Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Keyboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/373-keyboards/)
-   -   [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Club - Because saving money is boring. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/373-keyboards/538389-official-mechanical-keyboard-club-because-saving-money-boring.html)

drazah 07-11-2009 08:29 AM

Welcome to the Overclock Official Mechanical Keyboard Club.

:typer: Home to the loudest typers on Overclock. :typer:

This is a place where you can come and discuss anything and everything mechanical keyboard related.

Whether you want to speak with other enthusiasts and discuss new products, or if you want tips on building a custom keyboard, this is a great place to discuss the topic with other people, and maybe even learn something along the way.

The winners so far. (Click to show)

October 2012 - Gubz

November 2012 - Boost

December 2012U _AKIMbO_

January 2013 - nubbinator

February 2013 - mironccr345

March 2013 - eyesmiles

April 2013 - _AKIMbO_

May 2013 - jokrik 

June 2013 - TadZilla

July 2013 - megaforce93

August 2013 - nubbinator

September 2013 - HesterDW

October 2013 - nubbinator

November 2013 - jokrik

December 2013 - Badwrench

January 2014 - HPE1000 and Krullmeister

• Filco Majestouch 2 TKL w/ MX Blues 
  • Blue aluminum case
  • Blank keycaps

February 2014 - JayKthnx

March 2014 - Jixr

April 2014 - jdcarpe

May 2014 - HPE1000

June 2014 - Jixr

July 2014 - mark-thaddeus

August 2014 - Exfiltrate

September 2014 - topre

October 2014 HPE1000

November 2014 - razr m3

December 2014 - Jixr

January 2015 - HPE1000

February 2015 - euf0ria

March 2015 - Angrychair

• Sprit60 White PCB
  • Opaque acrylic plate
  • Cherry MX White switches w/ 78g gold springs, gold switch stickers and white LEDs
  • Cherry stabilizers w/ gold stabilizer bars
  • White PBT keycaps w/ clear O-rings
  • Clear acrylic Boomerang case
  • White USB cable w/ white MDPC sleeving and gold plated connectors
  • Poker II layout

Please feel free to use the sig link below (members on the list only):

I <3 Mechanical Keyboard

Code:

I <3 [URL=https://www.overclock.net/t/538389/mechanical-keyboard-club]Mechanical Keyboard[/URL]

If you're joining the club for the first time:

• If you are joining with one keyboard, you must submit the form and provide your own picture of it.
  • If you are joining with more than one keyboard, you must submit the form with your own picture of at least one of the boards, preferably all of them if possible.

If you're in the club already:

• If you want to edit your entry i.e. add or remove boards from your entry, you must submit the form with the list of all the boards you want next to your name not just the new ones. This is because the new copy of the form you submit will overwrite the previous one(s). So for example, if you're currently listed as owning a Ducky Shine 3, but you want to add a WASD V2 to your entry aswell, then you'd submit the form listing the Ducky Shine 3 and WASD V2.

The KOTM competition is currently on hold indefinitely until prizing and format changes are addressed.

KOTM Info (Click to show)
Keyboard of the Month is a competition where each month you can submit your votes for the coolest customised keyboards people have modified this month.

How The Competition Works:

• At the start of the month I create a Keyboard of the Month (KOTM) thread.
  • You can use the dedicated KOTM thread to post pictures of your keyboard that you are entering (optional) and to submit your entry for that month via the Google Docs form.
  • Entries are accepted up until the last week of the month, after which entries for that month are closed.
  • If more than 3 unique valid entries are submitted, then I will then put up a poll in that thread of all the submissions and the poll will stay up for the rest of the month to let people from all over the site vote. If the required number of entries is not met, the KOTM for that month will be cancelled and the KOTM will continue the following month.
  • After the voting closes, I will announce the winner on the first of the following month, their name will be added to the list of winners, a picture of their board put in the Mechanical Keyboard Club OP to show off their work, and they will be able to claim a limited edition OCN Keyboard of the Month keycap that you can see below.

Competition Rules:

• You must enter your own board, I reserve the right to ask for proof of ownership of any board I think may not belong to you.
  • You can enter as many times as you like per year with one board or different ones.
  • You can win at most three times in a single year, and not two months in a row
  • You can only win once with a given board, if you win twice with a board appearing to be the same, proof of the differences between the two will be required.
  • Only one image will be put up as your entry's poll picture, if you submit two images then I will pick which one.
  • You may change your entry once before the competition starts, any subsequent entries by you for that month will be ignored. Your entry cannot be changed once the poll is up.
  • You can request the poll picture in the KOTM thread be changed once.
  • I reserve the right to permanently exclude any people who's submissions break any of the competition rules or the OCN ToS e.g. submissions clearly meant to advertise.

