Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Video Game News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/)
-   -   [pcgamer] How the industry is reacting to E3's cancellation (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-video-game-news/1743764-pcgamer-how-industry-reacting-e3s-cancellation.html)

speed_demon 03-21-2020 09:37 AM

Wait a landscaping supply company that's still open?

I love Texas. Don't ever change.

skupples 03-21-2020 09:55 AM

houses still gotta get built.

I haven't seen much of a decrease in the homes going up around me. I've already discussed with my parents how that's their risk point, while being home.

the lawn crew was here yesterday morning, bug dudes came this morning. pool dudes are out putting as much bleach in pools as possible, etc etc.

at least the trash guys are still going. gotta keep the trash from piling up.

the old dudes will keep their businesses up and running as long as possible. double edge sword.

speed_demon 03-21-2020 10:08 AM

Yep my mom just left for work herself. We have been told via the local news sunday night/monday morning is the cutoff for businesses to close by unless absolutely essential. And her boss says if she doesn't show up monday for her 2pm shift she's fired. Mean old bugger he is. Though to be fair she's not so nice herself. I don't think he can do that, but he's gonna anyway. Aurum est potestas and all that.

Local guard is all ready to go into action. Looks like we're in doors for a while here in the midwest.

skupples 03-21-2020 10:11 AM

drama brews in the EUs.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Britain.html

5gb left on doom:e, woot.

ToTheSun! 03-21-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28376388)
drama brews in the EUs.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Britain.html

5gb left on doom:e, woot.

Maybe Macron is not a history buff.

junglechocolate 03-21-2020 12:15 PM

Again where are the trailers? YOu don't need an Expo to release trailers?

speed_demon 03-21-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28376496)
Maybe Macron is not a history buff.

Sneak in his room while he's sleeping and whisper history lessons in his ear. I have faith in you I know you can be our man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglechocolate (Post 28376534)
Again where are the trailers? YOu don't need an Expo to release trailers?

No they don't you're right.

On a side note, anybody with a switch might want to jump on Animal Crossing that was just released. No doubt with everyone bored & indoors it'll sell out fairly fast.

Tomb raider at 6.6gb of 9.1 for me. Glad I got my new video card when I did.

skupples 03-21-2020 01:00 PM

games selling out? what?

oh, physical switch copies?

treetops422 03-21-2020 03:07 PM

To bad the USA isn't a bit more like China, sure they lie, but they did lock their country down like a boss. Half of our states still have schools open. We get our groceries at mass gatherings, in giant buildings with recirculated air. One of our national news anchors tell us to hold our breath for 10 seconds as test for Corona. Then demonstrates how to do it, without even plugging his nose.(in case you don't know, this is bs, geraldo riviara, no I don't care how to properly spell his name) I wonder if the Chinese play clips like that and shake their heads at us.

Anyways if we do stop the spread it won't be because of any kind of due diligence on our part. Gas stations don't have protection at the pumps. Doors. Counters. Sink handles. Even the people preparing your food lack these basic protections on many levels. Be it groceries or your local take out. People think masks don't do anything, because they only protect "OTHER" people. Well if everyone wore a mask... I think you can figure out the rest.

If you were really concerned, you would not go to Walmart. You would not expose yourself to elderly people if you have to expose yourself to the public. You would use a sock, rag, whatever and wash it in your washing machine.

The USA exports more food then it consumes. You will be fed. Go read the Grapes of Wraith and get over yourselves. I guess most of the Americans who have been through some real **** have died out.

If it really comes down to it, the USA government will make us all stay home and distribute food. If you are lucky TP.

In case you are interested in what we actually know.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

cssorkinman 03-21-2020 03:11 PM

fwiw

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine...9-1b767def5894

speed_demon 03-21-2020 03:22 PM

Yep like I said prior, It's not so much a concern about the virus itself as it is about how people are behaving over it.

Falkentyne 03-21-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treetops422 (Post 28376810)
To bad the USA isn't a bit more like China, sure they lie, but they did lock their country down like a boss. Half of our states still have schools open. We get our groceries at mass gatherings, in giant buildings with recirculated air. One of our national news anchors tell us to hold our breath for 10 seconds as test for Corona. Then demonstrates how to do it, without even plugging his nose.(in case you don't know, this is bs, geraldo riviara, no I don't care how to properly spell his name) I wonder if the Chinese play clips like that and shake their heads at us.

Anyways if we do stop the spread it won't be because of any kind of due diligence on our part. Gas stations don't have protection at the pumps. Doors. Counters. Sink handles. Even the people preparing your food lack these basic protections on many levels. Be it groceries or your local take out. People think masks don't do anything, because they only protect "OTHER" people. Well if everyone wore a mask... I think you can figure out the rest.

