Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for my upgrades
look at what I have now, its AWESOME !!! lol

im gonna get a 7800GS AGP, just cuz Im raw liek that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143046

and some HDD

and i want 2 gigs of ram
but ill settle for 1
i want 2-2-2-5 timings but ill take sorta looser ones and play with it
i can spend another 2-300 on the ram

what should I buy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
Are you upgrading you psu? You are going to want to if you want your system to run safely with all that stuff you have. The 7800gs itself can use 75 watts or more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
I would also recommend the EVGA 7800gs superclocked over the BFG. Both have very good warranties but the EVGA is $10 more with about an 8-10% increase in performance and the EVGA step-up program which lets you trade in your card for a better one within 3 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaziel
Are you upgrading you psu? You are going to want to if you want your system to run safely with all that stuff you have. The 7800gs itself can use 75 watts or more.
yes sir I am
after everything
(im gonna get those amazing OCZ Titamium sticks that were suggested)
now I need over $700
hooray!!
but its worth it for me

DONT TELL ME TO BUY A NEW CPU MOBO AND VIDEOCARD FOR THAT MUCH!!!!!
MINE RUNS FINE AND I DONT WANA CHANGE IT
EXCEPT MAYBE GET AN ASUS MOBO FOR ANOTHER $100
lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaziel
I would also recommend the EVGA 7800gs superclocked over the BFG. Both have very good warranties but the EVGA is $10 more with about an 8-10% increase in performance and the EVGA step-up program which lets you trade in your card for a better one within 3 months.
LINK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
(collapses out of chair)



......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehybridpyro
LINK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
(collapses out of chair)



......
Calm down.
I recommend two of these sticks. They will give you some tremendous head room (Up to DDR600), or you can scale down for some nice timings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Since you're getting a 7800GS...I'm taking it you like to play games, in that case 2 gigs is almost a necessity. But if you still want to get 1 gig, which is usually better for overclocking, then these are really nice:


1 Gig:


OCZ EL Platinum Rev 2 = $166
G.SKILL GBGH = $140


2 Gigs:


OCZ Platinum
= $228
G.SKILL GBHX = $245

Or these ones are nice, I have them. But they are DDR500 and have loose timings, but I am able to run them at 270 mhz (DDR540) with 3-4-4-8 and 2.6v.

G.SKILL Extreme GBHZ = $197
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now with that superclocked 7800
how do I do that later trade-it-in-thingy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehybridpyro
now with that superclocked 7800
how do I do that later trade-it-in-thingy
With your original recipt, if you want to "step-up" to another card within 90 days, you may by just paying the difference in the two prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
Check out EVGA's website. If you send the card back to them within 3 months following all the steps and hoops they tell you to jump through they credit you with the price of the card towards the purchase of a new EVGA card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I am sort of in the same dilemma as you hybrid. Sorry, dont mean to hyjack your thread, but I was just wondering if you would actually see a big performance difference it getting 2x1 gig sticks over 2x512
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,859 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

for my upgrades
look at what I have now, its AWESOME !!! lol

im gonna get a 7800GS AGP, just cuz Im raw liek that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143046

and some HDD

and i want 2 gigs of ram
but ill settle for 1
i want 2-2-2-5 timings but ill take sorta looser ones and play with it
i can spend another 2-300 on the ram

what should I buy

Hi Hybridpyro,

My 2 cents for ram. Crucial Ballistix. I have a full 2 Gb and run tight timings of 2,2,2,6 at 215 fsb right now. They have been as high as 223fsb at these timings. Anandtech also has a review of memory timings vs high fsb..

Here's a link to a review of several types and you can decide from there:
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2676

I hope this helped, :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,859 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

for my upgrades
look at what I have now, its AWESOME !!! lol

im gonna get a 7800GS AGP, just cuz Im raw liek that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143046

and some HDD

and i want 2 gigs of ram
but ill settle for 1
i want 2-2-2-5 timings but ill take sorta looser ones and play with it
i can spend another 2-300 on the ram

what should I buy

Hi again HybridPyro,

Here's a link to Crucial:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...D6LRS&tabid=PM

The memory is for your motherboard and 1Gb is $136.99 USD. You mentioned that you have $200-300. So I think this is well within your price range. BTW - i've used this web site and it's excellent with excellent service as well. You won't be disappointed...

Take care, :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks alot
I was lookin at ballisitx for a while
but I want 2 gigs of ram
eh this is hard

455buick I love that site for my mobo
to bad there and arent 2x1gig modules or single gig stick that they "verify"
do u think that if I bought 2 ballistix sticks pc4000 or higher
and underclocke d em I could get better timings?

for mitchc05
yeah Ive heard for games and high intensity grapghics, 2 gigs give a HUGE boost over 2x512
and dont even get 4x512 if u can 2x1024

bringing 100-200 more dollars this weekend
ill be able to buy my stuff in a month or two at most
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Banned
Joined
·
230 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dopin_Nuts

Or these ones are nice, I have them. But they are DDR500 and have loose timings, but I am able to run them at 270 mhz (DDR540) with 3-4-4-8 and 2.6v.

G.SKILL Extreme GBHZ = $197

get the ddr400 and OC it to ddr520 with 3-3-3-5 timings
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top