Tips For Entering:

• Get inventive: you're unlikely to do well if you're just changing out a few keycaps
  • Provide a good picture: Your picture is what sells your entry to voters, so do your best to make it look good, for some tips see this thread.

How To Claim Your Prize If You Win:

If you win, I will send you a PM requesting the following information:

Quote:
  • Competition thread link:
  • Prize Won:
  • Full OCN Username:
  • Full Name:
  • Full Address & Post/Zip Code:
  • Tankguys Email Address:   

NOTE: You MUST create a Tankguys account and fill out your shipping info in the account info! If you don't, we cannot ship the prize out to you!

Upon receiving this information, staff will organise your prize to be sent out.

Trying to claim a prize when you haven't won the KOTM competition will get you banned from all future KOTM competitions.

The prize for the KOTM competition. (Click to show)

Good luck to all!

derek2esilent 07-11-2009 08:35 AM

ive got some old chicony clacky keys thing, its great!

Bazuny 07-11-2009 08:50 AM

I have a Super old Something over thingy i dunno what. It' s got the Keyboard port before PS. And It's Mechanical.

MijnWraak 07-11-2009 10:39 AM

(reply to post in Mechanical keyboard guide thread. That's gone off topic enough)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasdoh View Post
i have failed you all...

sorry, can i change titles of threads?
Yes you can change title. Edit original post, go to advanced edit, and change from there.

Halciet 07-11-2009 11:35 AM

I'll jump in, I guess. Filco Cherry Brown. I have a few pictures:

And one of the whole desk so you can get an idea of how big the keyboard really is; this is a 5" wide fold-up table.

Manyak 07-11-2009 06:15 PM

I'll post pics when I get back home next week

judasdoh 07-15-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halciet View Post
I'll jump in, I guess. Filco Cherry Brown. I have a few pictures:

And one of the whole desk so you can get an idea of how big the keyboard really is; this is a 5" wide fold-up table.

sexy pics

judasdoh 12-25-2009 02:47 AM

bump for more owners.

I miss my spring loaded keys...

I wish the Model-M wasn't so heavy, or I would have brought it here.

yawnbox 12-25-2009 01:38 PM

sign me up.

Maybe you should keep the name to 1 "z" (Mechanical Keyboard ownerzzz) so it doesn't look like owning a mechanical keyboard makes you sleepy lol

oh and make an OCN group for it...

BlackHoleSun 12-25-2009 02:47 PM

Sign me up please!

Filco Majestouch with Cherry Blues.
Italian Red Chassis with red ESC key and lavender WASD cluster.

Explicit 12-25-2009 02:57 PM

Sign me up!

Finally got a mechanical (and wired) keyboard!

(Both were Christmas Gifts (monitor and keyboard))

t3haxle 12-25-2009 05:12 PM

^I just purchased the same keyboard, sign me up

judasdoh 12-25-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawnbox View Post
sign me up.

Maybe you should keep the name to 1 "z" (Mechanical Keyboard ownerzzz) so it doesn't look like owning a mechanical keyboard makes you sleepy lol

oh and make an OCN group for it...
lol

done

how does one go about making an OCN group?

thanks for the post!

judasdoh 12-25-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHoleSun View Post
Sign me up please!

Filco Majestouch with Cherry Blues.
Italian Red Chassis with red ESC key and lavender WASD cluster.

I must say, that is beautiful.

its custom, yes?

thanks!

+rep for the keyboard

BlackHoleSun 12-25-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:
I must say, that is beautiful.

its custom, yes?

thanks!

+rep for the keyboard
All I did was order the Italian Red frame from Elitekeyboards.com along with the lavender keys, popped off the black ones, replaced and BAM! Done.

I wouldn't really call it custom, but I was tired of having a plain black keyboard, and I was almost tempted to go with a white Topre Realforce board, but it was just way out of my price range.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase though, as the Cherry Blues really make this keyboard come alive, and it has so much more tactile feel than any rubber dome that I have ever used.

lob3s 12-25-2009 10:12 PM

I'm in!
I don't have any pictures, but I have 4 IBM Model M's. (Thank you Craigslist!)

judasdoh 12-26-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lob3s View Post
I'm in!
I don't have any pictures, but I have 4 IBM Model M's. (Thank you Craigslist!)
haha

4?

ok your added!

thanks

Mike431635 12-26-2009 10:01 PM

Got mine for xmas and love it Just broke my left pinky knuckle though so I cant fully enjoy it for at least 6 weeks Filco Majestouch Tactile Click NKRO w/ Cherry Brown Switches

My dad also has an IBM model M at home he is gonna give me. Score!

