Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [pcgamer] How the industry is reacting to E3's cancellation (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1743764-pcgamer-how-industry-reacting-e3s-cancellation.html)

Liranan 03-15-2020 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28366486)
can't trust govt data. Can't trust China. Can't trust chinese govt data on pandemic they're now trying to say is USA's fault.

The only government that can't be trusted is the US one, especially after the head of the CDC admitted that in August people had died of the corona virus but were classified as having died of the flu due to not caring to test for the virus. Then there's the fact that a military bio research lab closed at the same time of the outbreak starting and it's obvious that the virus either intentionally or unintentionally got out of the lab.

It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not as it wouldn't be the first time the US government have conducted such experiments on the population and scientists from Russia, India, Japan and Taiwan have accused the US government of having created the virus as the virus contains HIV RNA and was brought to China during the Wuhan World Army Games.

essanbee 03-15-2020 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liranan (Post 28368138)
The only government that can't be trusted is the US one, especially after the head of the CDC admitted that in August people had died of the corona virus but were classified as having died of the flu due to not caring to test for the virus. Then there's the fact that a military bio research lab closed at the same time of the outbreak starting and it's obvious that the virus either intentionally or unintentionally got out of the lab.

It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not as it wouldn't be the first time the US government have conducted such experiments on the population and scientists from Russia, India, Japan and Taiwan have accused the US government of having created the virus as the virus contains HIV RNA and was brought to China during the Wuhan World Army Games.

Can you backup any of those statements?

skupples 03-15-2020 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diffident (Post 28367546)
I think we already missed the bottom. All my stocks went up on friday. I have an ETF stock that gained $21 yesterday. I was trying to time it, I didn't want to buy too early...now I missed it.

only if it blows over the US. everything's shutting down for two weeks, that'll have its affect, even if its a blow over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28368102)
Yeah mb tired eyes. I don't know if I trust its "only the boomer destroyer" they are trying to sell either though. Channel 4 had a decent video (cathy newman lol) on it the other day with an epidemiologist about infection rates ect of age group on the cruises. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcJDpV-igjs

I mean its not really that similar when you look at it though. Covid R: 4-6 (smallpox), kill rate of 5% in Italy who's our best larger scale numbers atm. Flu is R:.x-1.2 kill rate varies but much under .2%. I don't really see the similarities.

yeah, saw that one earlier.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liranan (Post 28368138)

all I know is I'm damn near positive its been running thru florida since at least December.

I should revise that, as its clear as an American you shouldn't trust american data.

both of our governments are lying. always and forever. It would not surprise me for the Chinese to unleash something on itself during standard GOVT/MIL lab stuffs. It wouldn't surprise me that the US created it to help push along people growing new roots outside of China, due to the trade war. Seems like the spies of the 1,000 Talons program would've picked up on us doing this though, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28368156)

https://www.ibtimes.sg/us-military-b...han-2019-40911
it's the developing story in China as we speak. It started Thursday. Haven't found the clip of CDC bro admitting it's been around since August though. That clip with sp00ky music is nothing. of course local health has diagnosed it as flu. NO ONE EVER TESTS FOR FLU IN THE STATES UNLESS YOU'RE A KID, OR DYING, and our local health staff is run by certificate, & 2 year nursing staff that dropped outta high school cuz their BFs got em' pregnant. Doctors are completely apathetic to someone coming in with flu symptoms.

Funny thing is, the only conspiracy I've heard so far is the NBA players brought it back.

I mean, we all know the conspiracies about the uber elite convinced the world requires rapid depopulation.

so release a virus that kills grandma' and grandpa.

i've noticed a trend over the last 36 hours. The emails I've been getting are listing an earlier and earlier age as the most affected. At first it was 70+, now its the boomers.

EniGma1987 03-15-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Liranan is just repeating what his Chinese government told him happened.
Even though the story is mostly the opposite.

China already transferred their top biochemical general, Chen Wei, to be in charge of the Wuhan facility going forward. That general put out a statement basically saying it came from the Wuhan lab, and it was her job to make sure this type of accidental leak doesnt happen again. Despite all the conspiracy theories, an official statement from someone who knows quite a lot about the virus and this situation seems far more credible.

paulerxx 03-15-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hout17 (Post 28364478)
Things are just warming up we have equally as careless people in the United States.

Wash your hands people oh and it's not all about you think of the greater good!!

By the end of this, it will be far worse in the US than Europe/Italy. Quote me.

I live in NJ and work in NYC, not enough of people are taking this seriously.

Iridium31 03-16-2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulerxx (Post 28369212)

What would taking it seriously look like? It seems to me the appropriate response is to avoid people, if possible, and practice proper behaviours to avoid getting sick. Keep your hands away from your face as much as possible and wash them thoroughly and frequently after interacting with the common forms of exposure (touching objects in public places, interacting with people, etc.). So, all the things you would typically do to avoid getting sick from any other virus. It's not like there are a lot of actions you can take beyond this to protect yourself.

Pressing the panic button, fighting over toilet paper, running to the store to buy all the things, acting like the coronapocalaypse is upon us and/or going full on tinfoil hat mode is both stupid and counter-productive. People doing this stuff are among the acceptable 3%.

Not that the numbers accurately reflect reality because A, infection rates are likely under-reported and B, a person dying from a respiratory infection when they're very old and already have chonic respiratory/health problems isn't exactly shocking. This person would probably be up **** creek if they picked up any number of other viral infections.

I spoke to a source I'd consider reliable the other day (his job description is basically viral vaccine development) and his take was there is cause for concern and caution but not panic. The noteworthy tidbits he provided for this particular virus is it's surface protein structure is significantly different from typical Corona viruses, it appears to stick around for a long time, it's abnormally infectious (spreads readily) and, based on unconfirmed information, may be able to reinfect some people whom have already had it.

