ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 863 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

post #8621 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:11 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Takla View Post
So are you actually professionally producing any audio? If not, I don't see what your argument here is, other than some incredible mental gymnastic by you, to try and justify wasting hundreds of dollars.

I don't see anyone "mad" around here but you

I'm assuming you mean this? His comment was in fact misleading. He stated, and I quote "Only the "top 6% of 3900X" they tested can achieve "4.2GHz OC @ 1.250v"!" which is not true. These voltages and clocks only apply during prime95s avx2 load. No real world program with or without avx2 will actually reach these temps, which was the only thing holding them back from further increasing the voltages for a higher clock.
Bro, every post you have made on this thread for the past few weeks that I have seen have been negative. Lighten up brother.

Yes, as I have mentioned, I am a Professional Audio Engineer. I Mix and Master Music Professionally. This is why I have the sound card, and regardless there is no need to justify my choice of hardware to you or anyone else. I am sorry the world sucks bro, no need to channel your anger to this thread, maybe take up exercising or breathing exercises or something.

Furthermore, he was just reporting the statistics posted by Silicon Lottery, it CLEARLY states in the statistics that they were testing with AVX2. We are enthusiasts, we can read, no need to jump down anyones throat for posting a link that we would find interesting. I actually agreed with your gripe on that, it obviously is a big caveat to say only 6% of chips can hit 4.2Ghz because that is only under the most stressful loads, but there is no need to be a d**k about it. I know its something you seem to excel at, but its unnecessary. Again, calm down, everything is going to be ok...

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 08-21-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8622 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:35 AM
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 286 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post
Yes indeed, i remember spending months on this issue on the CH6 with you, Aida64, Elmor and The Stilt on this matter and there is still no real fix for it..
Its not Assus though, its Aida64, Hwinfo64 that is reading the ITE chip wrong they said.. Which is truly false as the ITE chip is at fault here and they keep using it. There is a reason why no one uses this erratic cheap chip and that is not because its very good...
ASUS wasn't aware that the ITE chip is such a crap, they realized it too late when design was finished long ago and production ongoing.

HWiNFO Author
post #8623 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 AM
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 286 (Unique: 117)
Good Job Assus, you managed to screw up again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwqVEkruvo
I have put my comment beneath that YT video.

HWiNFO Author
post #8624 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
Was about to tag You in that Vid. For Now I turned off monitoring in cfg as You suggested till they re-fix the problem. I know C8H does not use this crappy chip anymore Thankg god.
post #8625 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 AM
Meddling user

Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
I notified ASUS about the problem with WMI monitoring in new BIOSes. Hopefully they fix it soon.
+rep .

Quote: Originally Posted by jfrob75 View Post
Do we know if any of the ASUS X570 boards are having similar issues associated with monitoring SW?
Not seen any reports, but they use differing Super IO chip, Nuvoton NCT6798.

Yes, the ITE SIO was quite a disaster.. Not just because of the issues during monitoring, when a concurrent access during sensor read can cause SIO corruption. Hence ASUS switched to Nuvoton on X570.
Don't know why it is, some seem to suffer badly with the ITE SIO, I really can't say I have. As you know owned C6H, C7H, ZE & ZEA and I don't use them lightly or without lengthy usage.

So far with 3xxx CPU + C7H only experienced 3x fan PWM shut off. 2x if I left Ryzen Master opened whilst other monitoring tools were open I had fan PWM become borked. 1x on an overnight run where only HWINFO had been opened it lost fan PWM, but the rig had been in use ~3 days.

This ZIP has TR+ZEA recent run data, touching ~100hrs test run. The rig had been in use prior to earliest dataset in ZIP, it is still running [email protected] and had HWINFO all the time open, at times CPU-Z, ASUS TurboV Core also opened.

Quote: Originally Posted by Synoxia View Post
which temp is more reliable?
Both are reliable, but difference is later Ryzen Master is doings some averaging, HWINFO is not and I prefer the latter method.

Also see The Stilt's posted info here.
post #8626 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
+rep .

Not seen any reports, but they use differing Super IO chip, Nuvoton NCT6798.

Don't know why it is, some seem to suffer badly with the ITE SIO, I really can't say I have. As you know owned C6H, C7H, ZE & ZEA and I don't use them lightly or without lengthy usage.

So far with 3xxx CPU + C7H only experienced 3x fan PWM shut off. 2x if I left Ryzen Master opened whilst other monitoring tools were open I had fan PWM become borked. 1x on an overnight run where only HWINFO had been opened it lost fan PWM, but the rig had been in use ~3 days.

