Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have 1 gb of corsair twinx ram (2x 512mb) CMX512-3200XL with stock timings of 2-2-2-5. I was debating about buying another gig (2x512).

Will I see a noticable performance increase at stock? The stuff is expensive ($250 CDN) so I would like some opinions as to what it will do. I run MS Office, DVD apps and run games (Riddick, guild wars, joint operations, splinter cell chaos theory). Will I get a boost in gaming? Also will my benches increase in general?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Your games and multitasking will probably benefit just from the extra size, but performance will decrease in benchmarks......you will be giving up speed, for the extra gig. You will have to run looser timings, and wont be able to OC as high.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Gaming you will see a MAJOR increase as all gamers do when doubling memory.....specially in BF2, you programs will run a lot smoother and faster
, i would suggest it

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar
i currently have 1 gb of corsair twinx ram (2x 512mb) CMX512-3200XL with stock timings of 2-2-2-5. I was debating about buying another gig (2x512).

Will I see a noticable performance increase at stock? The stuff is expensive ($250 CDN) so I would like some opinions as to what it will do. I run MS Office, DVD apps and run games (Riddick, guild wars, joint operations, splinter cell chaos theory). Will I get a boost in gaming? Also will my benches increase in general?

Thanks
As far as I've heard, the only game that realy likes 2GB RAM is BF2. Other than that, ther performance gains are minimal to negligable. Until Vista arrives, the real difference between 1GB vs. 2GB will be minimal, unless you open like three instances of PS at the same time.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
bf2, cod2 and fear all love 2 gig of ram, I also found improvement in HL2, as mentioned running 4 x 512 sticks can be a pain if you are a benchie freak and the ram will most probably not enjoy running at its stock speed, for instance Ive had to slow my ram down to under 200mhz to keep it stable, I am currently looking for some new ram and it will be 2 x 1 gig sticks, 2 gig is the only way, even if it means having 4 x 512, the only people that seem to not like the idea of 2 gig of ram are the crew that dont have it, 2 GIG IS BETTER OVERALL ( I mean the people that dont have it in a nice way) and once youve got the ram you will have it for a long time so you should get ya moneys worth

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll put the money towards a new power supply and a second 7800GT instead.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun
As far as I've heard, the only game that realy likes 2GB RAM is BF2. Other than that, ther performance gains are minimal to negligable. Until Vista arric=ves, the real difference between 1GB vs. 2GB will be minimal, unless you open like three instances of PS at the same time.
Every MMO I've played also uses more than 1 GB of ram.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wouldn't put it towards another 7800, sell that memory you have and pick up a 2x1GB kit...SLi is overkill with 7800's. Another waste of money IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar
Thanks guys. I'll put the money towards a new power supply and a second 7800GT instead.
I feel that is a much better implementation of your money.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Pick what feels right, if I had a chance I would go with the new PSU and 7800GT having Sli will be neat but ya wont need it for awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I stuck a second 1gig matched set in my rig (same as what i have now) and was not inpressed with the outcome. It will default to PC2700 and overclocked like crap, so i swapped them out a 2gig kit and still no big diff so i took them back ( I had the Mushkin Redline). At this time I don't think it's needed. Soon though it will be.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don't what the fuss is about BF2 and 2gb ram. I run it on max settings on a 6600gt AGP, no "stuttering" which people moan about, with at least 30 fps (All I have to do is turn off AA, and that is it). This is value, mixed ram (2x512), none dual channel, on an old asrock mobo with a socket A 2800.... Like I have explained to numerous people, you don't need a monster system to play games. And fear?!? I can play that on max settings with AA on full!!! It must be some kind of super 6600gt or something. I would keep what you have, unless you have alot of money. But whatever, if I could, I would have a super computer, so why not

1 - 14 of 14 Posts