Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [pcgamer] How the industry is reacting to E3's cancellation (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1743764-pcgamer-how-industry-reacting-e3s-cancellation.html)

8051 03-12-2020 01:39 AM

[pcgamer] How the industry is reacting to E3's cancellation

Quote:

The ESA held out as long as it could, but in the end it was inevitable: E3, the highest-profile videogame show in North America, was cancelled today because of the global coronavirus health emergency.

The shutdown is bad enough in its own right, but making matters worse, it comes in the wake of growing questions about E3's relevance at a time when broadband internet has enabled game publishers to reach their customers directly.

Source

Ashura 03-12-2020 01:52 AM

Corona Virus is just an excuse.

ToTheSun! 03-12-2020 01:56 AM

With good reason. It's blowing up in Europe because of people's general carelessness.

skupples 03-12-2020 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28364392)
With good reason. It's blowing up in Europe because of people's general carelessness.

yeah... I have a feeling those claiming the US and canada will get hit just like the EU are wrong. Cuz we didn't have scores of infected fleeing into our states, like they did.

then again, it also could have been here for almost 6 weeks now, n just not affecting the general healthy population the same. Takes time to work its way to the sheltered away old folks that're dropping like flies everywhere else?

wonder how long until every single epic product of 1H2020 is pushed into 2H & 2021. Hopefully the market keeps slowly going down. been meaning to put more money in & all my long holds are too expensive for me to re-up onatm .

hout17 03-12-2020 04:24 AM

Things are just warming up we have equally as careless people in the United States.

Wash your hands people oh and it's not all about you think of the greater good!!

Bad5ector 03-12-2020 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28364472)
Hopefully the market keeps slowly going down. been meaning to put more money in & all my long holds are too expensive for me to re-up onatm .

Man, I bet Warren Buffet is just loving this. Though I don't know how many more "long term" investments he has left in him.

ToTheSun! 03-12-2020 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hout17 (Post 28364478)
Things are just warming up we have equally as careless people in the United States.

Wash your hands people oh and it's not all about you think of the greater good!!

I'm ashamed to say some people in my country have actually gathered to participate in corona themed parties.

It's already reached my town, and it's not just the virus that's to blame.

I've already made peace with the fact that I will eventually catch the thing, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to be able to do well, considering I'm young and very healthy. But it pains me to see people being this stupid.

hout17 03-12-2020 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28364490)
I'm ashamed to say some people in my country have actually gathered to participate in corona themed parties.

It's already reached my town, and it's not just the virus that's to blame.

I've already made peace with the fact that I will eventually catch the thing, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to be able to do well, considering I'm young and very healthy. But it pains me to see people being this stupid.

I absolutely agree and if we value our older family members we will do our part to slow the spread. Those stats all have names and families associated with them. It's starting pick up pace spreading wise here as well.

Gunderman456 03-12-2020 07:58 AM

Hegelian Dialectic = Problem -> Reaction -> Solution.

bigjdubb 03-12-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashura (Post 28364388)

Of course it is, they even stated that it was.

Quote:

cancelled as a result of the Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak
Really doesn't get more clear than that.

Quote:

In fact, industry analyst Doug Creutz told the Wall Street Journal (via Sarah E. Needleman) that the coronavirus could prove to be an existential turning point for E3: If publishers are able to adequately reach their fans directly through online presentations, the absence of the show could end up demonstrating beyond any doubt that it's simply not relevant anymore.
That applies to every one of these stupid conventions/expos/whatever.

EniGma1987 03-12-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Isnt the virus spread by coughing and sneezing and can only bind to something in a persons lungs? Washing your hands wouldnt really stop that

bigjdubb 03-12-2020 08:16 AM

You are taking in particles when you breathe, some of them will be particles from the peoples hands, butts, balls that are around you. Your hands are the most frequent contact point, if everyone's hands are clean then there will be less spread of all kinds of virus.

The same things that keep you safe from all the other strains of flu that infects millions, and kills thousands of people every year should help protect you from this strain.

Shawnb99 03-12-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EniGma1987 (Post 28364670)
Isnt the virus spread by coughing and sneezing and can only bind to something in a persons lungs? Washing your hands wouldnt really stop that

Coughing and sneezing spreads the germs where they then land everywhere, you end up touching where it landed you pick up the virus with your hand and the next time you touch your face and you're now infected. Washing your hands for 20 seconds kills the germs hence why they say to wash your hands. It's impossible not to touch your face so the more you can keep your hands clean the safer you are.

DNMock 03-12-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

yeah... I have a feeling those claiming the US and canada will get hit just like the EU are wrong. Cuz we didn't have scores of infected fleeing into our states, like they did.

then again, it also could have been here for almost 6 weeks now, n just not affecting the general healthy population the same. Takes time to work its way to the sheltered away old folks that're dropping like flies everywhere else?

wonder how long until every single epic product of 1H2020 is pushed into 2H & 2021. Hopefully the market keeps slowly going down. been meaning to put more money in & all my long holds are too expensive for me to re-up onatm .

We are gonna get smashed here in the U.S. but not quite as bad as in Europe. The outbreak there had a good 2 week jump on us in the Americas and we are getting close to the summer sun's UV radiation to begin it's disinfection process. Now if there is no vaccine (don't think there will be) by the beginning of next winter, that's when things are gonna get interesting.

The real body count from Covid-19 is gonna be from the global recession it's causing and broken global supply chains.

8051 03-12-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Wash your hands -- wasn't that the advice given out in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2? Didn't seem to help much w/their green flu.

Diffident 03-12-2020 01:52 PM

This is just getting out of hand. The world is grinding to a halt. Sports leagues are shutting down.....People would really be freaking out if they did daily flu deaths on the news every day.

8051 03-12-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashura (Post 28364388)

The NBA has basically canceled their 2020 season. The amount of money going to be lost by the NBA, players and teams will be mind boggling.

The Pook 03-12-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28364962)
We are gonna get smashed here in the U.S.

The outbreak there had a good 2 week jump on us in the Americas and we are getting close to the summer sun's UV radiation to begin it's disinfection process.

Now if there is no vaccine (don't think there will be) by the beginning of next winter, that's when things are gonna get interesting.

The real body count from Covid-19 is gonna be from the global recession it's causing and broken global supply chains.

https://i.imgur.com/3ZomRNO.gif

aDyerSituation 03-12-2020 02:10 PM

I'm upset events are getting cancelled. I don't get to have fun because old people are dying to the flu. Tough

DNMock 03-12-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28364972)

Are you questioning that the uptick in solar radiation in the summer is a major disinfectant, or that the global recession will likely lead to way more deaths than the virus itself?

bigjdubb 03-12-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28364992)
Are you questioning that the uptick in solar radiation in the summer is a major disinfectant, or that the global recession will likely lead to way more deaths than the virus itself?

The economic impact from our extreme reaction mentality is what has me scared. I'm actually more scared of that than I am of heart disease, and heart disease is probably what will kill me.

The Pook 03-12-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28364992)

is there an 'other' option or perhaps a "refer to H1N1/MRSA/SARS/MERS sensationalism" option?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjdubb (Post 28365006)
The economic impact from our extreme reaction mentality is what has me scared. I'm actually more scared of that than I am of heart disease, and heart disease is probably what will kill me.

:thumb:

DNMock 03-12-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28365012)
is there an 'other' option or perhaps a "refer to H1N1/MRSA/SARS/MERS sensationalism" option?

:thumb:

Can you be a little less vague by chance? Not trying to be a jackwagon or anything here, I seriously don't know what you were calling into question there or even if you actually were lol.

The Pook 03-12-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28365024)
Can you be a little less vague by chance? Not trying to be a jackwagon or anything here, I seriously don't know what you were calling into question there or even if you actually were lol.

it's not the plague, it's just sensationalism. don't have an international orgy (and wash your hands if you do) and you're probably gonna be fine so long as you aren't already immunocompromised and/or elderly.

Pro3ootector 03-12-2020 03:15 PM

Hi All. I live in Germany and i can tell Ya that all they say in media is total BS. Situation is serious. In Italy 1000 people died already. Young / Old it's not a germ virus like media tells. All schools, cinema, concert everything that has people packed in 1m distance is being shuted down. All TV / media information is total BS. It's out of control. Seriously.

edit: I have just hear a recording of a Polish woman calling her friend in Poland and she says that in Italy they were sayng the same things they say in Polish Tv now. And its BS. She say it's not a germ virus and people can't even go to hospital when they are sick cause there are co many patients with CONVID-19. It's a disaster.

skupples 03-12-2020 03:18 PM

most of us will be fine. it's a super nasty flu.

pretty sure its been cruising the port states of america for 5-6 weeks now. no one else thinks its a little weird how america went from no cases to dead grannies in washington overnight?

did they ever track down who brought it into the assisted living home in the first place? Bet that dude either worked in/near a port, or knew someone who did or maybe they were just in china for the weekend.

confirmed cases hit florida days later. gotta love our governor "errmm excuse me, this isn't community spread CUZ CRUISE SHIPS!" yeah bruh, but they went home. so now its community spread.

yet some how, all the health notification auto-dials keep saying "we hope for tests to become readily available in the coming weeks"

i assume they mean self administered? how else are they confirming cases currently if the clinnics they keep referencing on TV are calling me saying they don't have tests yet? :P

either way, i'd say its safe to add a zero or two to the known confirmed US cases.

the funny part is doctors have likely turned away testing positive patiens in the very beginning, due to the common practice of only treating symptoms in healthy adults.

hout17 03-12-2020 03:29 PM

If the mortality rate is anywhere close to what the numbers are showing (around 3.4%) (and of course they are skewed and there are probably more) then this is quite a bit more dangerous than the flu considering the flu's mortality rate is .1%. Do the math globally this is going to kill a LOT more people for the same amount infected. Do the older/compromised people a favor and try not to spread it so hospitals don't get overwhelmed.

Either way I wish you all well.

skupples 03-12-2020 03:47 PM

most definitely. like i said. super nasty flu virus.

i added bold, italics, n underline, to make even nastier! :P

those of us that're young and healthy should be doing whatever is necessary to ensure the old people in our family/lives have everything they need to allow themselves the luxury of shutting in.

ToTheSun! 03-12-2020 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hout17 (Post 28365110)
If the mortality rate is anywhere close to what the numbers are showing (around 3.4%) (and of course they are skewed and there are probably more) then this is quite a bit more dangerous than the flu considering the flu's mortality rate is .1%. Do the math globally this is going to kill a LOT more people for the same amount infected. Do the older/compromised people a favor and try not to spread it so hospitals don't get overwhelmed.

Either way I wish you all well.

It's actually 7%. The 3% figure is considering all cases, closed and currently being treated. Of course, the mortality rate is, to an uncertain degree, inflated by the poor quality of treatment in certain areas. But, at this stage, I think we can say it's comfortably deadlier than the common flu - at least until we have a vaccine or stronger medicine.

skupples 03-12-2020 04:09 PM

was going thru this earlier today. lots of datas.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

n it was actually all presented on one long page. no click per paragraph nonsense like many similar sites do.

UltraMega 03-12-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjdubb (Post 28365006)

the sooner the better, you 26 year old-ish liar. I can't think of anything more pathetic than pretending to be someone you're not on a website that's already anonymous.

Diffident 03-12-2020 04:56 PM

That's only assuming that everyone that contracts it, is counted. I've never in my adult life gone to the doctor because of the flu. Who knows how many people that had the corona virus, recovered and no one even knew about it.

UltraMega 03-12-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28365148)
It's actually 7%. The 3% figure is considering all cases, closed and currently being treated. Of course, the mortality rate is, to an uncertain degree, inflated by the poor quality of treatment in certain areas. But, at this stage, I think we can say it's comfortably deadlier than the common flu - at least until we have a vaccine or stronger medicine.

I appreciate you trying to find more info on this but it's not anywhere close to 7%. I've done a lot of info gathering on this, and my gf works at a hospital that is getting more direct info than the general public.

Currently the mortality rate is between 2-3% but that number is inflated right now due to poor testing. I'n places like Iran the mortality rate appears much higher because they're only testing people who are already really sick, so they're not catching the mild cases at all. On top of that, its believed that children wont be showing any symptoms at all most of the time, so we wont know when they are infected unless we start testing everyone.

South Korea has been hit hard, but because they reacted fast and effectively, the number of new cases is dropped drastically and they believe they have the situation under control now. China may not be far behind South Korea, but the US is quote far behind. In South Korea they have drive through testing places. I can't see anything so organized and accessibly happening in the US.

So the data is hard to read right now because testing is poor, but in places that already have good testing the mortality rate is much lower, due to more people who are infected being counted.

None of this is to say we should not be concerned. Even if you are young and healthy, many people are not so we should be worried about minimizing the spread to protect those who are more vulnerable.

skupples 03-12-2020 05:15 PM

shouldn't be concerned about the market. you should be hyped. the correction that's been impending will be overly potent, n it'll be time to buy in again for long haul stuffs.

buy low, sell high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28365210)
Spoiler!

that's about as much information as a on the 15s news update is giving atm.

ToTheSun! 03-12-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28365210)
I appreciate you trying to find more info on this but it's not anywhere close to 7%.

I'm reading the official numbers. Everything else is pure speculation on my part.

I said in the very same post that the number is inflated by poor measures. Regardless, strain on healthcare systems, which are palpable, non-theoretical bodies that affect lives in real ways, increases the mortality rate.

I mean, I can quote the estimate they have for a fully prepared country, which is around 0,5%. But that value is meaningless because Europe and, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, the Americas are terribly ill-prepared.

My country is now talking about measures that will start being enforced monday next week - ones that should have been taken A WEEK AGO. Our healthcare system is in pretty bad shape as is; I don't want to know what will happen when thousands start flooding it real soon.

skupples 03-12-2020 05:20 PM

idk why you even took that retort seriously.

sounded like someone that caught the news on the way home, n dates a nurse.

looniam 03-12-2020 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
its just millennials getting back at the boomers for having all the money . . .

Attachment 332404

skupples 03-12-2020 05:32 PM

inheritance comes early for many mils this year.

makes you wonder if someone tinkered with it before it got out. I bet I could go find some epic theories over on infowars, think i'll not though lol.

Lexi is Dumb 03-12-2020 05:42 PM

Is anyone even going to miss it? Doubtful that there might have been an AMD announcement again this time, Sony doesn't show up anymore anyway and Xbox has already detailed the Series X elsewhere. No one remembers 90% of games showcased because its such a giant cluster---- with too many trailers one after another and in between ridiculous spectacles, dev conferences overlapping on top of all that - pc gaming show just going on the whole time mostly with nothing to say so you miss some conferences altogether if you're there. i'd argue it got too big and too much like a circus to be useful, it's difficult to wade through the insane amount of noise.

Our federal government is giving significant funding to preparation, research, treatment etc within our healthcare system- even rurally. People are immediately entitled to a sick pay pension if told to go home from work, on top of a huge stimulus package for small and medium businesses, funds for keeping apprentices/trainees hired etc to keep the economy running through all of this. Amazing that a country can be the first to officially label it a pandemic and still give a general sense of confidence and stability, I rarely agree with our overlords but today I feel reassured.

skupples 03-12-2020 05:46 PM

its been fascinating to watch the convention scene go mainstream though.

wonder if devs/etc will stream out what they were gonna show instead.

cssorkinman 03-12-2020 06:14 PM

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Interesting how the case numbers in china flattened out so dramatically.

The Pook 03-12-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28365290)

wow

reminding people to wash their hands curbs the spread

good thing we have all these armchair scientists or we'd be in super big trouble

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraMega (Post 28365204)
the sooner the better, you 26 year old-ish liar. I can't think of anything more pathetic than pretending to be someone you're not on a website that's already anonymous.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ztc...6wiA/giphy.gif

skupples 03-12-2020 07:10 PM

the number of people who regularly don't wash their hands after hitting the can @ work astounds me. They even do it when they know other people are in their. -.-

Diffident 03-12-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28365352)
the number of people who regularly don't wash their hands after hitting the can @ work astounds me. They even do it when they know other people are in their. -.-

That's everyone where I work.....well since Porta-Potties don't have sinks. :p

essanbee 03-12-2020 07:24 PM

A complete overreaction like all the other recently announced cancellations. This will turn out to be nothing much. A politicized virus.

Gunderman456 03-12-2020 07:36 PM

Take precautions but don't live in fear and don't let fear dictate your actions. Be kind to others and don't believe everything you hear on CNN/FOX/ABC or being spewed by the authorities.