Djghost454 12-26-2009 10:10 PM

Count me in. 1993 Model M. Missing the keycaps on both the alt keys.

Hoping to sell this soon and get a Deck Legend to fit my backlit peripherals fetish

judasdoh 12-26-2009 10:45 PM

ok list updated!

thanks for the replies!

yawnbox 12-27-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:
lol

done

how does one go about making an OCN group?

thanks for the post!
right.. um go here: https://www.overclock.net/groups/
and click create group below..

_Marvin_ 12-27-2009 02:51 AM

Count me in. 1996 Model M. Missing the keycap on the right Ctrl key. No Windows button for me, mine is Finish or something like that, weird symbols and placement, but still better than anything else out there

judasdoh 12-27-2009 03:58 AM

https://www.overclock.net/groups/mech...oard-club.html

and _Marvin_ your added!

judasdoh 12-29-2009 11:26 PM

bump, I know there are more users out there!

Phaedrus2129 12-29-2009 11:32 PM

Just got my 1988 IBM Model M. I'll take pics tomorrow.

EDIT: Aw, I missed my board's 21st birthday! It was made 9 December, 1988, so 21 years and a couple weeks ago. I guess I'll make up for missing its 21st by giving it a good drink of isopropyl alcohol to get all the gunk out.

clownfart 12-30-2009 12:28 AM

Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless NKRO

Cherry MX Brown switches, and blank key caps + red Esc key. I also have an ABS M1, with a red Esc key.

judasdoh 12-30-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Just got my 1988 IBM Model M. I'll take pics tomorrow.

EDIT: Aw, I missed my board's 21st birthday! It was made 9 December, 1988, so 21 years and a couple weeks ago. I guess I'll make up for missing its 21st by giving it a good drink of isopropyl alcohol to get all the gunk out.
haha, I think you have the oldest Model M here!

nice!

judasdoh 12-30-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfart View Post
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless NKRO

Cherry MX Brown switches, and blank key caps + red Esc key. I also have an ABS M1, with a red Esc key.
its so pretty!!111

added.

GoHigh 12-30-2009 01:02 AM

I'm in... Manyak got me interested in Mechanicals few months ago, and I am starting to have my share of collections... So far...

1. Filco TenKeyless White Alps

2. ABS M1 Black Alps

3. IBM Model M Buckling Spring

4. Dell AT101W Black Alps

5. Cherry G80-3000 with MX Blue

6. iOne Scorpius M10 with MX Blue (My Favorite! Non of the build issues reported by others)

7. Cherry MY7000 with Card Reader (x2) from VCheeze (My least favorite, but I am using it for my server with old card for password)

8. SIIG Minitouch with White Alps.

Looking to get another Filco with MX Blue this time for my next purchase.

judasdoh 12-30-2009 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHigh View Post
I'm in... Manyak got me interested in Mechanicals few months ago, and I am starting to have my share of collections... So far...

1. Filco TenKeyless White Alps

2. ABS M1 Black Alps

3. IBM Model M Buckling Spring

4. Dell AT101W Black Alps

5. Cherry G80-3000 with MX Blue

6. iOne Scorpius M10 with MX Blue (My Favorite! Non of the build issues reported by others)

7. Cherry MY7000 with Card Reader (x2) from VCheeze (My least favorite, but I am using it for my server with old card for password)

8. SIIG Minitouch with White Alps.

Looking to get another Filco with MX Blue this time for my next purchase.
my dear god man!

so many!

高, 为啥用那个字呢?

mightyheysu 12-30-2009 01:21 AM

Wow guys! There are people with some nice keyboards here!!

MLJS54 12-30-2009 05:17 AM

Steelseries 7G:

P.S. the LEDs on this thing are prison yard flashlight bright

judasdoh 12-30-2009 05:28 AM

updated, MLJS54 your added

and how do you like the 7g [minus the bright lights]?

MLJS54 12-30-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:
updated, MLJS54 your added

and how do you like the 7g [minus the bright lights]?
So far so good, the bright lights don't really bother me . Although I don't want to post a formal review of my experience with it until a week or so after using it - I just got it yesterday. The real deciding factor is going to be: is it THAT much better than using a regular M or something along those lines to warrant its $150 price tag?

