Overclock.net banner

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

2M views 14K replies 563 participants last post by  I love my SUPP 
#1 · (Edited)
Crosshair VII

Crosshair VII is here, and plenty of feedback from OCN has made it into the product. It's not revolutionary, but there are a lot of small little tweaks that in the end makes a big difference.

Key highlights:

- CPU/SOC VRM reconfigured to 10+2 and upgraded to IR3555 Power Stages. Additionally the SOC phases are placed between the CPU phases for lower temperatures.

- Supports Asynchronous eCLK mode, which allows you to overclock the CPU reference clock independently from Fabric/DRAM and PCI-E.

- Performance Enhancer option can increase or disable XFR power and current limits allowing you to boost higher and longer. Together with reference clock adjustments this means you can get up to ~4.5 GHz in single threaded loads and 4.2-4.3 GHz in multi threaded. @The Stilt is the original author of this function.

- Much improved voltage monitoring both in software and at ProbeIt points with differential sensing for CPU Core Voltage, CPU SOC Voltage, DRAM Voltage and EPS12V.

- Stealth mode which easily disables Aura and on-board LEDs completely, including the power button and Q-Code display.

For further details, check the attached PDF brief. Or ask in the thread :p

BIOS

Latest releases available here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/jkoxu4r003qu7/Release

C7H/WIFI BIOS 0601

- First release on OCN

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lyc7if2402j4203/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-ASUS-0601.zip sha256 d0d54fe84bf4cacc6cce5abbb071f83166ab4a4ada3d97749632cde1aa50b1e6
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dhf3sqmbg4sh3pj/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-0601.zip sha256 28bbc18cf2ec9166feb3776eaffee1d4c17f02e59d11f542bb6568071e1011fb

Attachments

See less See more
#8,544 ·
hey i was reading in someone signature, that there is some kind of ram quality tester? that will rate it at say 93% or also give it a maximum potential overclock rating? are any of you familiar with this? I Know testing and changing timings and mhz a little at a time is best, but maybe this helps with a good starting point?

also, i have 2 kits of memory i am testing bout cl14 3200 kits. 1 is team dark b die single rank, and another is a flare x kit, dated july 2019, not sure if its b die is there any way to tell for sure without taking the heatspreader off and looking at the chips?

lastly i am running 3466 on the flare x kit now, and i have it set in bios to 15, 15, 15, 31, any idea why when i boot into windows it would show 16, 15, 15, 15 31?

#8,547 ·
You cannot use software to test the binning of memory modules. You would need an oscilloscope for that, as well as the knowledge to understand the outputs. The only thing that you can do via software is verify that the settings you have applied are working correctly.

#8,545 ·
DRAM Calculator shows the quality and oc rating. I wouldn't be too reliant on the rating though. Thaiphoon burner shows the ram details, the die, rank etc. Look at youtube on how to use it.

As for the 15-16 thing, gear down mode might be enabled in bios. see if it boots with it disabled. Other wise like me it changes 13 to 14 regardless of it in bios.

#8,548 ·
This drives me crazy... everytime i knock the desk my PC shutdown and gives C5 error. Which means A2 dimm slot has moved, i have to reseat very tightly to make it boot again. Is it common that A2 slot on this motherboard, or even ryzen motherboards, is this fragile? I had the same issue on a X370 gigabyte. Could it be the DIMM itself?

Also, i am getting very high idle temps on a D15 with my 3700x... like 50-55c idle (hwinfo)... is it normal for these CPU? (because of the autoOC feature?)

#8,551 ·
Never had that issue with my ch7 neither with my x370 gigabyte so it is likely to be your ram stick or something you did.

#8,552 ·
I upgraded, cos might as well. Can't really tell any difference on any real metric. Haven't tried pushing memory any further. Can at least report it isn't any worse, but im not in the habit of staring at my maximum boost clocks all day long either.

#8,553 ·
@mtrai I've only had one successful POST at 3740MHz RAM on 2606 which I didn't expect since I used 2602 at that speed. Just in case you haven't played with it yet.

