Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i wanted to pick up a 2x1 GB of RAM but i dont quite have the money. so what i was wondering is if everything would run ok if i picked up a 1 Gig stick & just replaced one of my 512mb sticks with it, so i would have 1.5 gigs of ram. 1 gig stick and 1 512mb stick... would everything run/boot fine?

Thanks 2 helpers

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
i dont see why not of course without that other 512mb's itl load slower and if the 512 ram is slower that the 1gb one it will hold your computer back from meeting its full potential.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
The problem with getting 2 different sized of ram, is your OCing will suffer. Thats the only disadvantage, other then that your fine. But if you want max OC, get a matched set of ram.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
You might suffer instability too, depending on how picky your board is with RAM

I don't believe it will run dual channel either - if I were you I'd sell your current RAM and use the money to buy even better stuff

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
I was running a stick of 1GB @ 400Mhz and 256MB @ 400Mhz, never had a problem with it. I didn't overclock at the time but, meh, RAM is RAM.

If you happen to put a DDR133 and a DDR400 together it'll try to run the 400Mhz at 133Mhz. Mismatched voltages is also a problem with some Mobo's

·
Banned
5,464 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosser13
View Post

You might suffer instability too, depending on how picky your board is with RAM

I don't believe it will run dual channel either - if I were you I'd sell your current RAM and use the money to buy even better stuff

I dont see why in the hell you would suffer instability.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonCallihan
View Post

I dont see why in the hell you would suffer instability.

He could suffer instability if the new RAM is not compatiable with the motherboard. For that, he just needs to verify that the new 1GB is on the approved list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts