[Official] Heatkiller Club - Page 381 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Heatkiller Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3801 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Tetrapyloctomist
 
Aenra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,369
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by Watercool-Jakob View Post
Thank you guys for the feedback, it is highly valuable for us! I didn't anticipate this direction. Maybe, I should have added an "don't want watercooling on the VRMs" as an option
I thank you for taking both the good and the bad into account, and with a similarly positive disposition at that!

Pride, honour and purity.
Aenra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3802 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Founder
 
LiquidHaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,956
Rep: 76 (Unique: 70)
Well I want separate VRM and PCH blocks on my Aorus Xtreme because it's just that...XTREME.

I have yet to boot the board up yet as I am waiting for my 3900X to come in on Thursday (wont even be in town when it arrives) but as always I am planning out a loop design for the build.

Being that the Xtreme has a connected heat pipe to the VRM heatsink, It will be tough for me to slap a waterblock on the PCH only. I would have to cut the heatpipe off the VRM heatsinks and that will SUCK since they need to stay connected.



So for that board, it's essentially needed for both a VRM and PCH block.

There won't be many sales for the Xtreme as there will be for the lower end boards (AMD customers statistically spend less than Intel customers) and so because of that, there won't be many $700 board owners running around out there, and that's for all manufacturers that made a $700 board.

It is indeed time for the lower end boards to get some love, that I will not disagree with. But at the same time I secretly hope some blocks get made for the Aorus Xtreme lol.

www.liquid.haus
Team Heatkiller
LiquidHaus is offline  
post #3803 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
pmc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 325
Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidHaus View Post
Well I want separate VRM and PCH blocks on my Aorus Xtreme because it's just that...XTREME.

I have yet to boot the board up yet as I am waiting for my 3900X to come in on Thursday (wont even be in town when it arrives) but as always I am planning out a loop design for the build.

Being that the Xtreme has a connected heat pipe to the VRM heatsink, It will be tough for me to slap a waterblock on the PCH only. I would have to cut the heatpipe off the VRM heatsinks and that will SUCK since they need to stay connected.



So for that board, it's essentially needed for both a VRM and PCH block.

There won't be many sales for the Xtreme as there will be for the lower end boards (AMD customers statistically spend less than Intel customers) and so because of that, there won't be many $700 board owners running around out there, and that's for all manufacturers that made a $700 board.

It is indeed time for the lower end boards to get some love, that I will not disagree with. But at the same time I secretly hope some blocks get made for the Aorus Xtreme lol.
All you'll achieve is completely messing up the look of the board, clutter everywhere, and reducing flow in the rest of your loop, where it is needed.

The VRM is so overbuilt on that board that you'd barely see a temperature reduction by water cooling it when running huge voltages on LN2. It's completely pointless.

Watercooling the PCH ... it's just facepalm. You already have a perfect solution on that board. Heatpipe to the VRM heatsink.

All the IR camera photos I've seen of the boards above $200 so far show the the heatsinks barely getting warm at 4.3-4.4 all core OC, up to 1.45V, doing Cinebench or Prime 95. i.e. they're under or around 30C.

I'll state again. Water cooling is COMPLETELY useless for VRM if you have a decent X570 board.
pmc25 is offline  
post #3804 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
GAN77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 171
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by pmc25 View Post

I'll state again. Water cooling is COMPLETELY useless for VRM if you have a decent X570 board.


It is your opinion. As they say - the taste and color of comrades is not. Someone DDR4 cools, this is also not necessary.
GAN77 is offline  
post #3805 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
pmc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 325
Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by GAN77 View Post
It is your opinion. As they say - the taste and color of comrades is not. Someone DDR4 cools, this is also not necessary.
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. You can't and won't improve performance or cooling with a water block. All you will do is diminish flow rate, thereby reducing performance around the rest of the loop.

Cooling DDR4, whilst most people consider it not worth the effort, will potentially improve performance, temperatures & stability, and allow you to either go higher clocks, or more likely, lower timings.

The VRMs - to state it yet again - on the higher end X570 boards, are massively overbuilt. They don't get hot. Simple as. On the really overbuilt ones, the existing heatsinks don't really serve any function either, other than protecting them from damage.

This isn't X299 / Z390, which have a combination of potentially insane power draw / amperages, and weak VRMs.
pmc25 is offline  
post #3806 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
GAN77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 171
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by pmc25 View Post

The VRMs - to state it yet again - on the higher end X570 boards, are massively overbuilt. .

I may agree with you.
But not all boards will be such as the example below.

GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master

The VRM is in a 12+2 phase configuration, and it's a true 12 phase that doesn't utilize doublers
Both the CPU VCC and SoC VRMs use International Rectifier 50A IR3556 PowIRstages, and are controlled by the Infineon XDPE132G5C digital PWM controller.
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/90...ew/index3.html
GAN77 is offline  
post #3807 of 3807 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Section31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 338
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I bought the AM4 conversion Kit and am wondering what is the nut that is used to hold the mounting screws (on backside of motherboard). Not sure if it was suppose to be included or do I have to find it among the parts from the regular IV block kit (intel). Worse I look among my other cpu blocks to see if i can find something that can perform the same role.

Disregards, apparently the cpu backplate feel off when i was removing the screws to install the waterblock.

Last edited by Section31; 07-18-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Section31 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off