Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Graphics Cards - General (https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/)
-   -   CPU usage - 5700XT vs 2070 Super (https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-graphics-cards-general/1744378-cpu-usage-5700xt-vs-2070-super.html)

haefen 03-23-2020 01:40 AM

CPU usage - 5700XT vs 2070 Super
 
Hi,

I want to do an upgrade to my computer, GPU and monitor precisely:
1. monitor: 1080p, 144hz => 1440p, 144/165hz (depending, which monitor i will choose - LG 27GL850 or something from the IPS, 1440p, 165hz line-up)
2. gpu: RX580 8GB => 5700XT or 2070 super

I, currently, have i7-4790k running at 4.6ghz (could push to 4.7, but it needs >1.3v in my case, so for now i leave it alone), paired with 2400mhz cl11 RAM.
I've narrowed down my choice to 2 GPUs - 5700xt and 2070s.
Money is not really an issue, as I can afford all the options mentioned, but I'm trying to be reasonable and get the GPU, that will go better with my CPU and has the least problems possible.

My main questions is, since I couldn't find any comperhensive sources: Which of the 2 mentioned GPUs uses more CPU?
I remember a lot of API overhead benchmarks back in 2017 or something, when DX12, Vulkan, etc. were a new big thing and the topic was sexy.
Do you guys know a good source or data for this or canyou simply share you rexperience?

Thanks in advance!

rares495 03-23-2020 02:08 AM

The 2070 super is the more powerful card => will use more of the CPU due to the higher frame rate.

Pro tip: Buy Nvidia. Don't touch Navi with a 10 foot pole.

haefen 03-23-2020 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rares495 (Post 28378304)
The 2070 super is the more powerful card => will use more of the CPU due to the higher frame rate.

Pro tip: Buy Nvidia. Don't touch Navi with a 10 foot pole.

Value wise RAdeon seems better (i don't care about ray-tracing), but i read some ppl have some random problems with these radeons.
Main reason I am willing to pay premium for nvidia is to have care-free experience.

Rule of the thumb is more GPU power = more demand on the CPU.
And now, if 5700XT would bottleneck my CPU, then there is no reason to buy even more powerful card.

3 years ago I remember, that AMD cards were putting more stress on the CPU in the similar GPU performance scenario, compared to Nvidia.
I'm wondering if it's still the case, as this would give a bit more headroom for the extra 2070S performance.

Right now I am playing Modern Warfare (frame limit cap off) and with my RX580 i'm getting mostly 100-150 FPS with 100% GPU usage and average of 60% CPU usage. (1080p with 144hz)
I'm targetting similar performance on 1440p with a better graphics details and maybe closer to keeping framerate a bith higher and consistent around 144hz.
Using Variable Refresh probably will be an option, too.

rdr09 03-23-2020 03:25 AM

The 5700XT is about twice as fast as the 580. CPU usage with AMD cards has improved and has been addressed for quite sometime now.

PRO TIP: I own two NAVIs and no issues playing using 1440 single monitor. No HDR, Freesync and such, tho.

EDIT: You might want to also consider the RX 5700. A lot cheaper and should have no problems pushing a 1080 144Hz monitor. Here is comparison to give you an idea.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21783796/fs/21816346

Mine is a reference design and the fan is not that loud. Twice as fast but uses less power than my R9 290.

Ashura 03-23-2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haefen (Post 28378314)
Value wise RAdeon seems better (i don't care about ray-tracing), but i read some ppl have some random problems with these radeons.
Main reason I am willing to pay premium for nvidia is to have care-free experience.

Rule of the thumb is more GPU power = more demand on the CPU.
And now, if 5700XT would bottleneck my CPU, then there is no reason to buy even more powerful card.

3 years ago I remember, that AMD cards were putting more stress on the CPU in the similar GPU performance scenario, compared to Nvidia.
I'm wondering if it's still the case, as this would give a bit more headroom for the extra 2070S performance.

Right now I am playing Modern Warfare (frame limit cap off) and with my RX580 i'm getting mostly 100-150 FPS with 100% GPU usage and average of 60% CPU usage. (1080p with 144hz)
I'm targetting similar performance on 1440p with a better graphics details and maybe closer to keeping framerate a bith higher and consistent around 144hz.
Using Variable Refresh probably will be an option, too.

CPU utilization should be pretty much same for both 5700XT & 2070S & would also depend on the game.

Both Gpus are almost twice as fast as the Rx580. 5700Xt is generally better value for the money, But you may experience some driver related issues such as the black screen bug or stuttering.

I personally have had the blackscreen bug twice in 4 months. No stutter or any other issues.

Your CPU should be fine @ 1440p

Mr. Mojo 03-23-2020 04:34 AM

FWIW, Radeon drivers have come a long way in the past couple of months. With that said, some people are still reporting issues.

Bottom line - if money isn't an issue and you want a hassle-free experience, go with the 2070S. If you want to save a a hundred(ish) bucks or don't mind fiddling with drivers/settings, go with the 5700XT. Either option will be fine for high refresh 1440 with decent settings.

haefen 03-23-2020 05:47 AM

Yeah, this hassle free experience pushes me towards 2070S.

I have some problems with my RX580 already.
Even tho i have a high-end non-reference version (Aorus XTR), it had some problems with crashes.
The most ridiculous one is that i have to manually bump up core voltage, because the card itself sets the voltage too low to support stock clocks.
Using Afterburner and setting voltage and clocks to my liking there fixes the problem.
I decided to live with it and not RMA, because it pretty much solves this problem, but those are the things.

As for the price, I live in Poland and the price difference is that Gigabyte 2070S Gaming OC (which gets good reviews) costs 25% more (~500 EUR vs ~400 EUR), than good non-reference 5700XT.
So i credit a part of this difference to 10-15% more average performance and I think I'm willing to pay the rest of the premium for good experience and extra features (like RT, if i ever need it), which seems to be the case with 2070S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo (Post 28378348)
FWIW, Radeon drivers have come a long way in the past couple of months. With that said, some people are still reporting issues.

Bottom line - if money isn't an issue and you want a hassle-free experience, go with the 2070S. If you want to save a a hundred(ish) bucks or don't mind fiddling with drivers/settings, go with the 5700XT. Either option will be fine for high refresh 1440 with decent settings.

Kind of voice of reason I was looking for, thanks Mr. Mojo.
As mentioned above, I had to do a lot of fiddling with my RX580 and sometimes, i.e. after my computer comes up from sleep, Afterburner resets the settings (and voltages).
If I forget to check and apply my Afterburner profile before the game start, I sometimes end up getting a crash, which is frustrating in multiplayer games (getting thrown out of the match or something).

Btw Mojo, great choice for an avatar. :)
Seen Jinjer live last November, they are incredible. ^^


Thank you guys for clarification. :)

rdr09 03-23-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haefen (Post 28378394)
Yeah, this hassle free experience pushes me towards 2070S.

I have some problems with my RX580 already.
Even tho i have a high-end non-reference version (Aorus XTR), it had some problems with crashes.
The most ridiculous one is that i have to manually bump up core voltage, because the card itself sets the voltage too low to support stock clocks.
Using Afterburner and setting voltage and clocks to my liking there fixes the problem.
I decided to live with it and not RMA, because it pretty much solves this problem, but those are the things.

As for the price, I live in Poland and the price difference is that Gigabyte 2070S Gaming OC (which gets good reviews) costs 25% more (~500 EUR vs ~400 EUR), than good non-reference 5700XT.
So i credit a part of this difference to 10-15% more average performance and I think I'm willing to pay the rest of the premium for good experience and extra features (like RT, if i ever need it), which seems to be the case with 2070S.

Thank you guys for clarification. :)

I have a RX 570 and luckily never have that issue. I keep all my GPUs stock, tho. But, i think you made a good choice.

ZealotKi11er 03-23-2020 06:13 AM

I would not pay 25% more for 2070S. You will get 5-10% extra performance at most. Personally have no issues wit 5700 XT. If I had to get Nvidia I would get 2060S.

haefen 03-23-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdr09 (Post 28378422)
I have a RX 570 and luckily never have that issue. I keep all my GPUs stock, tho. But, i think you made a good choice.

Yeah.

Even tho it shows default 1150mV for the profile in Radeon Settings, the monitoring shows 1125...
It is not enough to support declared 1439mhz, even not enough to keep 1425 without crashes.
I have to go near 1200mV to support 1439mhz and even when setting +100mV in Afterburner it gives ~1225 max, which allows for a stable OC up to 1460-ish.
At least my memory runs at 9ghz... I bought it right after the relase for the retail price.
Should've sold it for almost twice more, when crypto mining boom started a month later. :P

But I haven't, because I just want to game in peace, when I feel like it, this is also why I am willing to pay extra, for bigger probability of not having to worry about anything. :P


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.