Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [CNBC] Ubisoft shares slump after warning over games delay (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1735794-cnbc-ubisoft-shares-slump-after-warning-over-games-delay.html)

UltraMega 11-05-2019 02:43 AM

[CNBC] Ubisoft shares slump after warning over games delay

Quote:

Shares of French videogames publisher Ubisoft slumped more than 25 percent to an eight-month low on Wednesday after delaying the release of two titles until next year, missing the holiday season in the hotly competitive industry.
Quote:

“In a world of mega-blockbusters, we have now come to the conclusion that the team needed additional time,” Yves Guillemot, chief executive of the company behind the Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry series, told investors on a conference call.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/ubis...t-warning.html

It takes guts as a major company to announce losses in the name of future product integrity. I'd like to see this as Ubi learning from their mistakes of rushing games and adding in too many game mechanics (breakpoint). What do you think?

I'd really just like to see Ubi update their physics engine so the driving controls in their games were not absolute garbage. That said, wildlands is one of the best coop games I've ever played, if not the best. I hate to see Ubi fail to capitalize on these franchises in a way gamers would actually enjoy.

Blze001 11-05-2019 04:13 AM

I'm all for companies letting dev teams have more time, I've endured enough disasters that were primarily because they needed to meet a deadline.

As far as the games mentioned, Far Cry has always been a "have gun fights and shoot a bunch with some story loosely tying these murder sprees together" title, so I'm curious what they're gonna be doing with it to make it competitive with "mega blockbusters".

And I really hope they continue the direction they took with Odyssey with Assassin's Creed. I'm actually interested in the next one (I'm STILL playing Odyssey) now that it's not just parkour simulator with a confusing present-day story that is kinda, sorta, not really well communicated or planned. Only AC I've actually finished aside from Odyssey was AC4 because pirate ships.

bl4ckdot 11-05-2019 04:33 AM

Loved Odyssey, playing R6 since its release, kinda like Anno 1800 (its overwhelming). Delaying releases is good

Gunderman456 11-05-2019 04:34 AM

Hope they implode.

Hope the employees go off and form their own indie companies like we used to have with Westwood, Origin, Bullfrog, etc...

This way they can create unique games that don't all look and play alike.

skupples 11-05-2019 05:16 AM

that's because good business, and good business for your fans are two different things.

this expands the total cost of the project by 10s of millions, i'm sure.

best bet is to be glad when gaming companies stocks drop. The anti-consumer, MONEY MONEY MONEY board members are likely losing some yacht gas money too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28183998)
Hope they implode.

Hope the employees go off and form their own indie companies like we used to have with Westwood, Origin, Bullfrog, etc...

yes please.
let's go on a big short campaign, run em all into the ground!

Blze001 11-05-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Hope they implode.

I get where you're coming from, but it's kinda bonkers expensive to make modern games, especially large RPGs. It was a much more obtainable goal back in the '90s and early '00s. Now the engine license alone costs as much as entire games did back then.

keikei 11-05-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Hope they implode.

Ubi making too many shooters, eventually they seem to melt into the same game unfortunately. They need new blood.

bmgjet 11-05-2019 04:05 PM

Looks like they are learning finally.

Old ubisoft = Push unfinished game out and lose 80% of customer base.
VS
New ubisoft = delay game until its finished lose 25% shares but most likely pick up more customer base if the final game is quality.

lombardsoup 11-05-2019 04:07 PM

Good.

In a perfect world, the major AAA poop peddlers wouldn't exist.

b.walker36 11-05-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lombardsoup (Post 28185002)
Good.

In a perfect world, the major AAA poop peddlers wouldn't exist.

It seems like maybe Anthem is the straw the broke the back with shoddy releases, hopefully the trend continues. Not necessarily delays but releases that are not broken hah.