If you were really concerned, you would not go to Walmart. You would not expose yourself to elderly people if you have to expose yourself to the public. You would use a sock, rag, whatever and wash it in your washing machine.

The USA exports more food then it consumes. You will be fed. Go read the Grapes of Wraith and get over yourselves. I guess most of the Americans who have been through some real **** have died out.

If it really comes down to it, the USA government will make us all stay home and distribute food. If you are lucky TP.

In case you are interested in what we actually know.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Not everyone has a washing machine. And not everyone has a car. And not everyone is going to carry poop filled items to the laundromat. You do realize not everyone is as rich as you are, right?

essanbee 03-21-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Amazing cooperativeness demonstrated by the average Chinese citizen. I guess years of being disappeared, dragged off by the secret police in the night, or sent to reeducation camps where you are worked to death engenders obedience. And to think much of the media has no problem with that. :thumbsdow

skupples 03-21-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28376818)

tell it to the people causing the stores to sell out of all fresh and preferred preserved / dry foods, and paper products.

DNMock 03-21-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

To bad the USA isn't a bit more like China

You mean like when they were literally welding the doors shut to apartment buildings with everyone inside? - https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1703503427818

If you were paying attention to how China handled the outbreak it was a cavalcade of human rights violations.

skupples 03-21-2020 04:56 PM

the same people saying that would be wigging the flip out right now if other nations were welding people in.

the dudes fogging the open air in hazmat was a good look in the cities though :P

oh, n those videos of people being dragged out of their homes by suited ninjas, then thrown into plastic tanks on the back of S10 scale pickup trucks, taken to god knows where? Effective? Yes. Murderous? possibly. something citizens of the west would tolerate? absolutely not. The political implications of this are huge, n those of you who think that's been set aside are wrong. the pork to come outta the emergency money act will have long lasting implications.

you also forget, we're an armed populous, even in those purple & blue states. At least, for now. I wouldn't put it past Mr. California to try to snatch em up mid-emergency under the guise of public safety. :P I'd assume he has at least a couple voicemails from "Beto" so the results of attempting to weld people in would be quite different I think.

the stories coming out of US hospitals is gross and grim.

now back to more doom guy.

speed_demon 03-21-2020 05:04 PM

Trouble is US citizens tend to be rather aggressive against that type of behavior coming from the government.

We're going to get this thread locked though continuing on like this. Lol.

skupples 03-21-2020 05:07 PM

true enough. that's probably fine though.

we're hearing about NY mostly on the news, but we have oh so many other cities just like New York all over the country. anywhere you've got lots of high density housing, specially low income high density. :( n the trash is gonna start piling up @ people's apartment complexes due to everyone being home.

Diffident 03-22-2020 01:24 PM

Corona virus CLI tracking tool.

https://github.com/garrylachman/covid19-cli

speed_demon 03-22-2020 01:25 PM

The virus has it's own software now. I mean tracking software not that it owns it. You know what I mean.

Interesting times we live in.

ThrashZone 03-22-2020 02:35 PM

Hi,
Lying wise I believe we do that just as well as China does.
We just don't round people up and lock them up as well being woke and all
I suppose we could do that better.

skupples 03-22-2020 02:50 PM

oh we lock up plenty of people, and we're not very good at doing it quietly, unless its federal/military.

we just wait for them to trip first. Too bad its not a sneeze, or maybe we'd spare a few deaths.

like I said the other day though. I'd be complaining if they were welding people into their New York & Cinci towers.

We all know that one person. the one person that'll go to work, or fly across the world, even when sick with Ebola.

Darklyric 03-22-2020 04:19 PM

like that doctors without borders dude that brought ebola back to nyc lol

cssorkinman 03-22-2020 04:33 PM

Sure have to wonder about the whole Dr. Charles Lieber kerfluffle.

speed_demon 03-22-2020 04:40 PM

School me. What happened?

cssorkinman 03-22-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28377932)
School me. What happened?

Biochemist from Harvard , arrested in January for taking money from Wuhan university and not reporting it ( among other things).

Darklyric 03-22-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28377944)
Biochemist from Harvard , arrested in January for taking money from Wuhan university and not reporting it ( among other things).

Then went to work there iirc. That canadian couple from a few years back that got caught steal biomaterial or whatever and went to go work in wuhan.

speed_demon 03-22-2020 07:22 PM

Oh wow. That's mighty suspicious. And a bit crooked to boot.

cssorkinman 03-22-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28378134)
Then went to work there iirc. That canadian couple from a few years back that got caught steal biomaterial or whatever and went to go work in wuhan.

