Overclock.net banner

What should I get for $1000?

• 2 Evga GTX 480s for 3-way sli awesomeness?

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • 2 More Dell U2410s for triple screen goodness?

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • 1 more Evga GTX 480 for sli goodness with raid 5 f3's and ssd's in raid 0 (or a 256gb)?

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Watercooling for Cpu, Gpu, Nb/Sb and an ssd or raid 5 f3's?

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Other, please post what it is.

Votes: 6 9.8%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Christmas I get to work at my Mom's buisness for 1 month and I am going to be getting some money for working there. I'm going to buy a dell u2410 in the next month, so keep that in mind. Should I get, 2 more u2410s, 2 more gtx 480s, water cooling for my cpu, gpu, nb/sb, or another gtx 480 and some new f3 1tb's in raid 5 with an awesome raid 0 ssd aray or with a single 256gb ssd. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
128GB SSD and another GTX 480!

• Rep+
Reactions: Willanhanyard

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
I wouldn't raid5 the F3's to be honest, you'll be better off with some green/eco drives. You're not going to be installing any games etc on it so you don't need massive speeds.

However that being said. Go with the new 480. Single SSD and the triple screen setup

Comps

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
I wouldn't raid5 the F3's to be honest, you'll be better off with some green/eco drives. You're not going to be installing any games etc on it so you don't need massive speeds.

However that being said. Go with the new 480. Single SSD and the triple screen setup

Comps
Umm, where did you get the idea that I'm not going to be installing any games? Thats all I use my computer for
.Also, I said I have a $1000 budget, a new 480 an ssd, and 2 more u2410s would be $1800 a bit over budget
, unless you wanted to give me $800

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
Umm, where did you get the idea that I'm not going to be installing any games? Thats all I use my computer for
.Also, I said I have a $1000 budget, a new 480 an ssd, and 2 more u2410s would be $1800 a bit over budget
, unless you wanted to give me $800
In which case you're being stupid putting games on a RAID5 array.

RAID5 is used for redundancy not performance. Your best bet is going to be using 2 drives and running a RAID0 array, in this case go with the samsung F3's with a RAID0 for your system partition.

Now moving further into this. You need to decide if you just want your OS on your SSD array or will you install games on it as well?

Comps

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

In which case you're being stupid putting games on a RAID5 array.

RAID5 is used for redundancy not performance. Your best bet is going to be using 2 drives and running a RAID0 array, in this case go with the samsung F3's with a RAID0 for your system partition.

Now moving further into this. You need to decide if you just want your OS on your SSD array or will you install games on it as well?

Comps
Well I chose raid 5 because it gives you speed+protection. Raid 0 sounds a bit iffy because I have lots of junk that I don't want to lose. That being said, raid 0 doubles your hdd failure rate so. I want to put games, my os, videos/movies, and photoshop stuff on the ssd.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Ok, you're making no sense now, you've contradicted yourself in a few posts.

You're going to be installing games on your RAID5 array. Which once again doesn't give you performance. RAID5 is primarily used for storage and thats it.

Are you going to be installing games on your RAID 5 array?

Are you just going to be using your RAID5 array for storage and putting a machine image on it incase you need to rebuild?

Comps

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Ok, you're making no sense now, you've contradicted yourself in a few posts.

You're going to be installing games on your RAID5 array. Which once again doesn't give you performance. RAID5 is primarily used for storage and thats it.

Are you going to be installing games on your RAID 5 array?

Are you just going to be using your RAID5 array for storage and putting a machine image on it incase you need to rebuild?

Comps
Raid 5 gives you hdd speed plus it backs up your data? Do you not know how it works?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
ok,

Considering that if your OS fails you'll have to reinstall all your games anyway it is completely pointless.

Also, I know how it works, I use them at work along with RAID53 and 1+0 arrays.... It is 100% pointless installing games on a RAID5 array. Also, it doesn't back up your data, it's a striped array with parity.

Learn your facts before you try telling people they are wrong.

Also, RAID5 is very slow for writing, and there is minimal increase if any with reading.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pino View Post
get the GTX 480s

fast question:
how big a difference is there between a single GTX 480,GTX 480 sli and GTX 480 3*Sli...??
With SLi you'll see a nice difference, however unless you're running 3D surround you'll not see much with a third. Also with 3 you will hit a CPU bottleneck.

Comps

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

ok,

Considering that if your OS fails you'll have to reinstall all your games anyway it is completely pointless.

Also, I know how it works, I use them at work along with RAID53 and 1+0 arrays.... It is 100% pointless installing games on a RAID5 array. Also, it doesn't back up your data, it's a striped array with parity.

