From CM Master Keys Pro S (tkl) to Ducky One 2 Mini? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

From CM Master Keys Pro S (tkl) to Ducky One 2 Mini?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
From CM Master Keys Pro S (tkl) to Ducky One 2 Mini?

Thinking about switching from my current CM Master Keys Pro S (TKL) which I'm happy with, to the Ducky One 2 Mini because I would prefer having less width. Has anyone used it before? I've checked out a review and it seems good. In fact, at pccasegear.com.au, there aren't many mini options that forgo the arrow keys all together, and umart.com.au has even less options.

My currently keyboard has Cherry MX brown switches. Not unhappy with them, but thinking perhaps I should try red or blue and see the difference. Also the ducky has silver and several other switch types I've never heard about.

Anyone got experience with the Ducky One 2 Mini?
Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 AM
mfw

Rep: 368 (Unique: 193)
I was in a similar situation. I came from a Quickfire TK with browns to the One 2 Mini with silent reds because I wanted to stop smashing my mouse against the keyboard anytime I had to do a quick 180º and I also disliked my experience with tactile switches.

The Ducky has every key you'd need through the use of FN (well, except for alt codes, but that's expected). It's small and works, and that's what I wanted. In regard to silent reds specifically, I expected a better time typing with their spec actuation point. They're not bad, but I seem to occasionally press some keys short of actuation - strangely, more so than with my CM keyboard with browns.

I might try the CM SK621 when it's available here with an ISO layout. The feel of the switches and the brushed aluminum body are very alluring. Since you seem to be an Apple guy, perhaps that one might be an even better match for you.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 06-07-2019 at 01:05 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I was in a similar situation. I came from a Quickfire TK with browns to the One 2 Mini with silent reds because I wanted to stop smashing my mouse against the keyboard anytime I had to do a quick 180º and I also disliked my experience with tactile switches.

The Ducky has every key you'd need through the use of FN (well, except for alt codes, but that's expected). It's small and works, and that's what I wanted. In regard to silent reds specifically, I expected a better time typing with their spec actuation point. They're not bad, but I seem to occasionally press some keys short of actuation - strangely, more so than with my CM keyboard with browns.

I might try the CM SK621 when it's available here with an ISO layout. The feel of the switches and the brushed aluminum body are very alluring. Since you seem to be an Apple guy, perhaps that one might be an even better match for you.
Have they adjusted the layout with that thing? The SK630 is absolutely terrible for typing and gaming, the board was just made to look cool and nothing else.

Regarding Ducky, I've had some issues with the stabilizers being loose on one side and I'm on my 2nd RMA round to get decent stabs. This is with silents:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 AM
mfw

Quote: Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
Have they adjusted the layout with that thing? The SK630 is absolutely terrible for typing and gaming, the board was just made to look cool and nothing else.
Can you elaborate?

Regarding the spacebar on the One 2 Mini, mine feels and sounds consistent throughout.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Can you elaborate?

Regarding the spacebar on the One 2 Mini, mine feels and sounds consistent throughout.
Pretty much all the reviews of the SK630 smash it for the spacing of keys and completely flat keycaps, resulting in much more typing errors than normally

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:34 AM
mfw

Quote: Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
Pretty much all the reviews of the SK630 smash it for the spacing of keys and completely flat keycaps, resulting in much more typing errors than normally
The spacing doesn't seem a problem at glance, at least for me, but I'd have to test it myself.

The flatness of the keys is, well, kind of by design. Even if it's not as efficient for some to type on them, it's hard to criticize a product whose form and/or function is not the result of an oversight, but rather the intentional decision to provide a different keyboard from the majority.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
Thanks for all the input guys.

Is the Ducky One 2 Mini similar to the SK630? Does it also have flat keys which are bad for typing? That would be a no-go for me because I type a heck of a lot. EDIT: Just checked it out now. I probably wouldn't go a chiclet keyboard though I actually found it really easy to type on when I had my Apple one (could push out 130+ words a minute max).

But I think I like the larger keys so want to stick with that.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in