Couple quick things:

If you have a heavy hand like me the cherry blacks are surprisingly pleasant to type on

The integrated sloped palm rest "shroud" or w/e you want to call it is really comfortable

clownfart 12-30-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post
So far so good, the bright lights don't really bother me . Although I don't want to post a formal review of my experience with it until a week or so after using it - I just got it yesterday. The real deciding factor is going to be: is it THAT much better than using a regular M or something along those lines to warrant its $150 price tag?

Couple quick things:

If you have a heavy hand like me the cherry blacks are surprisingly pleasant to type on

The integrated sloped palm rest "shroud" or w/e you want to call it is really comfortable
Yeah I wish Filcos came with something like that. Instead I ordered the leather Filco rest. Not cheap but it fits the tenkeyless. If I had a full size I think I would of tried to get a Steelseries one.

MLJS54 12-30-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah I wish Filcos came with something like that. Instead I ordered the leather Filco rest. Not cheap but it fits the tenkeyless. If I had a full size I think I would of tried to get a Steelseries one.
I had a similar issue when I had my Tenkeyless cherry brown - when I raised that question on geekhack, folks highly recommended the official Filco leather rest despite its price tag. Again though, this is one of my problems with elitekeyboards, great retailer but they do not offer a satisfaction guarantee policy (guessing because of the company size and the already small margin they make on the sales) so if you don't personally find the rest comfortable, you have to resell it at a loss

Phaedrus2129 12-30-2009 08:23 AM

This camera is ****.

It can't focus on anything closer than about two feet. Keyboard still rocks, though.

judasdoh 12-30-2009 05:52 PM

I like it!

reminds me of mine back in America

*sigh* only 6 more months...

Su77en187 12-31-2009 02:36 AM

I just got my Filco with Cherry MX Blue switches! I'm loving it so far. Have to be honest though, it's pretty loud, but the clicks are very satisfying, haha.

Add me to the list please! I will add pics tomorrow! Thanks!

GoHigh 12-31-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su77en187 View Post
I just got my Filco with Cherry MX Blue switches! I'm loving it so far. Have to be honest though, it's pretty loud, but the clicks are very satisfying, haha.

Add me to the list please! I will add pics tomorrow! Thanks!
You think the blues are loud... Try the White Alps version... LOL...

It makes my blues sound quiet compared to it. Not only is it loud, it also requires some heavy pressure for actuation, making your fingers and arms tired after about two pages of continuous typing.

drjoey1500 01-02-2010 09:46 PM

Just got two Dell AT101W's. They're pretty nice, but kinda dirty. What should I use to clean them. Isopropyl alcohol? Definitely time for some mods. I'll probably dye them black, mod one to linear switches for gaming and leave one for typing.

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 09:58 PM

70%+ Isopropyl alky and Q-tips work like a charm on most any electronic equipment.

steven937595 01-02-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:
70%+ Isopropyl alky and Q-tips work like a charm on most any electronic equipment.
some people say 70%+, others 90%+, i go with 90 to be on the safe side

Ragsters 01-02-2010 10:07 PM

i really want a mechanical keyboard but don't know which one to get. Do you guys recommend one over the other? Is the Das Keyboard Model S Professional the one to get?

drjoey1500 01-02-2010 10:07 PM

Cool thx I'll get them cleaned up soon . It's really weird typing on them. Its kinda loud. Even my laptop keys feel soft now .

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven937595 View Post
some people say 70%+, others 90%+, i go with 90 to be on the safe side
Yeah, I use some 91% stuff that I get at Walgreens, but 70% works just as well.

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragsters View Post
i really want a mechanical keyboard but don't know which one to get. Do you guys recommend one over the other? Is the Das Keyboard Model S Professional the one to get?
It's complex. The Filco Majestouch is probably the "best" in most respects, or at least the fully featured models are. I've heard that Das is just meh, but it's still better than most rubber domes. If you want something cheaper the ABS M1 and Unicomp Customizer are good, and have contrasting feature sets. Finally, you could go vintage and pick up an IBM Model M or Dell AT101W on Ebay for $15-40 shipped.

Ragsters 01-02-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:
It's complex. The Filco Majestouch is probably the "best" in most respects, or at least the fully featured models are. I've heard that Das is just meh, but it's still better than most rubber domes. If you want something cheaper the ABS M1 and Unicomp Customizer are good, and have contrasting feature sets. Finally, you could go vintage and pick up an IBM Model M or Dell AT101W on Ebay for $10-25 shipped.
Do you say it is complex because there are so many good ones or is it because different keyboards are for different needs? Is it impossible to say what is the best mechanical keyboard out right now?

Phaedrus2129 01-02-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:
Do you say it is complex because there are so many good ones or is it because different keyboards are for different needs? Is it impossible to say what is the best mechanical keyboard out right now?
Exactly. Keyswitches are the biggest difference. Everyone likes different types of keyswitches. From what I can recall, there's:

Buckling spring
White/Black Alps
Cherry MX/ML Black, Blue, White, Brown, etc.

Each one has a different combination of clickyness, tactileness, and stiffness. Just about any keyswitch will feel better than a rubberdome, but you won't know which ones you prefer without trying them all.

There's also other things to consider. USB vs. PS/2 (PS/2 is preferred because it's a fraction faster and allows for NKRO, but USB is more convenient), matrix design (NKRO/6+4 (on USB) means all keys can register simultaneously, otherwise certain combinations may not work), sculped vs. flat (sculpted is usually more comfortable), number pad or no, backlighting or no, and construction quality. Everyone has their own preferences on most of these things as well.

The Filco Majestouch is probably the easiest to call "the best". It's sculpted (usually considered a good thing), can be ordered with any Cherry MX keyswitches, has the option of NKRO, you can get a tenkeyless version (no number pad), and has very good construction quality. The Cherry MX switches:
Cherry MX Black - Very stiff, tactile, but non-clicky. If you like a very stiff key this is a good choice, some people like them for gaming, others don't
Cherry MX Blue - Moderate, tactile, clicky. Often considered some of the best typing switches. If you type a lot and don't mind clicky noise this is a good choice.
Cherry MX Brown - Moderate, tactile, non-clicky. Somewhat of a compromise between the Blues and Blacks. Often chosen by gamers who don't like the stiff springs of Blacks, but don't want the clickyness of Blues.

However, sometimes a cheaper board will serve in the Filco's stead. If you want a sculpted keyboard with moderate stiffness keys that are clicky, you could pick up a used IBM Model M keyboard that will work almost/as/better than a Filco with Cherry MX Blues (depending on preference), for just $20-50 instead of $120+.

So it's complicated.

Ragsters 01-02-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Keyswitches are the biggest difference. Everyone likes different types of keyswitches. From what I can recall, there's:

Buckling spring
White/Black Alps

Each one has a different combination of clickyness, tactileness, and stiffness. Just about any keyswitch will feel better than a rubberdome, but you won't know which ones you prefer without trying them all.

There's also other things to consider. USB vs. PS/2 (PS/2 is preferred because it's a fraction faster and allows for NKRO, but USB is more convenient), matrix design (NKRO/6+4 (on USB) means all keys can register simultaneously, otherwise certain combinations may not work), sculped vs. flat (sculpted is usually more comfortable), number pad or no, backlighting or no, and construction quality. Everyone has their own preferences on most of these things as well.

The Filco Majestouch is probably the easiest to call "the best". It's sculpted (usually considered a good thing), can be ordered with any Cherry MX keyswitches, has the option of NKRO, you can get a tenkeyless version (no number pad), and has very good construction quality. The Cherry MX switches:
Cherry MX Black - Very stiff, tactile, but non-clicky. If you like a very stiff key this is a good choice, some people like them for gaming, others don't
Cherry MX Blue - Moderate, tactile, clicky. Often considered some of the best typing switches. If you type a lot and don't mind clicky noise this is a good choice.
Cherry MX Brown - Moderate, tactile, non-clicky. Somewhat of a compromise between the Blues and Blacks. Often chosen by gamers who don't like the stiff springs of Blacks, but don't want the clickyness of Blues.

However, sometimes a cheaper board will serve in the Filco's stead. If you want a sculpted keyboard with moderate stiffness keys that are clicky, you could pick up a used IBM Model M keyboard that will work almost/as/better than a Filco with Cherry MX Blues (depending on preference), for just $20-50 instead of $120+.

So it's complicated.
Thanks so much for the info. +1 Rep

tombom 01-02-2010 11:27 PM

In! Just got a Model M13. Thing is really cool.

drjoey1500 01-02-2010 11:36 PM

Hey just wondering, is there a mod I can do to make the at101w's quieter? I noticed most of the noise isn't the keyswitch, it's the key physically hitting the board. Any ideas? Or will I learn to type without bottoming the keys out eventually?

tombom 01-02-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post
Hey just wondering, is there a mod I can do to make the at101w's quieter? I noticed most of the noise isn't the keyswitch, it's the key physically hitting the board. Any ideas? Or will I learn to type without bottoming the keys out eventually?
If you really wanted to, you could take off all the keys and put down some sort of foam mat to silence the keys hitting the floor, but I think that would sort of ruin the whole thing.

clownfart 01-03-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Buckling spring
White/Black Alps

So it's complicated.
Cherry MX Black switches are not tactile. They're linear.