#8,554 ·
How does BCLK overclock work?

#8,555 ·
Hello,
I dont know if it's been asked before, but somehow the hwinfo64 is killing all the fans after running a while.
I updated to the latest bios 2606, and it is still happening.
Is there anything that I can do to solve the issue or what other software do you recommend me to use?

thanks for the help

#8,558 · (Edited)
I am having this same issue, however I hadn't tracked the issue to HWinfo specifically. I had just assumed there was something messed up in The UEFI as this happened on this exact board (The Crosshair 7 Hero) after the 2000 Series launch, and it took ASUS a while to fix it. Although, the issue was with how HWinfo and other monitoring tools were interfacing with the WMI. It actually was not HWinfo's fault at all, but to paraphrase @Mumak it was thanks to "Asus Shoddy WMI Implementation" and it took them Months to finally fix it, so that when you used 2 different software Monitoring tools running at the same time it didn't cause your system to shutdown or your fans to have odd behavior.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has somehow been reintroduced. I remember before Asus fixed the issue with their UEFI, HWinfo came out with a new version which essentially turned off WMI altogether, and then another Update after which used a different method to probe the WMI, and both of these versions worked perfectly. But perhaps ASUS has reintroduced that bug into their WMI implementation again, which is causing this issue when software monitoring tools probe it. It may work to simply go into HWinfo settings and turn off the "EC Support" inside of the Safety Tab. This will disable the ASUS sensors altogether, but won't effect the CPU based Sensors (Which tend to be the more accurate ones anyway) and may just cause this annoying issue to stop until ASUS fixes their bug again.

This assumes a lot, and I could be way off base, I don't even know for a fact that this issue is being caused by software monitoring tools again, but if it were happening as a side effect of using software monitoring tools, then this may be a temporary work around to stop experiencing these annoying Fan stopping issues. (I am experiencing the same issue about once a day, and it is incredibly annoying, so I am going to try this myself and see if it helps, as HWinfo is the ONLY program that I allow to start with my PC, and it remains running until I shutdown.)

Also, maybe @Mumak with HWinfo might have an idea as to why this is happening. (Again, I don't know for sure that this is happening as a side affect of having HWinfo open, this is just the theory being proposed that I am exploring.)

#8,589 · (Edited)
Downloaded and installed, as with ANY previous AMD's chipset driver set I can't get the Ryzen power profiles in Power Management.
Someone dropped me the installation file (AMD_Ryzen_Balanced-Driver.msi) but fails with this error:

Does anyone have any suggestion to workaround the problem?
It's quite annoying…

Baio

EDIT:
Never mind, I did it.
I installed the previous drivers at the time I had the 2700X in the case and the newer ones don't install the Ryzen power profiles.
Uninstalled and reinstalled, everything goes right now.

#8,563 ·
My Ryzen 3900X system.

#8,564 ·
#8,566 ·
Popped in the 3900X today, loaded the exact same profile I used for 3700X and it worked right away. 3800MHz memory, boost to 4.6GHz. Haven't had time digging deeper, but it's smooth and fast. Memory bandwith went up with dual chiplets:

It took more time making the 3700X at home in a Prime Pro in my second rig. Or not the CPU, it even boosts better than on C7H. 4.45GHz on three cores. But the memory, that rig has crappy Hynix AFR 4x8GB and all above 2933MHz wouldn't even boot. In effect, the C7H now has a whopping 50% higher bandwidth! On the other hand, Linux(Arch) on that rig is fast, Geekbench 6150/38500 with Auto OC is rather great for a 3700X.

#8,567 ·
Just trying to get max boos on a 3700X with this board in at least one core but seems to be impossible. It was so easy with zen +. With my 2700X using Asus settings Performance enhancer level 3 and modifying my EDC to 156 I was able to run an all core OC of 4250MHz while gaming or heavy threaded apps, and 4350MHz (max for that processor) while doing single core tasks! Voltage and frequencies scaled correctly depending on the workload. Can someone point me in the right direction for the 3700X and this board? Thanks!

#8,568 ·
Bios 2501 has the highest automatic boost, the newer biose(s) makes manual OC or per-CCX OC more worthwhile than before.

#8,570 ·
Regarding RAM OC on 2nd gen(Zen+) Ryzens which bios version was the best? The newer ones for 3rd gens that I tried with my 2700X are just poor and I had downclock ram from 3560CL14 to 3466CL14 to have it stable.

#8,571 ·
I think I may have a solution for the poor boosting performance due to the changes. If you have a tab in your "AMD CBS" menu called "SMU Options" then go to it and see if there are a couple of options named "CPPC" and "CPPC Preferred Cores" they will be set to AUTO but go ahead and set "CPPC" to Enabled and make sure all of those PPT and EDC options are set mack to their max so your cpu wont have an excuse to be dialed back. Save and Exit into the OS and download Power Settings Utility.

Next open the utility as admin and scroll down and "processor performance autonomous mode" and try the enabled vs disabled setting and see if it makes a difference just make sure to hit apply to enable the setting. You can also play with many of the processor power management settings and tweak when and how fast your processor boosts and idles as well as how fast it reacts to loads and many other things that are hidden by microsoft. Its pretty safe to do so, just hit the "Export" button and save your current configuration file and play around with the options and if you like it you can export more setups and run them whenever or if you dont like it and want to revert back to normal then just hit the "Import" button and load your initial config you saved and Apply.
Ok, onto the next thing that may help you a bit more that I found useful. Download QuickCPU Install and then run the program as Administrator and look toward the bottom of the GUI at the 3 sliders and push all 3 to the right and hit apply and check your clocks in HwInfo64.

I went from gettting a 4.35ghz all core and 4.4ghz single core to getting 4.465ghz all core for short bursts and 4.5ghz single core on my 3700x after the process stated above. Hopefully this helps.

#8,573 ·
looks interesting i will be trying it out tomorrow/later today xD, thanks so much, will post feedback!

#8,572 ·
Thanks to both @oreonutz, @Mumak, now I know I am not crazy about the fan stop working

only using hwinfo that's why I only ask about hwinfo. I dont recall using multiple monitoring software other than maybe windows task manager.
I will pay more attention to it next time so I can provide more clear detail.
And I will uncheck the EC support to see if it happens again, thanks again for the replies :)

#8,584 ·
I don't use Windows nor HwInfo and the fan stoppage issue is present just because of the broken WMI interface in the BIOS.:thumbsdow

#8,578 · (Edited)
So I meant to post this sooner, but been busy over last few days...

I found a problem with 2501, 2602 and 2606 - when OC fails

Although safe mode will kick in, it's NOT clearing the bios setting properly. Two examples below: One shows where I had been trying for a BCLK OC of 101.8, to achieve 3800:1900. When I hit CMos CLR button it started going through the motions of resetting back to default settings. Instead of showing me the 'your machine has started in safe mode', I had to press del to get into bios - it had started booting, but I stopped it by pressing reset. On entering the bios it was showing my ram as being at 3800MTs @ 1.2v(!) - everything else had been reset so UCLCK= 1/2 FCLK which enabled it to run. It nearly booted to desktop, but obviously at that voltage I got a blue screen just before the login screen.

Second example shows that my ram voltage at 1.51v while everything else had been reset properly after trying out some settings on a 4600MTs profile.

Why isn't it re-setting everything properly? I wonder what other settings have not been reset on Safe Boot or using CMos CLR button? This could make loads of my tests invalid if it's been happening at other times without me noticing :(

Attachments

#8,579 ·
Since yesterday my cpu is shutting down with cpu over temperature error as soon as it hits about 85deg. The only thing changed was the chipset driver but i don't think it should have this effect. Anybody know what could be causing this. I run cbr20 with hwinfo to see the temps and its happening around 85deg since yesterday. Fans didn't stop and were working full speed.