Most people should expect symptoms reminiscent of a cold or the flu (not exactly mind you, but it's an acceptable reference point for the general person). Ranging from mild to typical. Worst case you pick up Pnuemonia, either due to the virus or secondary infection because of it, and have to hit up the hospital for a short bit. If this worst case happens I'd be as concerned about visiting the hospital, which is a great way to get sick in and of itself, as the virus.

If you're very old, already have major health problems and/or minimal access to respectable healthcare then yeah, being highly concerned probably makes sense. Otherwise.... Going full on doomsday prepper... Nope. Granted, this isn't meant to be a slight against the preppers. In the event of the apocalypse they're one my first stops :).

treetops422 03-16-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

skupples 03-16-2020 07:09 AM

let's be more specific people.

small/medium corporate america (which most of us work for) is not taking this seriously enough.

still not official announcement on the catered to this emegency work from home policy, as i sit here imaging piles of laptops to the point of nearly breaking switches.

3/4 of the office is on laptops already, but that still leaves 100 or so, so I've been working towards getting every last mobile windows asset on hand imaged.

good times.

i'm more prepared than the board is. they have no clue how much smoother this is gonna go because of my foresight.

speed_demon 03-16-2020 07:28 AM

That's why some employees bring a ton of value to a company... and some don't.

I work for a small business and I'm effectively laid off since last week.

Mand12 03-16-2020 08:06 AM

Is there a reason this thread isn't locked, as a result of being filled with nothing but conspiracy-theory-driven right-wing propaganda, rather than a discussion about E3?

DNMock 03-16-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulerxx (Post 28369212)

Still gotta take into consideration the fact that Europe is a good 2 weeks ahead of the U.S. as far as the spread goes, and with summer coming soon, we might be saved from the worst of it just in time.

Remember, all those model predictions do not take into account the summer UV sanitization.

skupples 03-16-2020 10:47 AM

great news - the flu that was going around my office in December appears to have been Swine Flu. so that's where your "what happened to H1N1" went to :D

Dude that was sick enough to actually get tested finally got his results back today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28369650)
Is there a reason this thread isn't locked, as a result of being filled with nothing but conspiracy-theory-driven right-wing propaganda, rather than a discussion about E3?

you haven't paid very close attention if that's what you're seeing.
it's mostly people reflecting on their local situation, and what they're seeing on the news.

adjust feathers, stress is bad for your immune system.

Mand12 03-16-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28369860)
you haven't paid very close attention if that's what you're seeing.

I've seen you acting as one of the perpertrators, actually. Not surprising in the least that you don't view it as such, but that doesn't mean you're right.

ToTheSun! 03-16-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28369860)
great news - the flu that was going around my office in December appears to have been Swine Flu. so that's where your "what happened to H1N1" went to :D

Wow! It's not even thursday yet.

Buris 03-16-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28364472)
yeah... I have a feeling those claiming the US and canada will get hit just like the EU are wrong. Cuz we didn't have scores of infected fleeing into our states, like they did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashura (Post 28364388)
Corona Virus is just an excuse.

These posts aged like diarrhea. (which COVID-19 doesn't cause!)-

I know here in my state we're basically closed. whole state. Closed.

Darklyric 03-16-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28369650)

Care to dispute any of this "right wing propaganda"?

You realize all us media was basically at nothingburger just a flu bra status a month ago... No wonder people went in all sorts of directions and clung, cling to theories that have somewhat been true.

Remember the surgeon general saying a mask wont do anything for you on twitter lol...

Diffident 03-16-2020 02:24 PM

It seems to me the world is in full retard mode. I went to the store today and all I got was a gallon of milk, a box of Shredded Wheat cereal (the only cereal left), and a couple boxes of macaroni and cheese...Cause there was nothing else. No meat, no frozen foods, no pasta and no bread. Everyone's freaking out over a dry cough. What's everyone going to do next winter? Do people not think it's going to be back.

cssorkinman 03-16-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diffident (Post 28370192)
It seems to me the world is in full retard mode. I went to the store today and all I got was a gallon of milk, a box of Shredded Wheat cereal (the only cereal left), and a couple boxes of macaroni and cheese...Cause there was nothing else. No meat, no frozen foods, no pasta and no bread. Everyone's freaking out over a dry cough. What's everyone going to do next winter? Do people not think it's going to be back.

Hopefully they will have a vaccine for it by then, but your point about it being here next winter is certainly valid.

Schmuckley 03-16-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28364490)
I'm ashamed to say some people in my country have actually gathered to participate in corona themed parties.

It's already reached my town, and it's not just the virus that's to blame.

I've already made peace with the fact that I will eventually catch the thing, and I'm pretty confident I'm going to be able to do well, considering I'm young and very healthy. But it pains me to see people being this stupid.

Do they make kegs of Corona? :eek:

Limes everywhere? Does tequila ever enter the equation?

treetops422 03-16-2020 05:29 PM

Less then .01% of the worlds population has so far reported being infected. Simmer down neow?

Redwoodz 03-16-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treetops422 (Post 28370426)
Less then .01% of the worlds population has so far reported being infected. Simmer down neow?

Bro, whatever the reason I am now told to shelter in place, all non-essential industries are shut-down. This is in Silicon Valley. The stock market fell 3,000 points today. E3? Seriously?

skupples 03-16-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28369914)
I've seen you acting as one of the perpertrators, actually. Not surprising in the least that you don't view it as such, but that doesn't mean you're right.

i uhh... the closest thing to conspiracy I've linked to is the statement the Chinese official made. We did speculate on what Alex Jones (and theorists as a whole) is probably talking about.

I suppose you could be one of those that considers all the official data part of the conspiracy, as much of that has been posted as well.

I keep hoping what was here in December wasn't just Swine flu, but that's just my brain doing things to keep itself together :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buris (Post 28370066)
These posts aged like diarrhea. (which COVID-19 doesn't cause!)-

I know here in my state we're basically closed. whole state. Closed.

yeaaaap. sure did. sux. hoped it wasn't gonna be epic, but it's seems its gonna be epic, & so far, Florida is moving like a slug to deal with it. The only corporate response we've gotten so far aside from "we told the clients BUSINESS IS A'RUNNIN'!" with lots of CDC data attached about covid safety & hand sanitizing stations.

oh, and a notice the gym is closed.

glad I started prepping the laptop fleet early last week.

all the old white dudes that own & use this business to print money are at the most risk, n they're still driving their fancy cars to work every day like, "gotta print dat money!" it'll take LEO or a loved one dying to change that.

Mand12 03-17-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28367086)
blue cities are acting like the world us currently on fire. I wonder why? probably because november is right around the corner. The media doesn't care about your life. they care about your vote.

This is what I was referring to, and also the "can't trust gov't data" line.

The idea that the response of cities, states, and the media is just a hatchet job for the election is offensive beyond belief. Have you seen the estimate that it might be as bad as two million dead in the US, if extreme action isn't taken?

speed_demon 03-17-2020 07:28 AM

I mean people are genuinely losing their lives at the present time. Can always take a moment to be respectful for those that didn't make it.

ThrashZone 03-17-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28371120)

The idea that the response of cities, states, and the media is just a hatchet job for the election is offensive beyond belief. Have you seen the estimate that it might be as bad as two million dead in the US, if extreme action isn't taken?

Hi,
If you listen to far left media yes it is exaggerated beyond belief for actions taken so far

Not sure anyone in charge would do any better but they always say they could over and over.....
But prior facts contradict them every time N1H1 1k dead before any emergency action was taken /...... just look prior pandemics up not many peeps as now what's changed :thinking:

cssorkinman 03-17-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28371130)
I mean people are genuinely losing their lives at the present time. Can always take a moment to be respectful for those that didn't make it.

Sad indeed and I honestly feel for them.

Have to be realistic about things too though - If you use population vs deaths in Hubei China it's about 3200 deaths per 60 million people over a period of about a month. US population is about 327 million - all things being equal ( of course they aren't ) mathematically, you'd expect less than 20,000 deaths from corona over the same period of time. For perspective almost 8000 Americans die every day ( all causes).

Thrash Zone's post has a lot of truth to it.

Sorry you are being impacted so greatly Redwoodz

Mand12 03-17-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashZone (Post 28371152)
Hi,
If you listen to far left media yes it is exaggerated beyond belief for actions taken so far

Not sure anyone in charge would do any better but they always say they could over and over.....
But prior facts contradict them every time N1H1 1k dead before any emergency action was taken /...... just look prior pandemics up not many peeps as now what's changed :thinking:

You don't have to be a consumer of "far left media" (I'm not one of them, for the record) in order to recognize the truth when health professionals say it.

ThrashZone 03-17-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28371192)
You don't have to be a consumer of "far left media" (I'm not one of them, for the record) in order to recognize the truth when health professionals say it.

Hi,
Yes those are the people that we should be listening too
But there are all sort of "so called professionals" just spreading panic like other over the cliff views of climate change/.....

Nobody can snap their fingers and say all is well and it's done and if anyone says there is or someone can is just wrong.

hout17 03-17-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28371168)
Sad indeed and I honestly feel for them.

Have to be realistic about things too though - If you use population vs deaths in Hubei China it's about 3200 deaths per 60 million people over a period of about a month. US population is about 327 million - all things being equal ( of course they aren't ) mathematically, you'd expect less than 20,000 deaths from corona over the same period of time. For perspective almost 8000 Americans die every day ( all causes).

Thrash Zone's post has a lot of truth to it.

Sorry you are being impacted so greatly Redwoodz

This is what we could be looking at potentially.

April 2009 to April 2010 CDC estimates 60.8 million infected and 12,469 deaths from H1N1. That comes out to a mortality rate of .02%.

The current COVID-19 virus has a 3.4% mortality rate with the current data. Let's say 60.8 million were infected with covid-19. That would bring the death total to 2,067,200.

H1N1 Math Mortality Rate: 12,469 / 60,800,000 = .0002 x 100 = .02%

COVID-19 Math Potential Deaths: .034 x 60,800,000 = 2,067,200

I'm not trying to be alarmist but I would rather react aggressively instead of talking about what we should've done. The flu has a .1% death rate and I believe the 2018-2019 flu season had 35.5 million infected and around 34000 deaths according to the CDC.

There is a reason the government's around the world are taking extreme measures.

I hope we come through this with flying colors and it's not as bad as it could be. Stay safe everybody and think of the greater good.

cssorkinman 03-17-2020 09:39 AM

I'd be very surprised if the death rate isn't terrifically skewed due to the number of cases not diagnosed.

Seems like it's controllable , China is already shutting down the hospitals it built for corona for lack of new cases.

hout17 03-17-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28371264)
I'd be very surprised if the death rate isn't terrifically skewed due to the number of cases not diagnosed.

Seems like it's controllable , China is already shutting down the hospitals it built for corona for lack of new cases.

I agree and I hope that's the case. There are definitely more cases in the U.S. than reported just from what I've seen from availability of tests here in Colorado. Decisions have to be made on the best data available at the time.