Yeah and one the chinese nationals that was working in harvard's biochem lab was an active member of their millitary for goodness sakes. ( If i remember right, he got caught trying to smuggle 27 viles of material back to china in his socks.). Who the hell is screening these guys?

treetops422 03-22-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkentyne (Post 28376890)
Not everyone has a washing machine. And not everyone has a car. And not everyone is going to carry poop filled items to the laundromat. You do realize not everyone is as rich as you are, right?

Or wash your bum in the shower. I've done it. I've been that broke. Actually I mainly used a newspaper until I grabbed a bunch of mcdonalds napkins, my roommate, well you'd have to ask him. I deliver food, my gf works at a grocery store. Were exposed daily. I'm talking about the USA. Think of the third world countries. How bad they're gonna have it.

As far as a bit more like China. We can't even manage to close down schools in all the areas with known infections. Instead were doing a trivial let the governor decide status. A bit is a bit. Ok reworded, a bit more like France?(idk just grabbed a random country) A bit more like anywhere with less red tape. We can't simply say hey CDC what should we do and do it. It's pathetic.

Ok better example maybe Japan, without even looking.

p.s. if anyone needs a job Walmart is hiring like mad

treetops422 03-23-2020 12:14 AM

8051 03-23-2020 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28376906)
Amazing cooperativeness demonstrated by the average Chinese citizen. I guess years of being disappeared, dragged off by the secret police in the night, or sent to reeducation camps where you are worked to death engenders obedience. And to think much of the media has no problem with that. :thumbsdow

In the USSR Stalin ordered some engineers to build him a better fighter plane, when he felt they weren't doing it quickly enough he had them imprisoned. That motivated them to quickly crank out the first monoplane fighter aircraft.

cssorkinman 03-23-2020 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklyric (Post 28378134)

Here's a related video

skupples 03-23-2020 06:11 AM

daaaaamn.

didn't even think about lieber's impact.

ToTheSun! 03-23-2020 07:26 AM

Yeah, China is the bad guy... More lies from the same guys behind the Black Mesa incident cover-up.

speed_demon 03-23-2020 07:28 AM

What about the june 4 1989 Tienman square incident that china has been covering up. Doesn't lend a whole lot of credence to anything they put out as official anymore.

ThrashZone 03-23-2020 07:35 AM

Hi,
Anyone that thinks China is honest is just as bad as NBA players :)

cssorkinman 03-23-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28378510)
What about the june 4 1989 Tienman square incident that china has been covering up. Doesn't lend a whole lot of credence to anything they put out as official anymore.

Can you imagine how different our news coverage would look if our president could lock up/execute anyone that reported anything he didn't like?

speed_demon 03-23-2020 09:01 AM

Our entire country as a whole would be so different. Wildly different. Scary stuff.

skupples 03-23-2020 09:29 AM

well duh, this is why you should ignore the chinese data, and look at eu/SA/mexico.

the issue of high density living exists in all big cities.

DNMock 03-23-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28378640)
well duh, this is why you should ignore the chinese data, and look at eu/SA/mexico.

the issue of high density living exists in all big cities.

It's a shame Mexico is doing next to nothing (at least they weren't doing anything a couple days ago). Also, I'm curious why India doesn't have more cases being in close proximity to China, less than optimal conditions and the densest population on earth.

treetops422 03-23-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28378510)

Yeah and that Epstein Island, where is all the news on that? Like he ran the island all by himself? No one else is even being prosecuted?

skupples 03-23-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28378934)
It's a shame Mexico is doing next to nothing (at least they weren't doing anything a couple days ago). Also, I'm curious why India doesn't have more cases being in close proximity to China, less than optimal conditions and the densest population on earth.

i've been wondering that too, then, eventually, the nations i wonder it about start flat lining.

it's probably more likely that its just not being picked up quite yet in Indiana.

similar, just lower population. Nations in general disarray are going to react slower.

:D just made my first barter of the 2020 apocolypse. 1 joint per 1 XXL roll of Sams Club triple ply.

ThrashZone 03-23-2020 02:20 PM

Hi,
That's an easy one
Most came to Mexico from China already walked into the USA lol :)

skupples 03-23-2020 02:21 PM

kinda makes you wonder if other nations have just been toughing it out as a "worse than normal flu" cuz the testing sux, and everything else is more on fire than elsewhere, thus is harder to notice the affect.

also seems Conservative Talk Radio is really pimping trump's miracle cure with Malaria, Z-pack, and Zinc. =\

8051 03-23-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treetops422 (Post 28378944)
Yeah and that Epstein Island, where is all the news on that? Like he ran the island all by himself? No one else is even being prosecuted?

How many people died on Child Molester Island though vs. Tianemen Square? Then there's the 400+ people arrested in Hong Kong for protesting against the PRC in early January. I wonder if they're even still alive?

skupples 03-23-2020 02:26 PM

how many people died on Epstein Island #1? amazing question. I'd assume those guys were doing all sorts of insane, old world stuff.

like live sacrifice to harvest pineal, etc. i hear the younger they are the more potent the gland.

turns out Hunter S. Thompson was absolutely 100% correct in the assertions he made way back in the day. Sad, really.

DNMock 03-23-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28378948)
:D just made my first barter of the 2020 apocolypse. 1 joint per 1 XXL roll of Sams Club triple ply.

LOL, yesterday my buddy traded a bottle of makers mark 46 for .25 oz of skunk weed.

The only thing I'm lacking is some chicken at the moment. Can't find any meats in the stores for the last week, so if anyone around DFW has some chicken, let me know and maybe we can strike a deal.

skupples 03-23-2020 02:31 PM

:D :D :D

this is lil sebastian, from auntie's mile high organic dirt grown closet.

essanbee 03-23-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28378972)
The only thing I'm lacking is some chicken at the moment. Can't find any meats in the stores for the last week, so if anyone around DFW has some chicken, let me know and maybe we can strike a deal.

That's what I love about country living. The stores are still stocked. Still getting fresh meats of all kinds. Local butcher's bro raises cattle, pigs, chickens, etc...

Still working every day as well.

skupples 03-23-2020 05:14 PM

yep, i'm grateful to be in an only 1/3 developed new suburban sprawl. n i'm even more grateful that my crazy friends in New York took my advice 3 weeks ago to kick rocks. they're now riding it out in rural Jacksonville. Say what you want, but warmth and sun 100% help when you're sick. :D

so many grocery stores around our country block, it's kinda funny. the only thing we're out of is TP, n that's only cuz people are taking ALL of it, every time it restocks, 1-2 times a day. Only a few stores have given enough damns to ration distribution of perceived necessities. wipes & tp & napkins, and coffee filters. (heathens! just jump in the shower for farks sake)

fresh produce also keeps selling out, but only at the big boys that ship it in from cross country. all the small regional supply shops are fine. (whole foods, and whole foods like)

see, most of our oranges get pressed into OJ, or ripen otw to california/canada/new york.

we stock "cali" oranges. (probably cartel grown in mexico, n mixed into cali stock while no one's looking)

which reminds me. i'm 100% willing to send ramen bombs to anyone in need, within the 48.

speed_demon 03-24-2020 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28379134)
That's what I love about country living. The stores are still stocked. Still getting fresh meats of all kinds. Local butcher's bro raises cattle, pigs, chickens, etc...

Still working every day as well.

I was about to respond and then I looked at your location - Serious question, is there still country in florida? I was under the impression it was mostly all developed out like cali is. If so I need to spend more time on google maps or something cause my public school geography knowledge is way off.

Stores here in Wisco are mostly back to normal. Only thing really still bare is cough medicine and cereal. Toilet paper was overflowing into the aisle at the big box store yesterday. There's perks to living in the middle of nowhere. :D

DNMock 03-24-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28379634)
I was about to respond and then I looked at your location - Serious question, is there still country in florida? I was under the impression it was mostly all developed out like cali is. If so I need to spend more time on google maps or something cause my public school geography knowledge is way off.

Stores here in Wisco are mostly back to normal. Only thing really still bare is cough medicine and cereal. Toilet paper was overflowing into the aisle at the big box store yesterday. There's perks to living in the middle of nowhere. :D

Panhandle area is pretty rural.

Gunderman456 03-24-2020 07:24 AM

We need to swing this conversation around and consider the perspective on whether we are spiting our noses to save our face.

Question imposed of our "leaders" should be whether these measures are advisable/sustainable.

Stop the mass hysteria, you're only feeding into people's fears. People that have no clue what's going on beside main stream drivel.

Hysteria that have caused people to loose their jobs, their savings, investments, nest eggs and empty store shelves. In the end the hysteria and isolation measures may kill more people then this "virus". You can bet that there will be more repercussions to come.

If things don't go back to normal soon the "virus" will be the least of your worries.

Darklyric 03-24-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cssorkinman (Post 28378384)
Here's a related video
https://youtu.be/0sTpLGjLk9s

Ah I was mixing the Canadian couple and this guy up, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28379714)
We need to swing this conversation around and consider the perspective on whether we are spiting our noses to save our face.

Question imposed of our "leaders" should be whether these measures are advisable/sustainable.

Stop the mass hysteria, you're only feeding into people's fears. People that have no clue what's going on beside main stream drivel.

Hysteria that have caused people to loose their jobs, their savings, investments, nest eggs and empty store shelves. In the end the hysteria and isolation measures may kill more people then this "virus". You can bet that there will be more repercussions to come.

If things don't go back to normal soon the "virus" will be the least of your worries.

Is this the big one? No but its a sign that we are totally f'd when that one does come.

skupples 03-24-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

lots of florida is still country/rural. just gotta get 15-30 miles inland. this only doesn't exist in south florida, where they're built all the way up to everglades national park. there's still then even some farm land left though, like the sulph farms

its mostly farm land out where am. It's just now being converted into modern suburbs. (lakewood ranch) guessing wuhan syndrome is gonna cause some issues with these yet to be built, cleared developments.

cssorkinman 03-24-2020 12:30 PM

There are 3007 counties in the United States , there are now 600 deaths from corona virus. 6 counties account for at least 202 of the deaths. What do those counties have in common? They are home to "Sanctuary cities" ( Seattle - King county and the 5 boroughs that make up New York City).

skupples 03-24-2020 12:31 PM

;)

Rei86 03-24-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treetops422 (Post 28378218)

Ok better example maybe Japan, without even looking.

p.s. if anyone needs a job Walmart is hiring like mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbORXEmbnk

Japan did a shetastic job like Italy.

If anything we want to be like S. Korea.

But all the talks from China for blaming us for this AND them talking about withholding supply to make the drugs from us.
We DON'T even have a penicillin manufacturing plant in the USA anymore.

skupples 03-24-2020 02:12 PM

walmart is blasting how their truck drivers start @ 87.5k a year.

speed_demon 03-24-2020 02:28 PM

That's misleading though because drivers end up wasting time waiting for their load to be counted @ the store. So their pay ends up depending on factors out of their control. Though they do get treated pretty well.

skupples 03-24-2020 04:43 PM

so its kinda like a flight attendant? they only get paid when the door's closed/wheels are up (depends on the company)

essanbee 03-24-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

45 minutes in any direction and I get to a city. A whole lot of farmland and tens of thousands of acres of planted pines. Big logging industry in FL panhandle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNMock (Post 28379666)
Panhandle area is pretty rural.

Calling this place rural is like calling Tennessee hilly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28380224)
That's misleading though because drivers end up wasting time waiting for their load to be counted @ the store. So their pay ends up depending on factors out of their control. Though they do get treated pretty well.

Drove big trucks on the road for several years. The Walmart fleet is, not counting specialty military loads, the highest paying and hardest to qualify for trucking fleet. They cannot make any mistakes. No late deliveries, no tickets, no speeding, etc...

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28380354)
so its kinda like a flight attendant? they only get paid when the door's closed/wheels are up (depends on the company)

They used to get paid by the mile, but have all sorts of bonuses for extra pay. Fuel efficiency bonus, on-time bonus (not early or late), lots of things pay extra. The Walmart fleet is the schnizz.

skupples 03-24-2020 05:39 PM

post Tracey Morgan incident.

speed_demon 03-24-2020 05:57 PM

Tracey morgan? I dunno if I even want to google it. Could be a trap :p

I have a buddy that did refrig for the walmart fleet from 2017 until 2019. He made lots of money but hated every minute of it. Even though they treat you well and he says dispatch doesn't play games like some companies, it was too much stress and too many times he sat there waiting while they unloaded his trailer.

Am going for my CDL right now. Or was, until the whole mess we're in now happened.

I live in the regular rural chunk of 'merica. Kind of liked where I used to live where everybody waves at you and random neighbors stop by to give you a hand on projects. Was nice.

skupples 03-24-2020 06:01 PM

pretty sure a walmart driver almost killed Tracey Morgan. fell asleep at the wheel due to being over-worked or something?

pretty sure it caused many of the rules to change, as far as logging goes, and required resting, etc.

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...icle-1.2884871

speed_demon 03-24-2020 06:06 PM

Oh wow. Well good to see some things changed. Though at the moment due to national crisis the DOT suspended log books for the time being. My trucking buddy put in a 20 hour shift just the other day...

My almost father in law was a trucker from the 70's and he had some wild stories to tell anytime we got together. He once ground the lug nuts & studs off the RF wheel after he fell asleep coming down the rockies. Said he was so tired he didn't care what happened, kept dozing off and waking himself back up every few seconds. Was running two books and all that. Sorta glad things changed away from that.

doom26464 03-24-2020 07:13 PM

Im pretty sure I had the virus already after travailing late dec, early Jan and coming in contact with many different people from many stretches of the globe. By start of Feb I was so sick that I ended up in the hospital for a day on IV and then followed by a week of bed ridden rest and once out of bed 2 weeks after of coughing.

Im also only in my mid 30's and in very good shape/health. Never been hit with something so hard.

None the less the world right now is an interesting place. I have to wonder how long will this go on and how long can the government(or governments) prop up an economy that has basically come to a hault. I know for me Work has been some what steady do to vehicle repairs still existing, but I know alot of people sent home from work sitting on there ass right now.

