Discussion Starter #1
[ 01.29.11 ]
Permalink: New PSU, mesh cover

[ 01.14.11 ]
Permalink: A couple little additions

[ 01.06.10 ]

Permalink: Audioengine 5 hath arrived

[ 12.30.09 ]

Permalink: Rig assembly + finished build -- pictures galore!

[ 12.23.09 ]

Permalink: Mounting Drives

[ 12.22.09 ]

Permalink: PCI Slot Covers, 40x20mm Northbridge Fans

[ 12.21.09 ]

Permalink: Fans Arrive!

[ 12.20.09 ]

Permalink: RAM, HDD, SSD (Boxed)
Permalink: Case Pictures!

[ 12.12.09 ]

Welcome! Thanks for looking. Right now I'm in the process of ordering up parts for my build... I've received a few things already, a few items are mid-shipment, and there are a few that I have yet to order. Because I'm looking for very specific fans (the smoke/white Xigmateks) that aren't really available in the States, my whole build is kind of delayed until my order for those can ship. The estimated date I was given on those is Dec. 16th -- I'm not sure how reputable the retailer is, but it was the only place I could find these fans, so I'm just crossing my fingers. On the 16th I'll order the rest of my items, and once everything arrives I'll start putting it together. I'll be updating this thread with pictures and/or video once she's all done.

Essential Components
- $404.99 - EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 X58 Classified Motherboard
- $288.99 - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
- $249.99 - Mushkin Redline 998691 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 6-7-6-18 Memory
- $299.99 - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2R5 2.5'' 80GB SATA II Internal Solid State Disk
- $99.99 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5'' Internal Hard Drive

- $109.99 - Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Drive SATA Black
- $324.99 -

Audioengine 5 2.0 Speakers Audioengine 5 2.0 Speakers
Chasis, Cooling, Accessories
- $224.99 - Danger Den Torture Rack Acrylic Case (@ smoke panels)
- $79.99 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow (Megahalem) Nickel Plated "Black Edition" CPU Heatsink
- $6.99 - OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound
- $5.95 - ArctiClean 1 & 2 Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier
- $58.50 - 6x Xigmatek XLF-F1254 120x120x25mm White LED Case Fan
- $17.90 - 2x ACE 40 x 20mm LED Fan White (sleeve: black; heatshrink: red)
- $14.99 - Antec SpotCool Case Fan
- $12.00 - 4x 120mm Black Fan Grill
- $5.00 - 10x 3/4" Adjustable Cable Clamp
- $3.00 - 2x 1/2" Tie Mount (5 Pack)
- $20.48 - 8x Custom-Length Black Oxide Thumbscrew 6-32
- $10.32 - 4x Custom-Length Black Oxide Thumbscrew M3
- $3.99 - Thumbscrews Anodized Aluminum - Black (Set of 10) 6-32
- $1.16 - 4x Fan Screws - Black - Set of 4
- $2.58 - 2x Fan Screws - Stainless Steel Black Oxide - Set of 4
- $5.95 - 3M Scotch 4010 Industrial Strength Double Sided Mounting Tape
- $5.98 - 2x Akust PCI Slot Ventilation - Mesh Material - 3 Pack
- $2.49 - Mainboard Glass Washers (Set of 8)
- $3.99 - Oscillation Prevented Gum Washer (Set of 8)
- $3.29 - Oscillation Prevented Silicon Washer (Set of 8)

Software
- $139.99 - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-pack for System Builders OEM

Carryovers
→ EVGA GeForce GTX 260 GPU
→ Corsair TX-850W Power Supply
→ Gateway 24'' 1920x1200 FHD2401 Monitor
→ Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
→ Razer DeathAdder
→ Razer eXactMat
→ Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones

So, to curb the cost a bit, I'm bringing a few pieces over from my old/current machine. After my build, those will be the items I concentrate on upgrading first. Once the 300-series cards come out I'll look at upgrading my GPU... I'd like to pick up a blu-ray drive, one of the modular Corsair PSUs, and I really need new speakers... this stuff will have to tide me over until then, though.

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism, approval, whatever, is all welcome... stay tuned for some results... pictures, benchmarks, temperatures, etc. Thanks for looking, see you later.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I am getting a USB 3.0 board, but that classy will rape. This whole build will rape, SSD's real good case, real good motherboard, great heatsink.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah you might want to look into an X58 board with USB 3.0 and Sata 6.0, but aside from that really good stuff. Also, I know they are selling i7 920's at microcenter or w/e for 200 USD

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there's no Microcenter near me, unfortunately. None that I know of in Oregon, anyways. The only things I have left to order are the hard drives, motherboard, and cpu... I'll probably snag the HDDs from Newegg and then go buy the Classy/920 from Fry's.