This latest virus is another in a long chain that has been rolled out for many years now - H1N1, SARS, Ebola, Avian influenza, Zica, Bird flu, Swine flu etc... Recognize the patterns as they enforce and take from you a little bit more each time.

It's a strain of flu and no matter the strain it will kill people (the young and the elderly like coincidentally this one is doing). Ask yourself why the sensationalism and longevity when other strains of flu have killed more people in the past. What is it that they are after? What sort of societal changes do they want to reap? We are seeing evidence of this now and there will be more. Don't just blindly absorb what they are telling you.

They want to instill fear in the minds regardless of the reality.

I think the Pook and essanbee has this well in hand. Question everything!!

cssorkinman 03-12-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28365304)
wow

reminding people to wash their hands curbs the spread

good thing we have all these armchair scientists or we'd be in super big trouble

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ztc...6wiA/giphy.gif

In a country of 1.4 billion people, only 3000 new cases in the last 21 days

skupples 03-12-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28365360)
A complete overreaction like all the other recently announced cancellations. This will turn out to be nothing much. A politicized virus.

its both serious, and being used as ammo against a looming presidential election. the final nail in the 4 year war, they see it as.

the people on social media hyping themselves into maniacal frenzies.. well, they have something to do that over every week now don't they? luckily, the internet still isn't real life. specially the social media side of it.

cssorkinman 03-12-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28365378)
its both serious, and being used as ammo against a looming presidential election. the final nail in the 4 year war, they see it as.

the people on social media hyping themselves into maniacal frenzies.. well, they have something to do that over every week now don't they? luckily, the internet still isn't real life. specially the social media side of it.

When the impeachment kerfluffle didn't have the desired effect , I was about certain this would happen.

DNMock 03-12-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook (Post 28365048)
it's not the plague, it's just sensationalism. don't have an international orgy (and wash your hands if you do) and you're probably gonna be fine so long as you aren't already immunocompromised and/or elderly.

Ah, for sure, I agree with you. The recession is gonna be fueled by the panic much more so than the disease itself.

skupples 03-12-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28365384)
When the impeachment kerfluffle didn't have the desired effect , I was about certain this would happen.

let's not ruffle mod feathers, but... i've gotta ask.

what happen?

globalists releasing killer viruses?

or finding yet another thing to run with?

cssorkinman 03-12-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28365390)
let's not ruffle mod feathers, but... i've gotta ask.

what happen?

globalists releasing killer viruses?

or finding yet another thing to run with?

A liberal media driven " crisis" aiming to undermine a good economy during a conservative presidency.

DNMock 03-12-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28365368)
It's a strain of flu and no matter the strain it will kill people (the young and the elderly like coincidentally this one is doing).

It's similar to the flu, but it's not the flu. And that is what is so scary. Getting one does not develop anti-bodies to the other, so they can operate in tandem and cause some real serious damage. That's why it needs to be nipped in the bud now, before it becomes a foregone annual conclusion.

You are right that both sides on the political aisle are trying to weaponize this for the election, but that isn't mutually exclusive to the disease being a real long term threat to a lot of people.

Gunderman456 03-12-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28365398)
It's similar to the flu, but it's not the flu. And that is what is so scary. Getting one does not develop anti-bodies to the other, so they can operate in tandem and cause some real serious damage. That's why it needs to be nipped in the bud now, before it becomes a foregone annual conclusion.

You are right that both sides on the political aisle are trying to weaponize this for the election, but that isn't mutually exclusive to the disease being a real long term threat to a lot of people.

https://www.ynhhs.org/patient-care/u...or-coronavirus

I looked it up and they say it's a virus like the flu is a virus and they both have the same symptoms. There really is not much info after that. The best they can say is that "Human coronaviruses are common throughout the world... More is being learned about this new virus every day..." This strain appears to have emanated from "... a previously unrecognized bat coronavirus." So not from a human strain but a more mysterious bat strain. At least they changed it up and it does not originate from a pig or a monkey this time.

"Coronavirus vs. the flu: Which is a greater threat? COVID-19 and the flu are both contagious viruses that cause respiratory illness. While public health officials are still learning more about symptoms and severity of COVID-19 vs. the flu, the best way to prevent either illness is to take everyday precautions including frequent hand washing; refraining from touching your eyes, nose and mouth; and staying home if you are sick."

They than go on talking about a flu overview and prevention is similar to the Coronavirus (washing etc...) with a distinction in preventative measures by taking the flu shot. No mention on how to treat Coronavirus. Like the common cold, there will be no treatment just more preventative measures.

overpass 03-13-2020 12:20 AM

Methinks it will feel like influenza without flu shot to most, and this doesn't mutate as much but can spread very wide, much more than SARS, for example. It can be deadly to anyone with compromised immune system or those with existing illness like diabetes. So don't go the hospital if you suspect you have it, self-quarantine inside the house and monitor symptoms, unless they get serious. Call in regional health services for directions.

There are two approaches going on in the world against coronavirus, actually largely three,

1. Shutting down everything, like what China did, and now Italy is trying to emulate
2. Tracking everyone with illness, tracing their movements finding more potential patients, followed by testing and treatment. South Korea is doing it.
3. Limited treatment and largely treating it as just another flu, which is Japanese method

Which method is most effective I'm not so sure, but I know 2. is the hardest to do and limit damage the most, and 3. is likely what the US was pursuing but had to revert to other course because reasons (election).

Healthy and young people don't need to fear this disease but with those who often mingle with vulnerable population should likely adopt more vigilance. And being social animals we are, responsible for not only ourselves but others, should follow at least proper hygienic etiquette and vigilance at the least. Stay safe and healthy guys.

UltraMega 03-13-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28365222)
I'm reading the official numbers. Everything else is pure speculation on my part.

I said in the very same post that the number is inflated by poor measures. Regardless, strain on healthcare systems, which are palpable, non-theoretical bodies that affect lives in real ways, increases the mortality rate.

I mean, I can quote the estimate they have for a fully prepared country, which is around 0,5%. But that value is meaningless because Europe and, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, the Americas are terribly ill-prepared.

My country is now talking about measures that will start being enforced monday next week - ones that should have been taken A WEEK AGO. Our healthcare system is in pretty bad shape as is; I don't want to know what will happen when thousands start flooding it real soon.

I didn't read everything in this thread before replying to you. I'm only human.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28365226)
idk why you even took that retort seriously.

sounded like someone that caught the news on the way home, n dates a nurse.

Not a nurse, she works in an office for UC Davis but that is beside the point. If you fee something I said is untrue, feel free to point it out. If not, your criticism is unfounded and meaningless noise.

ToTheSun! 03-13-2020 02:47 AM

Quote:

That site is outdated.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

randomizer 03-13-2020 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28365368)
Ask yourself why the sensationalism and longevity when other strains of flu have killed more people in the past.

Probably because the caseload for influenza is more manageable. Italy doesn't collapse every year due to influenza. Also, influenza isn't asymptomatic, whereas COVID-19 can be, which puts vulnerable people at more risk because they can't be certain if apparently healthy people are not carriers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28365396)
A liberal media driven " crisis" aiming to undermine a good economy during a conservative presidency.

It might surprise you to learn that most of the world has no interest in undermining your economy and yet is still treating it as a crisis.

ToTheSun! 03-13-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomizer (Post 28365654)
Probably because the caseload for influenza is more manageable. Italy doesn't collapse every year due to influenza. Also, influenza isn't asymptomatic, whereas COVID-19 can be, which puts vulnerable people at more risk because they can't be certain if apparently healthy people are not carriers.

It might surprise you to learn that most of the world has no interest in undermining your economy and yet is still treating it as a crisis.

I'm surprised it's TP they ran out of and not tin foil.

Slaughtahouse 03-13-2020 06:10 AM

So is this thread about E3 or COVID-19?

If we stay on track, I don't think anyone is surprised E3 would be cancelled. As the writing was on the wall for a long time now. It's a shame that the focus is now on COVID. Sure, it is a legitimate excuse to cancel the event.

However, there is much more going on behind the scenes here with E3. Sony skipping, Nintendo with their directs, Geoff Keighley skipping etc.

Long story short, E3 was already on its way out...

To my understanding, E3 had one main function:

1. Provide an opportunity for developers, publishers, and other members of the industry to connect. Not the public.

However, the "connection" has become largely irrelevant over the past years. As many people across the web pointed, the barrier for entry is become so high, that events like PAX have becoming the stepping stones for many developers.

E3 tried to adapt many times over the years (refer to 2007, 2017 etc.) but ultimately, if it cannot serve it's purpose (item #1), what is the point? Why pay millions of dollars for a booth or a 5mn slot on a stage event? Everyone is now realizing that the tools necessary to get recognized are already available and are 100% viable.

Barrier to entry is once again lower, you have greater exposure, larger audience, and most importantly, you can control your message.

I say kudos to those for challenging the status quo.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...YlJ0vSIWPmn3dW

cssorkinman 03-13-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

You also have to consider that it may not surprise me in the least ;). Minor players, collateral damage. The country of origin of the virus has plenty of motives to do so as do the owners of most of the media outlets in the US.

DNMock 03-13-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Italy doesn't collapse every year due to influenza.

In Italy, they are either grossly under-reporting the number of infected, or the crisis level situation in the hospitals there is blown way out of proportion...

15,000 cases, with 80% being mild, means there are currently 3,000 cases nation wide that require hospitalization. My gut is telling me a first world nation of 57 million has the infrastructure to handle a sudden spike of 3,000 patients.

ThrashZone 03-13-2020 07:42 AM

Hi,
Italy is supposed to be 80% over 65 y.o. dang is that true or fake news :)

DNMock 03-13-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashZone (Post 28365874)
Hi,
Italy is supposed to be 80% over 65 y.o. dang is that true or fake news :)

80% of the cases or 80% of the population is over 65? Either way, fake news.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

91% of cases are mild, with 9% being serious/critical. Those numbers would be way more skewed toward serious/critical if either of those were true lol.

Gunderman456 03-13-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28365764)
You also have to consider that it may not surprise me in the least ;). Minor players, collateral damage. The country of origin of the virus has plenty of motives to do so as do the owners of most of the media outlets in the US.

Don't bother, some people have no eyes to see and have no ears to hear and like to bury their head in the sand while they insinuate we wrap our heads in tin foil. They like the Matrix and can never come out. Best thing to do is plant a seed, dust your sandals and move on. Maybe, it will peak someone's interest and they will do their own research. For most, they like the lie system, they like being lied to, it's like a big warm blanket.

ThrashZone 03-13-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28365884)

91% of cases are mild, with 9% being serious/critical. Those numbers would be way more skewed toward serious/critical if either of those were true lol.

Hi,
Population but thanks :)

Gunderman456 03-13-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28365884)

They can't differentiate between hype and reality. Just tell them to consume and be happy.

cssorkinman 03-13-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28365888)
Don't bother, some people have no eyes to see and have no ears to hear and like to bury their head in the sand while they insinuate we wrap our heads in tin foil. They like the Matrix and can never come out. Best thing to do is plant a seed, dust your sandals and move on. Maybe, it will peak someone's interest and they will do their own research. For most, they like the lie system, they like being lied to, it's like a big warm blanket.

There's a lot of truth in that.

