Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Computer Cases (https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/)
-   -   Lian Li O11 XL vs Phantek Luxe2 (719) (https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/1740138-lian-li-o11-xl-vs-phantek-luxe2-719-a.html)

acoustic 01-09-2020 07:10 AM

Lian Li O11 XL vs Phantek Luxe2 (719)

I'm looking to replace my Corsair 750D with a case that will fit larger rads. I'll be doing my first custom loop setup once I get back home in September of this year. Currently running a 9900K w/ an EVGA 360 CLC and a EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra on the stock air cooler. I will likely be doing a full system upgrade, or at a minimum grabbing a 3080TI. The 9900K @ 5.1/4.8 might stick around if AMD or Intel's releases aren't worth the investment. I've mulled over a 10980XE as I despise the lack of PCIE lanes on the consumer Intel chipset, but much better to hold out instead of buying one now and then leaving the rig next month for it to collect dust for the next 6 months.

Both of these cases have really grabbed my eye in terms of customization. I seen Phantek's CES cases and while they look promising, nothing is an upgrade from the 719 - just looks to be a drop in price for the 719 under the name of the Enthoo Pro II. The Lian Li O11 XL will be limited to 360mm rads, but I could do a triple 360mm setup (top, side, bottom). The 719 is massive, and I could go 2x 480 rads with potentially 2x 360s (but would probably just do 2x 480, 1x 360 for my needs w/ just CPU+GPU). The 011 XL with the EK Distro plate looks really nice as well. Just not sure if the pump in that thing would be good enough for a triple rad loop? If I go with the 719, I'd be grabbing a D5 of course.

Are there any glaring issues with either case that I should be aware of? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 719 now, just so it's one less thing I need to worry about having shipped to me when I get back. I haven't really seen much to indicate there will be a better case by the end of the year, but I could have missed something.

bhoot 01-09-2020 02:40 PM

Read up on the Phanteks main thread in this forum. As for Rads. You can 3-4 Rads if they are 120mm based. 140mm is a no. For 140mm, you can do a 420 roof max, tried this myself when the manual so it did not fit. If you go 420 roof the. 280max at the from or you can wedge the 420 front and top.
Single 140mm floor.
Front mid panel takes 4x120mm but thin Rads only. If I was doing a 120mm setup I would go with roof 3x130, mid panel same and front same. If you use HDDs like I do then your choices change, floor Rad is the. 2x120 max. DrW it out in a Peper and it will be easier for you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

acoustic 01-09-2020 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I only have NVME drives so won't have to worry about HDDs, thankfully. From the specs on Phantek's website, it should fit a 480 on the front mid panel, and a 480 on the front panel. It claims only 360 rad support for the roof, so explains why you couldn't fit a 420 in there lol. I will have to draw this stuff out as you said, just figured people would have been stuck choosing between these two cases are they both seem really popular.

bhoot 01-20-2020 10:13 AM

You can fit a 420 Rad in the roof. Eyeballed this myself.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

tatmMRKIV 01-20-2020 11:37 AM

phanteks makes a distroplate for like 100$ that should be compatible with the luxe2 https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Dist...s%2C208&sr=8-1
I got a lianli dynamic 011 and after my experience with it and reading other reviews, I believe lianli has gone down significantly in quality since the good ol days. A lot of people including myself have issues with GPUs mounting up properly. (PCI-e support screws don't line up)

I have only gotten a few phanteks things but no issues with them.
I have a waterblock I haven't gotten around to instaling yet, and the acrylic is very high quality

sakete 01-20-2020 03:52 PM

After reading a bit through the Phanteks thread I got a little concerned about build quality and design issues, particularly design, as in not a ton of clearance above mobo for rads, not much space in back for cable management, etc.

Are those overblown? I too am interested in either the 719 or 011 XL.

