Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   Shift - An ongoing tale (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1744130-shift-ongoing-tale.html)

AlSki.net 03-18-2020 01:10 PM

Shift - An ongoing tale

5 Attachment(s)
So the Phanteks Shift is terrible for temperatures, but oh so achingly good looking. I'd love to say that I am far too sensible to won over by looks, but here I am.

This is my journey trying to make things better.

Initially I am starting with just a simple config.
ASUS 1070 Strix O8G
i5-8400
ASUS H370-i mini-itx
Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb M.2-2280 NVME
Corsair SF 600 Platinum

The temperatures weren't great. I guessed that the primary problem was the 8 pin ATX motherboard cable which could only route downwards and block airflow to the primary case exhaust fan. Looks like a job for some custom cables!

AlSki.net 03-18-2020 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In another sensible decision of style over substance, I've chosen the MPDC transparent 15AWG wire which I am using un-sleeved. At least this time I can probably claim that the reduced heat from the extra cross-sectional area will make all the difference in trying to keep this case cool.

I mean cool in temps, the way the cable catches the light is already so cool (if you like that kind of thing).

I also got some custom cable combs from ShakMods. They were able to lasercut them to take the 28 wires, and all I paid was the same as any other of their ebay bundles.

AlSki.net 03-18-2020 01:39 PM

Next
Still need some more wire for the GPU 8 pin (and enough spare in case I upgrade and need another 6/8 pin)
Re-wiring fans
Replacing the cooler

and possibly cutting the case to pieces to get a 240mm radiator in without changing the overall dimensions!

iamjanco 03-18-2020 01:45 PM

like it--subbed :thumb:

AlSki.net 03-21-2020 12:17 PM

Planning, yes there has been some

1 Attachment(s)
Just in case you might think this is all a bit ad-hoc... Oh no, there has been some planning while I talked myself into tackling this.

AlSki.net 03-21-2020 12:29 PM

And now we resume our scheduled programing

4 Attachment(s)
Some more progress, firstly small Allen keys are really useful (Pic1). Not only for pushing the pins out of the power block, but also for pulling the wires into the right curves. I also found that having the cable combs half way around each bend (or at least the last few when you have quite so many on a run) holds the wires so they don't slip as you bend the next one.
(Pic 3) I could measure this or YOLO... that'll do.
(Pic 4) While I could just do a nice 90 degree bend against the cable combs for the inner radius, I found that pushing the cable towards the corner got me a nice outer radius.

AlSki.net 03-21-2020 12:33 PM

A new day dawns

1 Attachment(s)
"No dear, I am definitely not having breakfast with my wires..."

AlSki.net 03-21-2020 01:11 PM

Measure twice, cut once

2 Attachment(s)
Right so we have got this far (Pic1), and all the cables line up from start to end, apart from the pair I've tied together. Admittedly the bends into the PSU are currently approximate, because I was getting tired last night and needed coffee.

So first (Pic2) a quick check that even the shortest will reach (I already made that mistake on the 24 pin ATX)

AlSki.net 03-21-2020 01:16 PM

Measure twice, cut erm... twice

3 Attachment(s)
So obviously we can cut the wires to all match the length of the shortest. Then just a quick tidy up of the bends into the PSU and check it.
Oh, its too long...

Where did I put those wire cutters?

Gilles3000 03-21-2020 01:21 PM

Subbed! What kind of cable (and gauge) are you using? Don't think I've seen any that hold bends that well.