Edit: I would say that it is controllable as long as everybody follows the guidelines and listens. China went on lockdown for a while too.

cssorkinman 03-17-2020 09:59 AM

FWIW I can't help but feel like we are a bunch of virgins sitting around talking about sex.

speed_demon 03-17-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28371264)

I would be cautious of immediately accepting any sort of information coming out of China at the moment. I know of at least one person stuck there that is saying there is quite a bit of censorship being put into place and that news organizations are not entirely honest; and of course more so now than is typical.

That's not to say my comment should be taken as fearful. Just gotta think with your own head about things. Don't accept what is being discussed immediately as fact, but don't ignore it either. Gotta find a middle ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28371288)
FWIW I can't help but feel like we are a bunch of virgins sitting around talking about sex.

Same here.

Wonder what it's gonna be like. Haha.

Getting the virus, I mean. Not the poon tang.

cssorkinman 03-17-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28371316)
I would be cautious of immediately accepting any sort of information coming out of China at the moment. I know of at least one person stuck there that is saying there is quite a bit of censorship being put into place and that news organizations are not entirely honest; and of course more so now than is typical.

That's not to say my comment should be taken as fearful. Just gotta think with your own head about things. Don't accept what is being discussed immediately as fact, but don't ignore it either. Gotta find a middle ground.

Same here.

Wonder what it's gonna be like. Haha.

Getting the virus, I mean. Not the poon tang.

At my age, sex has the higher death rate ;)

DNMock 03-17-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28371316)

Considering China is kicking U.S. journalists out, I have a strong feeling it's getting harder for them to hide the fact that they didn't actually stop the spread of it like they claim to have done.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/china-...d-coronavirus/

Schmuckley 03-17-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EniGma1987 (Post 28364670)
Isnt the virus spread by coughing and sneezing and can only bind to something in a persons lungs? Washing your hands wouldnt really stop that

Having it on your hands and picking your nose would increase your chances of contraction. :D

Schmuckley 03-17-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28371326)
At my age, sex has the higher death rate ;)

I LOL'ed. :lachen:

cssorkinman 03-17-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmuckley (Post 28371470)
I LOL'ed. :lachen:

Thank goodness I'm not exposed to the threat very often. lol

speed_demon 03-17-2020 01:14 PM

Gotta keep an eye on your health after all. ;)

Falkentyne 03-17-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmuckley (Post 28371466)
Having it on your hands and picking your nose would increase your chances of contraction. :D

Someone on my wechat said it's getting lower in the earlier reported places but spreading now in areas that didn't have it much before. At least that if I understood him directly. I only have a few Chinese friends there.

skupples 03-17-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28371120)

yep, I saw the new data, 2m is on the conservative side of "what could happen" which I assume is what caused the white house to become much more serious in tone over the last 48-72 hours.

yep, extreme denial, I was in... though I still prepped at home, and for 50 end users @ work.

still, the initial response was heavily political. (media matters putting up the message to blast this as trump's katrina, for example) and if you can't admit the media would love to see this ruin trump, and that they're completely willing in assisting in causing the panic to make that happen, then you're in denial about how far gone the current system is. they've already had to issue a couple retractions that were on the side of stoking the flames of panic.

n you can't trust govt data. its a good guideline, in the best of situations. At worst, complete disinformation.

assuming you aren't high risk, when was the last time you were tested for flu while sick as hell @ the doctor? kinda hard to create accurate averages and statistics when the pool of info is incomplete/inaccurate due to health care providers being apathetic about testing for flu in the general population. this isn't conspiracy, this is observation of life. medical professionals, up until this, were apathetic at best, in responding to flu patients. N that doesn't even cover what they can do, IF they decide to test/treat for it. thera/tama are garbage products, that almost always make you sicker. They're very rarely, if ever used, unless you're already high risk. (example, my mid 50s, morbidly obese boss got it when he was violently ill with whatever's circling Manatee county right now, last week)

notice the rash of swine flu being confirmed over the last couple weeks? we wouldn'a never heard a peep about that without all the covid testing.

aside from that - its up to us at this point. Do what I did today. If there's only 6 tubs of butt wipes left, only take 2 for your family of 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28371482)
Gotta keep an eye on your health after all. ;)

i figure just add a zero to every Chinese figure given.

general prediction at this point seems 60-70% of the world will experience this over the next 3 months.

cssorkinman 03-17-2020 06:40 PM

When speaking know your audience, when listening consider the source.

Mand12 03-18-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28371688)
still, the initial response was heavily political. (media matters putting up the message to blast this as trump's katrina, for example) and if you can't admit the media would love to see this ruin trump, and that they're completely willing in assisting in causing the panic to make that happen, then you're in denial about how far gone the current system is. they've already had to issue a couple retractions that were on the side of stoking the flames of panic.

Yes, the initial response was heavily political - on the part of the Trump administration, which incessantly downplayed and denied the threat for the express purpose of keeping their poll numbers up, and which is now trying to rewrite that history to insist that they knew it was serious all along (which is even worse, since it means that they knew it was serious and STILL told people it was a hoax and they should do nothing).

Meanwhile, the media was actively reporting accurate, factual information both from what was happening on the ground throughout the world as well as information from real, expert epidemiologists who accurately assessed the threat and conveyed very real concerns that have now become easily observable as being quite true.

Your insistence of a conspiracy theory on the part of the media to make Trump look bad is quite irrelevant: he does a fine job of that all by himself.

The media was reporting on reality, with the exception of Fox who told people (and is still telling people) nothing is wrong.

Trump's actions will cost many American lives. That fact being reported negatively by the media is entirely appropriate.

cssorkinman 03-18-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28372784)
Yes, the initial response was heavily political - on the part of the Trump administration, which incessantly downplayed and denied the threat for the express purpose of keeping their poll numbers up, and which is now trying to rewrite that history to insist that they knew it was serious all along (which is even worse, since it means that they knew it was serious and STILL told people it was a hoax and they should do nothing).

Meanwhile, the media was actively reporting accurate, factual information both from what was happening on the ground throughout the world as well as information from real, expert epidemiologists who accurately assessed the threat and conveyed very real concerns that have now become easily observable as being quite true.

Your insistence of a conspiracy theory on the part of the media to make Trump look bad is quite irrelevant: he does a fine job of that all by himself.

The media was reporting on reality, with the exception of Fox who told people (and is still telling people) nothing is wrong.

Trump's actions will cost many American lives. That fact being reported negatively by the media is entirely appropriate.

If you could take a objective look at what past leaders have done in similar circumstances and then make a comparison it might change your perspective.

speed_demon 03-18-2020 11:11 AM

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Mand12 03-18-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28372806)
If you could take a objective look at what past leaders have done in similar circumstances and then make a comparison it might change your perspective.

The only similar circumstance is 1918. It's a bit out of date.

speed_demon 03-18-2020 11:57 AM

What about the Spanish Flu of 1910. Lots of parallels there.

cssorkinman 03-18-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28372830)
The only similar circumstance is 1918. It's a bit out of date.

Because corona virus has killed 17 million people? - Don't you suppose that swine flu would be a more appropriate comparison ?

Darklyric 03-18-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Meh this pretty much happens with every outbreak, it just so happens this virus is more capable. I've been following since the beginning and the lefty stuff was just as bad in February. I'd go as far to say that we would still have flights coming from china if admins were different, not that praising the market is much better. Not defending fox, but weren't cnn msnbc ect all saying like a week or two ago that mask weren't necessary and or wouldn't do anything? -blatant lie that can get people killed right there.

essanbee 03-18-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28371192)

Quote:

Your 2nd post shows your 1st was a lie...

skupples 03-18-2020 04:39 PM

well, someone's hyping the conservatives, deisel bros keep filling the beds of their tiny penis big wheel trucks with all the TP.

randomizer 03-18-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28373158)
Not defending fox, but weren't cnn msnbc ect all saying like a week or two ago that mask weren't necessary and or wouldn't do anything? -blatant lie that can get people killed right there.

They're just reporting (though perhaps also misinterpreting) the recommendations from health authorities. The CDC doesn't recommend masks either unless you're infected. They don't recommend not wearing masks though. The WHO goes a bit further and says that masks are a waste unless you are already infected.

Mand12 03-19-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28373194)
Your 2nd post shows your 1st was a lie...

I suppose if your definition of "far left media" is anyone but Fox, Drudge, and Limbaugh, then sure. Those of us in the real world know better.

cssorkinman 03-19-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28373722)
I suppose if your definition of "far left media" is anyone but Fox, Drudge, and Limbaugh, then sure. Those of us in the real world know better.

It's quite easy to be right about everything when you refuse to acknowledge anything that challenges that notion.

You've dodged any opportunity to see any reality other than the one you have comfortably manufactured for yourself.

speed_demon 03-19-2020 08:53 AM

You tell em.

Quote:

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory.

Thomas Jefferson

Mand12 03-19-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28373758)
It's quite easy to be right about everything when you refuse to acknowledge anything that challenges that notion.

You've dodged any opportunity to see any reality other than the one you have comfortably manufactured for yourself.

I have manufactured nothing, only observed. The world of manufactured realities and alternative facts is not one I inhabit.

cssorkinman 03-19-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28373954)
I have manufactured nothing, only observed. The world of manufactured realities and alternative facts is not one I inhabit.

If you saw someone chose not to make a reasonable comparison of similar recent events because they knew it would weaken their position on a subject - What would you be left to think?

Choosing to ignore everything that challenges your position = manufacturing your own reality.

skupples 03-19-2020 03:07 PM

and the sky is purple.

it's ok though. it's just a symptom of a much larger issue of a diseased society, too ignorant to realize they've been driven apart into two distinct groups of people by warring conglomerates.

keep consuming social media 8+ hours a day. tests show its GREAT for brain health. Right next to endlessly watching cable news. It grows the biggest of brains.

some day, these people will realize Fox & CNN (and the sources that retell what they put up) actually have similar goals. they just go about it in different ways.

neither of them actually care about your or your family's safety. only your votes and dollars.

essanbee 03-19-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mand12 (Post 28373722)

My point was, you claimed to not consume it, but you sure can spout it; verbatim. Maybe that paragon of integrity Don Lemon needs an assistant. Probably pretty good bucks in it.

treetops422 03-19-2020 09:05 PM

If you're born into a country that has majority xx religion you will likely be xx religion. And if your born in a state that has mostly xx partys ads, etc etc. Our poor little monkey brains....

Don't blame me I voted for Kodos. Just go to the CDC website and try to ignore the politicians.

Darklyric 03-20-2020 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomizer (Post 28373366)
They're just reporting (though perhaps also misinterpreting) the recommendations from health authorities. The CDC doesn't recommend masks either unless you're infected. They don't recommend not wearing masks though. The WHO goes a bit further and says that masks are a waste unless you are already infected.

They are only saying that so they can stockpile. Cdc's website has a breakdown on which mask do what and proper usage. Anything is realistically better then nothing, as it could lower the viral load. The entire purpose of a mask is to preventative.

skupples 03-20-2020 05:17 AM

yeaaah... now that the CDC site has more than one page with 3 sentences and 3 symptoms listed

CNN / MSNBC went back on their statements about "not needing to wear masks" (i bet sean did it too)

i think it was a poor attempt to try to slow the panic.

