Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wonder if it would be okay to run a 1090t at 1.55v for everyday gaming and daily use how have the cpu for quiet some time

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not recommended, at all. I would say 1.37 is my limit for everyday usage. I would lower the overclock a bit if you are at that high of voltage.

On second thought, what are your temps? I would cut it at 1.5v if you have good temps.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i've had mixed readings since some say yeah it's fine if you had good cooling and so far in bf3 maxed out at 1920x1080 my cpu does not exceed 32c on the core. i plan to add a single 120 in the loop so my idle temps and load temps will drop a bit. im sitting at 1.5v at 4305mhz
here is what i am at

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Oh ok, those are pretty good. Most prefer not to run anything over 1.5v just for 4.3Ghz, try disabling 2 of your cores if you see they are never used. Then you could drop the voltage quite a bit.

·
I heard you were dead...
8,508 Posts
1.55v is really high for 24/7, but if your temps are good and you're comfortable with it it won't kill your CPU outright...

The most I have tried on my CPU is 1.51, and that ran a bit hot.

Sent from my rotary phone using Dial-a-talk.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not be rude i would never disable a core. i want to hit 4.4ghz i did it before but after 1 hour of gaming when i got to the speed bf3 started to crash i want to push the cpu as far as possible i would update the bios but the latest for my cpu is a beta so i would not have control over cool and quiet and c1e and other stuff i disable so i used the one right below it. but i think for my games the single 6950 unlocked with 960-1525 is is bottlenecking my cpu.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post

Not recommended, at all. I would say 1.37 is my limit for everyday usage. I would lower the overclock a bit if you are at that high of voltage.
On second thought, what are your temps? I would cut it at 1.5v if you have good temps.
Actually when Turbo core is active Thubans kick up to 1.475 volts anyways so 1.4v-1.45v is completely safe for a 1090T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumby21 View Post

well i've had mixed readings since some say yeah it's fine if you had good cooling and so far in bf3 maxed out at 1920x1080 my cpu does not exceed 32c on the core. i plan to add a single 120 in the loop so my idle temps and load temps will drop a bit. im sitting at 1.5v at 4305mhz
here is what i am at
That's a major misconception about overclocking. You can have reasonably low temps and still do damage. Voltage is actually the biggest killer of computers - not heat. A lot of people run at 1.5v 24/7 but I wouldn't recommend it personally. A vcore that high is really only for people who upgrade every few years so they aren't worried about longevity.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay i do plan to get piledriver or maybe the 8core 8120 and a new mobo which would help drop the vcore by a max of .025 which would put me at 1.475. just kinda short on things to get it atm.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:

not be rude i would never disable a core. i want to hit 4.4ghz i did it before but after 1 hour of gaming when i got to the speed bf3 started to crash i want to push the cpu as far as possible i would update the bios but the latest for my cpu is a beta so i would not have control over cool and quiet and c1e and other stuff i disable so i used the one right below it. but i think for my games the single 6950 unlocked with 960-1525 is is bottlenecking my cpu.
Ok well disabling cores is totally a personal preference. Just saying I wouldn't ever run anything over 1.5v for 4.3GHz on 6 cores. Disabling 2 cores would definitely give you a lower voltage AND OR a higher overclock on 4 cores. It all depends, if you even use those extra cores since pretty much all games aren't optimized for 6 threads.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is stable bf3 stable and my benchmarks like 3dmark11 and heaven prime i tested but don't want to run my cpu for more then 8 hours i hit a max about 45 give or take don't remember i do not plan to run again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I run my 1090T 4,3 ghz from 1.5375-1.55 V in bios 24/7 more then 6 months with LLC enabled and didn't have any issue so far. When i play BF3 gpu temp raise to maximum 45-50 C and CPU 40 C maximum on ambient 22 C. I also primed CPU at 4.3 ghz with 1.5375 V LLC enabled, stable for 12 h at 22 C ambient.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I've ran 3.8Ghz on my x3 720 at 1.6v almost 24/7 for the last 3 years. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That possibly aint running at 24C. Mine idles at 24 and Ive even seen posts on forums of theirs reporting down to 19 which is BELOW what the temperature of their room is which is impossible.

The X6 1090 has a screwed up temp sensor and its up to 10 degrees off. I would go by the motherboard's CPU socket temp instead to be safe. See what the socket temp is and then compare it to the CPU temp. The socket temp should be a few degrees hotter but not 10+. If it is, then your CPU is likely reporting a little on the cool side.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well that is the idle temps which i showed and my room is about 21c during gaming and about 19 to 20c at idle and browsing on the web idk which tempin is for socket temps. they all show the same thing in speed fan and hwmonitor

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder how nice that would clock under water, good batch!

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
How long do you want to keep the same processor.
1-2 years then 1.55-1.6v no problem as long as its ran cool.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Quote:

well that is the idle temps which i showed and my room is about 21c during gaming and about 19 to 20c at idle and browsing on the web idk which tempin is for socket temps. they all show the same thing in speed fan and hwmonitor
Just saying be careful. There are lots of Thubans out there reading 10C cool so its just something to note. I don't think mine is that far off but I go by the socket temp cause itll be higher than the core temp anyway so if its under 60 then proc will be as well. Mine is usually 5-6C off from the socket temp so mine might be right but I still use the socket temp to be safe.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wonder how much lower i can trop the voltage when i get a 990fx board switching from a 890gx board. i've heard that you can overclock higher with a better board. right now the cpu is at 1.5v and running 4.3ghz stable so far out of the whole month i had it oc'd this far it ran one hiccup as in a freein bf3 but i upped the voltage and speed of the northbridge and i will see how long it will last without any hiccups.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts