Its just down clocking when its not in use. Its normal

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeefx
View Post

Really I found it weird?

I forget the setting, but yes its normal. Your CPU is downclocking and undervolting itself at idle, to save power when it doesn't need it (and temperatures).

Mine downclocks as well to 1.6GHz at idle, and 1.05v. As soon as I put any sort of a load to it, it goes up to 4.66GHz, 1.36v though.

With Sandy Bridge, that's the way to overclock it, as it tends to run more stable that way too.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I was running CPUid and when i leave my pc idle it's at 1.6ghz.
Is that normal.
It's a i7 2600 @3.4ghz.

You can disable the power saving features (speedstep, or something of that nature..I don't remember exactly) on the mobo to have it run at full power all the time, if you want. I did it on my rig.

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Quote:

View Post

If you now Minecraft.
When I play it it's still 1.6.
Any Ideas?

Minecraft uses almost no CPU power at all. If you don't need the power, it won't use it.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Aslo, CPU-Z doesn't update correctly or at least not enough on SB chips. They did it on purpose for easier validations. Your multiplier and voltage is constantly changing on SB chips with the power saving features enabled. I mean like several times a second or more. Use ThrottleStop to see the real speeds/multipliers and what states the processor is really in at any given time. You will be surprised on how often it changes states. If you click the "More Data" button, it refreshes over 8 times a second and shows how fast and often it changes, it is crazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.