ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread - Page 1114 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

post #11131 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
How do you guys keep your memory and IMC clocks sync'd when going over 3600mhz on the RAM? On BIOS 3004, I get major issues as soon as I set my memory to anything over 3600mhz. Super frustrating, as I've got a (seemingly) pretty nicely binned SoC in my 3900X, based on prior testing with another board.

My Desktop
(9 items)
CPU
AMD 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSI 1080 Ti FE
RAM
32GB (4X 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z @ 3600mhz CL14-15-14-32-48
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 1000W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Define S (4X Noctua 140mm fans)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by Praetorr View Post
How do you guys keep your memory and IMC clocks sync'd when going over 3600mhz on the RAM? On BIOS 3004, I get major issues as soon as I set my memory to anything over 3600mhz. Super frustrating, as I've got a (seemingly) pretty nicely binned SoC in my 3900X, based on prior testing with another board.
I set FCLK manually as well.

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 
post #11133 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 08:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
I set FCLK manually as well.
Interesting, and thanks for responding. So setting FCLK manually is all you do to ensure things stay 1:1:1 > 3600mhz memory speeds? I thought I had tried that, but maybe I also changed some other settings that are bugged.

My Desktop
(9 items)
CPU
AMD 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSI 1080 Ti FE
RAM
32GB (4X 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z @ 3600mhz CL14-15-14-32-48
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 1000W
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Fractal Define S (4X Noctua 140mm fans)
▲ hide details ▲
post #11134 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:48 PM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 32 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by nick name View Post
Aww, that's a bummer on the 1900 FCLK. Mine won't POST at anything higher than 1900 FCLK unless it's just a slight BCLK overclock. And Shamino didn't come back to answer if there is anything else new in the BIOS and I didn't notice anything other than its peculiar behavior that I mentioned before.

Oooh a Vive. I don't have binocular vision so I don't think I'd ever buy one, but I do wish I knew someone that had one so I could see if the experience is diminished for someone that only uses one eye.

I've been looking for an excuse to play with Davinci. What videos do you edit? Work or pleasure?
I don't have binocular vision either, but it seems to work fine for me. Even some 3d! It seems to help me use my eyes together. I wear my distance glasses while using it too.

A friend was doing a #StayAtHome challenge - he climbed the height of Everest, on his stairs at home! He live streamed it and I'm editing the footage from that. So pleased with the way my machine chomps through it!

It's a shame Shamino didn't let us know anything else about future bios. I'm really peeved that we haven't been given proper control of CPU OC in the bios like x570 boards have received - CCD and CCX OCing. It feels like that's another thing we're not getting to try and make us buy a new board.

Having to buy a new board every year if you choose to upgrade your CPU, and want full functionality, seems a bit greedy to me. Remember being told we wouldn't have to upgrade our boards as new chips would run? We don't have to - unless we want the chip to work as advertised.

I'm also at the point where it seems the mess that's in the bioses (duplicate and triplicate settings, some work, some don't) is not going away any time soon either, but it sure feels like we're being left behind all in the name of product stack variation.....a bit like the PCIE debacle - and yes, they could re-enable PCIE4 like they've done on at least 1 of their B450 boards.

Ryzen 9 3900X | Current Bios - 3004 | Crosshair VII Hero | 32GB Patriot Steel 4400CL19 @ 3733CL14 | ADATA SX8200NP 480GB | Fractal Design S36 AIO
Ryzen 5 3500U with Vega 8 GPU | Lenovo IdeaPad C340-14API | 8GB DDR4 2666 @ 2400 (for some reason) | Samsung 981 256GB NVME
About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't. F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
post #11135 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
I don't have binocular vision either, but it seems to work fine for me. Even some 3d! It seems to help me use my eyes together. I wear my distance glasses while using it too.

A friend was doing a #StayAtHome challenge - he climbed the height of Everest, on his stairs at home! He live streamed it and I'm editing the footage from that. So pleased with the way my machine chomps through it!

It's a shame Shamino didn't let us know anything else about future bios. I'm really peeved that we haven't been given proper control of CPU OC in the bios like x570 boards have received - CCD and CCX OCing. It feels like that's another thing we're not getting to try and make us buy a new board.

Having to buy a new board every year if you choose to upgrade your CPU, and want full functionality, seems a bit greedy to me. Remember being told we wouldn't have to upgrade our boards as new chips would run? We don't have to - unless we want the chip to work as advertised.