I am too curious and at this point in my life too skeptical to accept things without questioning them.

ThrashZone 03-13-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28365898)
They can't differentiate between hype and reality. Just tell them to consume and be happy.

Hi,
You really don't understand the concept of help forums do you.

skupples 03-13-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28365396)

buy low, sell high. this is a great opportunity for people to grab some titans of the future stock. tesla's back down to 600, for now.

kinda seems like last night might've been the bottom though. most stuff is back up 10% at close, sharp jump after the presser.

they had to get him back out after that listlessness & exhausted oval address. that's basically how the last 3 years have gone.

up 10, down 5, trump presser, up 10, down 5, trump presser, rinse repeat, adjust sizes slightly.
Quote:

can't trust govt data. Can't trust China. Can't trust chinese govt data on pandemic they're now trying to say is USA's fault.

Saudi princes definitely thought it was a good time to mess with the world & US economy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28365870)
In Italy, they are either grossly under-reporting the number of infected, or the crisis level situation in the hospitals there is blown way out of proportion...

15,000 cases, with 80% being mild, means there are currently 3,000 cases nation wide that require hospitalization. My gut is telling me a first world nation of 57 million has the infrastructure to handle a sudden spike of 3,000 patients.

the Italy factor is definitely interesting. Makes me wonder about all that hype we always hear in regards to their healthcare systems.

JackCY 03-13-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Exactly, the US is more than welcome to clean up their ME wars mess that has caused endless people to flee on foot for decades. The major problem though is that Chinese ran out of quarantine, brag on web how they escaped, how the rich ones eat in France while infected, etc. The important measures such as ban international travel from source countries came way too long, the Chinese and other were already all over fleeing (the rich ones did, that's for sure), visiting stupid Italian festivals etc. China happily delaying measures and letting people move all over aka 100s of millions traveling for their major holiday in the middle of the outbreak, great idea, what could go wrong. Not that even they would be able to stop the people moving for that holiday over there, they would try and fail miserably. A lot of ppl visit Italy for skiing in winter from all over EU and elsewhere and of course measures come in effect too late to stop them and leave them there to not spread it further. Politicians do not want to take the necessary measures soon enough (to save their supposed good public image) and only react instead of being proactive and making measures in advance. Some SEA countries are better prepared for this because they've been dealing with, failing and testing their measures for multiple outbreaks in recent history over there already.

US hardly has the population density of EU, only some areas do (coastal and eastern), the rest are fairly empty space in comparison.

E3? Who cares about E3 anymore. All the events are being cancelled for around up to 6 months. No travel, border controls, schools closed, people taking vacation to stay home with kids because too scared to leave kids at home alone and to go to work, no big events or gatherings, most places where people would normally be in larger numbers are closed (libraries, museums, pools, gyms, ...).

Quote:

1. Shutting down everything, like what China did, and now Italy is trying to emulate
2. Tracking everyone with illness, tracing their movements finding more potential patients, followed by testing and treatment. South Korea is doing it.
3. Limited treatment and largely treating it as just another flu, which is Japanese method
#2 Is step 1 and is only viable for a limited number of infected people as tracking everyone that came in contact past around 100 ppl is near impossible for most countries due to the resources necessary.
That means they have to curb the spread by limiting social contact of people by shutting stuff down, aka large social places, schools and other, limiting borders and doing checks.
#3 What does that even mean. If someone can't breathe on their own, what? They get a limited treatment of hey here is a pump for you to pump yourself and here is a booster shot? Don't think so.
The healthcare systems have only so much capacity, human and material resources to treat a limited number of people, that's why the spreading speed has to be minimized. They can't put what ever % of population into an ICU in a week and keep them there for 2 weeks or more. It can only be done over a longer time period and not all so suddenly at once.

cssorkinman 03-13-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28366486)
buy low, sell high. this is a great opportunity for people to grab some titans of the future stock. tesla's back down to 600, for now.

kinda seems like last night might've been the bottom though. most stuff is back up 10% at close, sharp jump after the presser.

they had to get him back out after that listlessness & exhausted oval address. that's basically how the last 3 years have gone.

up 10, down 5, trump presser, up 10, down 5, trump presser, rinse repeat, adjust sizes slightly.

can't trust govt data. Can't trust China. Can't trust chinese govt data on pandemic they're now trying to say is USA's fault.

Saudi princes definitely thought it was a good time to mess with the world & US economy.

the Italy factor is definitely interesting. Makes me wonder about all that hype we always hear in regards to their healthcare systems.

My opinion is that it sure feels like dirty pool and an orchestrated event. Everyone is welcome to disagree .

Going to be pretty boring though after 2024 by comparison.

skupples 03-13-2020 06:26 PM

telling the truth would simply make it worse, so yes, most definitely not getting the entire story.

A Chinese official tried to say its a US scheme, yesterday. We brought it in during the NBA tour, or possibly brought in by soldiers.

funny enough, we were talking about how many the NBA bros brought it back with em. The time line just isn't right though, at least if we believe American infection JUST now started, with the deaths in Washington.

I'd be willing to bet there's certain conspiracy circles that think its an attack on globalism. Trying to punch China in the dick.

Darklyric 03-13-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28366656)
telling the truth would simply make it worse, so yes, most definitely not getting the entire story.

A Chinese official tried to say its a US scheme, yesterday. We brought it in during the NBA tour, or possibly brought in by soldiers.

funny enough, we were talking about how many the NBA bros brought it back with em. The time line just isn't right though, at least if we believe American infection JUST now started, with the deaths in Washington.

