Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [pcgamer] How the industry is reacting to E3's cancellation (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1743764-pcgamer-how-industry-reacting-e3s-cancellation.html)

essanbee 03-25-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28381676)
My inside source says if you want to run two books it's still entirely doable, just more hoops to jump through. Drivers run in a team and never switch off, so one person just sits in the bed all day. They go for Volvo trucks for this specifically because of the oversized cab.

Oh yeah, team driving is legal. I was thinking you meant two books to cheat.

skupples 03-25-2020 03:06 PM

saw a photo the other day, dude had an entire office setup in his sleeper.

EniGma1987 03-25-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28381690)
Oh yeah, team driving is legal. I was thinking you meant two books to cheat.

yes, that is what I meant when asking. I know that used to be the norm back when I knew people in trucking. That was a long time ago now though

Mand12 03-26-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28381368)
in with wuhan, out with kung... lol...

people need to grow up n realize this would happen less often if people didn't REEEEE about it.

it's full on circle jerk. be outraged, post about outrage, get clicks about outrage, fuels more outrage.

So, you're just trolling then? Nice to know.

skupples 03-26-2020 08:40 AM

99.99% of my posts are slapstick nonsense, yes.

i feel sorry for people that burden offense in the name of others. Like the college groups full of white kids that tried to shut down sports teams using Tribe names & mascots. (can agree redskin is not a good team name. however, The Seminoles is not. They even have box seats @ Doak Campbell stadium)

tpi2007 03-26-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diffident (Post 28375796)
In US 14,000 flu deaths this season, 250 to corona.

Another post that didn't age well at all. Five days later and it's at 1k+ deaths from it in the US (1046 currently). And this is late March we're talking about, Spring time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28379714)
We need to swing this conversation around and consider the perspective on whether we are spiting our noses to save our face.

Question imposed of our "leaders" should be whether these measures are advisable/sustainable.

Stop the mass hysteria, you're only feeding into people's fears. People that have no clue what's going on beside main stream drivel.

Hysteria that have caused people to loose their jobs, their savings, investments, nest eggs and empty store shelves. In the end the hysteria and isolation measures may kill more people then this "virus". You can bet that there will be more repercussions to come.

If things don't go back to normal soon the "virus" will be the least of your worries.

It's always a tough balancing act when all the information available tells that you're going to have a recession (or are already in one). The fact is that this is a new virus for which there is no acquired immunity, no herd immunity. There will be consequences. If you act as normal you run the very, very high risk that hospitals get overrun with cases (just like they have in some countries in Europe, like Italy and Spain) and then the system collapses and not even people with other diseases get to be treated. And what follows suit? Even more desperate measures and people in chaos mode because they can't get treated. People just have to do their best. Quick, 80%+ reliable tests should be carried out as soon as possible to everybody so that we can have more reasonable measures put in place that hurt the economy less and medicine and vaccine research should be sped up as much as possible, but beyond that, with the severity of the virus compared to the common flu, it's inevitable that there will be negative consequences.

8051 03-26-2020 09:34 AM

So if the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders were lifted it would be worse in the short term (i.e. more deaths/hospitalizations) but better in the long term (i.e. for the economy)? Or would it be worse on all counts than continuing the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders?

skupples 03-26-2020 10:05 AM

we'll know soon, as many corporations complying with the work from home plan will start requiring people return to work @ the end of the 15 days.

flattening the curve is about slowing down all the death, more so than stopping it.

it's interesting to see where it ISN'T affecting people. Probably areas that had it before we admitted it was here. people love to reference the last known flu death statistic as a "what's the big deal?!?!" statement, which they picked up listening to too much conservative talk radio.

the big deal is, go look at 2018, 2017, 2016... n then realize doctors all but refuse to test you for flu when you're clearly sick with flu. So the numbers we already have, and overly rely on to embrace our denialism are highly inaccurate. 2020 flu season will be the first time we've captured half way accurate statistics in many moons.

sharts getting more potent, that's the big deal.

tpi2007 03-26-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 28382674)
So if the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders were lifted it would be worse in the short term (i.e. more deaths/hospitalizations) but better in the long term (i.e. for the economy)? Or would it be worse on all counts than continuing the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders?

With the severity of the virus compared to the normal flu, there is no healthcare system that can provide for hospitalizations of all the people that need it if we were to carry on as normal. You might survive under hard circumstances under lockdown until there is effective medicine and a vaccine, but the chances of a lot of people being infected and needing care and dying in a short amount of time without access to proper medical care, many of which could have been treated effectively if it weren't for a collapsed hospital system, is greater.

Also, let's not forget that the medical crews are at greater risk here too, if a large percentage of them get infected because of having to treat these cases non stop 24/7, leading to longer working hours, higher stress, lower immune system, you'll end up with a severely crippled medical system in the end and that's not good when it comes to the general health of a country long term.

Most people will end up getting infected, but we have to spread out the infection rate over a period of months and not weeks, so that the healthcare system can handle it - and also while we wait for medicine and a vaccine, otherwise the consequences would be catastrophic. This is a buy time strategy. It's not ideal, but there is no ideal in this case, ideally the virus would not exist or we could fast forward in time when there is herd immunity and / or the virus has mutated into a perhaps more contagious but less lethal disease, just like the common flu.

What countries need to do at the moment is test everyone in order to be able to have more reasonable containment measures, buy medical equipment, be decisive in providing safety nets in case of unemployment and have a clear plan of what to do to kickstart the economy once we get out of this critical period.

Mand12 03-26-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 28382674)

It would be worse in the short term and in the long term. This isn't something that will just sweep us by quickly and then it's back to normal if we do nothing - millions dead and tens of millions needing hospitalization in a matter of weeks will be a massive hit to the economy no matter what the right-wingers will tell you.

And, also, millions will be dead who didn't have to be.