I'm also at the point where it seems the mess that's in the bioses (duplicate and triplicate settings, some work, some don't) is not going away any time soon either, but it sure feels like we're being left behind all in the name of product stack variation.....a bit like the PCIE debacle - and yes, they could re-enable PCIE4 like they've done on at least 1 of their B450 boards.
Ahhh well the only time I think a 3D movie has worked for me is at the edges of scenes where I am using peripheral vision. I only have direct vision in one eye at a time and the other eye is only peripheral vision. I can switch between them though so that's fun. I almost got caught when renewing my license once after I thought I had read all the lines displayed through the machine and the lady administering the test was like . . . aaaaand so I quickly switched eyes and completed the test.

And I'd like some CCD and CCX control in BIOS as well. I think I'm gonna stick with 4400 CCD1 and 4300 CCD2 at 1.3V for daily use. The few loads that take advantage of max speeds are brief and unimportant.

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 
post #11136 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 03:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Hey guys,

Currently having some weird issues after using the calculator. I have Ryzen 3600 on a Crosshair VII Hero with kit of 16GB Samsung B-die 3200 CL14.

Soooo...I used the calculator to set the fast timings for 3600 Mhz on the memory and it worked, even thou i get 2-3 cold boots every time i start the pc once it passes that it works flawlessly and passes every test. Now, the issue appears if try to revert back to stock xmp profile or any other set of settings for the memory. The system will not completely boot. It will want to reach the bios screen but as soon as it reaches that point it restarts and the only way to get out of it is to either clear cmos or shut down the system to trigger the oc fail message. So right now i am stuck with a motherboard that will only boot with the fast preset at 3600 or with everything on auto and so the memory will be at 2133.

I have tried everything i can think of, reflash to an older bios, clear c-mos and remove the battery, tried with a different kit of ram ...and the same happens even thou it is completely different and not b-die. I am out if ideas...did anyone experience such a thing ?
post #11137 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 04:19 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 32 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToguroSR View Post
Hey guys,

Currently having some weird issues after using the calculator. I have Ryzen 3600 on a Crosshair VII Hero with kit of 16GB Samsung B-die 3200 CL14.

Soooo...I used the calculator to set the fast timings for 3600 Mhz on the memory and it worked, even thou i get 2-3 cold boots every time i start the pc once it passes that it works flawlessly and passes every test. Now, the issue appears if try to revert back to stock xmp profile or any other set of settings for the memory. The system will not completely boot. It will want to reach the bios screen but as soon as it reaches that point it restarts and the only way to get out of it is to either clear cmos or shut down the system to trigger the oc fail message. So right now i am stuck with a motherboard that will only boot with the fast preset at 3600 or with everything on auto and so the memory will be at 2133.

I have tried everything i can think of, reflash to an older bios, clear c-mos and remove the battery, tried with a different kit of ram ...and the same happens even thou it is completely different and not b-die. I am out if ideas...did anyone experience such a thing ?
What method do you use to flash your bios? You should be using FlashBack with bios on USB stick.

Ryzen 9 3900X | Current Bios - 3004 | Crosshair VII Hero | 32GB Patriot Steel 4400CL19 @ 3733CL14 | ADATA SX8200NP 480GB | Fractal Design S36 AIO
Ryzen 5 3500U with Vega 8 GPU | Lenovo IdeaPad C340-14API | 8GB DDR4 2666 @ 2400 (for some reason) | Samsung 981 256GB NVME
About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't. F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
post #11138 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
What method do you use to flash your bios? You should be using FlashBack with bios on USB stick.
I have tried all the options...bios flashback, internet, ezflash ...nothing seems to work ...so i can not set any other settings for the memory...any kit of memory ...this ridiculous ....i mean i had my fair share of issues with the crosshair vi and the vii .....but this pretty much just makes me want go a different route in the future ...
post #11139 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Overclocker from Hell

Kick your mem volt a notch or two and set mem boot to 1.45.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToguroSR View Post
Hey guys,

MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero/Bios:7704/Cpu:Ryzen 3900x @ 4.225Ghz All [email protected](1.315)
Ram: GSkill F4-3200C14D-16GTZR @ 3800MHz, 16-17-16-17-32-48-294-1T, 1.425v
Gfx: EVGa 1080Ti GTX FTW DT
SSD: Samsung 960 NMVe Evo 500 GB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000G+
Cooling: EKWB L360 Kit
Temps: Cpu: 32c Ambient / 36c @ Idle / 85c @ 100% Load
post #11140 of 11417 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 09:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kildar View Post
Kick your mem volt a notch or two and set mem boot to 1.45.
Tried that too ...tried different settings from the calculator also ....nothing works ....all i can do is stay with the 3600 fast preset. I will send the board to rma next month ....so that i can get smt to put my cpu on until it comes back. I did manage to post with XMP with agesa 0.0.7.2 ...the first one that supports Ryzen 3000....but as soon as i flashed back to the latest bios or the one before that ....bam ....back to this. The thing is ....it did work properly when the 3004 first appeared ....everything went haywire after using the fast preset from the calculator...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in