I've been wearing gloves & mask @ work all week, since I've been touching dozens of people's PCs. I'm using the CSC guys to do the end point delivery & setup though :D

they failed.

BulletSponge 03-20-2020 06:53 AM

I've been taking my dad to the hospital every day this week for chemo and while we don't have any confirmed or reported cases in the Permian Basin yet there has been a major change at the hospital in the last 48 hours. Monday-Wednesday it was all normal but when we went yesterday all of the chairs in the waiting rooms had been spread out and there were hospital employees non stop wiping down every surface and chair as soon as patients were called back for treatment. Oops, my mothers home nurse just said that there are a pair of confirmed cases in Crane, Tx. I go back to work Monday after 8 weeks of Family Medical Leave and am regretting ever taking a job with the health department.

Rei86 03-20-2020 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28364962)
We are gonna get smashed here in the U.S. but not quite as bad as in Europe. The outbreak there had a good 2 week jump on us in the Americas and we are getting close to the summer sun's UV radiation to begin it's disinfection process. Now if there is no vaccine (don't think there will be) by the beginning of next winter, that's when things are gonna get interesting.

The real body count from Covid-19 is gonna be from the global recession it's causing and broken global supply chains.

COVID 19 is a closer strain to MERS than SARS. The warmth isn't gonna effect it, we've already learned it can live on metal surfaces for days (two or four if I remember right) waiting for a host.

We're just ramping up to the peak. This won't be going away till late summer IMO.

EDIT: MERS.. not MARS

ThrashZone 03-20-2020 07:08 AM

Hi,
Looks like malaria meds work okay on corona...

skupples 03-20-2020 07:47 AM

creepy fact though

considering what else is done with that stuff

Ashura 03-20-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulletSponge (Post 28374970)
I've been taking my dad to the hospital every day this week for chemo and while we don't have any confirmed or reported cases in the Permian Basin yet there has been a major change at the hospital in the last 48 hours. Monday-Wednesday it was all normal but when we went yesterday all of the chairs in the waiting rooms had been spread out and there were hospital employees non stop wiping down every surface and chair as soon as patients were called back for treatment. Oops, my mothers home nurse just said that there are a pair of confirmed cases in Crane, Tx. I go back to work Monday after 8 weeks of Family Medical Leave and am regretting ever taking a job with the health department.

I've been there, you just have to take extra extra precautions with your dad, chemo just sucks. It's a good thing that your hospital is taking it seriously & Disinfecting the premises.

Best wishes man. Take care :cheers:

Darklyric 03-20-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrashZone (Post 28374978)
Hi,
Looks like malaria meds work okay on corona...

You do not want to take that drug unless you're on deaths door.

DNMock 03-20-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rei86 (Post 28374976)
COVID 19 is a closer strain to MERS than SARS. The warmth isn't gonna effect it, we've already learned it can live on metal surfaces for days (two or four if I remember right) waiting for a host.

We're just ramping up to the peak. This won't be going away till late summer IMO.

EDIT: MERS.. not MARS

Heat no. U/V radiation will sanitize though, and people in general not being cooped up in doors together breathing recycled air rather than fresh air will definitely reduce the spread though.

Rei86 03-20-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28375116)
Heat no. U/V radiation will sanitize though, and people in general not being cooped up in doors together breathing recycled air rather than fresh air will definitely reduce the spread though.

We have college students in FL celebrating Spring Break right now...
FL won't be closing the beaches and bars till the end of this weekend, we had people in NY still clubbing till the government came down on them this week.

Not trying to fear monger, just don't see things being normal till after the summer.

DNMock 03-20-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rei86 (Post 28375304)
We have college students in FL celebrating Spring Break right now...
FL won't be closing the beaches and bars till the end of this weekend, we had people in NY still clubbing till the government came down on them this week.

Not trying to fear monger, just don't see things being normal till after the summer.

Oh yeah, it's not gonna go back to normal over summer, that's for sure, I'm just saying (hoping) that it will help slow it down.

skupples 03-20-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28375084)
You do not want to take that drug unless you're on deaths door.

for real.

them using that medication creeps me the flip out. It's rarely used for anything good, at least, when the govt is involved.

at least, assuming its the same malaria drug they use to wipe memories.

Darklyric 03-20-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28375368)
for real.

them using that medication creeps me the flip out. It's rarely used for anything good, at least, when the govt is involved.

at least, assuming its the same malaria drug they use to wipe memories.

I didn't see that anywhere, but nothing gov related surprises me anymore. I was talking about the chance of going deaf and or blind.

Diffident 03-20-2020 02:50 PM

I just want baseball and the stanley cup playoffs to start. This isn't going away. It would be one thing if it was isolated to one region but this isn't getting put back in the bottle. The current policy isn't going to kill the virus....it's going to do a good job at killing small business. No one realizes how many die from the flu every year. Without daily death reports, in a year no one will realize how many die from this either.

skupples 03-20-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28375382)
I didn't see that anywhere, but nothing gov related surprises me anymore. I was talking about the chance of going deaf and or blind.

yeah, antimalarial medications are utilized in GITMO during the interrogation process. At least, during the height of that insanity. I'd assume not much has changed. just a different puppet. only benefit is our current puppet loves closing borders.

BulletSponge 03-20-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28375382)

It's regularly used for Lupus so unless they go guinea pig patient crazy on administering it the patient should be okay

ToTheSun! 03-20-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diffident (Post 28375384)
I just want baseball and the stanley cup playoffs to start. This isn't going away. It would be one thing if it was isolated to one region but this isn't getting put back in the bottle. The current policy isn't going to kill the virus....it's going to do a good job at killing small business. No one realizes how many die from the flu every year. Without daily death reports, in a year no one will realize how many die from this either.

In Italy, by January, officials reported 2 million cases of the common flu, 240 of which resulted in death. COVID19 is 47021/4032 right now.

I'm pretty sure the new coronavirus is wreaking a bit more havoc. But, by all means, go lick some doorknobs.

speed_demon 03-20-2020 04:52 PM

124 Attachment(s)
Holy crap that's nearly 10%.

skupples 03-20-2020 05:16 PM

america is following similar numbers on reported cases, still.

with ~20% of icu cases being 21-44

all while the younger gens get chased from one beach to another.

second wave starts when they get home.

shame, if you let your kids come down to florida during this. they aren't our problem. they can rot on the streets, we really don't care. hardrock will sell you a room for $500 night though!

essanbee 03-20-2020 05:37 PM

Until everyone is tested, number speculation is just that, speculation. Bet it's not 10% mort rate either. If you don't know the numerator how can you math?

skupples 03-20-2020 05:39 PM

what's being shown, is of the known cases, ~10 on avg are dying. known cases = reported & monitored. buddy of mine who went thru Sacramento, and NY 10 days ago is now sick. has not reported. has similar symptoms to what most of the team experienced in february. Dude should get tested, but wont, unless he starts to die.

we don't know how many people are actually sick... that combined with china being china = why I was saying "china's lying, you can add at least one zero to every stat they give" in the beginning.

so its much lower, but still brutal.

speed_demon 03-20-2020 05:44 PM

Even if the death rate ends up being 2% that's still an awful lot of people passing away from this thing.

ToTheSun! 03-20-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28375672)
Until everyone is tested, number speculation is just that, speculation. Bet it's not 10% mort rate either. If you don't know the numerator how can you math?

Of course it's not 10%. Studies show 50-75% infected are asymptomatic (and, as such, most go unreported). But that's still a much higher mortality rate than the common flu, and Italy has never experienced anything like they are now. It's not a coincidence. Countries don't willingly plunge themselves into shared recessions for diseases no more worrisome than the common flu.

Another important aspect of COVID-19 is that the hospitalization rate is also much higher.

Diffident 03-20-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28375588)
In Italy, by January, officials reported 2 million cases of the common flu, 240 of which resulted in death. COVID19 is 47021/4032 right now.

I'm pretty sure the new coronavirus is wreaking a bit more havoc. But, by all means, go lick some doorknobs.

In US 14,000 flu deaths this season, 250 to corona.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28375686)
Even if the death rate ends up being 2% that's still an awful lot of people passing away from this thing.

If you had cancer and the doctor told you, you had 98% chance of recovery you'd feel pretty good.

randomizer 03-20-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulletSponge (Post 28375480)
It's regularly used for Lupus so unless they go guinea pig patient crazy on administering it the patient should be okay

Yeah, it's a safe drug even for long term usage. It has possible side effects like any medication and macular degeneration is one of them, but that is an easy condition to monitor for. If you want to mess people up with antimalarials you should try mefloquine instead. I'm not someone who typically recalls having dreams but I sure did during the two weeks I took that stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28375686)

I don't get the focus on mortality rate. I don't want to end up in an ICU whether I live or not. I don't even want to get influenza-like symptoms. Influenza is horrible!

randomizer 03-20-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diffident (Post 28375796)

Influenza everywhere and has had orders of magnitude more cases so of course it has had more deaths. COVID-19 hasn't spread through the whole population yet. Once this outbreak is over we'll be able to do a better comparison, but even then it won't be truly fair as the population has some herd immunity to influenza.

ToTheSun! 03-20-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

In US 14,000 flu deaths this season, 250 to corona

I honestly have no response for that. The comparison is so bad, it is its own counter argument.

Quote:

If you had cancer and the doctor told you, you had 98% chance of recovery you'd feel pretty good.

Not if it were the common flu, considering survival rate in the US was around 99,93% last year.

But it is true cancer has much higher mortality rates than COVID-19. Good thing you can't catch it anywhere near as easily as a coronavirus.

junglechocolate 03-20-2020 11:02 PM

I haven't seen any game trailers. Where are the game trailers and demos? YOu don't need people to make and show trailers with the power of the internet

Molitro 03-21-2020 02:12 AM

Quote:

Good thing you can't catch cancer from the asymptomatic guy next to you.

There's a few worrisomely silly things being said here, I must say.

BTW, spanish guy here, where is gonna hit harder than Italy (cause people are morons), just with a week of delay. No, it's not gonna be the end of the world. Yes, it's gonna colapse the healthcare system (it already is, and we're still at the start of the ramp up, the next 10 days are gonna be pretty brutal), and yes, it's gonna kill, in all likelyhood, at least a few tens of thousand, mostly elderly.

This is no joke, even though it's far from a "civilitation threatening" kind of thing. But it's gonna wreak havoc on both the elderly, and all our economies for a good few months.

Darklyric 03-21-2020 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomizer (Post 28375806)
Yeah, it's a safe drug even for long term usage. It has possible side effects like any medication and macular degeneration is one of them, but that is an easy condition to monitor for. If you want to mess people up with antimalarials you should try mefloquine instead. I'm not someone who typically recalls having dreams but I sure did during the two weeks I took that stuff.

I'll personally pass. The risk reward doesn't seem worth it with that one but it does have its uses. There's other treatments that have less side effects but are a little less effective as well. I wouldn't mind seeing some more info on that remdimsophere or however you spell it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitro (Post 28375972)
Good thing you can't catch cancer from the asymptomatic guy next to you.

There's a few worrisomely silly things being said here, I must say.

BTW, spanish guy here, where is gonna hit harder than Italy (cause people are morons), just with a week of delay. No, it's not gonna be the end of the world. Yes, it's gonna colapse the healthcare system (it already is, and we're still at the start of the ramp up, the next 10 days are gonna be pretty brutal), and yes, it's gonna kill, in all likelyhood, at least a few tens of thousand, mostly elderly.

This is no joke, even though it's far from a "civilitation threatening" kind of thing. But it's gonna wreak havoc on both the elderly, and all our economies for a good few months.

Gl man try to not be part of the first wave. Hopefully people aren't as stupid as vid related.

skupples 03-21-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

give it a year?

do you really not understand why people are concerned, or are you just super edgy too legit mode, n clearly its just a grand international conspiracy.

Even if that New Jersey story has lots of caviats, like them all being incredibly unhealthy chain smoking drunken obese people, it's still freaky.

its kinda like many of us have loved elders, and our main concern is them. My old man likened it to being back in the 60s n 70s when everyone old always died of "complications"

DNMock 03-21-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28375594)
Holy crap that's nearly 10%.

Yes, but keep in mind that 99% (actual statistic, not a guesstimate) of the fatalities there are among people 80+ in age and/or with previously existing health complications. So it seems like as long as you don't fall into one of those two categories, the mortality rate is .2%.

The elderly there are contracting the virus (or have been at least) due to 1) Italy having the 2nd oldest population in the world so lots of elderly folks, and 2) A lot of cross generational interaction like large family gatherings and such which allowed the virus to spread from the more mobile youth to their grandparents.

skupples 03-21-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28376046)
I'll personally pass. The risk reward doesn't seem worth it with that one but it does have its uses. There's other treatments that have less side effects but are a little less effective as well. I wouldn't mind seeing some more info on that remdimsophere or however you spell it.

Gl man try to not be part of the first wave. Hopefully people aren't as stupid as vid related.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lULceASXv88

hey man, gotta keep the warm fuzzy feel good signaling going thru thick and thin!

speed_demon 03-21-2020 06:42 AM

I mean... I have questions. Lots of questions. And they aren't going to be answered any time soon.

Like how close to base reality are we? And is there any way to scientifically prove we weren't seeded by flesh and blood beings existing in our own universe?

Ahh sorry I take things off topic too readily.

But in following with the thread - How much are we to trust these government numbers? Knowing that governments world wide have a horrendous track record at being upfront & honest for serious life-and-death type issues.

skupples 03-21-2020 08:02 AM

figure add a zero to most #s given, aside from %s.

harder to hide deaths in America though, so that is likely more accurate than china's #s. Seems that would be harder to hide in Italy & Spain as well. harder to hide in nations where you can easily access genuine www

DNMock 03-21-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28376136)
But in following with the thread - How much are we to trust these government numbers? Knowing that governments world wide have a horrendous track record at being upfront & honest for serious life-and-death type issues.

Depends on how much they stand to lose. At the moment, here in the U.S. at the federal level they finally don't have much reason to downplay the spread, but state and local authorities absolutely do. In my county of Rockwall in Texas, we have zero reported cases of COVID-19, however, after speaking with several doctors and nurses at the local hospitals, there are several patients who have tested positive and been getting treated for over a week now, but local officials have put a gag order on them to not publicly release that information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28376206)

harder to hide deaths in America though, so that is likely more accurate than china's #s. Seems that would be harder to hide in Italy & Spain as well. harder to hide in nations where you can easily access genuine www

What he said. Once there are fatalities, then the cat is out of the bag. Don't expect to get any real data locally on how bad the epidemic is until people in your area start dying.

Molitro 03-21-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28376046)
Gl man try to not be part of the first wave. Hopefully people aren't as stupid as vid related.

Well for now I'm in the literally least affected of the 17 areas of Spain, and nobody around seems to have caught it.
The problem though, is it's been just about 8 to 10 days since the good (ahum) people from Madrid decided to move out and spread aaaall around Spain at the exact window of 5-6 days of being infectious and asymptomatic, so it's this week where it's gonna start to ramp up in here. It's just a quesiton of wether the containment, which started exactly a week ago today, caught us soon enough to avoid the real exponential growth (which started to show 2 days ago, even though it's just a couple of hundred cases still).

speed_demon 03-21-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28376206)

Beyond the numbers I mean. What about the talk of potential cures, general guidelines, the idea that governments are magically working together at the moment, etc. Not trying to read between the lines too much as I can't trust what they're saying as it is.

skupples 03-21-2020 09:11 AM

was just out n about. fever pitch is a good term to use.

i'd recommend not being a part of the problem by calling ahead to see when the store is re-stocking what you can't find.

my mom this morning - we're down to 10 rolls, 2 packs, 4 boxes of cleanex...

well, I just got home with 200+ paper sammich baggies, so NO you aren't going to the store.

dad comes out "LEAVING FOR A HAIRCUT BAAAAAIII!" mom's like, "ohhh I'll ride with!. I promise I'll wait in the car"

clearly the boomers are starting to crack & show what's going on inside.

DNMock 03-21-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28376286)
was just out n about. fever pitch is a good term to use.

i'd recommend not being a part of the problem by calling ahead to see when the store is re-stocking what you can't find.

my mom this morning - we're down to 10 rolls, 2 packs, 4 boxes of cleanex...

well, I just got home with 200+ paper sammich baggies, so NO you aren't going to the store.

dad comes out "LEAVING FOR A HAIRCUT BAAAAAIII!" mom's like, "ohhh I'll ride with!. I promise I'll wait in the car"

clearly the boomers are starting to crack & show what's going on inside.

Yeah, I'm at work today, and it's been busy with almost nothing but 50+ and hispanics. Now granted, we are a landscaping supply company in Texas, so 50+ and hispanics are our normal clientele, but it's extremely skewed today.