Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   GPU Folding Teams (https://www.overclock.net/forum/289-gpu-folding-teams/)
-   -   GPU Team Competition Rules (https://www.overclock.net/forum/289-gpu-folding-teams/472596-gpu-team-competition-rules.html)

gibsonnova74 03-07-2009 11:42 AM

There are only a few rules for this competition, but they need to be stated none the less.

**This competition has 3 members per team.**

One card per team member
  • Each member is allowed one video card.
  • Each member is allowed one client per user name.
    If you have a video card with dual cores, you can only fold on one for this competition.

Substitutions

Substitutions will be permitted, but the team must follow these guidelines:

• The member requesting the substitution must be gone for a short time.
    Anything longer than 2 weeks, and the member should be replaced.
  • The substitution must be requested to the folding staff.
  • The new member must follow the same rule - one card/one client.
  • The team must notify the folding staff of the new team member and his/her team username.

ProjecT TimeZ 03-07-2009 11:52 AM

Sticky this.

mega_option101 03-08-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjecT TimeZ View Post
Sticky this.
Done

Ictinike 03-08-2009 06:50 AM

Aye.. Who are we if we don't have rules!

FOLD ON!

repo_man 03-08-2009 09:23 AM

Thanks Gibson!

XFreeRollerX 03-10-2009 03:09 PM

Something needs to be stated about the number of people in one team.

gibsonnova74 03-10-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
Something needs to be stated about the number of people in one team.
Thanks, I added that as well.

DennisC 03-17-2009 06:31 PM

It's ok to switch from my 8800GT to a GTX 260 right? I just wanted to make sure.

gibsonnova74 03-17-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
It's ok to switch from my 8800GT to a GTX 260 right? I just wanted to make sure.
As long as you notify us,(which you are doing now), that's fine.

DennisC 03-17-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
As long as you notify us,(which you are doing now), that's fine.
Ok, good. I'll be switching to it next week when it comes. I'm either selling the 8800GT or putting it in another rig to fold under my other name.

Ictinike 03-17-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
Ok, good. I'll be switching to it next week when it comes. I'm either selling the 8800GT or putting it in another rig to fold under my other name.
Woot! MOAR PPD!

Grats on the upgrade Dennis

nafljhy 04-16-2009 10:23 AM

i'd like to say that, i'm upgrading from my GTX+ to a GTX295, of course, only one client is being used for the comp.

Lyric 06-09-2009 02:20 PM

too bad there isn't a competition for multiple gpus

wierdo124 09-03-2009 08:29 AM

Just had a thought for multiple GPUs. What if we did allow multiple GPUs but they were capped like the SMP comp? They could be capped at like 6500...just a thought.

Also, please update the OP, we now have 3 members per team

Mikecdm 09-03-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124 View Post
Just had a thought for multiple GPUs. What if we did allow multiple GPUs but they were capped like the SMP comp? They could be capped at like 6500...just a thought.

Also, please update the OP, we now have 3 members per team
That would force everyone to buy another card and what would be the point if they are capped? The point of the gpu competition was to go all out and have no caps.

sdla4ever 09-03-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
That would force everyone to buy another card and what would be the point if they are capped? The point of the gpu competition was to go all out and have no caps.
Both points are valid, but it would open the comp up to ATI x2 card owners! which could make for some more teams!

repo_man 09-03-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
Both points are valid, but it would open the comp up to ATI x2 card owners! which could make for some more teams!
Nothing is restricting them from entering now. You can run a GX2 just the same as and ATI x2, you just can only have one client running. Nothing is excluding dualGPU-gpus (thats redundant isn't it? ) from folding. Naf is using his 295 remember?

bluedevil 09-03-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo_man View Post
Nothing is restricting them from entering now. You can run a GX2 just the same as and ATI x2, you just can only have one client running. Nothing is excluding dualGPU-gpus (thats redundant isn't it? ) from folding. Naf is using his 295 remember?
And remember currently Nvidia cards get tons more PPD than the ATI counterparts. I remember it was the other way around about 2 years back.

repo_man 09-03-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
And remember currently Nvidia cards get tons more PPD than the ATI counterparts. I remember it was the other way around about 2 years back.
Of course we're walking over ATI's bottom, that's why we're all running GTX200s LOL. (I wish they would get the [email protected] client setup better for ATI though...)

bluedevil 09-03-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo_man View Post
Of course we're walking over ATI's bottom, that's why we're all running GTX200s LOL. (I wish they would get the [email protected] client setup better for ATI though...)
I concur. Folding is Folding, no matter matter how small!

sdla4ever 09-03-2009 04:52 PM

but if we allow x2 users to fold with both cores and cap them they then could produce the cap without a problem and be a decent competitive team player. Understand?? kinda confusing to say lol.

Bu all the ATI guys who did wanna fold couldnt do to problems of producing enough well if we allow all the 4850x2 and 4870x2 to use both GPUS and cap them at 6500-7000, then hey maybe they will join and thus produce more teams and a better competition!

bluedevil 09-03-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:
but if we allow x2 users to fold with both cores and cap them they then could produce the cap without a problem and be a decent competitive team player. Understand?? kinda confusing to say lol.

Bu all the ATI guys who did wanna fold couldnt do to problems of producing enough well if we allow all the 4850x2 and 4870x2 to use both GPUS and cap them at 6500-7000, then hey maybe they will join and thus produce more teams and a better competition!
IMO, its way to much hassle to monitor. Let's keep it simple.

sdla4ever 09-03-2009 04:58 PM

very true lol!

repo_man 09-03-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

I see what you are saying sdla. However, I have to side with Mike that having capped GPUs seems to cut out the main purpose of the comp. It got started because GPU folders were tired of being capped in the main comp. Aside from that ideal, capping the GPUs (imho) would require a good bit of fine tuning on the part of the staff to figure out the 'sweet spot' for the cap.

Obviously the new folders would want to be capped high enough to be (at least somewhat) competitive. But where exactly does that lie with such power folders? Then would they think we were being fair with that? Would that make people want to open the comp up to [email protected]?

Just my two cents on a few things mate.

Edit: LOL, BD, you took everything I said in two paragraphs and made it one sentence.

BinaryBird 09-03-2009 11:44 PM

How about just letting them use both the cores? I know a 4870 x2 or a 4850x2 with both cores can produce just around 7k. With that they should feel competitive as well. Also around what a 260 would give you.

wierdo124 09-04-2009 10:21 AM

Agreed. 4870x2 only runs about 2500 per core though, so 5k not 7k.

manolith 10-27-2009 07:40 PM

will your PPD still go to ocn?

Mikecdm 10-27-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
will your PPD still go to ocn?
Yes, you still use the same folding name and team 37726. It's just a group of 3 people who's points are added up to see which team earns the most points. The only downside is if you have multiple clients. Only one video card is allowed for the competition. All other clients will need to fold under a different name, or you can make a new name just for the competition.

For example, my primary folding name is mikecdm. Then I made mikecdm2 for the orignal competition. Since I had extra cores that would yield me more than either of those two clients I switched the gpu over to mikecdm1 and everything else goes to my main name.

manolith 10-27-2009 07:57 PM

i see. eh i would love to team up with one of my 285s but i want to get to a million points first

rx7racer 05-26-2010 07:28 PM

So I'm going ahead and getting a new NV card with folding in mind..... What's allowed now in the comp?

Didn't wanna fold on my ATi after my 285 died so haven't kept too many tabs on this.

Ok, to the point, can I fold on a GTX 480 for the comp?

W4LNUT5 05-29-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7racer View Post
So I'm going ahead and getting a new NV card with folding in mind..... What's allowed now in the comp?

Didn't wanna fold on my ATi after my 285 died so haven't kept too many tabs on this.

Ok, to the point, can I fold on a GTX 480 for the comp?
They're supposed to be restructuring this comp so idk.

But according to the rules now, that card would be fine as long as its a single gpu (which it is)

rx7racer 05-30-2010 08:14 AM

Ok, thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure since it's the new boy in town and not as wide spread yet as the other cards. Just wasn't sure if they were maybe going to cap it or not.

W4LNUT5 05-30-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7racer View Post
Ok, thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure since it's the new boy in town and not as wide spread yet as the other cards. Just wasn't sure if they were maybe going to cap it or not.
Nah, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't cut the 4xx series out like that. If it produces PPD for OCN, then it should be allowed. I suspect most of this competition will shift with the arrival of the new series.