I'd like to have USB3 and SATA3, but I really had my eye set on the Classified for its looks and OC performance... plus, EVGA has never done me wrong and they have great customer support. I haven't heard about any EVGA motherboard refreshes due out in the immediate future. =/

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMfanatic
View Post

Why the crazy expensive RAM? Or maybe I'm just unknowledgeable.

I've heard a lot of great things about overclocking with this RAM. I was originally going to get Corsair Dominators, but whatever issue they were having with their Elpida Hyper chips seemed to cause a lot of problems with EVGA's boards in particular, and I just wanted to play it totally safe by avoiding that potential conflict altogether.

The Mushkin Redlines have amazing timings... not that it would be completely noticable, but that provides a lot of headroom too, to loosen them up and bump up the memory speed.

Third, but not least (okay, maybe least -- but it's still nice!) these modules look pretty damn slick on a Classified board.

After reading a billion different reviews and seeing the results of a billion different user setups, I came to the conclusion that this was great quality memory and would serve my purposes best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i payed $146 AUD for my 3 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill PI 1600MHz with good timings i dont see the value of adding $100 for a few better looks - i would do a RAID0 on that SSD, and get a 1.5TB hdd (it's not that much more, like $30 more i think)

this build is kind of similar to mine, but with a SSD.

you having plans to watercool this badboy in the future?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazza-
View Post

you having plans to watercool this badboy in the future?

I like to think that I might "graduate" to liquid cooling in the future, but if I do, it will probably be a good six months down the road... I've got a lot of other plans for this build that are taking priority. Even after I'm up and running, I'll still have to get new speakers, a new video card, a blu-ray drive... I want to pick up a slightly bigger PSU, and I'll probably take that opportunity to heatshrink and sleeve all the wires for a nice sleek look.

I'm thinking that once this case arrives I'll go ahead and pick up some hardware... black screws and nuts, thumbscrews, a couple hinges, and some modder's mesh to craft myself a nice swing-open door for the whole bottom part of the case. That will hide all the drives and the power supply, should be pretty nifty.

I'm probably going to ditch the little Noiseblocker fan I picked up and try to find some good white LED 40mm fans for the Classified's Northbridge to match my smoke/white Xigmateks before I get it all put together.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Placed three orders today. I didn't order any steel mesh because I wasn't sure of the size they'd ship, so as far as the metal mesh, hinges, etc., go I'll have to drop by Lowes or Home Depot or something and see if they have what I need.

But I did order this stuff:

Because the acrylic panels are so thick on the Torture Rack case I had to order up custom-length black thumbscrews... that was expensive as hell (over $30 for 12 screws), but whatever... I'll bite that bullet. And now my hard drives are on their way!

Besides the case modding materials, all that's left to buy are the motherboard and processor. I'll be doing that locally, soon, assuming that this hole-in-the-wall online store comes through and actually ships my case fans out on the 16th like they said they would.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Where in oregon are you located? Should be an interesting build!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small update: I received my Torture Rack, Intel X25-M, and Caviar Black in the mail. I haven't assembled the case yet, but I peeled some of the paper coating off and took a peak at the smoke acrylic panels -- they look great. I work ten hour shifts, so I'll be gone until 1 AM tomorrow, but I'm going to put the case together on Sunday and I'll be able to post some pictures at that point. I may or may not do that metal mesh case mod Sunday night, but if not it should be either Monday or Tuesday.

I got an e-mail from the place I ordered my smoke Xigmatek fans from, and they finally shipped out today. Once that shipment (and my order from performance-pcs.com) arrives I'll be able to make the trip out to Fry's for my mobo/CPU. I'm estimating that the computer will be all put together somewhere between Tuesday the 22nd and Tuesday the 29th.

Once she's up and running I think I'm just going to throw these piece-of-crap Logitech speakers in the dumpster and use my nice Technics headphones until I can afford some really nice 2.0's (Audioengine A5, perhaps?
) There's also a chance that a blu-ray drive might make it into this build on day-one... we'll see. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwnage of Death
View Post

DUDE RELLY get Ram here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220441
its $139

plus you can get another GTX 260 with the savings and run them in SLI and extra misc

Well... a) I already bought the memory, and b) That's not the memory I wanted. Appreciate the suggestion, tho'...

I went ahead and put my case together. Took about two hours. Dust is pretty obvious in some of these pictures, but you can't tell in person. It just looks like sex. =)

- - -

Inside the box....

Laid out on the counter.

I/O shield and motherboard tray attached to the back plate.

Bottom plate is now on.

One more piece to go!

Aaaand... there she is.

Straight on, lower light.

Again without any lighting behind it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nobody digs the case? Sad. Well, here's a shot of the memory, hard disk drive, and solid state drive.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
looking good!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts