Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel CPUs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/)
-   -   Do we know how they bin chips from certain sites ? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1740358-do-we-know-how-they-bin-chips-certain-sites.html)

Turtle Rig 01-13-2020 10:40 AM

Do we know how they bin chips from certain sites ?

I basically want to know if there is possibility that you can with the lottery buying CPU from best buy or another site like amazon and B&H. Best buy is selling the cheapest 10980XE in the world. 999.99 US dollar. Or another vendor for that matter. How can you better your chances if that is possible ? Thanks The 1049 US Dollar siliconlottery 10980XE seems promising but who knows when they will have it in stock just like other sites. sighs. This has become a big story for no reason. It has been week and half it will be 2 month no chips anywhere. We might wait so long a new Intel chipset will come out and where still trying to get a 10980XE and what not. The 102xx 14nm new chipset 8 cores 5.3Ghz. That makes me melt. However 8 more threads the 10980XE would be the king of Multicore performance. I also heard that a 10980XE @ 4.8Ghz is the same as a 9900k at 5Ghz. With the small tweakage they did that is very nice to know.

Turtle Rig 01-13-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan86 (Post 28281358)
There are a few other sites selling the 10980XE for less the 999.99 but not by much.

That being said I never hard of any retailer getting a better bin of CPUs

Thank you for your reponse. Gosh I hate this binning game tho. Cheaper then 999.99 IM assuming you mean out of stock ?

Nick the Slick 01-13-2020 10:47 AM

Wal-Mart actually gets the best binned chips. You have to go to back where the stock is kept and give the guy a secret password and he'll give you access. Good luck figuring out the password though if you're not in the loop. It's different for every store and they usually change it once a week.

Turtle Rig 01-13-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick the Slick (Post 28281366)
Wal-Mart actually gets the best binned chips. You have to go to back where the stock is kept and give the guy a secret password and he'll give you access. Good luck figuring out the password though if you're not in the loop. It's different for every store and they usually change it once a week.

Thanks a bunch for that message. I would be happy with 1.250v @ 4.8Ghz all cores. Although some guy had it at 1.21v at 4.8Ghz all core. That is a ok difference I don't mind I just don't wanna get stuck with a CPU that needs 1.3v and then some for a 4.8Ghz OC and what not.

Shawnb99 01-13-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick the Slick (Post 28281366)

lol

It's called the lottery for reason. Just buy the CPU from wherever it's in stock and try you luck. Depending on the store's refund policy you can try and return it if it doesn't perform like you want. Do you really need the extra 300Mhz anyway?

Plus places like SL bin them at a set voltage. My 9900K was binned at 4.9 but can easily go past that if i crank the voltage.

aDyerSituation 01-13-2020 11:10 AM

4.8 seems pretty easy on these from what I've seen(if you can cool it.) just buy the cheapest one

lightsout 01-13-2020 11:22 AM

It's got nothing to do with any store. Just snag one when you find the price you want. Honestly the 200~ish mhz difference that a good versus a "bad" chip will net you is meaningless in real life. Just don't look at the OC record boards and your good.

skupples 01-13-2020 11:24 AM

no.

this is why silicon lottery can get away with their high way robbery practices.

pewpewlazer 01-13-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle Rig (Post 28281354)
The 1049 US Dollar siliconlottery 10980XE seems promising but who knows when they will have it in stock just like other sites. sighs.

Why does the lowest binned one from Silicon Lottery "seem promising"? If anything, that guarantees that you'll get one of the absolute worst ones you can get.

skupples 01-13-2020 06:25 PM

the only people that get better bins are reviewers. end of story. this is why services like silicon lottery can charge out the ass for a guaranteed clocker.

here we are, nearly 2 months after you've joined, you could've been synthing like Data weeks ago via 3950x.

you realize you're making yourself seem incredibly autistic by holding onto this fallacy that this chip will some how be noticeably better from a 3950x (the superior multitasker) right? all while wasting yourself hella time riding that dinosaur x79. The amount of time you've lost yourself in rendering and post is incalculable.