#8,580 ·
Do we know if any of the ASUS X570 boards are having similar issues associated with monitoring SW?

#8,586 ·
As far as I know, only one mobo vendor continues to use ITE SIO hardware. Most use Nuvoton sensor chips. There is no need for the WMI interface in the X570 BIOS' so likely no issues with fan stoppage on those boards.

#8,581 ·
Just an update on CCX OC on the 3700X. I was able to do 4375MHz on CCX 0 and 4325MHz on CCX1 I have a set voltage of 1.32V and this way my CB 15 Score went from 2130 to 2265 also my single core score jumped from 198 to 203. I still do have a question using the Work tool your VID goes to hell 1.49 volts I was able to lower it manually but what should the safe VID be should it be same as my Vcore 1.32?

Also I did this method as I could not reach 4.4 boost clock on any CCX even with PBO enabled and the 200MHz. Best I was doing was 3 cores went to 4350MHz which is why I decided to go this route and why my CB scores increased very well with CCX OC method. Thanks for reading!

#8,591 ·
i'm gonna upgrade my c6h to c7h, should i worry about anything like some chronic error on this board?

#8,596 ·
All My New Water Cooling parts have arrived. About to start Flushing out my New Radiators. Here is everything I got! (If anyone Cares)

#8,600 ·
I did a search on that card and it has had issues going back to 12.04. Seems it is found by lspci and alsa but not used. The most recent post was from 2017 and said there is an open request at ALSA support to properly fix the problem.
I have an HT Omega eClaro sound card based on the C-Media CMI8788 which is supported under ALSA with the snd-oxygen module.
Seems the snd-oxygen module needs to be loaded with ALSA. Also found two more posts.

I fixed this by opening alsamixer in the terminal and setting the output to multichannel.

Then rebooted and selected the right setting in Ubuntu sound settings. All working now:)
Someone suggested typing alsamixer in console, then pressing F6, choosing Xonar as soundcard and then there are switches like "Analog output" which you can change from "Front panel" to the ones in the back, for example. This helped me.

#8,601 ·
I did a search on that card and it has had issues going back to 12.04. Seems it is found by lspci and alsa but not used. The most recent post was from 2017 and said there is an open request at ALSA support to properly fix the problem.

Seems the snd-oxygen module needs to be loaded with ALSA. Also found two more posts.
I really appreciate the help. I found those same posts except for the very first one. Alsa was one of those Mixers I was talking about that I couldn't remember the name of. So I intstalled the snd-oxygen module and Opened up the Alsa Mixer and Pressed F6, the Multichannel Option they spoke of just doesn't exist for me, and when you hit F6 only the Sound Cards that show up in the Settings show up there. I also dug real deep and got other Mixer/Modules, what ever they are called, and installed them, it was the same story with every single one. I could not get any single one of them to actually use my damn card. When running the Bash command to show your sound card, it does indeed show up, but figuring out the right bash command to get Ubuntu to actually use it, well I could not find that. Suffice it to say, I backed up Ubuntu to an Image with Acronis, and then Ran every single damn Sudo Bash command I could find on the subject, I downloaded a Package manager GUI that is basically a searchable GUI of all the different Packages you can install in Gnome, and installed every single damn one having to do with Sound, restarted the Sound Drivers or whatever they are called on Linux a million times, restarted more times then I could count every single time I made a change, nothing seemed to make a difference. I do not give up lightly, I literally worked on this for 16 hours straight, I get a little obsessive compulsive and postponed jobs because I was dead set on figuring out how to get this to work. Finally I had to get to sleep because I had to get up to start a huge contract that I couldn't post pone and when I looked at the time I had to leave 4 hours from then, so I finally booted back into Windows, put on Star Trek TNG, and went to bed, lol. I haven't bothered installing it since. I have just been running Ubunti in a VM because I am loving messing with Linux again, but I don't like being with out my sound which is why I have been doing a lot of my playing around in the VM instead of booting off my Ubuntu SSD.