Its so weird driving around the city seeing so many places closed and so little traffic on the freeway. Even in my own little suburb there just people out for walks in little groups of there family everywhere as I can tell people are bored and stir crazy at home. Almost feel like reality is now some sort of weird kojima video game now lol

skupples 03-24-2020 07:52 PM

sounds quite similar to what wiped out my town, and also sounds like what these people are saying in their testimonials.

i definitely intend to be first in line for antibody testing.

that's the one thing i've been saying almost all year now. I think many of us already experienced this in the early stages. Society is hella segmented these days. Not impossible to believe it took awhile to work its way into the groups of people where it would cause death.

new york sitting up there yelling how they were the first, well then they've had it since Christmas. More likely, like I originally insinuated. It started with the port states. New York is just screwed because of their obscenely dense population and flu season weather.

EniGma1987 03-25-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28380432)
Drove big trucks on the road for several years. The Walmart fleet is, not counting specialty military loads, the highest paying and hardest to qualify for trucking fleet. They cannot make any mistakes. No late deliveries, no tickets, no speeding, etc...

So no "2nd book" either?

cssorkinman 03-25-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom26464 (Post 28380516)
Im pretty sure I had the virus already after travailing late dec, early Jan and coming in contact with many different people from many stretches of the globe. By start of Feb I was so sick that I ended up in the hospital for a day on IV and then followed by a week of bed ridden rest and once out of bed 2 weeks after of coughing.

Im also only in my mid 30's and in very good shape/health. Never been hit with something so hard.

None the less the world right now is an interesting place. I have to wonder how long will this go on and how long can the government(or governments) prop up an economy that has basically come to a hault. I know for me Work has been some what steady do to vehicle repairs still existing, but I know alot of people sent home from work sitting on there ass right now.

Its so weird driving around the city seeing so many places closed and so little traffic on the freeway. Even in my own little suburb there just people out for walks in little groups of there family everywhere as I can tell people are bored and stir crazy at home. Almost feel like reality is now some sort of weird kojima video game now lol

My sister's family had a helluva flu back in early January - 2 ended up in hospital for a short time.

skupples 03-25-2020 07:56 AM

Like oh so many other people.

it's been here for awhile. they just didn't acknowledge it until people started dying.

doctors also regularly refuse & deny flu, and only treat symptoms. this magically changed in February.

My mom went to the doctor with the flu I gave her, dying, n they refused to test for flu, refused to even state it could be a flu. The whole office then got sick shortly after.(they treated symptoms only. gave z-pack, nebulizer, bronchitis stuff, etc)

Rei86 03-25-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

With China's media blackout about this virus, some are trying to reach out that they have indeed been reinfected.

Stay safe man.

ThrashZone 03-25-2020 09:31 AM

Hi,
Yeah if airports/.... don't start doing thermal imaging and stopping people with fever they didn't learn anything with coronavirus at all.

doom26464 03-25-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rei86 (Post 28381284)
Quote:

With China's media blackout about this virus, some are trying to reach out that they have indeed been reinfected.

Stay safe man.

Im back to full health for over a month and a bit. Was crushing the gym even up until they closed those down. I feel like my normal self again.

Only thing I have to wonder now is my body immune to this virius now after potentially having it while the rest of the world descends into chaos and wild spread sickness?

ToTheSun! 03-25-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom26464 (Post 28381340)
Only thing I have to wonder now is my body immune to this virius now after potentially having it while the rest of the world descends into chaos and wild spread sickness?

I wouldn't risk it. It's relative immunity, and, according to reports, some people are being reinfected with Kung Flu after hospital discharge.

skupples 03-25-2020 10:11 AM

in with wuhan, out with kung... lol...

people need to grow up n realize this would happen less often if people didn't REEEEE about it.

it's full on circle jerk. be outraged, post about outrage, get clicks about outrage, fuels more outrage.

doom26464 03-25-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28381348)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doom26464 (Post 28381340)

I wouldn't risk it. It's relative immunity, and, according to reports, some people are being reinfected with Kung Flu after hospital discharge.

Pretty much what I figured. Better safe then sorry.

essanbee 03-25-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EniGma1987 (Post 28381038)
So no "2nd book" either?

Almost impossible to run two books now. All modern fleets have long since been on electronic logs, saved on a server, that cannot be edited by the drivers. Edits made by the operations staff must show the original entry and the changes. They must keep the logs for X number of years for feds inspections that do happen. Law also requires individual truck owner/operators to be on electronic logs. There are a few exceptions I'm sure.

speed_demon 03-25-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28381668)
Almost impossible to run two books now. All modern fleets have long since been on electronic logs, saved on a server, that cannot be edited by the drivers. Edits made by the operations staff must show the original entry and the changes. They must keep the logs for X number of years for feds inspections that do happen. Law also requires individual truck owner/operators to be on electronic logs. There are a few exceptions I'm sure.

My inside source says if you want to run two books it's still entirely doable, just more hoops to jump through. Drivers run in a team and never switch off, so one person just sits in the bed all day. They go for Volvo trucks for this specifically because of the oversized cab.

essanbee 03-25-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_demon (Post 28381676)
My inside source says if you want to run two books it's still entirely doable, just more hoops to jump through. Drivers run in a team and never switch off, so one person just sits in the bed all day. They go for Volvo trucks for this specifically because of the oversized cab.

Oh yeah, team driving is legal. I was thinking you meant two books to cheat.

skupples 03-25-2020 03:06 PM

saw a photo the other day, dude had an entire office setup in his sleeper.

EniGma1987 03-25-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essanbee (Post 28381690)
Oh yeah, team driving is legal. I was thinking you meant two books to cheat.

yes, that is what I meant when asking. I know that used to be the norm back when I knew people in trucking. That was a long time ago now though

Mand12 03-26-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28381368)
in with wuhan, out with kung... lol...

people need to grow up n realize this would happen less often if people didn't REEEEE about it.

it's full on circle jerk. be outraged, post about outrage, get clicks about outrage, fuels more outrage.

So, you're just trolling then? Nice to know.

skupples 03-26-2020 08:40 AM

99.99% of my posts are slapstick nonsense, yes.

i feel sorry for people that burden offense in the name of others. Like the college groups full of white kids that tried to shut down sports teams using Tribe names & mascots. (can agree redskin is not a good team name. however, The Seminoles is not. They even have box seats @ Doak Campbell stadium)

tpi2007 03-26-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diffident (Post 28375796)
In US 14,000 flu deaths this season, 250 to corona.

Another post that didn't age well at all. Five days later and it's at 1k+ deaths from it in the US (1046 currently). And this is late March we're talking about, Spring time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 (Post 28379714)

It's always a tough balancing act when all the information available tells that you're going to have a recession (or are already in one). The fact is that this is a new virus for which there is no acquired immunity, no herd immunity. There will be consequences. If you act as normal you run the very, very high risk that hospitals get overrun with cases (just like they have in some countries in Europe, like Italy and Spain) and then the system collapses and not even people with other diseases get to be treated. And what follows suit? Even more desperate measures and people in chaos mode because they can't get treated. People just have to do their best. Quick, 80%+ reliable tests should be carried out as soon as possible to everybody so that we can have more reasonable measures put in place that hurt the economy less and medicine and vaccine research should be sped up as much as possible, but beyond that, with the severity of the virus compared to the common flu, it's inevitable that there will be negative consequences.

8051 03-26-2020 09:34 AM

So if the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders were lifted it would be worse in the short term (i.e. more deaths/hospitalizations) but better in the long term (i.e. for the economy)? Or would it be worse on all counts than continuing the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders?

skupples 03-26-2020 10:05 AM

we'll know soon, as many corporations complying with the work from home plan will start requiring people return to work @ the end of the 15 days.

flattening the curve is about slowing down all the death, more so than stopping it.

it's interesting to see where it ISN'T affecting people. Probably areas that had it before we admitted it was here. people love to reference the last known flu death statistic as a "what's the big deal?!?!" statement, which they picked up listening to too much conservative talk radio.

the big deal is, go look at 2018, 2017, 2016... n then realize doctors all but refuse to test you for flu when you're clearly sick with flu. So the numbers we already have, and overly rely on to embrace our denialism are highly inaccurate. 2020 flu season will be the first time we've captured half way accurate statistics in many moons.

sharts getting more potent, that's the big deal.

tpi2007 03-26-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 28382674)
So if the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders were lifted it would be worse in the short term (i.e. more deaths/hospitalizations) but better in the long term (i.e. for the economy)? Or would it be worse on all counts than continuing the quarantine/shelter-in-place orders?

With the severity of the virus compared to the normal flu, there is no healthcare system that can provide for hospitalizations of all the people that need it if we were to carry on as normal. You might survive under hard circumstances under lockdown until there is effective medicine and a vaccine, but the chances of a lot of people being infected and needing care and dying in a short amount of time without access to proper medical care, many of which could have been treated effectively if it weren't for a collapsed hospital system, is greater.

Also, let's not forget that the medical crews are at greater risk here too, if a large percentage of them get infected because of having to treat these cases non stop 24/7, leading to longer working hours, higher stress, lower immune system, you'll end up with a severely crippled medical system in the end and that's not good when it comes to the general health of a country long term.

