Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1.5 years ago I began my first real gaming build. If you look at this thred:
http://www.overclock.net/t/794775/core-i7-980x-tri-watercooled-gtx-480

You can see at the time I spared no expense, (980x, 3 GTX480 SLI, SSD, 16 gigs of ram, fully watercooled. It really was a lot of fun to build, and if you skip to the end, you can see that the OCed benchmarks I achieved were excellent. I think at 1 point i was number 12 outside of Nitrogen rigs on 3d mark.

Flash forward, that rig has performed outstandingly, but right now im 600 miles from it, living in a hotel for work on a long term basis. I bought a decent laptop, but.....well you can imagine how spoiled I was by that rig.

So what im going to do, is build a rig, not going full bore, mmmm maybe 3/4s bore, and watercooling is out of the picture, as I dont feel like lugging that around from hotel to hotle,

So far I have settled on HAX X for case and.....Well I ordered tjhat today.

Goals:
1. Have a great rig on the road.
2. Comapre costs of that rig with this one
3. Compare performance of that rig with this one.

More to come, RacWisco

·
Registered
146 Posts
HAF X has wheels that come with it, be careful not to break them off like my friend did because that thing is huge and a pain to carry around. Happy building
tongue.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Definitely intrigued...

Why not just use a giant Pelican case? lol.

And why a full blown rig? Why not a smaller mATX beast?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pelican or a music style case actually crossed my mind, and the Micro ATX is out, because im goin Tri SLI, Large Air CPU cooler, and 2 SSDs in Raid 0. Unlike many I need a fairly robust computer for work also, (Geology for Oil Companies, several hoggish proprietary programs, and I usually have 6-7 programs open at once for work, (And Itunes in World of Tanks when i need a break
biggrin.gif
Just placed order:

HAF X
ASUS Maximus 4 Z
i7 2700k
Rosewill 1000 watt power supply, (Little concerned with this but 79 dollars?) Will get a different power supply if needed
2 EVGA Gtx 580s, new, and i just picked up a used one on Cragslist
Zalman NPS 9900 CPU Cooler
2 Corsair 256 gb SATA 3.0 SSDs
16 MB Corsair Vengeance RAM
WD 2TB Data Drive, SATA 3.0
2 optional fans for HAF X (Top and VGA duct)
Arctic Silver 5 Paste

Pretty Robust set up, and quite a bit cheaper than my last rig. Will be interesting to see how performance comapres.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Why Tri-Sli when you could quad sli? lol

And why not opt for a closed liquid setup like a corsair or antec?

Looks good
smile.gif

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Main reason for TRI VS Quad is trying to stay close to the other system in some ways, and have always wanted to try one of the big Air coolers. Also I forgot I also ordered a Clarion XT Halo and need a slot for that and daughter card, Bob. BTW, my last trip home i picked up my Ducky Mechanical and my RAT 9.0 mouse.
redface.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
lol. If I were you I would have gone with the CM Trooper case or something. lol. Handle could come in handy
tongue.gif

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, have the Zalman 9900 MAX Cooler installed to motherboard, installed IO backplate, mmmm installed my optiona top fan and installed the optional VGA duct fan in the duct, and....oh yeah installed the power supply, (all during my lunch hour mind you. All smooth, ass usual, CPU cooler made me wish for tiny fingers but not that bad. Directions were outdated were for an older model, but Zalman website had a nice little flash movie, and the newest directions. Biggest problem was one of the screws was very dificult, and the heatsinks on the Motherboard were blocing that corner. May get to motherboard tonite, after American idol of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts