Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [Phoronix] NVIDIA Demonstrates Porting Of DirectX Ray-Tracing To Vulkan (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1743250-phoronix-nvidia-demonstrates-porting-directx-ray-tracing-vulkan.html)

WannaBeOCer 03-02-2020 08:07 PM

[Phoronix] NVIDIA Demonstrates Porting Of DirectX Ray-Tracing To Vulkan

Source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-DXR-To-Vulkan

Quote:

Big "open-source" achievements aren't too common for NVIDIA or Microsoft much less together, but thanks to their open-source work on the DXC DirectXCompiler it's possible to easily convert HLSL DXR shaders to SPIR-V for Vulkan.

NVIDIA has written a new technical blog post on bringing HLSL ray-tracing to Vulkan with the same capabilities of DirextX Ray-Tracing. This effort is made feasible by Microsoft's existing open-source DirectXCompiler (DXC) with SPIR-V back-end for consumption by Vulkan drivers. Last year NVIDIA contributed to the open-source DXC support for SPV_NV_ray_tracing. This in turn with the open-source tooling allows converting DXR HLSL shaders into SPIR-V modules for Vulkan.

skupples 03-02-2020 08:37 PM

NV and MS secretly admit DX12 is currently trash
jk jk.

oh wait, wonder if we'll see RDR2 Ray Tracing update on the vulkan side then! (runs and looks better in my world)

Defoler 03-03-2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28351932)
NV and MS secretly admit DX12 is currently trash
jk jk.

oh wait, wonder if we'll see RDR2 Ray Tracing update on the vulkan side then! (runs and looks better in my world)

I expect nvidia to push for it in order to lure more developers who prefer using vulkan over DX12 or xbox developers to use ray tracing, where they currently have the lead.
The more use of ray tracing, the higher they can say take a lead in sales as long as AMD don't have an answer (which I don't expect to arrive in big navi, since AMD seem to play to use software solution).

skupples 03-03-2020 05:56 AM

I'm stoked. vulkan is the only place where mGPU seems to be a thing anymore :D
give developers ALL the reasons to use it.

littledonny 03-03-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28352296)
I'm stoked. vulkan is the only place where mGPU seems to be a thing anymore :D
give developers ALL the reasons to use it.

Part of me wonders if ray tracing will get dedicated hardware for the high-end, like a tensor core only add-in card.

JackCY 03-03-2020 08:34 AM

Sure if you want the latency penalty of a dedicated card for non interactive rendering.

DNMock 03-03-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defoler (Post 28352082)
I expect nvidia to push for it in order to lure more developers who prefer using vulkan over DX12 or xbox developers to use ray tracing, where they currently have the lead.
The more use of ray tracing, the higher they can say take a lead in sales as long as AMD don't have an answer (which I don't expect to arrive in big navi, since AMD seem to play to use software solution).

Nah, the consoles are pushing for ray-tracing, so I would expect AMD to have some form of a ray-tracing solution available with Big Navi and on all other RDNA2 gpu's

NightAntilli 03-03-2020 10:08 AM

nVidia is trying to leverage their technology on Vulkan before AMD comes with their implementation.

WannaBeOCer 03-03-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightAntilli (Post 28352650)
nVidia is trying to leverage their technology on Vulkan before AMD comes with their implementation.

Khronos Group already stated they're going to be using nVidia's VKRay as their default template.

UltraMega 03-03-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 28352684)
Khronos Group already stated they're going to be using nVidia's VKRay as their default template.

And they want to make sure it stays that way.