ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 866 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8651 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Realist
 
chakku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 372
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
Minus offset at least benefits boost behaviour:
Have you confirmed an actual performance boost? Recorded max clocks will increase when you limit voltage on the CPUs because of clock stretching.

PC
(19 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C14D-32GVK
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
STOREMI (Intel 730 Series 240GB + Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 4TB)
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Cooling
Noctua NH D15 SE-AM4
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Satin Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit
Monitor
Dell P2715Q
Monitor
Dell P2715Q
Keyboard
Topre Realforce 87U 55g Uniform (Norbaforce/BT-500 Bluetooth)
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Mousepad
Artisan Hayate Kou
Audio
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Audio
JBL LSR305
Audio
Sennheiser HD6XX
▲ hide details ▲
chakku is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8652 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:05 PM
BOINC Cruncher
 
Keith Myers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 707
Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Takla View Post
So are you actually professionally producing any audio? If not, I don't see what your argument here is, other than some incredible mental gymnastic by you, to try and justify wasting hundreds of dollars.


I don't see anyone "mad" around here but you


I'm assuming you mean this? His comment was in fact misleading. He stated, and I quote "Only the "top 6% of 3900X" they tested can achieve "4.2GHz OC @ 1.250v"!" which is not true. These voltages and clocks only apply during prime95s avx2 load. No real world program with or without avx2 will actually reach these temps, which was the only thing holding them back from further increasing the voltages for a higher clock.
Ha ha ha LOL. I guess all the distributed computing programs that run 24/7 aren't "real-world" programs. I can run the AVX or AVX2 programs for my science projects and the temps are insane even with custom water cooling.

ASUS-Linux
(15 items)
Serenity
(14 items)
Numbskull
(17 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-1660V4
Motherboard
ASUS X99-E-10G-WS
GPU
EVGA 1080TI Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
Zotac 1070Ti Mini
RAM
G.Skill Rampage 3000-CL15
Hard Drive
Adata SU-900
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1600T2
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Monitor
AOC i2269vw 22-Inch
Mouse
Logitech Marble Mouse
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200D-16GTZ TridentZ DDR4
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
XSPC RX 360 radiator XSPC X4 Photon 170 pump/reservoir 3X Noctua NF-A12X25 fans
Case
Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
HP 27xw
Keyboard
Logitech M520 Keyboard/Mouse combo
CPU
AMD 2920X Threadripper
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Hydro
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080XC Hydro Copper
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960EVO
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Pro Neo Threadripper block
Cooling
XSPC X4 Photon 170 Pump/Reservoir times two
Cooling
XSPC RX360 Radiator times two
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25 fan
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Black E-ATX
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
AOC 2367F
▲ hide details ▲
Keith Myers is offline  
post #8653 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Tech Enthusiast
 
oreonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 503
Rep: 40 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by Keith Myers View Post
Ha ha ha LOL. I guess all the distributed computing programs that run 24/7 aren't "real-world" programs. I can run the AVX or AVX2 programs for my science projects and the temps are insane even with custom water cooling.
Oh, what do you mean Keith??? Do you mean that Silicon Lottery tests with Prime 95 AVX2 Because there are ACTUALLY Programs out there that require that level of Stability??? NO WAY!!!! I call this Post Misleading!!!!

Let me see if I can muster up my Temper Tantrum Now... LOL!

I kid I kid, I will shut up now.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
oreonutz is offline  
post #8654 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
 
Takla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 741
Rep: 35 (Unique: 32)
Quote: Originally Posted by Keith Myers View Post
Ha ha ha LOL. I guess all the distributed computing programs that run 24/7 aren't "real-world" programs. I can run the AVX or AVX2 programs for my science projects and the temps are insane even with custom water cooling.
All commonly used real world programs that use avx2 run at least 10°c colder than what prime 95 achieves in less than 10 seconds of being started. (Although from a business standpoint I can totally see why silicon lottery uses the most stressing program, to cover themselves for legality reasons) Your high temps are probably due to leaving the boost on auto? Or maybe your water cooling is just not sufficient enough to transfer the heat away quickly enough (Silicon Lottery, for example, was using a mediocre (by comparison) 240mm All-in-One cooler which of course quickly hit the thermal threshold of 95°c)

Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Oh, what do you mean Keith??? Do you mean that Silicon Lottery tests with Prime 95 AVX2 Because there are ACTUALLY Programs out there that require that level of Stability??? NO WAY!!!! I call this Post Misleading!!!!

Let me see if I can muster up my Temper Tantrum Now... LOL!

I kid I kid, I will shut up now.
Still salty about the fact that a $400 sound card is pure placebo I see. Some people find the truth simply too hard to accept I guess.

Micron E-die Memory Timings Cheat Sheet
Computer #2
(9 items)
Computer #1
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 4GB
RAM
DDR4 2x8GB @3800MHz Micron E-die
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Case
Streacom BC1 Benchtable
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
LG 29WK600-W @30-76Hz FreeSync
CPU
Intel i5 3570k
Motherboard
Asus Z77-A
GPU
Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
RAM
DDR3 4x4GB @1600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 120GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Takla; 08-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Takla is offline  
post #8655 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 PM
BOINC Cruncher
 
Keith Myers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 707
Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Oh, what do you mean Keith??? Do you mean that Silicon Lottery tests with Prime 95 AVX2 Because there are ACTUALLY Programs out there that require that level of Stability??? NO WAY!!!! I call this Post Misleading!!!!

Let me see if I can muster up my Temper Tantrum Now... LOL!

I kid I kid, I will shut up now.
Well for my SETI project I am currently running the MBv8_8.05r3345_avx_linux64 cpu app to crunch cpu tasks. Not too bad for temps but worse than the MBv8_8.22r3711_sse41_amd_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu app. I can keep that app under 80°C normally, more like 76-77° C. But it shaves 3 minutes off the crunch time of the cpu tasks compared to the SSE41 app. But faster crunching means the cpu is doing more work in a shorter time, so the energy usage has to go up. = more heat. But I really hammer the cpu with the MBv8_8.22r3712_avx2_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu app. That one spiked the temps to 95°C.

I just chuckle when I read posts that say so and so programs are an unrealistic test because no program runs that way continuously. Ha Ha ha LOL.

ASUS-Linux
(15 items)
Serenity
(14 items)
Numbskull
(17 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-1660V4
Motherboard
ASUS X99-E-10G-WS
GPU
EVGA 1080TI Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080 Hybrid
GPU
Zotac 1070Ti Mini
RAM
G.Skill Rampage 3000-CL15
Hard Drive
Adata SU-900
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1600T2
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Monitor
AOC i2269vw 22-Inch
Mouse
Logitech Marble Mouse
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200D-16GTZ TridentZ DDR4
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
XSPC RX 360 radiator XSPC X4 Photon 170 pump/reservoir 3X Noctua NF-A12X25 fans
Case
Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
HP 27xw
Keyboard
Logitech M520 Keyboard/Mouse combo
CPU
AMD 2920X Threadripper
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Hydro
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080XC Hydro Copper
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960EVO
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Pro Neo Threadripper block
Cooling
XSPC X4 Photon 170 Pump/Reservoir times two
Cooling
XSPC RX360 Radiator times two
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25 fan
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Black E-ATX
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
AOC 2367F
▲ hide details ▲
Keith Myers is offline  
post #8656 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:12 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Reikoji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,016
Rep: 55 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by chakku View Post
Have you confirmed an actual performance boost? Recorded max clocks will increase when you limit voltage on the CPUs because of clock stretching.
For me its a performance loss.

Don't forget to ground yourself

https://valid.x86.fr/9ly8hi
Reikoji is offline  
post #8657 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,412
Rep: 16 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Takla View Post
All commonly used real world programs that use avx2 run at least 10°c colder than what prime 95 achieves in less than 10 seconds of being started. (Although from a business standpoint I can totally see why silicon lottery uses the most stressing program, to cover themselves for legality reasons) Your high temps are probably due to leaving the boost on auto? Or maybe your water cooling is just not sufficient enough to transfer the heat away quickly enough (Silicon Lottery, for example, was using a mediocre (by comparison) 240mm All-in-One cooler which of course quickly hit the thermal threshold of 95°c)



Still salty about the fact that a $400 sound card is pure placebo I see. Some people find the truth simply too hard to accept I guess.
Why do you believe yourself to be a subject matter expert on so many different things? What are your credentials? Or are you just full of anecdotal evidence that you failed to actually comprehend?

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz @ 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case |
nick name is offline  
post #8658 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Reikoji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,016
Rep: 55 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
Why do you believe yourself to be a subject matter expert on so many different things? What are your credentials? Or are you just full of anecdotal evidence that you failed to actually comprehend?
I bet hes IT of 20 years

Don't forget to ground yourself

https://valid.x86.fr/9ly8hi
Reikoji is offline  
post #8659 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:37 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Baio73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 102
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Call to Action! I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet. But we can definitely help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-G1Ukrg-Wk
Am I blind or I can't see the URL for partecipating to the test?

