post #171 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

There is hope that you will get a sharp 144Hz,IPS WQHD monior because LG has a better coating.

https://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-27gl85...l-with-g-sync/
post #173 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 283
XV272U is on Amazon.de but you have to search the whole long name or search on Geizhals, it's under 500 EUR. (Innolux)
Yes also the LG 27GL850G got announced to exist. (who knows, maybe Innolux, maybe LG's own IPS panel, all in all LG seems to have gotten in bed with Nvidia and AUO to offer Gsync on some of their "gaming" monitors)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-...el-and-g-sync/
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27...gaming-monitor

What's getting a bit annoying is that ultrawides can be found in 170-200Hz ranges yet 16:9 is often stuck to 165Hz OC only and has lower resolution = lower bandwidth and thus should be able to run even 240Hz in the electronics input if they wanted to.

Last edited by JackCY; 01-04-2019 at 11:03 AM.
post #174 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:59 PM
#SavedTheCrew

Rep: 180
Ended up also buying the Dell S2719DGF at Micro Center today, open box price $280. I plan on comparing it to the Acer VG270UP I have coming next week ($390). We'll see what happens, and what I think. I've seen a few videos that show the Dell can hold its own, and with the problems the IPS panels have currently, it might be my best bet to stick with the S2719DGF for the next year or so and see if any improvements are made in the IPS market.

Who knows, the Acer I have coming could blow me away!

Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
CPU
Intel 6600K
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5
GPU
PowerColor R9 390
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung SpinPoint 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova P2 650W
Cooling
Silverstone TD02-E
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Dell U2412M
▲ hide details ▲
post #175 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

So I picked up the Acer XV272UP yesterday. I haven't had a chance to do a whole lot on it yet. First impressions is that it's good, but have not a whole lot of experience with monitors. I am coming from a BenQ XL2420T, and colors are definitely a lot better. My initial thoughts are that I'll probably keep it unless something unacceptable shows up. There is not a whole lot of monitors with these specs and these are the specs I was looking for.

Is there anything that you folks would like me to test? I might be able to do that throughout the weekend.
post #176 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4
Is Overdrive still locked to normal when FreeSync is activated?
Is Overdrive normal still full with ghosting on 144 Hz?
Is Overdrive extreme still the only viable setting @ 144 Hz?

What about bleeding?
10 Bit @ 144 Hz available?
Homogenity?
Pixel defects?

A German guy isn't pleased with this monitor and criticizes the pixel responsiveness.

Test it with Blurbuster's Ufo.
post #177 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Overclocker

rtings reviewed PG279QZ, they don't say what panel it has but to me it looks like they use the same newer revision of AUO M270DAN2.6 found in previous zero frame Acer's. Again, pretty lack luster features thanks to Gsync, only 120Hz BFI, etc.

Post it up puff4, sent you a PM on what you can check.

Last edited by JackCY; 01-11-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #178 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Acer XV272UP

I've played around a bit with the monitor now. Just browsing and a bit of Rocket League. I felt like something was off in the bottom part of the screen and suspected back light bleed. I feel like colors are good but I might be biased since I'm coming from an old TN screen.

I've tested it with the Eizo test, Lagom.nl - gamma calibraiton, Lagom.nl - sharpness and testufo per JackCYs instructions. Mind you, I probably wasn't very capable of testing tonight due to a long week and just being tired.
My camera is just an old phone, so quality of that in itself is really bad - for example, it wasn't able to focus properly in the dark and especially from a little distance. Also I've moved the pictures digitally from my phone to computer, so it's probably been compressed even further and then uploaded to imgur. For that I apologize, maybe I can borrow a proper camera at some point.

I basically used the stock monitor settings except for a few things like brightness and color temperature, which was set to warm by default - normal seemed more natural to me.

