Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [The Verge] Microsoft’s next Xbox is Xbox Series X, coming holiday 2020 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1738354-verge-microsofta-s-next-xbox-xbox-series-x-coming-holiday-2020-a.html)

rluker5 01-24-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMack70 (Post 28300220)
Seems reasonable.

It's exceedingly disappointing that M$ wants to keep supporting the garbage heap of hardware that is the original Xbox One S. Depending on how that works out, we might actually see 120 FPS in some games on the early Series X titles just because the devs cannot increase fidelity enough even to stress current midrange hardware, because they are mandated by their M$ overlords to get their game running at 720p 30fps on low end hardware from 7 years ago. We might not see the higher fidelity next gen games show up until after that mandate wears off... we'll see how it goes.

Would be nice if they turn down the 1S settings to "laughably bad" for games and just keep the 4k bluray and video streaming apps support good.
No shadows or reflections, one light source and scary pop in is what I'm thinking about. Like some npc pops in real close, lobs a grenade, then poof gone!
Gotta sell those new consoles.

Edit: HDD load times after an npc sneak attack would be the icing on the cake :D

skupples 01-24-2020 07:57 AM

mixed generation support is what they're calling it, right? its gonna be horrible. I hope these sell stupidly well, allowing them to re-adjust their legacy support.

also, I wanna see the big boy specs now. I suppose that won't release for 1-2 years though, right? It'll release when they nix support for last gen?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI (Post 28300036)
Thank you.
I'm sorry for dragging it on too.

I suppose if we're counting the 2080Ti as being basically the same thing as the 1080Ti then yes you're right, it's really sad that Nvidia both chose to release such a disappointing card as the 2080Ti and that the level of competition allowed it.

:cheers:

BigMack70 01-24-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28300268)
mixed generation support is what they're calling it, right? its gonna be horrible. I hope these sell stupidly well, allowing them to re-adjust their legacy support.

I also hope they re-think it. Cross gen titles are *always* a bad experience. They usually run and look like trash on the old hardware, because devs are doing everything they can to make use of the new while attaining to bare minimum shippable performance on the old. I fully expect 720p30 below low settings to become standard on base Xbone hardware.

And while they run and look like trash on the old hardware, they typically look more like really nice last-gen games on new hardware rather than next-gen.

As I see it, cross-gen is lose lose for everyone, with the possible exception of multiplayer games that might need the larger install base to maintain a healthy population. But even then, I don't think it's needed... For example, if halo infinite turns out to be a fantastic halo multiplayer game (which I highly doubt), people would pay the money to upgrade if they had to; it wouldn't need legacy consoles to maintain population.

skupples 01-24-2020 08:36 AM

the better the new console, the quicker people migrate, the quicker they can kill it off? idk. i've never looked into MS's thoughts on the matter.