I'd be willing to bet there's certain conspiracy circles that think its an attack on globalism. Trying to punch China in the dick.

insinuating we aren't a large part of "global****" lol

airisom2 03-13-2020 07:52 PM

People are freaking out about this coronavirus. I'm freaking out about this damn pollen. Will be an interesting year to witness with all of these events being cancelled.

treetops422 03-14-2020 12:50 AM

I was alarmed seeing Neil Degrass? Tyson make a big deal out of it yesterday. However as others stated the reported amount of people who are actually infected. Even in Countries like AUS(200), where you can test for free. Is inssssanely low. 150,000 in the ENTIRE WORLD. 5k dead.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Everything else seems to be speculation. And as others probably heard it seems to have already peaked in China. And most importantly.

speed_demon 03-14-2020 05:12 AM

As it's been said quite frequently lately, the numbers we are seeing made public are not entirely reliable. All I will add is to use your head and avoid the news stream as best you can.

At the moment my biggest issue is that the grocery stores locally are sold out of nearly everything. People are now going so far as to raid the food banks that service impoverished neighborhoods. People are now sneaking two day old+ food out the back door faster than it is coming in. It's not the virus that has me concerned, it's how the large numbers of people around me are responding to news of the virus. That behavior is very much real and very much an imminent hazard.

ToTheSun! 03-14-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28367008)
As it's been said quite frequently lately, the numbers we are seeing made public are not entirely reliable. All I will add is to use your head and avoid the news stream as best you can.

At the moment my biggest issue is that the grocery stores locally are sold out of nearly everything. People are now going so far as to raid the food banks that service impoverished neighborhoods. People are now sneaking two day old+ food out the back door faster than it is coming in. It's not the virus that has me concerned, it's how the large numbers of people around me are responding to news of the virus. That behavior is very much real and very much an imminent hazard.

Stupid people will be stupid.

After a solid week of constant "OMG WE'RE DOOMED" 24/7 news, our biggest news outlet yesterday changed the tone and advised people to "be very careful, but remain calm." I'm like, damn, about time. Should have been like that from the beginning.

skupples 03-14-2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28366682)
insinuating we aren't a large part of "global****" lol

all I insinuated is what conspiracy theorists are probably discussing? relax. breath. everything's gonna be fine. you aren't gonna die. go take care of the old people in your life so they don't have to travel/interact during the outbreak.

also, whoever broke my 666 rep, i'm coming for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28367046)
Stupid people will be stupid.

After a solid week of constant "OMG WE'RE DOOMED" 24/7 news, our biggest news outlet yesterday changed the tone and advised people to "be very careful, but remain calm." I'm like, damn, about time. Should have been like that from the beginning.

blue cities are acting like the world us currently on fire. I wonder why? probably because november is right around the corner. The media doesn't care about your life. they care about your vote.

go check out the media archives of SARS outbreak in early 2004.

Italy is still reporting 7% death rate this morning, & APPLE is closing its stores for 2 weeks... maybe the market will keep going down after all :D :D :D

for those of you short on supplies - GO AT STORE OPEN. cleaning supplies might not get restocked every day, but food will. food gets stocked multiple times a day at most places.

DNMock 03-14-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367086)
blue cities are acting like the world us currently on fire. I wonder why? probably because november is right around the corner. The media doesn't care about your life. they care about your vote.

Trust me, it's not just blue cities that are full of freak out idiots. Suburban DFW is wiped out of toilet paper, meats, paper towel, cleaning supplies, etc. etc.

skupples 03-14-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28367106)
Trust me, it's not just blue cities that are full of freak out idiots. Suburban DFW is wiped out of toilet paper, meats, paper towel, cleaning supplies, etc. etc.

yeah, tp & cleaning supplies are gone here as well. We have a publix every 2 blocks though, and 3 coscos within 10 miles. likely means there's a few sams clubs in there too, & I didn't check everywhere. The lady at checkout told me to come back for a chance at TP/etc if needed. We re-upped on everything almost a month ago now in preparation for this madness.

side note, if you have aloe plants & high test rubbing alcohol... you can make home made sanitizer out of it that's quite potent.

there are two kinds of people in this world.

those who buy TP in bulk, and those who buy it 6 pack at a time.

Glad I get em in bulk.

let's start a bidet business!!!!

cssorkinman 03-14-2020 07:52 AM

Tragedy is opportunity - Vinnie Vulture.

skupples 03-14-2020 08:16 AM

buy low, sell high.

-3rd grade economics.

ToTheSun! 03-14-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367160)
buy low, sell high.

-3rd grade economics.

I refrain from doing that during catastrophes, lest people accuse me of starting them.

DNMock 03-14-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28367172)
I refrain from doing that during catastrophes, lest people accuse me of starting them.

Buying in during a stock collapse is the best thing you can do for yourself and for the economy. Helps stabilize the collapse and you profit from it long term. Win/Win

skupples 03-14-2020 08:31 AM

my version of buy low sell high is buy during insanity, and sell in 30 years/once wealthy on paper.

2020 is my first year of taking this seriously. so I appreciate Wuhan fear hype, tbf.

pick a random stock, rewind 10, 20, & 30 years. do math with $5,000K buy ins. lemme know if it seems as legit to you as it did to me. or just put it right on the index, n do rewind maths.

we'd all have little nest eggs if we would've only grabbed $5K worth of NV & AMD, both, 5-10 years ago.

cssorkinman 03-14-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367160)
buy low, sell high.

-3rd grade economics.

That sadly, was never taught where I went to school.

