Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   RAID Controllers and Software (https://www.overclock.net/forum/320-raid-controllers-software/)
-   -   FIX: AHCI/SATA drives showing in "Safely Remove Hardware" (https://www.overclock.net/forum/320-raid-controllers-software/974023-fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-safely-remove-hardware.html)

t0adphr0g 03-25-2011 03:27 AM

Ever since I set my BIOS to AHCI, I was plagued with my SATA connected drives showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.

I understand that eSata, and USB devices should show up there. However, my internal devices, HDDs, CD/DVD/BluRay are showing up as well.

I didn't want to have to reinstall Windows 7, and set BIOS to SATA/RAID.
I wanted a better solution.
I found it!


This is a Registry fix.
You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...
Here we go...

Regedit your way to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ services\ msahci
and create a new KEY called "Controller0"
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel0"
Now inside Channel0, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 0 (Drive C)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

Now, go back into the Controller0 folder again.
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel1"
Now inside Channel1, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 1 (Drive D)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

And so on, until all internal SATA ports are set to be treated as Internal.
My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so I have set Channel0 to Channel5.

Here is an example of my registry change:

AHCIregedit.png

Your motherboard may have more or less SATA ports,
just remember to start with 0
6 Ports = 0-5 etc.

Now Reboot to allow changes.

Hooray! only external devices show up now!

the_beast 03-25-2011 04:11 AM

Nice guide, and useful.

The only thing I would change is this bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g;12863711 
If you are unfamiliar with changing your registry, back up your registry before proceeding.

You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...

t0adphr0g 03-25-2011 04:32 AM

@the_beast
Thank you, I knew I needed to word that better.

Your input has been added.

the_beast 03-25-2011 04:48 AM

smile.gif

vicrol123 04-04-2011 06:01 PM

work if I have a controller card for the raid?

Regards!

therock003 05-20-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g;12863711 
Ever since I set my BIOS to AHCI, I was plagued with my SATA connected drives showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.

I understand that eSata, and USB devices should show up there. However, my internal devices, HDDs, CD/DVD/BluRay are showing up as well.

I didn't want to have to reinstall Windows 7, and set BIOS to SATA/RAID.
I wanted a better solution.
I found it!


This is a Registry fix.
You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...
Here we go...

Regedit your way to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ services\ msahci
and create a new KEY called "Controller0"
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel0"
Now inside Channel0, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 0 (Drive C)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

Now, go back into the Controller0 folder again.
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel1"
Now inside Channel1, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 1 (Drive D)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

And so on, until all internal SATA ports are set to be treated as Internal.
My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so I have set Channel0 to Channel5.

Here is an example of my registry change:

AHCIregedit.png

Your motherboard may have more or less SATA ports,
just remember to start with 0
6 Ports = 0-5 etc.

Now Reboot to allow changes.

Hooray! only external devices show up now!

Does this work the opposite way as well? Can i create this setting in order to make external drives appear in safely remove by setting the option "1"? Cause i dont get the safely remove for the eSata drive i have connected...

Also can i use safely remove on internal drives as well if AHCI is not enabled? Can this be done, and is it safe?

therock003 08-31-2011 02:25 PM

I tried setting the value to 0 so that my esata drive gets the safe remove option and it didnt work. Any other way to do this? As i said i'm looking for the oppsoite effect so that i can safely remove esata drives on Windows.

Zeus 09-03-2011 04:14 AM

Nice info t0adphr0g

t0adphr0g 09-05-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrol123;13002759 
work if I have a controller card for the raid?

Regards!

I created this fix with only the motherboard SATA stack in mind, Windows MSAHCI sees it as Controller 0. Does it see your RAID card as Controller 1? Then make a key accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock003;13574068 
Does this work the opposite way as well? Can i create this setting in order to make external drives appear in safely remove by setting the option "1"? Cause i dont get the safely remove for the eSata drive i have connected...

Also can i use safely remove on internal drives as well if AHCI is not enabled? Can this be done, and is it safe?

1. As far as your eSata drive, if it is plugged into SATA ports 0-6, and you want it to still be treated as external, then change the value to "0".

2. My "fix" is for systems that are running AHCI. If you are not running AHCI, this fix is not for you.

B-Con 09-11-2011 11:21 AM

.
My drives no longer appeared in the Safely Remove Hardware icon after installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology...

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Download

IRST also installs the Intel AHCI driver (as opposed to the generic Microsoft one), notifies you of any storage system errors, and offers several other benefits...

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Product Overview
.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.