Baio

Interesting…

I got 6/8 cores hitting 4.392MHz max boost with AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan
4/8 cores hitting 4.342MHz max boos with AMD Ryzen High Perfromance power plan

Second try on Balanced, 4.392MHz but only 4/8 cores.

BIOS 2501

Drivers/BIOS must have some problem…

Baio

CASE Silverstone FT02 CPU AMD Ryzen 3700X COOLER Corsair H80i v2 MOBO Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi RAM 2x8 G.Skill F4-4000C17D-16GTZR PSU Corsair AX860i VGA Sapphire RX 5700 XT DISPLAY Dell U2515H
AUDIO
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition + Logitech G560 SDD Samsung 960PRO nVme 512Gb - Crucial MX500 2Tb INPUT Logitech G903 + Powerplay - G513
Baio73 is offline  
post #8660 of 9849 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Tech Enthusiast
 
oreonutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 503
Rep: 40 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by Takla View Post
All commonly used real world programs that use avx2 run at least 10°c colder than what prime 95 achieves in less than 10 seconds of being started. (Although from a business standpoint I can totally see why silicon lottery uses the most stressing program, to cover themselves for legality reasons) Your high temps are probably due to leaving the boost on auto? Or maybe your water cooling is just not sufficient enough to transfer the heat away quickly enough (Silicon Lottery, for example, was using a mediocre (by comparison) 240mm All-in-One cooler which of course quickly hit the thermal threshold of 95°c)



Still salty about the fact that a $400 sound card is pure placebo I see. Some people find the truth simply too hard to accept I guess.
LOL, sorry, it was unnecessary, I just couldn't help myself. I don't know if you have any experience recording and mixing music, but when you are an Engineer, you want a completely Flat Output. You need to make sure that when you are coloring your palette, that there is nothing in your environment that boosts or attenuates any frequencies, this way when you shape the sound, you are not over (or under) compensating for a harmonic that others will not hear. Its for this reason that you require everything to be as flat as humanly possible. This even extends to the room you are mixing in, but especially starts with your equipment, and most especially your DAC, Clock, and Drivers. Even then you are constantly calibrating to make sure your environment isn't off by even a dB at any frequency. You are still always going to have imperfections, but over time you learn mixing an a particular envelope with a particular system you learn what those deficiencies are by listening to your mixes on a range of different systems, and begin to shape your mixes accordingly. This is why so many Engineers do not like changing the equipment they work on, as I mentioned to the member I was originally discussing this with, the On board sound on the Asus is perfectly adequate for most consumers, even for people starting out mixing, if you have a keen ear you can overcome the issues with it, but its a damn good consumer DAC, definitely better then any other On-Board sound I have listened to. But its no where near flat, it has a boost of around 1.5dB in the 200Hz range, and a sharp fall off with a High Q at around 50Hz, on top of that it also once you get past 8KHz it boosts and attenuates the further up the spectrum you go, if you look at it on a spectrum analyzer its almost like a small roller coaster, its only a delta of about 2db, and even though it does add character to whatever you are listening to, its again, just not flat. There is also a high signal to noise ratio, and after you drive your Monitors to over 75dB using the onboard audio you get some nasty crosstalk between channels, so its just not ideal for professional work. I hope that makes sense. Sorry for being a smart ass, I just get annoyed when people like to be d**ks for no reason, but thats no reason for me to act the same way. Hope that helps explain why certain people, especially audio professionals, but even audio enthusiasts get themselves something better.



Quote: Originally Posted by Keith Myers View Post
Well for my SETI project I am currently running the MBv8_8.05r3345_avx_linux64 cpu app to crunch cpu tasks. Not too bad for temps but worse than the MBv8_8.22r3711_sse41_amd_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu app. I can keep that app under 80°C normally, more like 76-77° C. But it shaves 3 minutes off the crunch time of the cpu tasks compared to the SSE41 app. But faster crunching means the cpu is doing more work in a shorter time, so the energy usage has to go up. = more heat. But I really hammer the cpu with the MBv8_8.22r3712_avx2_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu app. That one spiked the temps to 95°C.

I just chuckle when I read posts that say so and so programs are an unrealistic test because no program runs that way continuously. Ha Ha ha LOL.
Your the man Keith! Still appreciate you getting me hooked back on Ubuntu, its insane the performance difference between Windows on most tasks!

Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
Why do you believe yourself to be a subject matter expert on so many different things? What are your credentials? Or are you just full of anecdotal evidence that you failed to actually comprehend?
This is my fault for continuing this, I don't want this thread to devolve into petty bickering, so I will just try to ignore d**k comments in the future so we can keep our normal level of decorum. You still want some Cookies my brother? What kind do you want??? LOL!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
oreonutz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off