Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Keyboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/373-keyboards/)
-   -   [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Club - Because saving money is boring. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/373-keyboards/538389-official-mechanical-keyboard-club-because-saving-money-boring.html)

drjoey1500 01-02-2010 09:46 PM

Just got two Dell AT101W's. They're pretty nice, but kinda dirty. What should I use to clean them. Isopropyl alcohol? Definitely time for some mods. I'll probably dye them black, mod one to linear switches for gaming and leave one for typing.

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 09:58 PM

70%+ Isopropyl alky and Q-tips work like a charm on most any electronic equipment.

steven937595 01-02-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
70%+ Isopropyl alky and Q-tips work like a charm on most any electronic equipment.
some people say 70%+, others 90%+, i go with 90 to be on the safe side

Ragsters 01-02-2010 10:07 PM

i really want a mechanical keyboard but don't know which one to get. Do you guys recommend one over the other? Is the Das Keyboard Model S Professional the one to get?

drjoey1500 01-02-2010 10:07 PM

Cool thx I'll get them cleaned up soon . It's really weird typing on them. Its kinda loud. Even my laptop keys feel soft now .

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven937595 View Post
some people say 70%+, others 90%+, i go with 90 to be on the safe side
Yeah, I use some 91% stuff that I get at Walgreens, but 70% works just as well.

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post
i really want a mechanical keyboard but don't know which one to get. Do you guys recommend one over the other? Is the Das Keyboard Model S Professional the one to get?
It's complex. The Filco Majestouch is probably the "best" in most respects, or at least the fully featured models are. I've heard that Das is just meh, but it's still better than most rubber domes. If you want something cheaper the ABS M1 and Unicomp Customizer are good, and have contrasting feature sets. Finally, you could go vintage and pick up an IBM Model M or Dell AT101W on Ebay for $15-40 shipped.

Ragsters 01-02-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
It's complex. The Filco Majestouch is probably the "best" in most respects, or at least the fully featured models are. I've heard that Das is just meh, but it's still better than most rubber domes. If you want something cheaper the ABS M1 and Unicomp Customizer are good, and have contrasting feature sets. Finally, you could go vintage and pick up an IBM Model M or Dell AT101W on Ebay for $10-25 shipped.
Do you say it is complex because there are so many good ones or is it because different keyboards are for different needs? Is it impossible to say what is the best mechanical keyboard out right now?

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post
Do you say it is complex because there are so many good ones or is it because different keyboards are for different needs? Is it impossible to say what is the best mechanical keyboard out right now?
Exactly. Keyswitches are the biggest difference. Everyone likes different types of keyswitches. From what I can recall, there's:

Buckling spring
White/Black Alps
Cherry MX/ML Black, Blue, White, Brown, etc.

Each one has a different combination of clickyness, tactileness, and stiffness. Just about any keyswitch will feel better than a rubberdome, but you won't know which ones you prefer without trying them all.


There's also other things to consider. USB vs. PS/2 (PS/2 is preferred because it's a fraction faster and allows for NKRO, but USB is more convenient), matrix design (NKRO/6+4 (on USB) means all keys can register simultaneously, otherwise certain combinations may not work), sculped vs. flat (sculpted is usually more comfortable), number pad or no, backlighting or no, and construction quality. Everyone has their own preferences on most of these things as well.



The Filco Majestouch is probably the easiest to call "the best". It's sculpted (usually considered a good thing), can be ordered with any Cherry MX keyswitches, has the option of NKRO, you can get a tenkeyless version (no number pad), and has very good construction quality. The Cherry MX switches:
Cherry MX Black - Very stiff, tactile, but non-clicky. If you like a very stiff key this is a good choice, some people like them for gaming, others don't
Cherry MX Blue - Moderate, tactile, clicky. Often considered some of the best typing switches. If you type a lot and don't mind clicky noise this is a good choice.
Cherry MX Brown - Moderate, tactile, non-clicky. Somewhat of a compromise between the Blues and Blacks. Often chosen by gamers who don't like the stiff springs of Blacks, but don't want the clickyness of Blues.



However, sometimes a cheaper board will serve in the Filco's stead. If you want a sculpted keyboard with moderate stiffness keys that are clicky, you could pick up a used IBM Model M keyboard that will work almost/as/better than a Filco with Cherry MX Blues (depending on preference), for just $20-50 instead of $120+.



So it's complicated.

Ragsters 01-02-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Exactly. Keyswitches are the biggest difference. Everyone likes different types of keyswitches. From what I can recall, there's:

Buckling spring
White/Black Alps
Cherry MX/ML Black, Blue, White, Brown, etc.

Each one has a different combination of clickyness, tactileness, and stiffness. Just about any keyswitch will feel better than a rubberdome, but you won't know which ones you prefer without trying them all.


There's also other things to consider. USB vs. PS/2 (PS/2 is preferred because it's a fraction faster and allows for NKRO, but USB is more convenient), matrix design (NKRO/6+4 (on USB) means all keys can register simultaneously, otherwise certain combinations may not work), sculped vs. flat (sculpted is usually more comfortable), number pad or no, backlighting or no, and construction quality. Everyone has their own preferences on most of these things as well.



The Filco Majestouch is probably the easiest to call "the best". It's sculpted (usually considered a good thing), can be ordered with any Cherry MX keyswitches, has the option of NKRO, you can get a tenkeyless version (no number pad), and has very good construction quality. The Cherry MX switches:
Cherry MX Black - Very stiff, tactile, but non-clicky. If you like a very stiff key this is a good choice, some people like them for gaming, others don't
Cherry MX Blue - Moderate, tactile, clicky. Often considered some of the best typing switches. If you type a lot and don't mind clicky noise this is a good choice.
Cherry MX Brown - Moderate, tactile, non-clicky. Somewhat of a compromise between the Blues and Blacks. Often chosen by gamers who don't like the stiff springs of Blacks, but don't want the clickyness of Blues.



However, sometimes a cheaper board will serve in the Filco's stead. If you want a sculpted keyboard with moderate stiffness keys that are clicky, you could pick up a used IBM Model M keyboard that will work almost/as/better than a Filco with Cherry MX Blues (depending on preference), for just $20-50 instead of $120+.



So it's complicated.
Thanks so much for the info. +1 Rep


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.