There should be a much greater focus in primary education on the subject in my opinion.

skupples 03-14-2020 08:37 AM

there's good news on that front.

many states are working on stripping away all the standard testing, re-instating civics, and including "life/business math" classes.

my high school only let non-college-bound students take the life math class. kinda funny. I'm lucky, old man has had an active CPA since the 70s so I grew up balancing checkbooks, etc. but i was never pushed to put money in, he's too conservative in that regard. He runs his funds, but nothing risky, ever ever ever. I tried to get them to buy NV/AMD in 2015, but they didn't listen. :(

cssorkinman 03-14-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367196)
there's good news on that front.

many states are working on stripping away all the standard testing, re-instating civics, and including "life/business math" classes.

my high school only let non-college-bound students take the life math class. kinda funny. I'm lucky, old man has had an active CPA since the 70s so I grew up balancing checkbooks, etc. but i was never pushed to put money in, he's too conservative in that regard. He runs his funds, but nothing risky, ever ever ever. I tried to get them to buy NV/AMD in 2015, but they didn't listen. :(

It would take a darn long time to count all the money I could have made. lol

Just the basic principals of compounding interest on investments or the effect of a quarter point of it on a 30 year mortgage would be a huge step in the right direction.

skupples 03-14-2020 08:54 AM

only one way to get started, and the window may have only just began to open.

pretty sure large industries are going to continue to announce (partial)closure. Like starbucks are likely going to shutter, or go to window service only, for the next 2-4 weeks. Gotta trim the slope, y'all~! trim the slope! being told to a general population that didn't even pass geometry. (I finished algebra and said no moar!:()

apple plans to shutter all store fronts.

i'm sure I'm missing some, and there are more to come.

speed_demon 03-14-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28367224)
It would take a darn long time to count all the money I could have made. lol

Just the basic principals of compounding interest on investments or the effect of a quarter point of it on a 30 year mortgage would be a huge step in the right direction.

My dad never finished high school. Became a carpenter and that's as far as his maths went.

To this day he is paying 380% interest on a payday store loan making only the minimum payments. He's probably given them a six figure amount by now on a $1400 "loan".

cssorkinman 03-14-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28367330)
My dad never finished high school. Became a carpenter and that's as far as his maths went.

To this day he is paying 380% interest on a payday store loan making only the minimum payments. He's probably given them a six figure amount by now on a $1400 "loan".

That's the sort of thing that shouldn't even be legal in my mind.

But , it happens so often.

skupples 03-14-2020 11:05 AM

y'all, amazon pantry is a week out on most food essentials, fyi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28367336)
That's the sort of thing that shouldn't even be legal in my mind.

But , it happens so often.

and many southern politicians are deeply invested in the practice of check cashing stores, so their predatory practices aren't going away any time soon.

i bet it was sold as a good thing originally too, now it enslaves communities hard on for a few hundred $.

cssorkinman 03-14-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367396)
y'all, amazon pantry is a week out on most food essentials, fyi.

and many southern politicians are deeply invested in the practice of check cashing stores, so their predatory practices aren't going away any time soon.

i bet it was sold as a good thing originally too, now it enslaves communities hard on for a few hundred $.

I'd say almost all politicians are culpable. The ties between banks, credit card companies etc and those who make the "rules" can't be ignored.

skupples 03-14-2020 11:25 AM

true, n its definitely systemic to everyone of "those" neighborhoods, just not in the south.

:D gotta love the internet. Seems the panic stricken haven't found their way to meat & food insurance deliveries. n preppers, the folks that usually utilize this niche, already have all they need.

Figure a 4 week 25 year bucket, and a freezer restock isn't a bad idea.

cssorkinman 03-14-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367420)
true, n its definitely systemic to everyone of "those" neighborhoods, just not in the south.

:D gotta love the internet. Seems the panic stricken haven't found their way to meat & food insurance deliveries. n preppers, the folks that usually utilize this niche, already have all they need.

Figure a 4 week 25 year bucket, and a freezer restock isn't a bad idea.

And the means to defend it ;)

skupples 03-14-2020 12:05 PM

i just hope my upload doesn't bottom out. it's getting hit hard atm. 1/4 of what its normally at. down is down only a 1/4, but 500 to 400 isn't a big deal, 100 to 25 means we kinda might bottom out soon. anywho, endless space 2 ftw :D

people are gonna get weird if the bandwidth gives out.

ToTheSun! 03-14-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28367184)
Buying in during a stock collapse is the best thing you can do for yourself and for the economy. Helps stabilize the collapse and you profit from it long term. Win/Win

I was actually making fun of the conspiracy theorists.

Diffident 03-14-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Italy is still reporting 7% death rate this morning, & APPLE is closing its stores for 2 weeks... maybe the market will keep going down after all :D :D :D

I think we already missed the bottom. All my stocks went up on friday. I have an ETF stock that gained $21 yesterday. I was trying to time it, I didn't want to buy too early...now I missed it.

Darklyric 03-15-2020 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

all I insinuated is what conspiracy theorists are probably discussing? relax. breath. everything's gonna be fine. you aren't gonna die. go take care of the old people in your life so they don't have to travel/interact during the outbreak.

also, whoever broke my 666 rep, i'm coming for you.

go check out the media archives of SARS outbreak in early 2004.

for those of you short on supplies - GO AT STORE OPEN. cleaning supplies might not get restocked every day, but food will. food gets stocked multiple times a day at most places.

Yeah mb tired eyes. I don't know if I trust its "only the boomer destroyer" they are trying to sell either though. Channel 4 had a decent video (cathy newman lol) on it the other day with an epidemiologist about infection rates ect of age group on the cruises.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28365398)

I mean its not really that similar when you look at it though. Covid R: 4-6 (smallpox), kill rate of 5% in Italy who's our best larger scale numbers atm. Flu is R:.x-1.2 kill rate varies but much under .2%. I don't really see the similarities.