Overclock.net banner

i9 9900k IHS material?

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Falkentyne 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the IHS of the 9900k is made of? I'm planning to buy the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal thermal paste) and read it doesn't mix well with aluminum material.

#11 ·
Pretty much, but since it's soldered one risks damage to die and not much gain in thermals let alone performance. So... why bother with LM when it's soldered.

Some units are easy to delid some not, even when not soldered. Some snap open some you have to go back and forth in direction to work the material loose.

#3 ·
nickel plated copper.

#6 ·
Iv always used conductonaut on both sides of IHS (Copper water block)

#7 ·
Thank you for the clarification ????. I originally wanted the Thermal Grizly Conductonaut for my GPU but after seeing people using LM between IHS and heatsink curiosity got the best of me.

Delidding the 9900k intimidates me because the IHS is soldered with the die. I’ve never delid a CPU like that.

#9 ·
Deliding a 9990K (with the tool) is about as easy as it is with any other CPU. Cleaning the solder off the die is what turns most people off of it. If you do delid a Coffee Lake-S CPU, go direct die and don't relid, otherwise don't bother IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.