Gaming
Status
Currently Owned
Date Created
12-19-2017 02:27 PM
Date Modified
03-15-2019 07:23 PM
Description
So here's the story with this one, a little over a year ago I obtained a little Dell desktop (Dell XPS 210) it was a small form factor PC so it didn't really have much in terms of cooling. This little computer came with a lowly clocked Core 2 Duo (can't remember the exact model) either way it was clocked in at 1.86GHz, nothing too impressive. Anyhow I later discovered that it did indeed support the quad core parts. Enter the Xeon X3230, I put that into it and bam it was a heck of a lot faster but.... under load the Xeon would hit about 86C so not good at all. The PC also had a ATi X1300 GPU which was god awful for really anything GPU intense. Now this would have been simple if I could have thrown in any old GPU but nope, the PSU was only 275W and had no GPU power cables, couple that with a hot running Xeon, it killed the PSU pretty much.

On Amazon I happened to see the ASRock G41C-GS motherboard, at first I thought it was a scam but pulled the trigger on it anyway. Bought a cheapo Thermaltake micro ATX case, a aftermarket CPU cooler that was designed for LGA 775 (but the screws weren't long enough to go through the mount holes), a 600w power supply, and 8GB of DDR3 RAM and I was in business. But wait, I didn't have a GPU and I killed the X1300 before I scrapped the Dell trying to play The Sims 4 on Ubuntu, that's when I fired up ebay and saw an offer I couldn't refuse, $80 shipped for a reference GTX 660 2GB GPU, not too powerful for a LGA 775 quad core, but not too weak to game on. This thing actually plays games really well for the ~$300 I put into it. The only issue is yes, the CPU is a bottleneck (not by a ton) but the 2.66GHz is definitely holding it back. Yes, I did try overclocking it but I wasn't able to get anywhere because:
1. Intel stock cooler, nuff said there.
2. Motherboard lacks CPU Vcore voltage.
3. Motherboard doesn't like an FSB speed any higher than about 296 with a 266 quad core.

So my goal is later on down the road to get a Q9650, from what I noticed I don't need a ton more CPU speed so the jump to 3GHz should be perfect on top of the slight IPC increase for going from Kentsfield to Yorkfield, all while maintaining the same 95W TDP. Oh and yes a better CPU cooler is coming when I buy that but for now it stays within safe limit so it will have to do.

Small edit: Instead of getting the Q9650 like I said I was going to I decided to get a QX9650 for a few reasons.

1.Unlocked multiplier, allowing me to run my RAM within spec without sending the FSB voltage to the moon and overclock the CPU as high as possible with the multiplier.
2. It was $70, getting a CPU that once retailed for over $1000 for that cheap just feels really good.
3. It has an X in it and it says "Extreme" and extreme is always better right? (not really but I wanted to be fun about it)
4. A Q9650 clocks higher and is like $40 but see point #1.

Update 1/2/2019:
I killed the AsRock board last year (September maybe?) by making a novice mistake of splitting the CPU fan header to power 2 Noctua fans (Yes I know it was really stupid but I hadn't slept in two days at the time so I wasn't thinking clearly at the time). Bought a EVGA 790i SLI Ultra board to go with an idea I had to see whether or not it can handle 2 x GTX 660's, turns out it can sorta if you go as far as you can with the CPU overclock. But anyway its back up and running and just needs a new case because the new motherboard which is Full ATX will not fit in my Micro ATX case so that's in the works then hopefully I can maybe squeeze 100MHz more out of the CPU for 4.1GHz as that is as far as I think I can go on an air cooler. I would consider doing water but I want the spirit of this build to be like a scrapyard pc of parts I found lying around or for a decent price (minus the 790i because it was overpriced, but worth it considering how good of condition it was in when I recieved it. Original plan was to throw Windows Vista on it as a legacy gaming rig (for backwards compatibility for games that weren't designed for Windows 7, looking at you Fallout 3) but it didn't happen because of a weird Blue screen upon finishing setup everytime (there was no way around it) and I didn't want XP because I want to use all 8GB of my RAM and it doesn't support SLI for newer than 5XX series cards. And lastly I forgot to mention I ditched the modded LGA 1150 stock cooler and made a Hyper 212 Evo fit the socket using the LGA 115X bracket, it works well, you just have to angle the screws a bit until you get them started because the LGA 775 heatsink mount is a few CM shorter than a modern Intel platform and Cooler Master doesn't provide 775 mounts anymore.

Update 3/13/2019

Bought a new case and cooler for it, going balls to the wall on an overclock that may or may not happen, we will see. Will update when the stuff comes in and I get it installed.

Photos

Components (12)

CPU

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 3.84GHz $75.00
    Component Details

Motherboard

EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79) $174.99
    Component Details

GPU

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 $0
    Component Details

RAM