already implemented for several years in the form of IPv6?

Diablosbud 11-01-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28178630)
Hasn't this been known about for a long time and the solution already implemented for several years in the form of IPv6?

Yeah. There's always going to be the fear of legacy systems causing problems, though. Also the big companies have to decide when is an acceptable time to transition to IPv6. I suspect it will be a smoother move than some are saying, but not without hiccups.

huzzug 11-01-2019 07:32 AM

Wasn't NAT an alternative to this scenario to be implemented by the ISP or whoever regulates telecom in a country?

mouacyk 11-01-2019 11:14 AM

So is the IPv6 internet live?

emeianoite 11-01-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28178630)

100% anyone in the IT/Networking side of things doesnt give 2 ****s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablosbud (Post 28178646)
Yeah. There's always going to be the fear of legacy systems causing problems, though. Also the big companies have to decide when is an acceptable time to transition to IPv6. I suspect it will be a smoother move than some are saying, but not without hiccups.

LOL who said this?

Diablosbud 11-01-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeianoite (Post 28178940)
LOL who said this?

If you mean about having to wait for big companies, good luck forcing Google to switch before they feel like it.

If you mean the rest, it's my opinion as someone with a small amount of networking knowledge. I didn't say I was right or an IT genius.

Omega X 11-01-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huzzug (Post 28178662)
Wasn't NAT an alternative to this scenario to be implemented by the ISP or whoever regulates telecom in a country?

NAT is already heavily used. But it was not deemed as a long term solution due to the massive amount of new internet connected devices being made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablosbud (Post 28178988)
If you mean about having to wait for big companies, good luck forcing Google to switch before they feel like it.

If you mean the rest, it's my opinion as someone with a small amount of networking knowledge. I didn't say I was right or an IT genius.

Huh? Google properties are already on IPv6, that includes the search engine(2607:f8b0:4002:c09::64) and YouTube(2607:f8b0:4002:810::200e). They also track IPv6 connections. Android also understands IPv6 and is in frequent controversy because their networking developer doesn't want to implement DHCPv6 in the OS. Not to mention that Mobile Telecos in the US are already using Dual Stack IPv6. Residential ISPs like Comcast, Cox and a number of others also deployed Dual Stack IPv6.

Diablosbud 11-01-2019 05:27 PM

Clearly I'm an uneducated idiot. So just forget I said anything at all LMAO.

skupples 11-01-2019 06:09 PM

my local ISP lines have been IPV6 for many years now.

and for already existing companies, is it really an issue? Most of the IP stuff they do is internally facing. they'll cling to 4 for as long as they can. basically until switches, routers, firewalls, etc etc keep coming with ipv4 tabs.