Most people will end up getting infected, but we have to spread out the infection rate over a period of months and not weeks, so that the healthcare system can handle it - and also while we wait for medicine and a vaccine, otherwise the consequences would be catastrophic. This is a buy time strategy. It's not ideal, but there is no ideal in this case, ideally the virus would not exist or we could fast forward in time when there is herd immunity and / or the virus has mutated into a perhaps more contagious but less lethal disease, just like the common flu.

What countries need to do at the moment is test everyone in order to be able to have more reasonable containment measures, buy medical equipment, be decisive in providing safety nets in case of unemployment and have a clear plan of what to do to kickstart the economy once we get out of this critical period.

Mand12 03-26-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8051 (Post 28382674)

It would be worse in the short term and in the long term. This isn't something that will just sweep us by quickly and then it's back to normal if we do nothing - millions dead and tens of millions needing hospitalization in a matter of weeks will be a massive hit to the economy no matter what the right-wingers will tell you.

And, also, millions will be dead who didn't have to be.

skupples 03-26-2020 10:36 AM

looking back on it now, the cost effective reasoning for castrating nursing into 6 different tiers of education probably isn't panning out all that well in times of emergency.

also, intentionally trying to overload a system to cause fundamental foundation restructuring probably seems like a bad idea now too. It'll probably end up being a good thing we still have a hybrid medical system. only time will tell.

good news is, seems a medical army is forming of its own fruition, to travel into ground zero, and relieve those who're beginning to burn out.

ToTheSun! 03-26-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpi2007 (Post 28382744)
What countries need to do at the moment is test everyone

Logistically, that's not feasible. Spain tried to test as many as possible, but ended up suffering the consequences of bruteforcing the process.

skupples 03-26-2020 11:47 AM

governments struggle to even recognize everyone on a sunny day, n you expect them to be able to handle cranking out enough reliable tests to scan an entire nation? it's puckering season, and the corporations will 100% expect us to start returning to work when trump's "15 day plan" ends in a few days.

y'all should dig into the root causes of medical supply line issues. It's not as simple as "reeeee china!"

google up IV Bag shortage, it's a good place to start, a few years back in time, when people really started to realize the potential of what was coming.

cssorkinman 03-26-2020 11:55 AM

Anyone have a firm number on how many have been tested here in the US total? I saw a figure the other day that said 14% of those tested were positive for corona, sure that is a very fluid number but no where have I seen the number of tests given in the US.

skupples 03-26-2020 12:04 PM

I think you'd have to tune into Cuomo's daily updates for that kinda number. the nightly fire side chats with trump are very numbers free. They've even asked people to STOP asking for numbers. It's not the right question!

i know I heard in many places, most of the people showing up for testing are negative. no clue where that was, now that there's at least a couple drive up test sites in each state.

they just put one up in the old people side of Orlando, as the case #s are starting to climb rapidly.

the new reality stuff really irks me. too many pieces of the government and those that crony up to it are willing to accept this type of lifestyle as a new normal. Let those that continue to disregard in the name of GET DRUNK WOOOOO! die. it's fine. the world will be a much better place with a few million less Karens and Chads around to annoy and soak up the payroll.

no. sorry uber, this isn't your window to further world domination.

Rei86 03-26-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28382844)
governments struggle to even recognize everyone on a sunny day, n you expect them to be able to handle cranking out enough reliable tests to scan an entire nation? it's puckering season, and the corporations will 100% expect us to start returning to work when trump's "15 day plan" ends in a few days.

y'all should dig into the root causes of medical supply line issues. It's not as simple as "reeeee china!"

google up IV Bag shortage, it's a good place to start, a few years back in time, when people really started to realize the potential of what was coming.

Not even that.

We had insulin shortage just a few years ago too.

speed_demon 03-26-2020 01:14 PM

Lots of things are running out. Or have been in the past years. Helium was running out and caused a bunch of issues for divers. https://timesofmalta.com/articles/vi...o-close.742710

skupples 03-26-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rei86 (Post 28382934)
Not even that.

We had insulin shortage just a few years ago too.

that was intentionally man made though.

the IV bag shortage was caused by natural disaster, and lack of manufacturing redundancy. There are a few articles that pop up when googling it that go further into the issue, going company by company, auditing their sites, and ability to actually produce if said sites go down. its some shady money hungry stuff. humanity's greed knows no bounds.

tpi2007 03-27-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheSun! (Post 28382832)
Logistically, that's not feasible. Spain tried to test as many as possible, but ended up suffering the consequences of bruteforcing the process.

Well, as much as possible, over the least amount of time possible, of course. Spain got ahead of themselves and apparently bought a batch of test kits that only had a 30% detection rate instead of the stated 80%+ from a non-licensed company and had to return that batch. Mistakes happen.

skupples 03-27-2020 11:22 AM

wonder if it was a chinese company.