Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [WCCFTECH] Intel CEO Wants To Destroy The Thinking About Having 90% Share In CPU Market, Talks 10nm Problems, 7nm Roadmap And More (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1738282-wccftech-intel-ceo-wants-destroy-thinking-about-having-90-share-cpu-market-talks-10nm-problems-7nm-roadmap-more.html)

Lexi is Dumb 12-11-2019 11:25 PM

maybe im missing something but it sounds to me more like "the amount we'd need to invest to maintain an extra 40% marketshare over whats actually necessary in the face of competition.. could be better invested and have a better ROI elsewhere." They just halved their HEDT lineup prices, if they have to continue to do that sort of thing to maintain a high marketshare, they're still making much less than they ever did before, and after a certain point its probably not worthwhile. They want a 90% marketshare at their usual profits, not a 90% marketshare at AMDs measly profits and I guarantee they'd take a 30-40% marketshare at their high profits over it, no more production constraints and all the other pros that comes with like the ability to focus instead of trying to supply everyone everything. I doubt its ever been their primary goal to compete with TSMC as a fab, and having to maintain being the 2nd largest chipmaker because of not just all their other industries but because they're supplying 90% of the worlds desktop/laptop and server CPUs has probably been insanely difficult.. I'd say they probably wanna focus more of their manufacturing strength on stuff like 5G right now. Hot take but the lack of response to AMDs competition on the desktop might be because it's actually given them some relief.

Don't mistake their investment into GPUs as one to compete with AMD and Nvidia for the general consumer markets. They want to be a unified solution for enterprise. CPU, GPU, Storage.. the whole lot and they are 1000% better off investing in that than going out of their way to take the entirety of a relatively smaller battleground.

UltraMega 12-12-2019 12:06 AM

It makes sense. For most consumers, desktop CPU advancements haven't really mattered in about a decade. Once CPUs are good enough, making them better doesn't really matter outside of gaming for consumer level tasks generally speaking.

drewafx 12-12-2019 12:14 AM

Nothing wrong with focusing all energy on CPU and being the best
Problem is Intel got too complacent and no longer in that position anymore, so they have to diversify...
Jack of all trades and master of none? I surely hope it doesn't go that way
WiDi and optical Thunderbolt seemed like good features but eventually didn't get to mass adoption

I'd say just keep working on making computer fast and responsive with no compromise
At the end of the day I chose Intel CPU bought Intel chipset motherboard because it was the fastest available at the time
Latency is crucial for anything that needs input/output synchronization without stutters music/gaming professionals/enthusiasts
Raw performance for heavy workloads, power efficiency for battery devices/data centers
If they can get the hardware cutting edge for all price points, whether it's windows, mac, or linux they will have customers
Let start ups take care of feature products naturally born out of necessity or let Apple make it cool first

I think dedicated expansion devices > bundled into CPU & chipset, at least for normal desktop computers
Mac Pro? ridiculously expensive but hell yeah
NUC? ok but meh, tons of problems. USB stick PC? bleh nice nerdy experiment.

Awsan 12-12-2019 04:00 AM

Its an interesting read, but Nokia was once an unstoppable juggernaut that was brought down by a trojan "Conspiracy theories".

But still its hard for Intel to fall anytime soon, They will struggle for a couple of years {5 Years max???} and I surely hope AMD will take advantage in this time and supercharge the CPU game.

Hwgeek 12-12-2019 04:04 AM

https://twitter.com/CDemerjian/statu...77861070860288
Quote:

What I found floored me. I am now seriously worried about Intel's survival, something I don't say lightly. It is that bad. Story tomorrow morning, take this one seriously.

KyadCK 12-12-2019 06:05 AM

Good mentality to take if I am being honest.

They did lose out on a lot of things such as mobile CPUs and GPUs by simply targeting them too late. As they mentioned, due to mistakes, over confidence, and frankly a Series of Unfortunate Events from their prospective, they dropped the ball, hard, for the next several years.

It is not possible for them to catch EPYC anymore as they are now. By the time 7nm is ready for servers, AMD will be on 5nm, and they will be on equal footing like when EPYC 1 launched. AMD will be making, probably, 96-core CPUs by then and already be on PCI-e 5.0 and DDR5, which will prevent them from needing to over-complicate motherboards further. If Intel tries to make monolithic CPUs that can compete with that, we will be in the exact same situation we are in now.

Intel needs chiplet tech of their own. If they are going to design chiplets too, be it 2D, 2.5D or 3D stacking, and they make Optane, GPUs, FPGAs, modems, etc, then it makes perfect sense for Intel to begin doing what AMD is doing; semi-custom design, and more general flexibility.

More importantly, Intel needs to actually fight ARM, and nVidia/AMD's GPU divisions, and they know it.

If the CEO is being honest, then this new mentality is required to make everyone focus on all of their rivals, and is required for them to wake up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28234226)
It makes sense. For most consumers, desktop CPU advancements haven't really mattered in about a decade. Once CPUs are good enough, making them better doesn't really matter outside of gaming for consumer level tasks generally speaking.

The thing about building a more efficient design, is that if you do not need more performance, you can instead clock it down, make it smaller, use less power, easier to cool, and live longer.

Even burst speed, when tuned correctly, can be more efficient for lower powered systems over all.

Kurumi Tokisaki 12-12-2019 06:24 AM

I want to thank everyone who posted something thoughtful. It's discussions like these that make me want to participate here.

warr10r 12-12-2019 06:54 AM

At least they aren't outright denying that there's a problem a la Blackberry and Nokia.

AMD basically hit them incredibly hard where it hurts, which for Intel is their CPU marketshare, lol. The CEO here is showing his "No, no, we're fine. See?!" face and trying to walk it off but showing visible discomfort...

I don't doubt that Intel will bounce back like a freaking tiger in a few years but damn they are hurting in the short term.

Awsan 12-12-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warr10r (Post 28234504)
At least they aren't outright denying that there's a problem a la Blackberry and Nokia.

AMD basically hit them incredibly hard where it hurts, which for Intel is their CPU marketshare, lol. The CEO here is showing his "No, no, we're fine. See?!" face and trying to walk it off but showing visible discomfort...

I don't doubt that Intel will bounce back like a freaking tiger in a few years but damn they are hurting in the short term.

No lesson is free, The funny part is, Nvidia doing the same thing? (Although I thought they learned their lesson in When AMD released the 7xxx series and the r9 2xx series)

Kurumi Tokisaki 12-12-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warr10r (Post 28234504)

I agree with you. They are still incredibly diverse and profitable overall regardless of their struggles in the CPU market.

They just need to get their poop in a group in the CPU arena. They just hired Gary Patton away from Global Foundries. Maybe he can help them get their fab woes in order.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15226...es-gary-patton

Now they need to hire someone who can help prevent a new exploit every time they add a feature.

:)