Section31 01-20-2020 04:11 PM

Its kind of hard to compare the two since one is a case designed for two mobos(like the 1000d) and the other is just a larger PC-011 Dynamic. They are different size wise too. You need to look what you are putting in watercooling and size you want. The Luxe has support up to 480mm rads (not sure about radiator thickness) and can support more rads than the pc-011xl.

In regards to rad setup, you need to look around builds. There are many O11 XL builds out there showing what you can go with. If your motherboard VRM is not too tall, people have managed to stick two 54mm HWL radiators (bottom and top) and you can put in an 360mm HWL GTS in side. Then mount the reservoir/pump combo onto the 360GTS fans. I personally would look at the front mounted distro plate than ekwb but those cost a ton (as much as the case).

I have used both Phantek and LianLi and I think quality wise both are probably equal. I currently own an LianLi PC-011 XL and i am satisfied with it. Of course, the quality obviously doesn't compare to my caselabs S8 (still in use). I was following the new cases at CES and to me LianLi looks to me the more innovative company. They are testing out new idea. I love the prototype with the removable motherboard tray.

airisom2 01-20-2020 04:53 PM

I would wait for the Enthoo Pro 2. Filling all fan spots with rads isn't a great idea since one or more of them will just be recycling dumped heat from another rad. Well, unless you set them all to exhaust and leave your side panel off...and put a box fan next to your case...heh.

Anyway, I believe that if Phanteks releases the Pro 2 they showed at CES, that'll be the new go-to case. 4x 120mm fan intake in the front, GTS 480 side, GTS 360 top, GTX 360 bottom, 120/140 intake rear all controlled with that new aquearo octo pwm controller. Instead of spending hundreds on a12x25s, just grab some arctic p12s and plenty of splitters.

It's likely to be one of the best, if not the best air cooled case as well because of the more open front panel and fan mounting options. The 3x120mm fan mounts on the bottom will be a boon for gpu cooling as well because of the direct airflow path. Very few cases have that setup on the bottom.

Versus the 719, it's a no brainer, imo, if you care about case thermals over aesthetics. Just because of the front panel change, the Pro 2 is going to be the better than the 719 in thermals while being cheaper and sharing the same internal design.

sakete 01-20-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airisom2 (Post 28294058)
I would wait for the Enthoo Pro 2. Filling all fan spots with rads isn't a great idea since one or more of them will just be recycling dumped heat from another rad. Well, unless you set them all to exhaust and leave your side panel off...and put a box fan next to your case...heh.

Anyway, I believe that if Phanteks releases the Pro 2 they showed at CES, that'll be the new go-to case. 4x 120mm fan intake in the front, GTS 480 side, GTS 360 top, GTX 360 bottom, 120/140 intake rear all controlled with that new aquearo octo pwm controller. Instead of spending hundreds on a12x25s, just grab some arctic p12s and plenty of splitters.

It's likely to be one of the best, if not the best air cooled case as well because of the more open front panel and fan mounting options. The 3x120mm fan mounts on the bottom will be a boon for gpu cooling as well because of the direct airflow path. Very few cases have that setup on the bottom.

Versus the 719, it's a no brainer, imo, if you care about case thermals over aesthetics. Just because of the front panel change, the Pro 2 is going to be the better than the 719 in thermals while being cheaper and sharing the same internal design.

The Pro 2 with that nylon fabric mesh front? Nice idea in theory, but that mesh will be very difficult to clean, all the dust particles will get stuck in it. It'll go from black to beige within a month and you'll never get it out. They should just use metal.

Otherwise for those who need a bunch of HDDs, bottom fans will be limited to 1x 140mm.

airisom2 01-20-2020 05:52 PM

Well, for the fabric, just wet it with some soapy wooder and rinse it off. For the HDDs, get a DAS or NAS. Problems solved :D

edit: but yeah, I agree. I'd take a traditional filter over the fabric, but if that's the only downside to an otherwise great case, I'll just deal with the grey circles and call it a day. With how open it looks, it doesn't look like it would be catching that much dust anyway.