Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hard Drives & Storage (https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/)
-   -   Is it possible to predict when my SSD is going to fail ? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/1744476-possible-predict-when-my-ssd-going-fail.html)

OliverYY 03-24-2020 08:30 PM

Is it possible to predict when my SSD is going to fail ?

Hi,
I have heard that SSDs fail suddenly and without any warning.
Its been some years I purchased my SSD.
Is it possible to predict when my SSD is going to fail?

Asmodian 03-26-2020 06:39 PM

They can, though all drives can fail in the same way. A controller board can die suddenly for any reason. Early SSDs had more of these kinds of failures than HDDs of the time but they got much better quickly.

To check its health use something to check the SMART data. I like HWinfo for this. The sensors window should have a section for each drive with a "Drive Remaining Life" field. I would worry if this is below 100% by much at all. My 2TB Samsung 960 Pro purchased three years ago and used as my main game drive since still reports 100%.

skupples 03-26-2020 06:58 PM

I have 5+ year old 1TB units that claim to still be 99%

impossibru.

Asmodian 03-26-2020 07:25 PM

It is a report on the number of cells remapped so they usually start decreasing faster after it starts happening. It is time to worry when it starts going down faster.

skupples 03-26-2020 07:28 PM

my rule of thumb is to cycle them into my secondary storage pool, after ~5 years anywho.

4TB NVME system disk, 4TB SATA SSD hoarding disk.

then a 16TB usb-c i use to capture everything every once in awhile.

Paradigm Shifter 03-26-2020 08:33 PM

The only SSD I've had fail on me died with no warning whatsoever - died in the night about six months after I bought it. It's funny because I bought three of that particular drive and its two siblings are still going strong four years later.

I've got a range of SSDs, ranging from getting on 10 years old (Crucial C300) to a ones bought just a few months ago. All except that one dead Sandisk are still in (almost) daily use, although older ones are no longer in mission critical boxes.

So no, SSDs die with no warning. Although keeping an eye on their estimated lifespan can't hurt.

rares495 03-26-2020 08:37 PM

There is no way.

SSDs are silent so you won't be able to hear clicky noises like is the case with spinning ancient tech.

Write endurance is never as advertised, so that number's useless too.

SMART can help but most likely won't.

HWInfo can sometimes show some drive warnings, but for SSDs it does whatever it wants.

I guess the motherboard's BIOS sometimes fails to detect drives and maybe that could be a sign, but that's very unreliable because it could also be the port, cable, some firmware glitch, etc.

Awsan 03-27-2020 01:05 AM

I use hard disk sentinel and it's useful but it's really hard to predict these kind of things.

TheBDK 03-27-2020 01:29 AM

There is software that can tell you roughly. For example CrystalDiskInfo has a "health status" but most importantly, you can see if there has been any reallocated sectors or retired blocks. The latter is a sure sign of imminent failure soon(tm). My first ssd from 2014 is still working great. I've had plenty of hdd's that were performing great but just randomly died without any warning signs whatsoever. However my old Samsung F3 is still working and it's older than my first ssd by a couple of years.

rickhsk 04-14-2020 03:46 AM

Quote:

There is software that can tell you roughly. For example CrystalDiskInfo has a "health status" but most importantly, you can see if there has been any reallocated sectors or retired blocks. The latter is a sure sign of imminent failure soon(tm). My first ssd from 2014 is still working readvia great. I've had plenty of hdd's that were performing great but just randomly died without any warning signs whatsoever. However my old Samsung F3 is still working and it's older than my first ssd by a couple of years.
Is windows tool that optimizes external HDD is of any use? Does it increase HDD life or it's just a fancy tool?