Monitor Settings:
  • Mode: User
  • Brightness: 10
  • Contrast: 50
  • Gamma 2.2
  • Color Temperature: Normal
  • Black Boost: 0
  • Blue Light: Off
  • ACM: Off
  • HDR: Off
  • Super Sharpness: Off
  • Overdrive: Normal
  • Freesync: On
  • HDR: Off
  • Super Sharpness: Off

Pictures:

I haven't got any pictures of the Eizo test yet. I don't feel like the camera does the monitor its justice with the gamma test. I feel like the colors are pretty good in person. The backlight bleed on the other hand is utterly disappointing. I found that the Super Sharpness setting just added edges to things.

To answer your questions HalongPort.
Quote: Originally Posted by HalongPort View Post
Is Overdrive still locked to normal when FreeSync is activated?
It seems like that, yes.

Is Overdrive normal still full with ghosting on 144 Hz?
Yes.

Is Overdrive extreme still the only viable setting @ 144 Hz?
Overdrive is viable as both normal or extreme @ 144hz as far as I can tell. Just not as extreme with Freesync.

What about bleeding?
It is horrible in my opinion.

10 Bit @ 144 Hz available?
Is that HDR? Wether it's true 10 bit I'm not sure. HDR is available with overdrive in extreme as well as normal but no with Freesync.

Homogenity?
?

Pixel defects?
As far as I could tell in the Eizo test, there was no pixel nor sub-pixel faults, but that probably deserves another look in the morning.

A German guy isn't pleased with this monitor and criticizes the pixel responsiveness.

Test it with Blurbuster's Ufo.
There is a trailing blur, or ghosting. You can turn on VBR but the trailing blur is still there, though the main figure is slightly sharper. I guess, that answers your ghosting question a little further. I doubt I will notice it a whole lot but I feel like it was actually better on my BenQ Xl2420T, especially with blurbusters strobelight, but I might have to test that further to be sure. I have a hunch that VBR is better @ 120hz, but I'm not sure if remember true, but the XL2420T is 120hz natively and I only tested with 144hz on the XV272UP.

How do I test pixel responsiveness?
post #179 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Overclocker

The BLB looks bad to me, so bright it even seems overshine most of glow at close distance. Damn.

Blurry image again Seem they used same firmware with the same issue as on previous Acer monitors with this kind of panel. And of course again no sharpness adjustment available to try and fix their mess, all you get is the useless edge sharpener supersharpness garbage.

Quote:
How do I test pixel responsiveness?
That is difficult. Unless you have an oscilloscope and a fast light sensor, you can't do it precisely.
You can estimate long response times by using a moving picture at a fixed framerate, such as take a static photo of UFO at high shutter speed and count number of legs visible. Comparing moving photo of UFO is very unreliable from my experience.
Another option is to compare with other monitor of known response time you want to compare, again, unlikely one has this.
Taking a video of fixed frame rate transition and counting how many video frames it takes for it to transition, obviously the higher fps video recording you can make the better you can calculate it, again this mostly works only for slow VA transitions unless you have one of those fancy 960fps capable video cameras etc. They are not common.

There is in "pixperan" test a transition time estimator but it's tricky to use, I find the photo and video better.

Comparing on your own from experience or side by side with other monitor while using both with identical image, clone mode.

Ghosting on IPS panels... I wouldn't really call it ghosting, it's probably people used to 144Hz TNs or even with strobing looking at IPS and OH MY it's so slow and "ghosting". Well of course IPS is tiny bit slower than TN. Strobing has a huge impact on motion tracking blur and should be left out from comparing panel responsiveness.

Sure XF270HUA for example isn't super duper fast and using extreme OD helps. The AUO M270DAN2.x wasn't that much faster than other IPS panels and what it often comes down to is how good the overdrive calibration is.

So it seems Acer took a new panel and old undesirable electronics to control it with same issues as before, what a shame.
post #180 of 204 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8
hell.. this does not looks good. I've just ordered xv272u yesterday because of rumored "better" innolux panel and nice specs... i mean 95% dci-p3, 10bit, <2 deltaE...

[email protected], Gtx1060 6gb, Hp 27ea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in