Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [TH]Inside Intel's Secret Overclocking Lab: The Tools and Team Pushing CPUs to New Limits (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1739586-th-inside-intels-secret-overclocking-lab-tools-team-pushing-cpus-new-limits.html)

Computurd 01-01-2020 01:46 PM

[TH]Inside Intel's Secret Overclocking Lab: The Tools and Team Pushing CPUs to New Limits

This article has a lot of nuggets in it, including some guidelines for overclocking from Intel's engineers on page 7.

"Intel's overclocking lab has silently steered the company's overclocking efforts for years and, understandably, the company has been hesitant to open it up to the media. To our knowledge, we are the first tech news outlet to visit and report on the facility. As we can see below, the lab is packed with next-gen gear that the company isn't ready to divulge, some of it hidden under Intel-blue lab coats for our visit."

https://www.tomshardware.com/feature...erclocking-lab

DooRules 01-01-2020 02:17 PM

great read comp

The-Real-Link 01-02-2020 12:10 PM

What a fascinating read, thanks!

lightsout 01-02-2020 02:36 PM

This is pretty sweet, thanks! :nerdgasm:

Thermal_Preist 01-02-2020 06:23 PM

Atleast we now know who the worlds best intel overclocker is, Navya Pramod!

"That doesn't preclude internal competitions, though, and there is a running competition among Intel employees for overclocking records. The competition extends to enthusiasts in other Intel labs, too. (For the record, Navya Pramod is currently 'spanking everyone')."

Paradigm Shifter 01-02-2020 06:31 PM

Very interesting read, thanks!

I found this bit interesting;

Quote:

But Ragland has some advice: "As an overclocker, if you manage these two [voltage and temperature], but especially think about 'time in state' or 'time at high voltage,' you can make your part last quite a while if you just think about that. It's the person that sets their system up at elevated voltages and just leaves it there 24/7 [static overclock], that's the person that is going to burn that system out faster than someone who uses the normal turbo algorithms to do their overclocking so that when the system is idle your frequency drops and your voltage drops with it. So, There's a reason we don't warranty it, but there's also a way that overclockers can manage it and be a little safer."
Admittedly since my time is now more precious than potential issues stemming from an overclock, I haven't overclocked any of the latest Intel CPUs (last time I bothered was with the 5820K, and that was only a little bit) but to my knowledge, my overclocked-from-day-one i7 920 and overclocked-from-day-three 5820K are still running... and the 920 has been my, then other family's, daily driver since I bought it in 2009.

Perhaps more recent silicon is much more sensitive?

skupples 01-02-2020 06:41 PM

doesn't it seem a bit strange that the only female shown is the one spanking all of intel's internal OC competitions?

Don't misread this for - "reeeee woman can't OC! sammich n beer while i watch fishing!"

read it for "Intel appears to be playing a card"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter (Post 28263598)
Very interesting read, thanks!

I found this bit interesting;

Admittedly since my time is now more precious than potential issues stemming from an overclock, I haven't overclocked any of the latest Intel CPUs (last time I bothered was with the 5820K, and that was only a little bit) but to my knowledge, my overclocked-from-day-one i7 920 and overclocked-from-day-three 5820K are still running... and the 920 has been my, then other family's, daily driver since I bought it in 2009.

Perhaps more recent silicon is much more sensitive?

Intel - I'd use your built in boost features if it didn't get confused & only run at minimal boosts in certain 3D applications, but hey can't knock ya for trying to sell more OC warranties that'll never get cashed in.

Liranan 01-02-2020 09:10 PM

So, this is where the 9900KFC comes from.

Thermal_Preist 01-02-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28263618)
doesn't it seem a bit strange that the only female shown is the one spanking all of intel's internal OC competitions?

I Don't understand your point here....Why would it be Strange?

Female Engineers are massively outnumbered, most i've worked with not only had to be as good as the dudes, but better to even get the same job.
I don't find it surprising at all that a massively talented engineer ended up kicking arse in a carefully selected team, nor do i find it surprising that that engineer is a Lady. But I am pleased to see more Ladies in tech, especially at the top... look at Lisa Soo.

Girls need good role models that aren't vacuous insta fakes, especially good to see tech roll models and i'm pretty pumped my nieces now have Both Lisa Soo and now Navya Pramod... #NerdyChicksAreCool.

Hopefully they do a follow up interview with her.

SuprPwrUsr 01-03-2020 02:05 AM

10 Attachment(s)
TLDR

This is the most interesting bit for me.

Quote:

Speaking as enthusiasts, the engineers told us they feel perfectly fine running thier Coffee Lake chips at home at 1.4V with conventional cooling, which is higher than the 1.35V we typically recommend as the 'safe' ceiling in our reviews. For Skylake-X, the team says they run their personal machines anywhere from 1.4V to 1.425V if they can keep it cool enough, with the latter portion of the statement being strongly emphasized.

At home, the lab engineers consider a load temperature above 80C to be a red alert, meaning that's the no-fly zone, but temps that remain steady in the mid-70’s are considered safe. The team also strongly recommends using adaptive voltage targets for overclocking and leaving C-States enabled. Not to mention using AVX offsets to keep temperatures in check during AVX-heavy workloads.