Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,well about a week back i got my new system (see below) currently out of action (doa mobo,possible gpu screwed aswell
)so i'm back on this system,and it got me thinking about a gaming server,and basicly i want to know if it is overclockable and whether it would be good enough to run a server for wolfenstein et/rtcw ?

also what kinda of slot processors (duel) could match the above if any?e.g. pIII's in duel many thanks

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztec

hey,well about a week back i got my new system (see below) currently out of action (doa mobo,possible gpu screwed aswell
)so i'm back on this system,and it got me thinking about a gaming server,and basicly i want to know if it is overclockable and whether it would be good enough to run a server for wolfenstein et/rtcw ?

also what kinda of slot processors (duel) could match the above if any?e.g. pIII's in duel many thanks

oh the willy, I had one, lapped, same speed, got 2.2GHz out of the junker.. really a POS processor (sorry) 1.8um tech, eats power, your better off investing in a 1.8GHz northy or something like that... the stock 1.7v of the willy will get you nowhere to start, heck I had to give mine 2v just to get the thing to boot at 2.25GHz.. Well, for servers, how much memory are you packin in that? You can't dual those processors unfortunatly, intel came out with Xeons by that time..

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

oh the willy, I had one, lapped, same speed, got 2.2GHz out of the junker.. really a POS processor (sorry) 1.8um tech, eats power, your better off investing in a 1.8GHz northy or something like that... the stock 1.7v of the willy will get you nowhere to start, heck I had to give mine 2v just to get the thing to boot at 2.25GHz.. Well, for servers, how much memory are you packin in that? You can't dual those processors unfortunatly, intel came out with Xeons by that time..

He's probably running socket 423 so moving to a northwood would mean at the least finding a 423 to 478 converter.

Might as well keep the machine as it is and not spend any real money on it. What is the motherboard? It's RDRAM? How much RAM is in it? Memory is a big thing and if it is RDRAM well, that will certainly make that Willy move better.

R

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mobo is mirco star (i think thats right),yer it's sdram it's only got 256mb in at the moment but if i was to use it for a server it would at least have 512mb-1gb,cheers for the info wowza,i might just build an amd for media/running a server it would only cost about 150-220gbp if i did..but if that happens might have a muck-about with the willy and see what i could do..if i mess it up then it'll be no real lose

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
SDRAM will kill the performance of that Willy to the point that it will be slower tick for tick than a Pentium 3 Coppermine and easily beaten by a Pentium 3 Tualatin.

As a server, it will be a slow one.

R

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
My buddy was running a 1.4 Willy with 512 RDRAM for Wolf and he wasn't happy with the performance of the machine. Now he has a new machine and says that the difference is beyond night and day.... You may want to reconsider using this CPU for a server.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetos316

My buddy was running a 1.4 Willy with 512 RDRAM for Wolf and he wasn't happy with the performance of the machine. Now he has a new machine and says that the difference is beyond night and day.... You may want to reconsider using this CPU for a server.

already have for about 200-250gbp i can build a pc for hostin a server/and or using it as a media center

1 - 7 of 7 Posts