This ZIP has TR+ZEA recent run data, touching ~100hrs test run. The rig had been in use prior to earliest dataset in ZIP, it is still running [email protected] and had HWINFO all the time open, at times CPU-Z, ASUS TurboV Core also opened.

Both are reliable, but difference is later Ryzen Master is doings some averaging, HWINFO is not and I prefer the latter method.

Also see The Stilt's posted info here.

3700x sitting at more than 60c in bios sound scary tough... i've put a small undervolt of -0.43 just to be sure meanwhile AMD fixes PBO... (in 1003 it boosts lower for 1002, this might be the reason?)
I am not concerned by voltages as others are. I have no problems if it hits 1.55v. What really concerns me is being both at 1.48v and +60c idle temp...

Tryndamere
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asus C7H Hero Wifi
GPU
Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G-Skill Tridentz OC 16 gb 3800 c14-16-17-16-32-48
Power Supply
EVGA G3 Gold
Cooling
Noctua D15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo pro TG
Operating System
Win 10 1903 build 18950 64bit
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
Fnatic RGB Cherry mx brown
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless 950 dpi
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO Fx
Audio
JBL305
▲ hide details ▲
post #8627 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 AM
Meddling user

Quote: Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
Was about to tag You in that Vid. For Now I turned off monitoring in cfg as You suggested till they re-fix the problem. I know C8H does not use this crappy chip anymore Thankg god.
Seems the low tier boards have been gimped, considering the cost real shame TBH, link to The Stilt's post.

On C8H/F as it uses IR3555M I would have thought they'd have exposed internal mosfet temp reading. I can't recall if I saw data from an owner, even though read/take part in C8H/F thread. Perhaps Martin can state the case.

Quote: Originally Posted by Synoxia View Post
3700x sitting at more than 60c in bios sound scary tough... i've put a small undervolt of -0.43 just to be sure meanwhile AMD fixes PBO... (in 1003 it boosts lower for 1002, this might be the reason?)
I am not concerned by voltages as others are. I have no problems if it hits 1.55v. What really concerns me is being both at 1.48v and +60c idle temp...
BIOS aka UEFI is a mini operating system, very unlike Legacy BIOS. Ryzen seems to boost in UEFI, which most consider as "no load" situation, which it is not.

Get yourself a wall socket power meter, you will see when "idle" in UEFI your system could be pulling ~120W, when idle in OS it's ~60W.

If I enable Global C-State Control on UEFI 2602 onwards, then check in OS with Ryzen Master I do get ~0.25V idle voltage at xxMHz/sleep core status. Without using C-State control on later AGESA UEFIs I do not gain low VCORE at idle in OS. Did not have to do this on older AEGSA, I hope AMD retweak SMU FW in a newer release of AGESA...

Last edited by gupsterg; 08-21-2019 at 04:24 AM.
post #8628 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 22)
Reading the ASUS EC in HWiNFO for VRM or PCH temp doesnt seem to cause any problems with the Crosshair VIII Formula. I wonder about the accuracy tho. I have my formula block on water and it has idled as low as 17c

Don't forget to ground yourself

https://valid.x86.fr/9ly8hi
post #8629 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 AM
Meddling user

Quote: Originally Posted by Reikoji View Post
Reading the ASUS EC in HWiNFO for VRM or PCH temp doesnt seem to cause any problems with the Crosshair VIII Formula. I wonder about the accuracy tho. I have my formula block on water and it has idled as low as 17c
I saw ~13C in OC3D for Formula, which would seem absurd considering he's not gonna be on below ambient cooling. Looking at the motherboard temp sensor is good indication of ambient from what I have experienced on AM4/SP3r2 boards from ASUS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8F VRM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	290588
post #8630 of 9701 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 22)
Good Job Assus, you managed to screw up again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwqVEkruvo
Making mountains out of mole hills. Those are cheaper boards that simply have less sensors on them and that is one thing that lowers their cost. And with x570, they needed more ways to lower the board cost to make them a better buy for people that seek cheap things. I guess if VRM temp is important to you then you should be buying a crosshair series. Got a lot of people giving the excuse that "I dont LN2 OC so Why would I buy a crosshair" so now you have your damn reason. Stop cheaping out.

Don't forget to ground yourself

https://valid.x86.fr/9ly8hi

Last edited by Reikoji; 08-21-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in