Here's a diagram

Those are the common MX switches.

Also Model M's don't have sculpted key caps, but the actual keyboard is curved. The Das uses Blues switches, and the silent Das uses Brown switches. Another thing to note is Elite Keyboards has special made Filcos with blue switches. They also have some with blank key caps.

I like brown switches, much better than the ABS M1, which has heavy tactile switches.

drjoey1500 01-04-2010 01:43 AM

lol have any of you tried typing on the bare switches? It is somehow satisfying. I gutted one of my two dells and just finished making the switches linear. I'm typing on it right now, just the board and the switches, no plastic connected. I'll do some more mods, but so far I like the feel of the linear switches, especially for the brief gaming I did.

It's kinda hard to type on this at first, but after a while I'm starting to get it with less errors. The tiny spacebar and shift keys take a few minutes to get used to.

Ragsters 01-05-2010 08:51 AM

Hey guys! Today is my birthday and my wife surprised me with a Das Professional S. I want in! Thanks!

IEATFISH 01-05-2010 08:57 AM

In, Filco Majestouch Touch Click NKRO.

Ragsters 01-05-2010 12:10 PM

What kind of wrist pad do you guys recommend for your mechanical keyboard? I just got the Das Model S and it is a little high.

clownfart 01-05-2010 12:46 PM

I ordered the leather Filco one. Haven't got it yet, it just got passed customs. Looks really good and a lot of people like it. These seems to be popular too.

Here and here is some good info about wrist rests.

prest1ge 01-05-2010 04:44 PM

I have a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Otaku (Cherry MX Brown) coming in.

Should arrive in 2 days. I'll keep you guys posted. In the mean time, I'm looking for a wrist pad b/c I'm not convinced that I should buy the Filco one which costs 1/3 the price of the keyboard

clownfart 01-05-2010 06:36 PM

Just got the Filco palm rest in. It's very well made and looks great, sexy leather. It's stiffer than I expected it to be, and I'm glad. I didn't want a soft rest. Maybe not worth $42 to some, or the $70 I payed to have it shipped to Canada.

Su77en187 01-05-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHigh View Post
You think the blues are loud... Try the White Alps version... LOL...

It makes my blues sound quiet compared to it. Not only is it loud, it also requires some heavy pressure for actuation, making your fingers and arms tired after about two pages of continuous typing.
Hahaha! Well I guess I got use to it, because it's not as loud as I thought it was. I was actually going for the Black switches but since it was more stiff than the Blues, I thought it'd take more effort to type making my hands fatigue like my old keyboard.

judasdoh 01-05-2010 07:01 PM

list updated

thanks for the responses guys!

Manyak 01-05-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post
Yeah, you'll eventually learn how to not bottom out. With me it actually took a bit of effort (I started by typing really slow to get a feel for when the switch actuated and went from there), but with most people it'll just come naturally.

But of course, even then, you're still going to bottom out a key here and there (it's impossible to be absolutely perfect).

wonderlust 01-06-2010 01:28 AM

May I join

I have 3 old IBM Model Ms

Although I only have 3 feet between all three keyboards, so if anyone knows where I can buy some replacements...

Ragsters 01-06-2010 08:56 AM

I am really happy with my das model s but it seems like most people here get a Filco. Is the Filco that mucj better? Should I return my Das and get one?

clownfart 01-06-2010 11:31 AM

They use the same switches. I'd say they're pretty similar. Though the Filcos also come with browns or blacks.

Here's a pretty good versus, also be sure to check the discussion tab.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6300

Ragsters 01-06-2010 12:28 PM

I really like the media keys and the actual look of the das better. Although mechanical keyboard gurus might pick the filco over the das, I feel this was a great decision for me especially being my first mechanical keyboard.

Manyak 01-06-2010 03:06 PM

Well as long as you aren't getting any key transposition errors (like "the" becoming "teh") then you're perfectly fine with the Das. That's the only problem with it, but it only happens if you're a fast typer.

Ragsters 01-06-2010 06:07 PM

Do you guys recommend me using the ps/2 adapter?

IEATFISH 01-06-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:
Do you guys recommend me using the ps/2 adapter?
Yes, using USB limits the amount of key presses that can register at once. Also, the computer must poll the USB for keys whereas PS/2 stops the computer to say "Hey, button press here".

clownfart 01-06-2010 06:30 PM

Red Esc keys

Derp 01-06-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:
Red Esc keys

Does your ABS M1 suffer from the fail rollover problem i keep reading about?

IEATFISH 01-06-2010 06:33 PM

I had an M1 for a couple weeks. Keys started dying on my. When space stopped working everyone other click, I had to return it. Went with the Filco and am very impressed with the quality difference between the two.

clownfart 01-06-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auld View Post
Does your ABS M1 suffer from the fail rollover problem i keep reading about?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
I had an M1 for a couple weeks. Keys started dying on my. When space stopped working everyone other click, I had to return it. Went with the Filco and am very impressed with the quality difference between the two.
Only my space key stops working occasionally. Not really sure why it does that.

IEATFISH 01-06-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Only my space key stops working occasionally. Not really sure why it does that.
Yeah, it ruined any gaming since I would only jump about half the time and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't rocket jump in TF2 (jump and shoot ground). Luckily Newegg gave me a full refund.

Ragsters 01-06-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Yes, using USB limits the amount of key presses that can register at once. Also, the computer must poll the USB for keys whereas PS/2 stops the computer to say "Hey, button press here".
Ok. Do you know which usb cable I need to put the adapter on? One cable powers up the two usb inputs on the keyboard and the other cable is for the keyboard.

Edit: I figured it out. The cable that says HUB is for the usb inputs on the keyboard.

tombom 01-06-2010 07:21 PM

I have this M13 but it's not really the greatest for gaming. The control/space keys are uncomfortable for hitting while playing and the keys are kind of fatiguing to press. Any keyboards with quiet keys, and a little less fatigue? And good for gaming?

headcase9 01-06-2010 07:25 PM

I have the ABS M1. The first one I got had a pretty big problem with the space key sticking, it made games unplayable. I sent it back in for a replacement with no problems.

This one I have currently has lasted 6 months so far with absolutely no problems. I love the sound the keys make, I love the weight of the board, and I love response.

tombom 01-06-2010 07:49 PM

I Was thinking about the M1. I might get it somewhere down the road when I have some extra money.

Phaedrus2129 01-06-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombom View Post
I have this M13 but it's not really the greatest for gaming. The control/space keys are uncomfortable for hitting while playing and the keys are kind of fatiguing to press. Any keyboards with quiet keys, and a little less fatigue? And good for gaming?
How much are you looking to spend?

The ABS M1 fits that criteria for around $50, but a percentage of them have some serious QC problems.

If you're willing to go up to the $100 range there are Das, Deck, and Filco keyboards. The Filco Majestouch 104-key non-NKRO with Cherry MX Brown switches would work for you for $110 once they come back in stock; the NKRO version (any combination of key presses will work) is $135. Das keyboards are good too, but they click. Deck keyboards are backlit. Most versions come with Cherry MX Black switches, which don't click but are very stiff, take a lot of effort to push. There is one version with Cherry MX Browns (light, no click) but it's $170. There's also the Steelseries 7G which has the Cherry Blacks.

Derp 01-06-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase9 View Post
I have the ABS M1. The first one I got had a pretty big problem with the space key sticking, it made games unplayable. I sent it back in for a replacement with no problems.

This one I have currently has lasted 6 months so far with absolutely no problems. I love the sound the keys make, I love the weight of the board, and I love response.
How is your rollover with the new one? for an example can you play a first person shooter and hold:

Hold W to move forward
Hold A to move diagonal
Hold Ctrl to crouch
and finally will R actually work and reload?

I want to pick one up and really thats all the rollover i would need. My $15 logitech board does this just fine.

Manyak 01-06-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auld View Post
How is your rollover with the new one? for an example can you play a first person shooter and hold:

Hold W to move forward
Hold A to move diagonal
Hold Ctrl to crouch
and finally will R actually work and reload?

I want to pick one up and really thats all the rollover i would need. My $15 logitech board does this just fine.
Most boards, mechanical or not, can do WASD gaming. The Model M's matrix (which can handle it) is considered the reference matrix for non-NKRO boards. Not everyone actually uses it, but most do (at least on standard 101/104 key keyboards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombom View Post
Cherry Browns or Black Alps are your two best bets, Cherry Browns being nicer to type on IMO. So you want a Filco, iRocks KR-6230, ABS M1, or any number of older boards if you want to try them out for extra cheap first.

drjoey1500 01-06-2010 11:22 PM

Oh wow, just ran across this. That would be pure awesomeness. I don't get why they are so rare, it's an awesome idea.

IEATFISH 01-10-2010 01:09 PM

Anyone looking for custom keycaps for their Cherry switches, see here:

https://www.overclock.net/computer-pe...ease-read.html

soloz2 01-10-2010 04:09 PM

I just ordered a FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK, can't wait!

RayvinAzn 01-10-2010 11:53 PM

Guess I'll have a few firsts in this thread.

I've got a Deck Legend Frost for my main setup.

On a slightly more useless note I have an original Macintosh Keyboard (M0110) which I believe actually uses some sort of capacitive switch. I can't use it unfortunately, since it uses some type of RJ-12(?) connector for output. I've also got the matching keypad (M0120).

I've also got an Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116) that uses ADB and has a slightly wonky layout, as well as an Apple Extended Keyboard (M0115), which I love especially due to the locking Caps-lock key.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Realforce 103UB, and I'd like to give a Cherry MX Blue-based board a spin as well.

yellowtoblerone 01-11-2010 06:32 AM

Speaking of those:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Made-Ebon...item1e582b1853

MX browns, guess how much they are.

PropNut 01-18-2010 03:48 PM

My mechanical keyboard: Dell AT101W-Steampunked.

And of course the PC that it belongs to:

judasdoh 01-19-2010 02:14 AM

ping jing

peace and quiet.

nice

i love the keyboard!

technoredneck95 01-19-2010 06:31 PM

Sign me up! Just got a Filco Majestouch NKRO with Cherry MX blue switches. This is my first mechanical keyboard and I am never looking back. I love it.

soloz2 01-19-2010 07:08 PM

I'd like to join with my Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Otaku Cherry MX Brown

crashed97tsi 01-20-2010 04:55 PM

I'd also like to join, Filco NKRO 104 key with Cherry MX blue switches and a Chicony workhorse that I need to repair.

calavera 01-20-2010 05:16 PM

here's a custom filco for ya nothing special on the outside.

what it is:
started off as a full size brown switch filco. sawed off to be a space saver. capslock has led installed on the key cap. (not done by me, had it done by someone who "specializes" in these things)

remember, this was before filco came out with space savers. so roughly 3 years ago I would say.

uses 55g pressure springs from brown switch with black switch housing. its pretty much a black switch keyboard but with way lighter pressure. doesnt have the brown switch resistance feel to it at all. its hard to explain.

except keycaps that aren't compatible, the rest of the keycaps were switched out from a mx-8000. way better than laser etched key caps. these keycaps will not fade over time

also have a white cherry 1800 with the above hybrid switch and keycaps setup and a white/brown switch hybrid as well.

but currently I moved onto realforce U86 tenkey-less. never looked back.

soloz2 01-20-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calavera View Post
here's a custom filco for ya nothing special on the outside.

what it is:
started off as a full size brown switch filco. sawed off to be a space saver. capslock has led installed on the key cap. (not done by me, had it done by someone who "specializes" in these things)

remember, this was before filco came out with space savers. so roughly 3 years ago I would say.

uses 55g pressure springs from brown switch with black switch housing. its pretty much a black switch keyboard but with way lighter pressure. doesnt have the brown switch resistance feel to it at all. its hard to explain.

except keycaps that aren't compatible, the rest of the keycaps were switched out from a mx-8000. way better than laser etched key caps. these keycaps will not fade over time

also have a white cherry 1800 with the above hybrid switch and keycaps setup and a white/brown switch hybrid as well.

but currently I moved onto realforce U86 tenkey-less. never looked back.
if you still have the FILCO keycaps I'm interested in purchasing them if you're willing to let them go.

getllamasfast 01-21-2010 12:20 AM

I'm in!
Got me a Filco Tenkeyless Otaku Cherry Blue!

@yellowtoblerone

smash_mouth01 01-21-2010 01:42 AM

I'm in here's mine a Chicony KB-7001, plus a paint job and a PS2 rewiring.

jimwest 01-24-2010 11:06 PM

I'm using a Cherry G81-7000 that I bought from vcheez. I was hoping to try out another keyboard. Right now it's between a Model M (buckling I think) and Dell 101 (alps?). There's also an old Packard Bell model but I'm not sure what kind of mechanism it uses. Does anyone know?

Izvire 01-25-2010 06:40 AM

Add me, Steelseries 7g, best keyboard I've ever used

flamingoyster 01-29-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoredneck95 View Post
Sign me up! Just got a Filco Majestouch NKRO with Cherry MX blue switches. This is my first mechanical keyboard and I am never looking back. I love it.
Literally the same with me! My filco majestouch nkro cherry mx blue just got here today sign me up for the club!