Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What temp diffrence would it make if i changed the diameter of the tubing? Isntead of 1/2 get 3/8. I'm finding there is no way to get the 1/2 tubing outside the case without cutting something.
What kind of temp change are we talking about here? 3 or 4 degrees?

·
Registered
249 Posts
well 3/8 is smaller then 1/2 so youre restricting water flow some but it might create a bottleneck trying to get out of your case, but what kind of case do you have, any pictures? like some people just get a tiny window kit and feed it out the little window

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
it would be tough to guess but assuming your not going for best possible temps 3/8 would probably not make a huge difference.

·
Registered
249 Posts
no im not saying that it most likely will a few degrees celcius maybe one or two but you wont really know your potential because you dont have it hooked up up all on 1/2 inch tubing but when your leaving your case to go to 3/8 you would be going right into the radiator? is your pump on the inside of your case? specifics helps on what we can help you with like what type of case, links, pictures.

im guessing this is what you have for a case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112086

so why cant you exit your case staying 1/2 inches?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you can tell me where i can get out of the case with all the fans and the power supply, and with the sides of the case on - then im all ears.

Everything else will be inside the case - except for the rad. But if im going to put in 3/8 tubing does it make sense to have a big bad radiator outside the case?

·
Registered
249 Posts
i think that a 77' Pontiac Bonneville heater core is the way to go and it uses 1/2, but do you feel confident just modding your case? you can buy some really sick looking window kits or simply a dremmel and just cut out tiny rectangle on the side or back to feed the tubes

·
Registered
249 Posts
you want to stay away from the modding? i think that modding does give it the look of *Bling**Bling* but how do you plan to get a 3/8 tube out of the case? where are you making it exit? that can help some

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Using 1/2 Primoflex, I was able to route it out the back PCI slots, it didn't scratch or rip or tear at all and still get 1/2" flow. I'd suggest you do that; moving to 3/8" is difficult, try to find a pump.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

Using 1/2 Primoflex, I was able to route it out the back PCI slots, it didn't scratch or rip or tear at all and still get 1/2" flow. I'd suggest you do that; moving to 3/8" is difficult, try to find a pump.

u wouldnt happen to have a pic?

EDIT: found the tubing on frozencpu

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HatedEnemY

you want to stay away from the modding? i think that modding does give it the look of *Bling**Bling* but how do you plan to get a 3/8 tube out of the case? where are you making it exit? that can help some

im using pci cover slots that have holes for 3/8 tubing to go through.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
looking at ur case there shouldnt be a problem with using a 1/2 tube., ur case has plenty of room to go around specially now ur eliminating a big chunk of HEATSINK. are u using raid or single HDD? cuz if its a single hard drive u can buy those adapters for the HDD to fit the 5.25 bay, u have 4 slots on the 5.25 bay i doubt u will be using all 4. and seeing how everything is inverted in the inside (mother board) u will have enough space / clearance to place the pump or a cylinder reservoir.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse

looking at ur case there shouldnt be a problem with using a 1/2 tube., ur case has plenty of room to go around specially now ur eliminating a big chunk of HEATSINK. are u using raid or single HDD? cuz if its a single hard drive u can buy those adapters for the HDD to fit the 5.25 bay, u have 4 slots on the 5.25 bay i doubt u will be using all 4. and seeing how everything is inverted in the inside (mother board) u will have enough space / clearance to place the pump or a cylinder reservoir.

thats what i was going to do in the first place. With a 120 sized rad in the front. I had it all planned out with 1/2 tubing then someone suggested to get a larger radiator outside the case for optimum temps.

So whats better a 120 sized rad with 1/2 tubing
or
A 240 or bigger rad with 3/8 tubing??

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
You can make the 1/2" tubing work with the 2x120 rad outside your case. Take the holes from 3/8" to 5/8" (5/8 will probably be the outter demention of your 1/2) and add 5/8ID grommets. If 5/8 is the exact size of the PCI slot still drill the holes and then epoxy the grommets to the PCI bracket.

• Rep+
Reactions: timsvpr

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

You can make the 1/2" tubing work with the 2x120 rad outside your case. Take the holes from 3/8" to 5/8" (5/8 will probably be the outter demention of your 1/2) and add 5/8ID grommets. If 5/8 is the exact size of the PCI slot still drill the holes and then epoxy the grommets to the PCI bracket.

this is what i planned on using. I measured a pci slot cover and its 3/4" wide. If i get the tygon 1/2" tubing that has an outside diameter of 3/4" i might be ok.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I personally would just make my own like I said. Save yourself $10 or however much it cost. Make sure you get grommets so the tubing dosen't end up getting cut.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
I have mine through the PCI slots here lemme show ya...I had to mod them a bit for the slot i wouldnt use though, its best to go through the very bottom slot that you wont ever use...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts