Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate school with a fiery passion. I'd rather have my genitalia imploded by a giant cactus than go back another day, though I am forced.

Convince me to stay in school for my final year.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Try visualizing what you will lose if you drop out. Ask people that know you and care about you IRL as well and remember that people that care, tell the truth.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
I'm assuming we're talking about high school here. That said, a GED looks much worse on a resume than an actual diploma.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Be it high school or college, I've never met anyone IRL who said they didn't regret dropping out. I've heard a few stories of people who it worked out for, but those are few and far between.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
I got a degree in Engineering. Now I work all over the world in very interesting places. I am currently in Mexico, when I finish here I will be in the UK for a month or so before moving on. Where to? Who knows? As a bonus I get paid a shed load for it, free meals (expenses) and no rent. Think of all the computer parts you can buy with that.

Beats working in a shop or flipping burgers. Or getting shot at for a living.

A little work now will help in the long term, hard as it seems.

Edit: Incidentally my current avatar is a pic of me working in a power station in Australia. I was there for 3 months, loved every minute of it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If this is high school, then imagine yourself as a deadbeat, cast out by your parents for such a dumb move, nobody's gonna help you, you're on your own. Your only options are working in food service, crappy shops and stores, and have no way of getting anywhere unless you join the military.

OR

You can finish up, go to college, party hard, have the time of your life, forget about the real world for 4 or more years, and deal with it all then with better prospects.

Hard choice, I know. Life is SOOOO rough.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
All of the kids from my HS class ('06) who dropped out are not doing anything, barely getting by, working dead-end jobs etc, etc. It may look like the easy way out now, but in 20 years you'll be kicking yourself.

Not everything in life is fun so suck it up, put forth your best effort, and get your HS diploma.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Take it from a 33 year old college freshmen, stay in school, you'll thank me later...

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Don't just stay in school for your last year, do well.

I ran into a guy from my graduating class last year. I was 3 years into my degree and he was just starting his because he had to retake most of his courses as well as a few he elected not to just to get into post secondary.

Look at your sig rig. If you drop out thats what you'll be stuck with for the next decade because you'll never be able to afford computer parts as a dropout. Assuming you don't sell everything for food/rent because you can't afford the power bills that is.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Then don't go to school. Nobody really cares if you get a degree or not. Your parents? They'll get over it. Your teachers? They will have forgotten you within a month. You are going there for yourself, no one else. If you don't care for a career, don't get one, and there are other ways to socialize than school. Really, people make skipping school sound so bad, but what really happens if you don't go?

Oh, you might regret it later on, if you don't do other things well. I see plenty people without a highschool degree that have a perfectly good life, but I see people miserable and in the gutter as well. You are the boss of yourself, you decide where you want to go, but you need to make a decision. Don't ***** around in the middle.

Personally, I'm going to go to college because it seems interesting to me. I didn't like high-school at all, but I knew there was better stuff beyond high-school, so I put up with all the crap, and finished it. If I didn't see any good by beyond high-school, I wouldn't have gone.

<Copy pasted from another thread I posted in a while back. Thought it applied here, as well, assuming we're talking about HS>

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caraboose View Post
I hate school with a fiery passion. I'd rather have my genitalia imploded by a giant cactus than go back another day, though I am forced.

Convince me to stay in school for my final year.
You do want to be Middle Class don't you? Can't do it without that little piece of paper my man. Hurry...I hear the Middle Class is disappearing

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Does your state have a system where you can take a test and get a diploma? (It sounds similar to a GED, but they give you a full blown diploma, and it is legally required to be counted as such for means of employment). Here its called the CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Examination). Only downside is you have to be currently enrolled in high school to take it, and have to stay there until you get your test results (and pass) which takes about a month.

I took that in the first semester of my sophomore year, I couldn't be happier. I'm at the local CC right now working towards an AA degree.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Think about it this way. When you meet the girl of your dreams and she asks what do you do for a living, you better hope you have prepared yourself to the best of your ability.

Or you could be looking at craigslist jobs for the rest of your life, feel like life is a prison because you don't have the funds or the means to get something better for yourself.

Im sorry man but whining about one year is stupid especially if you aren't paying for it. Suck it up and get to work.

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
Don't just suck it up and 'get by'... Enjoy your last year. And **** giving up, if you become a quitter now that same feeling of "maybe I could just quit again" will stick around. If you don't have drive in this world you end up where you don't want to. Find what you enjoy the most, and make a career out of it. If that requires a college education, you'd better ****ing finish easy-ass high school and move onto learning what you want in college.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
You need some inspiration. If you lived near me, I'd bring you driving with me and a friend. We would bring an extra car. He takes the aston usually but you could choose between that or a gallardo(the inside is real dirty though LOL) - all to yourself.

You could have one of those every day if you don't drop out.

I still owe torquejunky a ride

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
You need some inspiration. If you lived near me, I'd bring you driving with me and a friend. We would bring an extra car. He takes the aston usually but you could choose between that or a gallardo(the inside is real dirty though LOL) - all to yourself.

You could have one of those every day if you don't drop out.
We need to hang. But I'd like to get to know how your friend got on the upper scale of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo View Post
Is this highschool or college? If it's highschool, man up and do the work. If it's college, drop out with the quickness and go to tech school, then you might actually have a job after you graduate.
You just implied the biggest generalization I have EVER heard, it borders on stupidity.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts