Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/)
-   -   [TFT Central] NVIDIA Open Up Support for Adaptive-sync/FreeSync for Future Native G-sync Module Screens (https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-rumors-unconfirmed-articles/1736918-tft-central-nvidia-open-up-support-adaptive-sync-freesync-future-native-g-sync-module-screens.html)

ElectroManiac 11-23-2019 09:17 AM

[TFT Central] NVIDIA Open Up Support for Adaptive-sync/FreeSync for Future Native G-sync Module Screens

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/nv...odule-screens/

Not sure if to post this in rumors or news, but Nvidia opening the G-Sync module would be great for when choosing a monitor in the future.

LancerVI 11-23-2019 11:25 AM

I've wanted to buy a new VRR monitor ten times over, but have resisted. I would NEVER buy a G-Sync monitor, regardless of GPU I use UNLESS they do exactly this.

skupples 11-23-2019 06:17 PM

^^ and being eternally screwed for anything above 4K60.

pretty sure i'm just gonna get a top of the line pimax headset in a couple weeks + everything else needed from valve. That's how i'll get my OLED fix. in the form of 2x 1440p screens in a VR headset :D :D :D

JackCY 11-23-2019 06:50 PM

It's all the bloody same and they all know it. It's just software locks on Nvidia's side in software/firmware/driver.

Quote:

This new firmware is being used now for future Native G-sync screens, and the Acer Predator XB273 X is the first we’ve seen advertised with these new features. We confirmed with NVIDIA that it will NOT be possible to update firmware to any existing Native G-sync screen, or request updates to allow your current G-sync screen to be updated so that it would work with AMD graphics cards. The new firmware will only be applied to future G-sync module displays.
Yeah they are not too keen on updating anything on those modules, ever. What you buy is what you get, no updates at a later time by anyone, certainly not by customer.

If they want to keep selling those modules, they have no other choice but to support HDMI Async and allow any source to work in Async mode. The sales amount difference between Gsync moduled monitors and Async capability provided by the many other probably finally dawned on them.
No one sane will purposefully choose a Gsync moduled monitor at a higher price if an alternative exists and it's often significantly cheaper or even offers better specs and runs cooler.

dir_d 11-23-2019 07:06 PM

So now the war is over and now VRR is "Nvidia's G-Sync" and it can be used by both vendors (AMD,Nvidia) and over DP and HDMI.

Perfect_Chaos 11-23-2019 07:14 PM

So i guess someone would have to hack their own Gsync screen to update their firmware. If possible.

Nvidia cards at the upper end have been ahead of AMD for a while though so it's not much of an issue for me anyway.

UltraMega 11-23-2019 07:26 PM

I just turned on fast sync and used it for everything now. Works great.

ToTheSun! 11-24-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28208682)
I just turned on fast sync and used it for everything now. Works great.

It's a pretty good solution if your monitor doesn't support VRR. Othewise, G-sync is always better.

Imouto 11-24-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28209046)
It's a pretty good solution if your monitor doesn't support VRR. Othewise, G-sync is always better.

It is used together with the VRR solution of your choice for those times when the FPS is above the max refresh of your monitor.

The AMD alternative is Enhanced Sync.

ToTheSun! 11-24-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imouto (Post 28209060)
It is used together with the VRR solution of your choice for those times when the FPS is above the max refresh of your monitor.

In that case, it's never a good solution for high refresh rate displays. I've tested Fastsync in all possible scenarios, and FPS capped V-sync VRR is much better.

100+ FPS 60 Hz non-VRR Fastsync was pretty good IME.