Learn your facts before you try telling people they are wrong.

Also, RAID5 is very slow for writing, and there is minimal increase if any with reading.
I didn't know your os could fail. How does that happen? The "back up" part about raid5 is that if you lose one of your hdds you can get back your data. I don't see why it's not good to put games on it.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What, 6 people voted on tri sli 480s? That would give me frames that go past my monitor's refresh rate though. Why do you guys vote on that?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

I didn't know your os could fail. How does that happen? The "back up" part about raid5 is that if you lose one of your hdds you can get back your data. I don't see why it's not good to put games on it.
Because

A. What if your RAID0 array fails on your SSD's? That would equal a cataclysmic operating system failure.

B. Games register DLL files and modify files and registry keys in order to run. The RAID5 array wouldn't save your games because the Registry keys wouldn't be in the OS for them to run.

C. Once again, RAID5 doesn't back up your drives, You use drive space to make up the data across the array to rebuild a single disk if it fails. This is called parity

You really would be better off with something like a RAID0 array for your system drives. SSD obviously. Then a RAID5 array for storage and your system image.

There are applications that can backup your entire machine to a single file. Keep this on your RAID5 array rather than putting games on your RAID5 array. Seriously, you're pissing into the wind by putting games on there.

Also, the third GTX480 is pointless. Depending on the rest of your rig, unless you have your processor running at at least 4Ghz (i7 series) you'll bottleneck your CPU at 1920x1080 on two on a single monitor setup. There were some benchies banging around somewhere detailing it.

Quote:

What, 6 people voted on tri sli 480s? That would give me frames that go past my monitor's refresh rate though. Why do you guys vote on that?
Because they fail???

Comps

• Rep+
Reactions: Willanhanyard

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Because

A. What if your RAID0 array fails on your SSD's? That would equal a cataclysmic operating system failure.

B. Games register DLL files and modify files and registry keys in order to run. The RAID5 array wouldn't save your games because the Registry keys wouldn't be in the OS for them to run.

C. Once again, RAID5 doesn't back up your drives, You use drive space to make up the data across the array to rebuild a single disk if it fails. This is called parity

You really would be better off with something like a RAID0 array for your system drives. SSD obviously. Then a RAID5 array for storage and your system image.

There are applications that can backup your entire machine to a single file. Keep this on your RAID5 array rather than putting games on your RAID5 array. Seriously, you're pissing into the wind by putting games on there.

Also, the third GTX480 is pointless. Depending on the rest of your rig, unless you have your processor running at at least 4Ghz (i7 series) you'll bottleneck your CPU at 1920x1080 on two on a single monitor setup. There were some benchies banging around somewhere detailing it.

Because they fail???

Comps
Oh, know I get it!
I wasn't planning on getting a raid 5 ssd array, I was going to do that with the f3's. Then I would get a 120gb ssd and put my games, os, and a few programs. Also, about upgrading my monitor, should I get a 2560x1600 monitor and spend my $1k or stay with my u2410 and go triple screen in the future? Thanks for the info.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Oh, know I get it!
I wasn't planning on getting a raid 5 ssd array, I was going to do that with the f3's. Then I would get a 120gb ssd and put my games, os, and a few programs. Also, about upgrading my monitor, should I get a 2560x1600 monitor and spend my $1k or stay with my u2410 and go triple screen in the future? Thanks for the info.
I know you weren't planning an SSD Raid5 array, that would be even worse than putting games on a RAID5 array. But we got there in the end.

Yes, games, applications and your OS should go on your RAID0 array. RAID5 for your system image and files.

I would say, go triple screen, it's much nicer
the chicks love it

lol

Comps

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

I know you weren't planning an SSD Raid5 array, that would be even worse than putting games on a RAID5 array. But we got there in the end.

Yes, games, applications and your OS should go on your RAID0 array. RAID5 for your system image and files.

I would say, go triple screen, it's much nicer
the chicks love it

lol

Comps
I would get a triple monitor setup, but I need another gtx 480 or an expensive converter box thingy. Do you think I should get a 2560x1600 monitor over a u2410?

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I'd probably grab a GTX 480 and another U2410, but that option isn't available. Tri-SLI is a waste of money and power at 1920x1080/1200.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug
View Post

I'd probably grab a GTX 480 and another U2410, but that option isn't available. Tri-SLI is a waste of money and power at 1920x1080/1200.

But then I would have to look at an ugly bezel while I'm gaming with two monitors.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts