Do you want to play on your Qosmio without having overheating shut downs?
Do you want to play on your Qosmio without using a cooling pad?
This is the full article for not a working around the problem a SOLUTION by 2 steps only!
I will not be help responsible if anyone lacks the skills to do this, if you are a beginner show this article to a professional or experienced person to help you do it right!
Step 1. THERMAL PASTE!
The thermal paste that comes with the Qosmio laptop from Toshiba is simply ****! When I opened the heat sink the the paste was not only **** but it was also all over the CPU and the GPU it was a MESS! Change it without doubt!
I am pretty sure you heard about this almost everywhere you go, but non do actually understand how to do this right, by right I do not mean the correct spread method. I believe that the correct method of applying the thermal paste is achieved by trial and error. It is a lengthy process but in the end it is worth it.
For the paste that I have used, I used Arctic Silver 5. Some people say that is the best out there on the market some disagree, but as I mentioned earlier the method of applying it is far more important than the compound itself. I tried using the half grain rice method, the vertical line, and the X-shape, the best method that worked out for me was the spread method. (After I did the spread method twice!!!) If you are using Arctic Silver 5 the temp drop initially is not much at all, around 3 or 4 degrees. Make sure that you use CPUID HWMoniter it has given me the most accurate temps so far. Speed Fan is a piece of crap do not use that!. Record the temps every spread method you do, DO NOT SETTLE FOR THE FIRST SPREAD! Keep trying different methods (even if you have to try the same method again!) Turn on your laptop put it under stress tests or play a game like battlefield 4, keep an eye on the temps!!
– The change in temps will NOT be visible on IDLE!
– temps change WILL be visible under STRESS!
CURE TIME IS NO JOKE!
You really do need to wait for the cure time for it to complete. I have applied the thermal paste 3 days ago, I noticed the temps are dropping by 2-3 degrees daily since the cure time for my paste is 200 hours the drop in temps are going to be gradual.
Step 2. UNDERVOLTING!
For this part you need to download the tuning program Intel XTU (Xtreme Tuning Utility). Haswell CPUs are now given the luxury of undervolting.
Now please do understand that undervolting is the best thing you can do for you laptop. Since each CPU it has been given the default voltage required that it will run on notebooks and desktops by default. This is where the cool decreases dramatically!
A little more insight about undervolting for everyone to understand more clearly how does undervolting help!
Energy is NOT created NOR destroyed! It is simply transferred and converted into different forms.
Your mobile phone lets say takes in 1.5V. if you apply 2.0V to the mobile will not operate faster or at any higher performance, since the threshold of its power it has already been reached any excess voltage (energy) will need to escape, the only way that energy is capable of escaping is by heat!
That is why it is best to simply use the exact right amount of voltage that your CPU requires. This will NOT AFFECT performance! The performance will be just the same.
– Longer Battery Life
– Performance unchanged
– BSOD (which really does not harm your system in any way, just save your files)
Now here is what you are going to do…
– https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+utility%22%22 Download and Install intel XTU from Intel’s website
– Open Intel XTU, go to core settings on the left panel.
– Look onto the top right of the window you will see Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and a 0.0000000mV value.
– Click onto the 0.0000000mv value, decrease as a START -50mV then click apply on the far right pannel
– Every time you change a value, the far right panel showing the settings will be in a yellow font showing the change!
– Start the Stress test located on the left side panel under “Core” click on CPU and start the test
IntelXTU 317k .jpg file
– Keep decreasing by -20mV and run stress tests every time you decrease the voltages on each increment (example -50mV then -70mV then -90mV) click apply every time you change the value which is located on the very far right pannel.
– Keep doing that until your system BSODs (Blue Screen of Death)
– Intel XTU will return to default settings (0.0000000mV) so just return to the same value you reached but instead of it being a decrease of -20mV make it 10mv and run a stress test (example system BSOD on -110mV, restart and place it on -100mV)
– If it BSOD again, Again decrease another 10mV and stress test until the system is stable.
YOU WILL SENSE WHEN SYSTEM IS STABLE DO NOT WORRY!
Any further questions feel free to email me email@example.com I will be more than glad to be of help and will reply ASAP.
Do yourself the favor by keeping your laptop cool you will have a heavy duty laptop, the Qosmio is just too sexy and strong for it not to be a great laptop. Toshiba will not do these fixes as good as you will!! Trust me they are idiots over there! Remember that Toshiba has other stuff to do like fridges TVs etc… That is why you have better laptops that specialize in gaming and know what gamers need such as Asus (Amazing cooling system) and Alienware (the best yet most expensive there is)